Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Thor-Stryker posted:

No it's true gentlemen, D.VA can last longer than Winston, but that's because she pops out of the mech and spends the next two minutes trying to survive as a squishy rather than eating the respawn timer and becoming effective again.

It takes like 10 hits to get back into your mech. She just has a big head that is her only real problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Star posted:

I think my favorite part is when Reinhardts don't know that Winston's gun penetrates their shield. I don't know how many people I've seen who just stand there, holding their shield, thinking they're safe.

It's the same thing with Sym's R-Click. They just stupidly watch this slow orb move toward them and then don't understand how it kills the Bastion behind the shield. Things like that will get less and less effective as people get more and more familiar with the game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Y'all motherfuckers sound like you're just really bad with Dva? I don't know if Winston is technically "better" and I don't really give a poo poo because why would you not just play the characters you like.

Dva does more than enough damage if you're being effective with your boosters and spacing. Plus she's a cutie!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Dude at work only plays as Reaper, Widowmaker, and Bastion. He's my friend, but I kind of hate him now.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As a Roadhog player, D.Vas are a pain in the rear end to deal with, while Winstons are easy to control. D.Va can also fly out of bottomless pits when you hook her into one ><

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Environmental kills are my new favorite thing. Blasting people off cliffs with Lucio or Pharah never gets old.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

JollyPubJerk posted:

As a Roadhog player, D.Vas are a pain in the rear end to deal with, while Winstons are easy to control. D.Va can also fly out of bottomless pits when you hook her into one ><

Yeah but that's pretty much unique to roadhog. He doesn't exploit dva's glaring weaknesses, mostly her head box.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

JollyPubJerk posted:

I pulled a move I saw in one of the gifs posted here where a Reinhardt tried to shove me off the stage but I rocket boosted back up. It was great and my friends thought it was amazing :thumbsup:

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Y'all motherfuckers sound like you're just really bad with Dva? I don't know if Winston is technically "better" and I don't really give a poo poo because why would you not just play the characters you like.

Dva does more than enough damage if you're being effective with your boosters and spacing. Plus she's a cutie!

Some people like characters that arent bad

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

TheTatteredKing posted:

Yeah but that's pretty much unique to roadhog. He doesn't exploit dva's glaring weaknesses, mostly her head box.

Hmm, a meatshot into a gigantic headbox is certainly playing to D.Va's strengths

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Ahhpple posted:

Some people like characters that arent bad

Pro-tip: Dva isn't bad. You're actually just bad with her. Hth!

Dva players should be boosting in, pinning a squishy character to a wall, unloading cannons until they die. At that point, you've probably got enemy players on you, so put your shield up until your boosters recharge. Then boost away. Hit a med-kit if you need health back.

Dva is meant to harass and escape, and her tools help her do that.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brannock posted:

Hmm, a meatshot into a gigantic headbox is certainly playing to D.Va's strengths

A Roadhog combo doesn't kill D.Va, and even if you have support behind you to help finish her, you have to deal with her, at range, afterwards, which isn't always easy. Good D.Va players will push you around the map into bad positions and you melt to her teammates. I think the hero just has a high skill cap you aren't seeing lovely players exploit like they do with Bastions. gently caress Bastions. I'm getting triggered by Bastion POTGs.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

slev posted:

I feel like McCree shouldn't get to keep 50% charge on his ult if he decides to cancel it.

I didn't know he did, but as someone trying to learn McCree I would argue that's hugely important, it's nigh impossible to get value of of that ult. It's one of those things where you remember the times you get wrecked by it, but not the times it fizzles. I almost always kill an enemy McCree before they fire, and I'm not good, or even competent. I'm a high mouse sensitivity mouth breather. It's just really easy to find the McCree because he announces himself, has to be in a position where many enemy players have LoS on him, and then struts veeeery veeeery slowly. That poo poo needs a cancel

How do you do said cancel, Q again?

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
After playing (badly) a few matches last night in a full group I'd rather never play with pubbies again. What's the best way to avoid them, just throw random invites to everyone in my friends list and check discord?

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

PantsBandit posted:

Pro-tip: Dva isn't bad. You're actually just bad with her. Hth!

Dva players should be boosting in, pinning a squishy character to a wall, unloading cannons until they die. At that point, you've probably got enemy players on you, so put your shield up until your boosters recharge. Then boost away. Hit a med-kit if you need health back.

No she's bad, she just isn't super terrible unplayable. This is how you play her but her head hitbox is HUGE.

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug
Does Hanzo's sonic arrow persist through his death? Sometimes when I'm about to die I plop one down - am I just wasting a cooldown?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

JollyPubJerk posted:

A Roadhog combo doesn't kill D.Va, and even if you have support behind you to help finish her, you have to deal with her, at range, afterwards, which isn't always easy. Good D.Va players will push you around the map into bad positions and you melt to her teammates. I think the hero just has a high skill cap you aren't seeing lovely players exploit like they do with Bastions. gently caress Bastions. I'm getting triggered by Bastion POTGs.

Lol if you're getting pushed around the map by a D.Va. the second a D.Va rockets into me, I just use the knockback and airstrafe away from her primary range.

If you haven't killed D.Va before she can boost again then you suck at playing against D.Va.

PantsBandit posted:

D.Va isn't Reinhardt, she can't pin people to walls and will more than likely knock her targets away rather than corner them if she rocket boosts.

And Winston is meant to harass and escape as well, he just doesn't have a huge headbox and a lovely primary weapon.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thor-Stryker posted:

Lol if you're getting pushed around the map by a D.Va. the second a D.Va rockets into me, I just use the knockback and airstrafe away from her primary range.

If you haven't killed D.Va before she can boost again then you suck at playing against D.Va.

I'm going to let this post immortalize. Please tell me how to airstrafe on Roadhog, I'm missing something.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
When playing DVa if you fly in, kill 1-2 people, distract the rest of their team, pop your matrix then fly off while your team picks off the distracted team, you've done your job.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Thor-Stryker posted:

D.Va isn't Reinhardt, she can't pin people to walls and will more than likely knock her targets away rather than corner them if she rocket boosts.

And Winston is meant to harass and escape as well, he just doesn't have a huge headbox and a lovely primary weapon.

She's not Winston or Reinhardt, but she can do a bit of what each of them can. She's a totally different hero with her own playstyle that is better in some situations than Winston.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
you keep saying pin them to the wall, but the boost just knocks them away once and then they can just run right through you while you're waddling around like a slow fat rear end in a top hat and once they get further than the length of a gnat's dick you do gently caress all damage

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

When playing DVa if you fly in, kill 1-2 people, distract the rest of their team, pop your matrix then fly off while your team picks off the distracted team, you've done your job.

Hell even if you only kill 1 or none people but cause 3 or 4 of them to turn and chase you as you fly away you are worth you slot on the team.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's weird that they put DVA in the tank category, it's kind of misleading

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

No, you see Dva is objectively garbage. It doesn't matter if you play her well, I can't get kills with her so she's garbage :downswords:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

whaam posted:

Hell even if you only kill 1 or none people but cause 3 or 4 of them to turn and chase you as you fly away you are worth you slot on the team.

This guy gets it.
DVa's role is distract, annoy, whittle down opposing forces, and survive.

If your suit blows up, your laser is pretty handy at picking off enemies, plugging up a doorway with constant fire, and you can get a mech called down relatively quickly if you're aggressive but able to use cover and medkit locations effectively.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Are achievements buggy or is it just me? Took me 6 attempts of actually doing the Reinheardt Earth, Storm, and Fire to get it to count successfully doing it each time.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!
D.Va does like 3x more damage than Winston but it requires you to actually track your shots, and if you can do that there's not much reason for you, personally, to be playing a tank. :smuggo:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Slime posted:

you keep saying pin them to the wall, but the boost just knocks them away once and then they can just run right through you while you're waddling around like a slow fat rear end in a top hat and once they get further than the length of a gnat's dick you do gently caress all damage

You boost into them to push them away from the rest of their team, from there as long as you're landing headshots and didn't try and take down a zarya or some poo poo you should be able to easily get a kill. She really does good damage and can easily kill before the target escapes.

By "pin to a wall" what I mean I shove someone into a box or hallway that many of the maps are dotted with. Isolating and closing range on enemies is how Dva works, if you're good with your boost you can predict where they'll end up.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ormi posted:

D.Va does like 3x more damage than Winston but it requires you to actually track your shots, and if you can do that there's not much reason for you, personally, to be playing a tank. :smuggo:

When the rest of my team is DPS plus a healer, might as well.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

You boost into them to push them away from the rest of their team, from there as long as you're landing headshots and didn't try and take down a zarya or some poo poo you should be able to easily get a kill. She really does good damage and can easily kill before the target escapes.

By "pin to a wall" what I mean I shove someone into a box or hallway that many of the maps are dotted with. Isolating and closing range on enemies is how Dva works, if you're good with your boost you can predict where they'll end up.

She absolutely melts any of the softer classes at mid range, especially if you isolate them. Isolated people always seem to try and take you head on and it's a losing proposition.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Zarya is the cockblock of overwatch. So many ults I've completely ate with my shield. I wonder when mccrees and Junkrats will realize that they're just making me stronger. I've started to intentionally jump in front of Hanzo ults to bring up charge.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

JollyPubJerk posted:

I'm going to let this post immortalize. Please tell me how to airstrafe on Roadhog, I'm missing something.

Sure, when D.Va comes at you, start moving backwards and jump when she hits you, then immediately press left or right strafe while slowly turning in the opposite direction and your Roadhog will curve in the air. You can also retain a small bit of backward momentum if you hop as soon as you touch the ground again.

This is assuming you want to get away from D.Va as Roadhog, I would just shotgun her in the face at that point.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Dead Like Rev posted:

Are achievements buggy or is it just me? Took me 6 attempts of actually doing the Reinheardt Earth, Storm, and Fire to get it to count successfully doing it each time.

I was on a 6 stack and some people got the shutout achievement but I didn't :iiam:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ularg posted:

Zarya is the cockblock of overwatch. So many ults I've completely ate with my shield. I wonder when mccrees and Junkrats will realize that they're just making me stronger. I've started to intentionally jump in front of Hanzo ults to bring up charge.

I'm garbage with Zarya. Keep up the lord's work because a good Zarya is a valuable asset.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Sure, when D.Va comes at you, start moving backwards and jump when she hits you, then immediately press left or right strafe while slowly turning in the opposite direction and your Roadhog will curve in the air. You can also retain a small bit of backward momentum if you hop as soon as you touch the ground again.

This is assuming you want to get away from D.Va as Roadhog, I would just shotgun her in the face at that point.

DVa charging a Roadhog is a bad DVa.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Is Lijang Tower not in rotation now? I hit 20 and haven't played on any of those maps once.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Onion Knight posted:

Is Lijang Tower not in rotation now? I hit 20 and haven't played on any of those maps once.

Played it last night. Speaking of the map rotation, they really need to tweak it. I played Route 66 seven times in a row last night.

And I hate route 66

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

This would be all fine and dandy except she can't move and shoot at regular speed. If you box someone into a hallway they will just run away and take the chip damage.
Instead, most side-laners will just out-DPS you because you have no mobility while shooting.

Are pro-comps running D.Va now or something? I'm still struggling to see how D.Va does something more/better than Winston, they have nearly identical skillsets after all.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

IronDoge posted:

Environmental kills are my new favorite thing. Blasting people off cliffs with Lucio or Pharah never gets old.

It is actually amazing that the game "counts" these kills correctly as kills because of your action/interference.
Another - I call it - feature thats makes Overwatch so amazing :peanut:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

This would be all fine and dandy except she can't move and shoot at regular speed. If you box someone into a hallway they will just run away and take the chip damage.
Instead, most side-laners will just out-DPS you because you have no mobility while shooting.

Are pro-comps running D.Va now or something? I'm still struggling to see how D.Va does something more/better than Winston, they have nearly identical skillsets after all.

They have different roles. Like I prefer winston on the Illios map where the point is lowered and surrounded by the anciet Grecian looking wall structures, but I prefer DVa on the map with the pit in the middle.

Dont know much about pro-comps though. I could see pro-comps sticking to Rein and Roadhog for a majority of tanking needs, but again I haven't looked at the "pro" stuff at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Thor-Stryker posted:

No idea. I'm playing on console so my opinion probably doesn't even matter to goons, but I'm just saying she isn't objectively poo poo compared to Winston. And she's a lot of fun to play.