Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Is nobody playing this game anymore? I keep having rematches in ranked.
Also it sucks to not win ever because I'm that much worse than everybody else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

A bunch of things

Yeah, that's pretty much my list of "desired changes". Faster startup/recovery on fireballs and actual rewarding AAs (like, make the ones that CC better) would be great too. Also add Rose.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Lhet posted:

Is nobody playing this game anymore? I keep having rematches in ranked.
Also it sucks to not win ever because I'm that much worse than everybody else.

The player base has dropped dramatically to where you'll only ever be matched against the like ultra-silvers and stuff who are still playing. Sorry, it sucks, but the game flopped.

I still like it though. :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

See

<- This

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Can we use this thread as an Overwatch thread instead. I only read posts from Brosnan in the other thread anyway.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the bottom of the rankings fell out so if you're a bronze you get 9 matches against silvers for every bronze.

games dead

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
this isn't just an SFV issue, no fighting game is going to keep up a big enough concurrent player count for skill based matchmaking to function. I'm afraid the only solution is to get good.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's true. It's the inherent problem with 1v1 games, you can't sluff skill disparities like you can in team based games with matchmaking. Don't get too good though, the legit good players also have a horrible time finding competitive matches (see http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765346&pagenumber=236&perpage=40#post460071397).

If it's any consolation you can read my post in the Xrd thread two months ago about going 0-50 online (or maybe worse) online when starting out. Now I go online as a mediocre player and feel like 50% of the guys online are about at my level of mediocrity. I think netplay for fighting games after the first month of hype and population approaches some central limit of "I know how to play fighting games but am pretty meh overall" as the low end casuals skill up/give up and the high end disappear to locals and private lobbies. For the ones with vaguely modern audiences any ways, I'd imagine obscure fightcade lobbies might have some scary talent in them with the old school guys hanging around.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 26, 2016

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
How can I play with goons? I don't care about the hate for this game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Golem II posted:

How can I play with goons? I don't care about the hate for this game.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765001

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Also, I haven't played online in awhile and I get connected to people lagging despite putting 5 for connection.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I posted in that thread but never got added by anyone

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
There is no way to tell if somebody is online in SF5. The friends list is one-way, you can add anybody and try to invite them but you're given no indication of them actually being online so you have to coordinate with them outside of the game to organize private lobbies.

About the only thing it's good for is harassing streamers.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Golem II posted:

Also, I haven't played online in awhile and I get connected to people lagging despite putting 5 for connection.

yeah there's probably nothing going wrong with your connection that's just the lovely netcode.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Zand posted:

haven't noticed this "weird pushback" at all.

Grab Gief vs e.g. Ken and try to combo i think its jumpin anything, c.MP c.LK Lariat. Which fails. Then try jumpin, c.MP s.LK Lariat. Well waddaya know, its a hit, because less pushback.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Mega Comrade posted:

What would Capcom need to do to please some of the more predominant haters in this thread out of curiosity?

Would reducing the 8-frame input issue, adding arcade/shop, fixing online issues and sort out some of the modelling be enough?
Or are there more underlying issues with the gameplay that are also a problem?

Literally making it super turbo or CvS 2, anything else and the same names will still dig their heels in.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Here's what you have to do to make SF5 better (good??):

Reduce input lag to 5 frames at the very most. Increase (or decrease) dash startup (or not) depending on new amount of lag. Every character should not be 3s Makoto. Increase *variety* in dash startup and distances also. Maybe Ken can keep his super fast dash, maybe Chun shouldn't, etc. Way too many super fast dashes that won't be reactable (outside of block/tech) even with way less input lag.

Adjust hitboxes wildly. Remove the "feature" where every long normal is actually a short normal that shifts the character and thus hurtbox massively forward before becoming active. Remove the huge extended hurtboxes that always, without exception, appear before normals go active. Please for the love of god make more normals have hitboxes that exist outside of hurtboxes so they become good and interesting and have optimal ranges and situations to use them. Remove massive hurtboxes that surround every jumpin.

Increase walk speed.

Increase throw range and reduce throw startup. We're never getting 1 button throws so 3f throws with better range is fine.

Increase block advantage on stuff, especially fireballs. Give me normals that are better than +1/2. Make a sweep that isn't at least -10 on block for fucks sake. Maybe somebody should have a *gasp* SAFE sweep? Or maybe a cancellable one.

Remove crush counter from backdashes, increase throw invincibility on backdashes. If you didn't know, throw invincibility on backdashes lasts *2 frames* which is the same as natural throw protection on wakeup or coming out of blockstun. Some backdashes don't move enough (or at all) for reversal backdash to actually avoid meaty or proper tick throws. You would actually have to delay your backdash by a frame or two.

Fix the weird pushback. Normals have completely arbitrary amounts of pushback. Lights up close cause massive amounts of pushback especially on hit. Stuff like sweeps cause literally no pushback so they are braindead consistent to punish, especially considering the universal terrible hitboxes and shifting hurtboxes. Increase pushback on fireballs so that there is any at all.

Chip damage kills.

V-reversals more negative or punishable on block. More variety at least. Maybe the really fast/long ones should be more negative. Maybe the movement ones should actually have vulnerable frames? Maybe not make them 100% strike invincible the whole way through, so more interesting counters exist.

Normalize the buffer. Why are the input buffers for throws/dash/normals/specials all different? Why does the length of the input buffer change depending on whether you're waking up, coming out of blockstun, or recovering from a move? Why didn't you just slap a 3f input buffer on everything and be done with it?

Add Urien.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the only significant thing they're going to add to this game is microtransactions

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

In Training posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the only significant thing they're going to add to this game is microtransactions

One could argue even that's not certain at this point.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

In Training posted:

I know.

The main reason for the post was because a lot of people focus on the 8 frames of lag or various issues beyond gameplay that everyone can understand and agree are bad. I feel there's a lot of issues with the game design itself that, even if it were a fully featured game with functional netcode and a sane amount of input lag, prevent me and others from enjoying the game.

I also find that discussion more interesting, though only slighty and certainly less entertaining, than endless dog piling on what a technical mess the game is It's diminished somewhat by the defenders coming in and repeating "you just don't like it because it's different" or "this game is about READS man" instead of any kind of nuanced view of fighting game design.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I feel like turning on the micro transactions may actually kill the game for a lot of players. At this point they're probably better off going the dying MMO route: free to play with unlocks. Everyone who wants to pay the sixty dollars get the characters without any more purchasing, skins only for purchase outside of basic ones like they have now, maybe a character rotation for free players. Season pass holders maybe get all the skins as the addition, beyond even just the dlc characters.

If they release a couple more characters though and then slap in the cash shop and lock them the remaining players are going to flip. Either way though if they want the game to last they're going to need to slow the attrition at least.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't think chip damage kills are good or interesting, and I'd rather they didn't put them in, because being chipped out is never fun to play through or watch.

The rest of bebop's list is good, though.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't think chip damage kills are good or interesting, and I'd rather they didn't put them in, because being chipped out is never fun to play through or watch.

Chip damage kills create a more interesting dynamic, especially if there are tools to avoid a move that would chip. No chip kills incentivizes both players to play extremely cautious in low-life situations, because it is objectively the best way to play. With chip kills you can have either person playing hyper-aggressively, one desperate to chip the opponent and kill them and the other desperate to limit the opponents options to chip them. Baiting and punishing desperate chip attempts, reacting or reading "guaranteed" chip damage with invincible moves, misjudging chip damage and doing massively unsafe things on block.

Like it's ridiculously obvious even if you're somebody who has only played/watched SF4 and SF5 that it's a huge element missing that was very prevalent in SF4 and led to interesting interactions and hype matches. Even in situations where both players play extremely cautiously, the situations are much less drawn out and much more tense with the threat of a chip kill.

Instead in SF5 we get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8tRwE__JwM&t=117s

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
TBH I don't think the game is going to fall apart without additional changes if you go from 8f to 5f of input lag; it'd play pretty well actually. Even if Capcom did design the game around that much input lag to account for netplay or whatever, it's probably one of the dumbest ideas for a street fighter game ever; 3f is too drastic of a difference no matter how much they tried to mask it with changing frame data. I'm not even convinced they did this well either, there's still an absurd amount of things in the game that are "too fast" hence the need for so much anticipation in people's play. Netplay being close to offline play is a good thing when it's netplay looking like offline, not the other way around.

The only game I can excuse that kind of change is Tekken; that kind of drastic change is a necessary evil since the game would otherwise be unplayable online.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think chip damage kills are a good thing. I would chip people out a loving ton back in the day. Getting chipped out doesn't really bother me because usually I'm almost dead anyway. Mostly I just miss being able to chip people out. Instead like bebop said, it grinds matches to a halt.

e: also give Cammy her old standing roundhouse back and make her fierce do crush counter too. Thanks!

I also wish I could do instant divekicks on the ground like in SF4 and that Rolento was in the game but that's just because I'm a douche nozzle so it's probably best if you ignore those two suggestions

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 26, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

No chip kills gives the losing player a crazy powerful upper hand right at the end of the match and is a really dumb idea. Pretty clearly the idea of somebody thinking about how epic it would look on stream and not the actual mechanical implications of it

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

apple posted:

TBH I don't think the game is going to fall apart without additional changes if you go from 8f to 5f of input lag; it'd play pretty well actually. Even if Capcom did design the game around that much input lag to account for netplay or whatever, it's probably one of the dumbest ideas for a street fighter game ever; 3f is too drastic of a difference no matter how much they tried to mask it with changing frame data. I'm not even convinced they did this well either, there's still an absurd amount of things in the game that are "too fast" hence the need for so much anticipation in people's play. Netplay being close to offline play is a good thing when it's netplay looking like offline, not the other way around.

The only game I can excuse that kind of change is Tekken; that kind of drastic change is a necessary evil since the game would otherwise be unplayable online.

Namco did this correctly in tag 2 and sc5 though, where they actually roll the built in offline delay into the latency so online feels more like playing offline.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

There's been some retarded poo poo posted in this thread recently but...

In Training posted:

No chip kills gives the losing player a crazy powerful upper hand
... what?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Also while this list of problems is valid, it's huge and basically requires a total revamp of the game. This poo poo isn't happening anytime soon because Capcom is still desperately scrambling to get the game in a state anywhere close to seeming "finished".

They said they wouldn't do a title update, but I think they are really going to have to relaunch the game as "Super Street Fighter V" if they intend to save it. It worked for Final Fantasy XIV, but that's a rare case and nothing short of a miracle that they managed to turn it around and make a profit. Basically for those who don't know, the initial release of Final Fantasy XIV was one of the worst trainwrecks I have ever seen in my life that even puts SFV to shame and it was so bad that they had to cancel the game and make an entirely new one with the same name from the ground up.

SFV should also be like Killer Instinct where it's free to play, but you only have access to a couple characters unless you pay. And they should shuffle around which characters are free every month or so to get people playing someone other than Ryu or Ken.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Biggz posted:

There's been some retarded poo poo posted in this thread recently but...

... what?
Well the player with 0 life left obviously has the major disadvantage that 'a light attack will kill me'. But in SFV you also have the sudden advantage of not taking chip damage and not taking grey damage! It's really odd - once you're at 0 health you no longer need to care about avoiding specials and can just block everything instead, which can let you play a much safer playstyle.

It's a really counter-intuitive and odd thing but in SFV the player at 0 health actually has an advantage in one area.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Bisse posted:

Well the player with 0 life left obviously has the major disadvantage that 'a light attack will kill me'. But in SFV you also have the sudden advantage of not taking chip damage and not taking grey damage! It's really odd - once you're at 0 health you no longer need to care about avoiding specials and can just block everything instead, which can let you play a much safer playstyle.

It's a really counter-intuitive and odd thing but in SFV the player at 0 health actually has an advantage in one area.

:bravo:

If that safer play style is such a boon why not always play like that then? :rolleyes:

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Biggz posted:

If that safer play style is such a boon why not always play like that then? :rolleyes:

because during every other portion of the match, you're taking chip damage?

jesus man, read

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Biggz posted:

A much safer playstyle, in comparison to what you would play in a similar situation in a game with chip deaths. Or in comparison to the player who has more life left. Or in comparison to the times you have life to lose and playing extremely passively means taking avoidable chip or blocking normals that build up grey damage.

This isn't that hard, man.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Biggz posted:

:captainpop: sorry for your reading disability man

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

I'm still trying to figure out how no chip kills gives the losing player a crazy powerful upper hand, but maybe that's cos I cant read.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

At 1 health there is little to no downside to blocking moves that deal chip damage or grey (recoverable) life. You are immune to chip damage and grey damage from medium or heavy normals. The person who has health left is not immune to these things, so it is easier for the person with no health to damage the person who has health remaining.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Whenever my opponent is that low in health and starts turtling, I find it effective to play the same style. Sure, I have something to lose, but I also have more chances to nail a clean hit than they do. Either way, I find that turtling a losing opponent almost always causes them to lose patience and jump at me, netting an easy anti-air win.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Biggz posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how no chip kills gives the losing player a crazy powerful upper hand, but maybe that's cos I cant read.
Yeah, that's about the gist of it. I understood boxcarhobo perfectly, so yeah you probably can't read. You might wanna chill out and stop embarrassing yourself.

Nobody's saying that the player at zero life is in an overall superior position, but that the player with no life has now been handed an asset that the other player does not have - the ability to block everything that's done to them (supers aside) with nothing to lose. In certain matchups, this can be kinda huge. Say you're playing against a Guile who has a projectile-heavy gameplan in your matchup - you can just sit at the opposite end of the screen and dictate that he has to come closer to you if he wants to end the round. That's a distinct advantage that's only possible because of no-chip kills.

I mean, Daigo himself advises people to stock their super as much as possible as a counter to this specific advantage. It has a genuine effect on the flow of a match. I think Daigo probably knows his poo poo???

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Or let the timer run down.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Cat Machine posted:

Yeah, that's about the gist of it. I understood boxcarhobo perfectly, so yeah you probably can't read. You might wanna chill out and stop embarrassing yourself.

Nobody's saying that the player at zero life is in an overall superior position, but that the player with no life has now been handed an asset that the other player does not have - the ability to block everything that's done to them (supers aside) with nothing to lose. In certain matchups, this can be kinda huge. Say you're playing against a Guile who has a projectile-heavy gameplan in your matchup - you can just sit at the opposite end of the screen and dictate that he has to come closer to you if he wants to end the round. That's a distinct advantage that's only possible because of no-chip kills.

I mean, Daigo himself advises people to stock their super as much as possible as a counter to this specific advantage. It has a genuine effect on the flow of a match. I think Daigo probably knows his poo poo???

To expound on that, while you might think "okay, so what? They're down on life, if they sit there and do nothing they lose, right?", don't forget that YOU still can get chipped. Since a lot of matches are very close between people of similar skill levels, it puts you in this weird situation where you're winning, but you're at a disadvantage until you sneak in a jab or something. In SFV I feel like having 100 life and no life at all is almost the same thing way too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

give it up biggz zand already did this gimmick last page