Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Check that the trigger mechanism and the little metal ring thing with the tongue tab behind it are properly aligned.The trigger rod in particular has a little slot drilled through it the needle passes through - if you disassemble the brush and accidentally rotate the trigger rod, of course the slot won't be aligned with the needle and let it pass through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I once had to clean out my nozzle with a toothpick in order to get dried paint out.

With the nozzle off, and needle out , you should be able to see through it from end to end. Can you?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Drake_263 posted:

Check that the trigger mechanism and the little metal ring thing with the tongue tab behind it are properly aligned.The trigger rod in particular has a little slot drilled through it the needle passes through - if you disassemble the brush and accidentally rotate the trigger rod, of course the slot won't be aligned with the needle and let it pass through.

I doubt that's it; I first noticed when I realised that releasing the trigger wasn't causing the spring to push the needle back, and the needle wasn't extended through the nozzle either, i.e. even without drawing the trigger back the needle was withdrawn. The needle was definitely in place to begin with, so I assumed I'd clogged it somewhere between the cup and nozzle somehow while I was spraying, but thinners haven't helped a ton there, either.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

dexefiend posted:

I once had to clean out my nozzle with a toothpick in order to get dried paint out.

With the nozzle off, and needle out , you should be able to see through it from end to end. Can you?

How'd you clean it with the toothpick? That might be what I need, possibly.

I'll have a check.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Pull the gunk out the big end with it?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I took the nozzle and gently rorated it on the end of a toothpick. It was the only way i could get the gunk out of it. This was my .18mm nozzle, and i just couldnt get the paint out otherwise.

Edit: MSP's suggestion would work too, but start at gentle. Don't be banging it against a table.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
That's what she said! :haw:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Holy poo poo, you guys, VMA metallics.

Are the regular VMA paints this pigment-dense?

Please try Vallejo Metal Color and report back about your head having exploded.
I've started mixing those into other paints just because of pigment density and how they make just about any other paint cover in a single pass.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Discovery #1 today: Nozzles come off!

Discovery #2 today: Nozzles are an absolute bitch to get back on.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

Please try Vallejo Metal Color and report back about your head having exploded.
I've started mixing those into other paints just because of pigment density and how they make just about any other paint cover in a single pass.

Whoa whoa whoa. They make water-soluble Liquid Metal equivalents? So getting those.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Pierzak posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. They make water-soluble Liquid Metal equivalents? So getting those.

They're not as good as Liquid Metal but they're very good

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Metal Color is crazy. Get a shade darker than you think you need because it is soo bright and clean.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

spectralent posted:

Discovery #1 today: Nozzles come off!

Discovery #2 today: Nozzles are an absolute bitch to get back on.

Not only does the nozzle come off, but you can shoot without it for a finer line! (Assuming you're talking about the front nozzle that shrouds the needle.)

Usually it's two parts, the front piece helps the spray widen, and the back piece holds the needle.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

The part this is called "Fluid nozzle" here:

I successfully got it off, but getting it back on is proving much more difficult. It's been literal hours and I can't manage the dexterity to twist it back in :negative:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm not familiar with that airbrush but the nozzle typically isn't supposed to come apart. You probably should order a new one.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

grassy gnoll posted:

Holy poo poo, you guys, VMA metallics.

Are the regular VMA paints this pigment-dense?

It's actually because the metal flakes are smaller to fit through the airbrush. The side-effect of that being a much smoother finish. I haven't tried Citadel air yet, but I'm expecting something similar.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I haven't painted a mini since I was a kid but I want to get back into it so I bought the Reaper 'Learn to Paint' set and just finished the three minis that it came with. I don't think they're too bad but I still need to figure out the whole dry-brushing thing. I tried painting eyes and teeth on the orc but couldn't manage a clean dot without obscuring the whole drat face.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

CommissarRed posted:

Well, I completed this Lich for Frostgrave and now that I've taken photos of him, realize he looks pretty awful. i feel like my paints never really seem to pop as much as I want and they're never as vibrant as I'd like them to be.

The only thing i'm really happy with is the orb.

Any tips for making sections pop more and be distinct? my models always seem to somewhat run together.

The execution is really good, I think it's just the palette choice that might need tweaking. It's been mentioned but the blurring together of colours is happening due to 2 things. The first is that the adjacent colours are very close to each other e.g. red armour next to purple cloth and brown staff with a darker brown hand wrap on it, which makes it hard to see the different areas of the model. The other reason is this:

Ilor posted:

Once you've got that part down, another technique that will help is "darklining," which helps to visually reinforce transitions. This sort of technique would really help with the gold edging for the red armor plates or the silver pointy bits against the purple robe.

Both these things are straight forward to improve. For the colour choice you can shift the purple up to a more pinky hue with some lighter layers over the purple, or make them the same teal colour as the centre of the model in which case I'd do the same with the hood too to tie it together. Doing this gives you no adjacent colour overlapping which I believe probably has some name in the art world but I'm going to call it that because it sounded clever.

Dark-lining/Black-lining/etc.. as Ilor mentioned is a great technique and one that I learned way to late really but it absolutely helps and doesn't require as much accuracy as you might think. In a nutshell paint a very thin (as in size and consistency) dark line between adjoining colours using either paint, ink or a small amount of wash, the colour will usually be black or a very dark grey/brown depending on the colour you're painting over (I also like blue).

I don't have any camera setup as my painting area is gone for the next month of 2. But here's a couple of older models from a few years ago right about when I found out the joys of dark lining and the non-adjacent colour thing:

Vibrant colours (Dark blue lines between white and adjacent colours as well as the recesses of the green cloak, brown lines between hair, face and others). In hindsight the gold tiara thing was a bad colour choice as it's too close to the hair colour, I should've done it silver/grey like the weapon.

Very muted palette which is pretty much just black lines for everything. I avoided the same/similar colours touching by making the outer part of the robe dark grey so that it would divide the inner part and the cloak on his back.

Ilor posted:

look at richyp's Infinity minis for a fantastic example of wider tonal shifts that produce a beautiful "pop."

:blush: Thanks, that reminds me that I have 6 guys sat in primer for the May oath that I've not touched thanks to having my painting area/man cave turned into a building site. At this rate I'll have to paint on the floor :(

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Another update on the Imperial Fists. Just really the bases to do now.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

spectralent posted:

I successfully got it off, but getting it back on is proving much more difficult. It's been literal hours and I can't manage the dexterity to twist it back in :negative:

That piece they call the needle cap (everyone calls the parts at the end different things) should just...screw on? If it snaps into place or something that's kind of weird. The fluid nozzle is held in place by the air cap (I'm using the terms in that picture), then the fluid nozzle will either fall out or need a small wrench to be unscrewed itself. It's the fluid nozzle that has your clog and dried paint. Soak that in Dettol, isopropyl alcohol, cellulose thinner, white spirit or something else that will eat paint and use the needle of the airbrush or a hair brush to remove the clog or push it through the fluid nozzle. You can break apart a toothpick to get tiny splinters and use that to clean out the nozzle too - the wood is softer than the metal so it won't harm anything unless you get a splinter stuck in the nozzle (which you can remove with the airbrush needle).

The airbrush post in the OP has some tips for you as well, including these:

quote:

• 90% of your clogs and issues with the airbrush will come from the nozzle - if you try to spray paint that is too thick through a nozzle that is too small, you will have problems
  • You don't need to take everything apart to clean your airbrush - just the back end, the needle, the nozzle holder and the nozzle
  • Airbrush cleaner from whatever brand of paint you have will removed paint build-up, but if you have a serious clog and you can't get inside the nozzle (the nozzle on the Sotar for example is absolutely tiny) you can soak the working/front end of the airbrush, the nozzle and the needle in cellulose thinners for a couple of hours to absolutely, positively remove any paint build-up - this must be used in a metal or glass container, as it will melt most plastics.
  • Do your disassembly/reassembly over a towel on a table, not over your lap - losing a $/£20+ nozzle among the detritus of your workshop floor is not a good time
  • Keep a scrap piece of paper and a paper towel handy at all times, in addition to a small pot of water with a plastic brush and/or toothbrush. This helps you do quick spray tests and cleaning and keeping them nearby (with hand's reach) will encourage you to keep everything clean.
  • After cleaning the tip of the needle, do a test spray on your scrap paper. This blows off any water or collected paint so it doesn't end up on your model. You can also use the scrap paper to test the air pressure you are spraying at.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 26, 2016

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

spectralent posted:

Ok, I see now. The part I was talking about was the needle cup.

I know you mentioned his was a used airbrush, is it also your first one?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TTerrible posted:

Metal Color is crazy. Get a shade darker than you think you need because it is soo bright and clean.

This guy knows what's up. The great shame of Metal Color is the lack of diversity in non-steel/aluminium colors and that the gold is a weird pale green tint.

But they mix amazingly well with other ranges. Right now a mix of Scale 75 and MC is my favourite gold ever, and the scale 75 coverage issue is entirely fixed.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm not familiar with that airbrush but the nozzle typically isn't supposed to come apart. You probably should order a new one.

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure it is, because the brush has different nozzles for different needle thicknesses which were provided; it'd be weird if they couldn't be removed and replaced with the others.

krushgroove posted:

That piece they call the needle cap (everyone calls the parts at the end different things) should just...screw on? If it snaps into place or something that's kind of weird. The fluid nozzle is held in place by the air cap (I'm using the terms in that picture), then the fluid nozzle will either fall out or need a small wrench to be unscrewed itself. It's the fluid nozzle that has your clog and dried paint. Soak that in Dettol, isopropyl alcohol, cellulose thinner, white spirit or something else that will eat paint and use the needle of the airbrush or a hair brush to remove the clog or push it through the fluid nozzle. You can break apart a toothpick to get tiny splinters and use that to clean out the nozzle too - the wood is softer than the metal so it won't harm anything unless you get a splinter stuck in the nozzle (which you can remove with the airbrush needle).

The airbrush post in the OP has some tips for you as well, including these:

The needle cap isn't the issue, no; the nozzle is the bit I'm trying to screw back on. It's got thread around the base so I'm assuming it screws in, but goddamn it's fiddly.

Also cheers for the OP reminder.

malal posted:

Ok, I see now. The part I was talking about was the needle cup.

I know you mentioned his was a used airbrush, is it also your first one?

That it be.

EDIT: So, checking, I think there's still paint gunk in there despite a lengthy soak and prodding, but it's coming out in small smudges. I'm not quite sure how to deal with that... But it may not matter. I thought "Hell, I'll try one of the other needles while I soak it some more", and I've noticed the thread on the bases of those nozzles is longer. Muuuch longer. The thread on the base of the first nozzle also has a somewhat jagged edge. In other words, I'm fairly sure when I tried to unscrew the nozzle, it's snapped and wedged most of the base in the airbrush. :negative:

spectralent fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 26, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

This guy knows what's up. The great shame of Metal Color is the lack of diversity in non-steel/aluminium colors and that the gold is a weird pale green tint.

But they mix amazingly well with other ranges. Right now a mix of Scale 75 and MC is my favourite gold ever, and the scale 75 coverage issue is entirely fixed.

I picked up Aluminium and Dark Aluminium to do studs and bracing on my 30k marines and the first test model looks like I've polished the underlying metal with a rotary tool. I'm going to try Magnesium/Burnt Iron/Gunmetal Grey/Exhaust Manifold next time I'm in Dark Sphere.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TTerrible posted:

I picked up Aluminium and Dark Aluminium to do studs and bracing on my 30k marines and the first test model looks like I've polished the underlying metal with a rotary tool. I'm going to try Magnesium/Burnt Iron/Gunmetal Grey/Exhaust Manifold next time I'm in Dark Sphere.

I put this together as a reference, maybe it'll help.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Oh nice, that is OP worthy (if it isn't already there :v:)

Did you pick up the complete set?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Sort of. I started with just gold, copper, silver and gunmetal and I keep adding a bottle or two every so often. I picked up Burnt Iron yesterday just to paint a Space Wolf :v:
Except for the various aluminiums (the exception being aluminium and duraluminium) which have way too many iterations, I can see myself getting the remaining few.

Some of the paints look very similar though when brushed and only really shine if you airbrush them on the gloss black primer. Chrome is the biggest culprit.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath thread cross post. These models are pretty fun to paint.

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath complete!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

big_g posted:

These are getting lost in paint talk - they look good.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

richyp posted:

The execution is really good, I think it's just the palette choice that might need tweaking. It's been mentioned but the blurring together of colours is happening due to 2 things. The first is that the adjacent colours are very close to each other e.g. red armour next to purple cloth and brown staff with a darker brown hand wrap on it, which makes it hard to see the different areas of the model. The other reason is this:

Both these things are straight forward to improve. For the colour choice you can shift the purple up to a more pinky hue with some lighter layers over the purple, or make them the same teal colour as the centre of the model in which case I'd do the same with the hood too to tie it together. Doing this gives you no adjacent colour overlapping which I believe probably has some name in the art world but I'm going to call it that because it sounded clever.

Dark-lining/Black-lining/etc.. as Ilor mentioned is a great technique and one that I learned way to late really but it absolutely helps and doesn't require as much accuracy as you might think. In a nutshell paint a very thin (as in size and consistency) dark line between adjoining colours using either paint, ink or a small amount of wash, the colour will usually be black or a very dark grey/brown depending on the colour you're painting over (I also like blue).

I don't have any camera setup as my painting area is gone for the next month of 2. But here's a couple of older models from a few years ago right about when I found out the joys of dark lining and the non-adjacent colour thing:

Vibrant colours (Dark blue lines between white and adjacent colours as well as the recesses of the green cloak, brown lines between hair, face and others). In hindsight the gold tiara thing was a bad colour choice as it's too close to the hair colour, I should've done it silver/grey like the weapon.

Very muted palette which is pretty much just black lines for everything. I avoided the same/similar colours touching by making the outer part of the robe dark grey so that it would divide the inner part and the cloak on his back.

:blush: Thanks, that reminds me that I have 6 guys sat in primer for the May oath that I've not touched thanks to having my painting area/man cave turned into a building site. At this rate I'll have to paint on the floor :(

This is super helpful, thanks! I spent all day yesterday watching guides on youtube and started from scratch. I oathed this dude for the oath thread and painted him up last night. I just did the 3 layers up process, with shading. I'm pretty pleased with it overall, but i see some areas where I could improve (such as increasing the midtone coverage so the recessed areas aren't as pronounced.)

Maybe I could go back and add some darklining to him to separate the armor & scarf from the uniform. I need to work on him some more anyway, since I'm adding an ice base tonight.

Darklining makes a lot of sense, and that warlock looks pretty amazing. I need to try that asap.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

big_g posted:

These own so hard. How large of a force are you planning on doing?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

CommissarRed posted:

These own so hard. How large of a force are you planning on doing?

Thanks! I'm just doing these five so far as a one off fun little side project. I do like some of the Heresy era terminators thought so I might pick some of them up soon.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

spectralent posted:

EDIT: So, checking, I think there's still paint gunk in there despite a lengthy soak and prodding, but it's coming out in small smudges. I'm not quite sure how to deal with that...

I've used inter-dental brushes to clean out a nozzle before.

http://www.gumbrand.com/between-teeth-cleaning/interdental-brushes.html?gclid=CLf_rsfB-MwCFQUmhgod9PEBKw

Dirt cheap.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Second go at this whole airbrushing business.

Success! Except I seem to have accidentally painted a Word Bearer instead of a Thousand Son, gently caress.

Next model I will try with FW's Angron Red, which is a bit more orange.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Thanks to whoever told me to use washing up liquid as a way to break surface tension on my black paint; it's worked fantastically.

Thanks, but the nozzle's actually broken, so I'm going to need a new one anyway.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

spectralent posted:

Thanks, but the nozzle's actually broken, so I'm going to need a new one anyway.

I got dibs on telling you to buy a Badger Patriot

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Guess who spilled acetone on their model.

I don't know if it's of interest to anyone but I've started updating my blog again http://lethemonster.blogspot.co.uk/

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

signalnoise posted:

I got dibs on telling you to buy a Badger Patriot

I just upgraded from a Delta starter to a Badger Xtreme (XTREME) Patriot 105.

Hoping for some good weather this weekend.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

cyberia posted:

I haven't painted a mini since I was a kid but I want to get back into it so I bought the Reaper 'Learn to Paint' set and just finished the three minis that it came with. I don't think they're too bad but I still need to figure out the whole dry-brushing thing. I tried painting eyes and teeth on the orc but couldn't manage a clean dot without obscuring the whole drat face.

These are really good for what is basically a first try. Next I'd suggest experimenting with some washes, try black on the metals, a dark green on the orc skin, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Crossposting from the Oath Thread

It was one hell of a month, but the awesome kit that my fiancee got me for my birthday is finally complete.

It is a Nurgle Heldrake conversion for my Forsaken Chaos Space Marines, and fits in very well with my skeletal plague marines(coming soon), demon prince, and winged Lord. (also coming soon)