Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I have no particular opinion on chip but:

Remember that one time PR Rog tried to do Necalli super to chip out a dude and then the dude jumped out and killed him and everyone was like hahaha that was great and PR Rog was mad salty

poo poo like that happens way less because chip damage kill except for supers isn't in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Biggz posted:

Or let the timer run down.

I'm still trying to figure out how no chip kills gives the losing player a crazy powerful upper hand, but maybe that's cos I cant read.

My friend the answer is in the above posts. Things you might find useful when looking for it:
- The english language
- Fighting game knowledge
- Logic reasoning abilities
- Realization that a player may have an advantage in one area but an overall disadvantage

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Biggz posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how no chip kills gives the losing player a crazy powerful upper hand, but maybe that's cos I cant read.

use brain imo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No chip death is SFV's comeback mechanic, to put it simply

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I mean dude, if you have 0 health, it's not like you're going to be able to block that ex rush punch so you gotta do something else. That is, when chip kills are actually a thing.

Instead, it grinds the match to a halt when you just want to finish things. The defending player is not at an "over all advantage" but it is kind of rewarding him for getting his rear end beat. So, the guy can just turtle and you have to open him up different ways, by throwing, doing a crossup, whatever. The guy with 0 health is still probably going to lose because a single jab will kill him. But by taking out chip, it just makes it more annoying to get that last hit in and usually just delays the inevitable.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
no chip death makes sense only in certain broken 90s games where you could feasibly chip someone to death from half their life inescapably

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
gently caress JASON BIGGS

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

it'll be like old times luke

they'll never stop us

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gammatron 64 posted:

I mean dude, if you have 0 health, it's not like you're going to be able to block that ex rush punch so you gotta do something else. That is, when chip kills are actually a thing.

Instead, it grinds the match to a halt when you just want to finish things. The defending player is not at an "over all advantage" but it is kind of rewarding him for getting his rear end beat. So, the guy can just turtle and you have to open him up different ways, by throwing, doing a crossup, whatever. The guy with 0 health is still probably going to lose because a single jab will kill him. But by taking out chip, it just makes it more annoying to get that last hit in and usually just delays the inevitable.

That's a thing that really gets on my nerves in SFV, by the way. So you combo into super and leave them with a sliver of health. Now you're half a screen away and they're unchippable, but their health is too low for them to engage in neutral, while you don't wanna get tagged with random bullshit so...you guys just kinda stare at each other?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Constellation I posted:

Can we use this thread as an Overwatch thread instead. I only read posts from Brosnan in the other thread anyway.

I support this, if only because the real Overwatch thread is really awful.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Brosnan posted:

I support this, if only because the real Overwatch thread is really awful.

what's your bnet id babe

despite what is said in that thread, a lot of goons are p. much on par with most pubs

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Dias posted:

That's a thing that really gets on my nerves in SFV, by the way. So you combo into super and leave them with a sliver of health. Now you're half a screen away and they're unchippable, but their health is too low for them to engage in neutral, while you don't wanna get tagged with random bullshit so...you guys just kinda stare at each other?

Pretty much.

Also, say you don't have a big life lead over your opponent. They're at 0% are you're at like, 35%. I'm already very good at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and pissing away whatever advantage I have, so I don't need any help from the game, thanks.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I like it when people forget that you can just use v-reversal to escape a lot of chip death attempts.

https://a.pomf.cat/lrixrm.webm

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So...just a few days left in May. have they announced May's DLC fighter? Or are they actually going to hold off til Combo Breaker and say "They're out now!" ?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Almost guaranteed to be the latter

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So...just a few days left in May. have they announced May's DLC fighter? Or are they actually going to hold off til Combo Breaker and say "They're out now!" ?

Unless the Combo Breaker announcement is for the money store or a release date for the full story mode I can't think what else it would be. And both those would be super underwhelming if not combined with a character announcement.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Boy I sure do love when a busted game holds out it's monthly update til the very last day to build hype for a boring character instead of trying to fix issues as quickly as possible.

KoF save us from this nightmare.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
chipping someone out is good and avoiding getting chipped out feels good, chip damage in this game isn't insane enough (see:jojo's) to warrant no chip kills. All it does is appeal to people who think losing is ever anything but a culmination of your opponents good plays and your own bad plays and

Biggz posted:

Or let the timer run down.

yeah grind the game to a halt

which is bad, since i guess you can't use your brain on your own.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 26, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
also the throws are bad pushback is insane and walkspeeds are too slow

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Pomp posted:

chipping someone out is good and avoiding getting chipped out feels good, chip damage in this game isn't insane enough (see:jojo's) to warrant. All it does is appeal to people who think losing is ever anything but a culmination of your opponents good plays and your own bad plays and

Remember Street Fighter X Timeout?

That was another game where throw ranges were absurdly short.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Remember Street Fighter X Timeout?

That was another game where throw ranges were absurdly short.

DIMPS

Not even once.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

DIMPS

Not even once.

dimps made this game too

and sf4

I dunno why capcom only gets eighting to make vs games, they've made jank games that people actually enjoy like bloody roar

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 26, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

darealkooky posted:

dimps made this game too

and sf4

Yeah that's kind of my point. None of those games are exactly great.

DIMPS bad.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Pomp posted:

Actually it's good and this is the most important street fighter match in history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo_mVOaILqo

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

DIMPS is also hilariously bad at making Sonic games and basically anything really.

Granted Sonic games are usually bad and almost everyone is bad at making them except for the first few on Genesis so maybe I'll let that slide

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Praise be unto our savior Terry Bogard.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

watch capcom put out the june update after combo break (story mode) and nothing else

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Boy I sure do love when a busted game holds out it's monthly update til the very last day to build hype for a boring character instead of trying to fix issues as quickly as possible.

I don't know, KoF games don't exactly have a history of having great netcode.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i've been playing the new last blade 2 release on ps4 and its crazy better than sfv. join me its 13 dollars (also free on fightcade too)

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
loving capcom its like 4 days left in the month and still nothing.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

If only there was some sort of mechanic where you could negate chip damage by using a precise and difficult to perform universal defensive option, thus balancing the want to always have a way out while giving the offensive player a distinct advantage

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yeah but enough about just defense

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

it's the ability to always get your punish combo off JDing correctly that really makes it pop

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

brian posted:

precise and difficult to perform

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Can we just start a petition to replace this game with Street Fighter: The Movie at EVO

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
the home version on ps1/saturn is actually pretty ok, it was made by capcom and not some random no-name studio so it's basically just bad super turbo with mortal kombat graphics and a new character

it's also the first SF game to have ex moves

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I'm really in different on the chip out thing too because i only play online and every single person i've seen online does the same poo poo they always do when anything confusing happens

Have reversal> do it!
Don't have reversal> JAB, then Jump in Attack then try for sweep, then jump in again, aiming for a cross up, then jab, try to throw.

"chip" death would make fang better i guess.

Why the gently caress are they waiting until the last minute to reveal loving balrog.

Unless they are like adding a fist projectile for v trigger he should have been finished the same time as guile.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
on sunday they're gonna announce he's coming out tuesday and release the trailer on friday, in june

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

And honestly, it's not like Overwatch is perfect either, the game is, for instance, lacking floating damage number feed back or at least hit ding options making it at best difficult to tell if some tactics are having any effect at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I remember a contingent of goons in the OW thread were pretty sick of it after a short time in alpha. The whole internet seems to like it now so :shrug: