Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The other thing is that while Bond and Bourne films are very much about the lone spy doing stuff, the MI films (except the John Woo one I guess) lean more heavily on the supporting cast. I wouldn't say they're ensemble pieces, but the other characters carry more weight than, say, your typical Bond Girl

Oh I don't know, they normally carry around 200 pounds at least once in each movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Snak posted:

It also doesn't help that several of the MI sequels (I believe) started out as unrelated scripts that were adapted to the MI franchise. I might be wrong about that though.

It may be the MI movies too, but it is definitely all but one of the Die Hard movies.

Unrelated - I watched Unforgiven for the first time last night. So, I feel like I missed something that made Gene Hackman's character "the villain." As far as I could tell, he was just a sheriff that didn't allow guns in his town. Then when people broke the law, he took them (albeit violently) to jail. I was waiting for the scene that showed the is a super corrupt sheriff or something. Clint Eastwood's character is more of a villain, as his backstory is a ruthless killer, and then is okay killing just about anyone who stands in his way of getting his money. Also, I didn't understand the point of the opening and closing crawls.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hockles posted:

It may be the MI movies too, but it is definitely all but one of the Die Hard movies.
Specifically, it's Live Free or Die Hard (5, the lovely father/son one). Every single other Die Hard, including the first one, is a repurposed spec script for something else.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hockles posted:

Unrelated - I watched Unforgiven for the first time last night. So, I feel like I missed something that made Gene Hackman's character "the villain." As far as I could tell, he was just a sheriff that didn't allow guns in his town. Then when people broke the law, he took them (albeit violently) to jail. I was waiting for the scene that showed the is a super corrupt sheriff or something. Clint Eastwood's character is more of a villain, as his backstory is a ruthless killer, and then is okay killing just about anyone who stands in his way of getting his money. Also, I didn't understand the point of the opening and closing crawls.

I think the point was that it was more realistic instead of being a typical western movie with good/bad guys. In the real west, poo poo happened. Munny was a (smart) coward too, scaring the town so he wouldn't be shot in the back at the end. Then he raises his kids and is never caught.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Torturing Morgan Freeman to death and propping his corpse up on a porch feels slightly villainous

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite things about Unforgiven is how it avoids glorifying violence OR using it to get us riled up by being visual exploitative. We see no details of either the assault on Delilah or torturing and killing of Ned. It's almost a character POV thing. Bill Munny hears about these events, and gets mad about them off of his perception of them, but he doesn't see either of them happen, and we don't either. The only "action scene" that we really see is the brutal violence at the end.

I think it's really effective, and I feel like it was a deliberate choice by Eastwood, informed by his previous films. He's often portrayed a hero, or anti-hero, whose violent actions we cheer on. Many of his characters set up the villain and hero in parallel, ramping up good violence versus bad violence until the hero (or antihero) is ultimately victorious in a "violence-off" against the villain. Unforgiven doesn't do this. Instead it gives us time understand the characters as people, through their words and actions. Some of those actions are violence, but because we aren't explicitly shown much, the violence functions as information rather than direct manipulation of the viewer. Leaving the viewer, like Munny, to draw his own conclusions about how it makes them feel. At the end of movie, Munny and the viewer are on the same page: they "know" of the bad actions committed by the villain, and then they take part in violence together.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Unforgiven's final shootout is an interesting scene. The violence is shot in the same heroic style as in more traditional Westerns, such as Shane for instance, but the narrative implications are completely different. It's not the depiction of a good man triumphing over a group of villains, it's William Munny enacting his vengeance on the man who killed his friend, giving up the humanity he tried to preserve throughout the course of the entire film in the process. Munny manages to reassemble the Western mythos that was systematically broken apart in the previous two hours, but doing so only damns him further. Just look at the final exchange between him and Little Bill:

quote:

Little Bill: I don't deserve this... to die like this. I was building a house.
Munny: Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
Little Bill: I'll see you in hell, William Munny.
Munny: Yeah.

There's no justice or redemption in Munny's killings, just as there was none in Ned's death or the death of the men who sliced up a prostitute. Even the closing text refuses to give us any sense of catharsis, instead ending on a dour note:

quote:

And there was nothing on the stone to explain to Mrs. Feathers why her only daughter had married a known thief and murderer, a man of notoriously vicious and intemperate disposition.

There's obviously a lot more to the film, but I think these two quotes neatly encapsulate the basic structure and themes. Unforgiven is a revisionist Western not necessarily because it opposes the common genre conventions, but because it's willing to carry these conventions to their ultimate (and bleak) conclusion.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 26, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

There's no justice or redemption in Munny's killings, just as there was none in Ned's death or the death of the men who sliced up a prostitute. Even the closing text refuses to give us any sense of catharsis, instead ending on a dour note:

Yeah, and I think the fact that there aren't similar scenes of the bad guys graphically killing people to compare and contrast Munny's killings helps keep them from feeling like a "payback" style of justice or retribution in the eyes of the audience. It's so good.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Snak posted:

Yeah, and I think the fact that there aren't similar scenes of the bad guys graphically killing people to compare and contrast Munny's killings helps keep them from feeling like a "payback" style of justice or retribution in the eyes of the audience. It's so good.

Not to mention (I think) the only other kill by a protagonist is met with that character's immediate disgust and renouncement of violence altogether, despite talking a big game the entire film.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Everblight posted:

Specifically, it's Live Free or Die Hard (5, the lovely father/son one).

I think that's A Good Day to Die Hard. Live Free or Die Hard was the one with Justin Long and Timothy Olyphant.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

I think that's A Good Day to Die Hard. Live Free or Die Hard was the one with Justin Long and Timothy Olyphant.

Oh man. I read that post and didn't even blink at the name being wrong. I saw both of those movies in the theater.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Timby posted:

OMG you are100% correct and Die Hard sequels are the worst

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Everblight posted:

OMG you are100% correct and Die Hard sequels are the worst

Die Hard With a Vengeance is good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Die Hard With a Vengeance is good.

No it is not.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Die Hard with a Vengeance is a pretty good action/heist movie, but like all Die Hard sequels, it's not really a Die Hard movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Die Hard with a Vengeance is a pretty good action/heist movie, but like all Die Hard sequels, it's not really a Die Hard movie.

The entire plot is that all of the hoops that Jeremy Irons makes Bruce Willis jump through are actually a diversion from his real plan. The very first challenge had a very good chance of getting him killed (in universe), and only didn't by sheer luck. And the story holds the villain up as some kind of mastermind.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snak posted:

The entire plot is that all of the hoops that Jeremy Irons makes Bruce Willis jump through are actually a diversion from his real plan. The very first challenge had a very good chance of getting him killed (in universe), and only didn't by sheer luck. And the story holds the villain up as some kind of mastermind.

Also there's a really weird bit where Jeremy Irons' character is lying to just ONE henchman about what the plan is and everyone else is in on the gold theft.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Also there's a really weird bit where Jeremy Irons' character is lying to just ONE henchman about what the plan is and everyone else is in on the gold theft.

It's a movie that could be a fine action romp, but fucks it up by insisting that it is a thriller with a twist. Like, if it wasn't trying so hard to be smart, it wouldn't matter that it's loving dumb as poo poo.

Also it has "Johnny Comes Marching Home" as like, it's main villain theme, which, I mean, I'm a fan of that song, but it comes off cheap as gently caress in the film. Like some hack was just "yeah let's use an arrangement of this".

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

I think that's in part or largely because Irons' character is having an affair with that dude's girlfriend.

Also the movie is great if only for the scene where Jeremy Irons pretends to be the guy from the city engineer's office.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Snak posted:

Well he's also pretty arrogant.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just watched Unforgiven for the first time ever on this thread's recommendation and with some of the points on this page in mind. It still reads as a bog-standard Western to me. Guy gets pulled back in, does a job, it goes pear-shaped, he gets a reasonable amount of revenge. Bittersweet and beautifully-shot, but not exactly the deconstruction of the western the way Fury Road completely disassembles the action movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snak posted:

It's a movie that could be a fine action romp, but fucks it up by insisting that it is a thriller with a twist. Like, if it wasn't trying so hard to be smart, it wouldn't matter that it's loving dumb as poo poo.

They were trying too hard to do the Die Hard 1 thing where it turns out that no, he isn't some principled terrorist. He just wants money.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Die Hard with a Vengeance is one of the movies where I really felt the bad guy should have gotten away with it. Like, he didn't beat Mcclain because McClain survives, just let him beat the FBI, etc.. and ride off into the sunset with his ill-gotten gains.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Everblight posted:

Just watched Unforgiven for the first time ever on this thread's recommendation and with some of the points on this page in mind. It still reads as a bog-standard Western to me. Guy gets pulled back in, does a job, it goes pear-shaped, he gets a reasonable amount of revenge.

On a surface level, the basic plot beats are certainly evocative of more traditional films, but Unforgiven constantly goes out of its way to undermine them. Take the scene in which Little Bill tears down the stereotype of the heroic gunfighter. Or the death of Bunting, which is messy and undeservedly cruel. Or the final exchange between Munny and the Kid, in which the former rejects any attempt to frame the killings as a matter of justice. All of these scenes resemble the revisionist Western much more so than the traditional one.

Also, I think this is the first time I've heard someone refer to Fury Road as a deconstruction of action films. Could you elaborate a bit on that thought?

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
Blazing Saddles apparently has a TV version that includes added scenes.

IMDB.org posted:

The TV release has five extra scenes that weren't in the theatrical release:
When Sheriff Bart is trying to capture Mongo, after he delivers the "CandyGram for Mongo", it then shows a "draw on the dummy sheriff" game that fires a cannon at Mongo, and then a scene Bart convinces Mongo to go diving down a well for Spanish Doubloons and Bart stops pumping air to the diving suit because it's time for his lunch break.

Bart and Jim run away from Hedley Lamarr and his gang whilst wearing the KKK outfits. They run into some Born-again Christians having a baptism/picnic and join in.

Lily Von Shtupp (Madeline Kahn) gives a brief spoken introduction to the saloon crowd before beginning her song.

Governor Le Petomaine (Mel Brooks) arrives in the fake Rock Ridge a few moments before the final showdown, in a stagecoach with a flashing red light on the back, makes a joke about losing the "blue collar vote" and does a skit in the town where he impersonates Harpo Marx.

When the dynamite fails to explode, Lily Von Schtuup says with some German rambling that it didn't work. When nobody knows what she said the guy that speaks frontier gibberish tries to translate. Those around him hit him with their hats.

I've dug around a bit, but I can't find the scenes in question, or a tv version available anywhere. Does anyone have a line on these?

I was able to find the first one here in extremely low quality, but that's it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLVYcDscfL8

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The SE DVD and Blu-Ray have about 10 minutes of deleted scenes as an extra.

My guess is that the scenes were retained for the TV cut to make up for stuff that was edited. They also included the campfire scene with the TV version soundtrack (no farts or belches).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

On a surface level, the basic plot beats are certainly evocative of more traditional films, but Unforgiven constantly goes out of its way to undermine them. Take the scene in which Little Bill tears down the stereotype of the heroic gunfighter. Or the death of Bunting, which is messy and undeservedly cruel. Or the final exchange between Munny and the Kid, in which the former rejects any attempt to frame the killings as a matter of justice. All of these scenes resemble the revisionist Western much more so than the traditional one.

Also, I think this is the first time I've heard someone refer to Fury Road as a deconstruction of action films. Could you elaborate a bit on that thought?

Action films are almost inextricably tied to masculinity and the patriarchy. FR is explicitly about how that mindset must be rejected and feminism embraced if we are to triumph.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Everblight posted:

Action films are almost inextricably tied to masculinity and the patriarchy. FR is explicitly about how that mindset must be rejected and feminism embraced if we are to triumph.

Yeah, Die Hard and Fury Road would be a hell of a double feature whiplash.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dragyn posted:

Blazing Saddles apparently has a TV version that includes added scenes.

I've dug around a bit, but I can't find the scenes in question, or a tv version available anywhere. Does anyone have a line on these?

I was able to find the first one here in extremely low quality, but that's it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLVYcDscfL8

With enough digging you could probably hunt this down http://ifdb.fanedit.org/blazing-saddles-extended-edition/

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Is there a particular reason, beyond stylistic trends, that opening credits sequences have gotten as rare as they are? And why especially do movies increasingly forego the "[Studio] Presents a [Production Company] Production" bit, which doesn't even take very long?

Is this mostly the directors or are studios fearing you'll lose people's attention if you take a couple of minutes to list names?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Is there a particular reason, beyond stylistic trends, that opening credits sequences have gotten as rare as they are? And why especially do movies increasingly forego the "[Studio] Presents a [Production Company] Production" bit, which doesn't even take very long?

Is this mostly the directors or are studios fearing you'll lose people's attention if you take a couple of minutes to list names?

I blame the cold openings of TV dramas for priming the pump, and the ever-shortening intros (to squeeze in more content in the face of ever-lengthening ad windows) for training the audience to react that way.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Never forget http://www.artofthetitle.com
!!!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Asking about a trend in film within the past 30 years? Bet on Star Wars.

Wikipedia posted:

Opening credits

George Lucas is credited with popularizing this with his Star Wars films which display only the film's title at the start.[1] His decision to omit opening credits in his films Star Wars (1977) and The Empire Strikes Back (1980) led him to resign from the Directors Guild of America after being fined $250,000 for not crediting the director during the opening title sequence. However, Hollywood had been releasing films without opening credits for many years before Lucas came along, most notably Citizen Kane, West Side Story, 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Godfather.

Presumably, having a $250,000 fine went away after the DGA realized they hosed up by forcing one of the biggest directors in the world to drop out of the guild. I think they just fell out of style after that.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 29, 2016

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The '56 version of Around the World in 80 Days jumps right into the film. No logos or text of any sort. The title is even the very last part of the end credits. The titles (by Saul Bass!) are also inventive that they're a limited animation recap of the movie with all the actors listed in order of appearance.

The Magnificent Ambersons has all the credits at the end (like Citizen Kane), but forgoes any on-screen text in favor of Orson Welles speaking the names.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
No one likes opening credits, even when people were "trained" to be used to them. Give me my movie, give it to me now.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Everblight posted:

Thanks, that makes it much more clear. Though I'm not sure I'd entirely agree with the notion that action as a genre is inseparable from the patriarchy. It certainly tends to promote traditionally masculine values, but then those aspects are present in FR as well. It's not like the main characters solve their conflict through a constructive dialogue.

cheerfullydrab posted:

No one likes opening credits, even when people were "trained" to be used to them. Give me my movie, give it to me now.

Counterpoint

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Thanks, that makes it much more clear. Though I'm not sure I'd entirely agree with the notion that action as a genre is inseparable from the patriarchy. It certainly tends to promote traditionally masculine values, but then those aspects are present in FR as well. It's not like the main characters solve their conflict through a constructive dialogue.

Counterpoint

Nope, still a bunch of nonsense between me and my movie.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
You're what's wrong with the world

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Seven opening credits are fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEq-4fua3lM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Well-done opening credits are a great way to get the audience in the right mood. Take the opening of Halloween, for instance, which perfectly sets up the sense of dread that follows you through the rest of the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_tGvktfjjk

Or the opening to Tintin, which is a wonderful homage to the comics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZfwSyWhhGc