Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Now I'm extra mad that the poster I ordered never showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The font on the new title on the website makes it look like an incredibly inappropriate children's book. Or a Disney film.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's a glorious naff 70s scifi novel font and it's perfect

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Alchenar posted:

The font on the new title on the website makes it look like an incredibly inappropriate children's book. Or a Disney film.

Don't mess with Serif Gothic or Herb Lubalin will stab you with one of its serifs. I was glad they quietly brought it out for Force Awakens. Also, how have we gone this far without

there is

a spaceship

in New Orleans

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
You guys are soooo in fits about the name, about the fonts. But you forgot the most important part.

Is it actually coming out?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Overwined posted:

Is it actually coming out?

Yeah Kairo, we really, really, really want to pay for whatever it is you have now and don't care about bugs or lack of content. What you're making is exactly what a lot of us really want and it's just cruel holding it for the last three years.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
oh look

http://store.steampowered.com/app/283160

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Now where did I leave that "its happening" gif?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 26, 2016

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

:siren: Available: June 2016 :siren:

Okay, early access, but still.

Eyud fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 26, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its early access date, not release. :v:

Graphics card requirements are surprisingly high for the (seeming) graphical simplicity. Is that because of the VR support?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Sadly the combat module is still slated for release in late 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bold Robot posted:

Hmmm making poster money off of a name that apparently at least arguably infringes a copyright, great idea what could go wrong.

From the article the name doesn't infringes a copyright. The name was changed to something that was easier to trademark, kind of like how Games Workshop changed a lot of their names because Space Marine and Imperial Guard were too generic. Of course "House of the Dying Sun" isn't unique either, as a brief YouTube search reveals.

Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56fCuO7JEy4

gently caress, "Traitor Lords" sounds so much better.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Holy poo poo, it is finally time to bring ruin!

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
you will still be able to shoot enemy starfighters even if the name on the box is different so im ok

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Graphics card requirements are surprisingly high for the (seeming) graphical simplicity. Is that because of the VR support?
Seems likely.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Eyud posted:

:siren: Available: June 2, 2016 :siren:

Okay, early access, but still.

It shouldn't have posted the date because there's still approvals and stuff happening. It didn't post that on my dashboard. Hmm...

June though.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Get pumped for power sliding space ships

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kairo posted:

It shouldn't have posted the date because there's still approvals and stuff happening. It didn't post that on my dashboard. Hmm...

June though.

Seriously, ridiculously excited to see this come to light. The atmosphere alone from that trailer is amazing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kairo posted:

June though.

You are the best.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

quote:

Is it still randomized?

Nope. The combat in House is HIGHLY dependent on positioning and timing to make it sing. This means old-school encounter design. I really came to grips with this last summer and immediately shifted gears. Now the game runs on highly crafted, lightning fast fights that have designed enemy setups, sight lines, engagement ranges, reinforcements, custom AI behaviors, and more.

gently caress yeah, this makes me so much more excited. My favorite part of the X-Wing games was getting the encounters juuust right.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I just saw this thread with same description as Enemy Starfighter and had assumed that game was dead. Glad to see it's not!

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Kairo posted:

June though.

Ah ok. Still pumped!

Orv
May 4, 2011
If I can't run this game it's Romeo and Juliet time.

Or like, I could finally get a new computer, but that's a lot of work compared to strychnine.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

gently caress yeah, this makes me so much more excited. My favorite part of the X-Wing games was getting the encounters juuust right.

Wait, will the randomisation still be in at all? I really liked the idea of it to keep the game going after the missions were done along with things like daily challenges on a randomised seed. Still really excited, just not as much.

Orv
May 4, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Wait, will the randomisation still be in at all? I really liked the idea of it to keep the game going after the missions were done along with things like daily challenges on a randomised seed. Still really excited, just not as much.

"Choose one of three increasingly-brutal difficulties in each of the 14 campaign scenarios."

Which kind of actually makes me less interested, poo poo.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

I wasn't sold on the name till I saw the font it was written in. Then I was sold. Good name, good game.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Hm yes this new name is bad I will not be buying this game because of this.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It is all hand-crafted now. This is due to the combat sandbox really needing it. The RNG would basically give me mediocre encounters 80% of the time, terrible encounters 15% of the time, and great encounters 5% of the time (and this was probably by accident). Infinite encounter varieties are neat, but only if you can guarantee it's gonna be awesome a majority of the time.

Some kinds of combat are great with the volatility of randomness, like Diablo. But compare that with something like Dark Souls, which is superficially similar, but utterly dependent on level design. But IMO, it has WAY better combat. Bloodborne was interesting because they tried to RNG with the the chalice dungeons and it fell kinda flat. TIE and Freespace have similar combat sandboxes, which is why they require someone to actually do the work and design fun combat.

Also, the warping around is a nice fantasy, but it utterly failed all sorts of playtesting. People had a hard time mastering it, and even then they thought it was boring. One of my testers literally turned around and asked if they could go back and play the PAX demo level. Ouch.

It also was a huge amount of work, and it wasn't panning out, so it got axed.

EDIT: I managed to convert the coolest aspects of the open-worldy version over to the new world order, like the flagship, alarms, and stuff. But it is literally the "Get me to the interesting parts right away and gently caress everything else," version of the game.

Kairo fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 26, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
I await the chance to be judgmental about your combat encounter design skills.

Which should be great, you worked on Halo.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Now where did I leave that "its happening" gif?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Congrats, Kairo! It's really exciting to finally see this on Steam!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

For some unneeded positive reinforcement I'm a much bigger fan of sculpted encounters (especially in complex, full 3D spaces) because I'm basically like those testers you mentioned. A small amount of randomness within set encounters ("this time that enemy did this") is much better to me than something completely different every time, mostly because I'm not the kind of person who plays games more than once or twice, with a few exceptions.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

By Warp around do you mean moving between different areas or the little quick-hop to rapidly close with a target?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Wait, it sounds completely different now to the last time I saw gameplay via your stream. Am I reading wrong or is it really a linear 14 mission campaign now rather than the rogue-like thing it was before?

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

For some unneeded positive reinforcement I'm a much bigger fan of sculpted encounters (especially in complex, full 3D spaces) because I'm basically like those testers you mentioned. A small amount of randomness within set encounters ("this time that enemy did this") is much better to me than something completely different every time, mostly because I'm not the kind of person who plays games more than once or twice, with a few exceptions.

Yeah. I used to play some Halo encounters over and over because of the random stuff that would happen, even though they started the same way. People responded really well as soon as I started doing all of this, and it let me actually make everything MUCH harder because reloading and trying again is SUPER fast.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

By Warp around do you mean moving between different areas or the little quick-hop to rapidly close with a target?

Gap drive (the ship-to-ship blink) is an upgrade, moving between areas is cut.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Kairo posted:

EDIT: I managed to convert the coolest aspects of the open-worldy version over to the new world order, like the flagship, alarms, and stuff. But it is literally the "Get me to the interesting parts right away and gently caress everything else," version of the game.

Excellent, I have the utmost confidence in this.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Wait, it sounds completely different now to the last time I saw gameplay via your stream. Am I reading wrong or is it really a linear 14 mission campaign now rather than the rogue-like thing it was before?

It's not quite linear. The overworld opens up a bit as you go, but it is dropping you off into premade, heavily designed encounters.

I'm sure some of you are gonna be disappointed, but my biggest regret is not cutting that stuff sooner.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Any chances of expansion packs down the line? I'd gladly pay for more crafted scenarios if the game ends up good.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

:yeah:

A wave-clear type mode would be cool but I'm all for bespoke content if it's more fun. I really liked the idea of chasing people around the system map, but getting the AI to respond well to what you're doing while being fun to fight is the sort of thing you can iterate on forever. Roguelike stuff works best and it more fun when you can put chunks of a map together instead of just trying to generate everything, and when the map is the size of a solar system that gets sort of impossible fast (I'm guessing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Any chances of expansion packs down the line? I'd gladly pay for more crafted scenarios if the game ends up good.
House of the Dying Sun 2: Enemy Starfighter, where YOU play as the Traitor Lords in the next turn of the bitter and endless cycle of revenge. :v:

• Locked thread