Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shinmai

CHK Instruction

Scathach posted:

jalapeno beer

these are the kind of things that make we wish I didn't have brain problems and could start drinking again, that sounds awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shinmai

CHK Instruction
Seeing as this forum is frequented by a whole bunch of creative and innovative individuals, I was thinking about harnessing all that brain juice to figure out a memorable and unique domain name for my school portfolio site.

I was planning on doing this by running a little contest thread with Steam games for the winners. I have all the bells and whistles that I think I'd need for my idea, but should I still PM a mod before posting a thread?

Piso Mojado

GIMP and Inkscape are good and made by good people. The ui is just different than cs2, it's not bad (unless on mac).

shinmai

CHK Instruction

Piso Mojado posted:

GIMP and Inkscape are good and made by good people. The ui is just different than cs2, it's not bad (unless on mac).

I used both semi-professionally for 6-7 years before I could afford to buy a creative suite license (this was before Adobe rolled out CC) and I heartily disagree.
GIMP and Inkscape are very good FOSS, but there's a reason why Photoshop is $25/month and people happily pay it, and it's not the UI. Blender has horrible newbie-unfriendly UI, but I'm very happy to still use it occasionally even though I have C4D at my disposal.

Given that basically the whole CS2 is free now, unless you're super familiar with GIMP and can't be bothered to learn a slightly different GUI or are runnin Linux, there's really no reason to not use PS CS2.

3D Megadoodoo

Piso Mojado posted:

I've used Inkscape but man is the UI counter-intuitive in almost every way. (I've not used any other such application so I can't compare.)

shinmai

CHK Instruction
I think Illustrator's UI is every bit as bad as Inkscape's, for the reasons I already mentioned. But like I said, they're very good free open source alternatives, if for some reason you can't get "the real thing" (or if you need to expand the software in some way, like to use Inkscape with plotters and whatnot)

Piso Mojado

what do you plot shinmai?

shinmai

CHK Instruction

Piso Mojado posted:

what do you plot shinmai?

artsy stuff mostly, abstract 3d renders in pencil on recycled paper and hispter stuff like that. Sometimes I do sewing patterns for friends as well. I have three different vintage pen plotters I've snatched up from bankruptcy auctions.

I also have one of those neat-o eggbots from Evil Mad Scientist Labs which can plot stuff on round objects with pens.

Piso Mojado

cs2 is good, gimp is good, illustrator and Inkscape are also good. contoversial, I know

3D Megadoodoo

TheDraw is where it's at tho.

alnilam

Piso Mojado posted:

Piso Mojado

shinmai posted:

artsy stuff mostly, abstract 3d renders in pencil on recycled paper and hispter stuff like that. Sometimes I do sewing patterns for friends as well. I have three different vintage pen plotters I've snatched up from bankruptcy auctions.

I also have one of those neat-o eggbots from Evil Mad Scientist Labs which can plot stuff on round objects with pens.

sounds cool and now I'm curious! I have 2 plotters I never use right next to me. can you pm or attach a sketch, I want to see what kind of layout your using. :]

alnilam

Let me put it this way there are so many published peer reviewed articles with figures made in gimp and inkscape if you hate gimp and inkscape you hate science

3D Megadoodoo

alnilam posted:

Let me put it this way there are so many published peer reviewed articles with figures made in gimp and inkscape if you hate gimp and inkscape you hate science

like anime figures?

3D Megadoodoo

I made my avatar in Paint it's pretty good.

alnilam

Jerry Cotton posted:

like anime figures?

Yes my most highly cited article is one in JACS about the evolution of drawing style between the original dragon ball and dbz and yes even dbgt

3D Megadoodoo

alnilam posted:

Yes my most highly cited article is one in JACS about the evolution of drawing style between the original dragon ball and dbz and yes even dbgt

Oh I think I read that one. There's a few points where I must disagree though.

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Piso, the album you linked me is really helping me get some sleep. I clocked out at 11pm and woke up at 1am. Then from 1am to 5am. I woke up the to my cat Sawyer wanting to spoon with me. He doesn't like my door being closed so he'll rip up the carpet in protest. I've used the album twice now with a no ad youtube mobile browser. Thanks for linking it, it helps me a lot. I'm about to sleep again. :)

shinmai

CHK Instruction

Piso Mojado posted:

sounds cool and now I'm curious! I have 2 plotters I never use right next to me. can you pm or attach a sketch, I want to see what kind of layout your using. :]

I'll try and remember to dig one out when I get home. Basically what I did was gut the original electronics from the things, except for the motors and their drivers, and use an Arduino to control the motors with gcode using RepRap's gcode library on the Arduino and cnc club's gcode tools on Inkscape (these have apparently been included into Inkscape now, but I've not updated my copy in a million years because everything is working)

thanks Matoi Ryuko :love:

Piso Mojado

Yobgoblin posted:

Piso, the album you linked me is really helping me get some sleep. I clocked out at 11pm and woke up at 1am. Then from 1am to 5am. I woke up the to my cat Sawyer wanting to spoon with me. He doesn't like my door being closed so he'll rip up the carpet in protest. I've used the album twice now with a no ad youtube mobile browser. Thanks for linking it, it helps me a lot. I'm about to sleep again. :)

no problem! that album is my go to coding album for nearly a decade now! I'm glad you liked it.

Piso Mojado

alnilam posted:

hahahaha. I used gimp for both of my publications and people thought I was a computer genius.

alnilam

Piso Mojado posted:

hahahaha. I used gimp for both of my publications and people thought I was a computer genius.

I know right when i showed my advisor you could modify the components of vector graphics like plots from matlab with inkscape, he quietly handed his professor wand to me and said "you're the advisor now"

Piso Mojado

alnilam posted:

I know right when i showed my advisor you could modify the components of vector graphics like plots from matlab with inkscape, he quietly handed his professor wand to me and said "you're the advisor now"

ikr!? Pretty much every biology paper published from my uni between 2004-2006 has a sass generated plot on it modified by me lol.

FluffieDuckie

shinmai posted:

Seeing as this forum is frequented by a whole bunch of creative and innovative individuals, I was thinking about harnessing all that brain juice to figure out a memorable and unique domain name for my school portfolio site.

I was planning on doing this by running a little contest thread with Steam games for the winners. I have all the bells and whistles that I think I'd need for my idea, but should I still PM a mod before posting a thread?

this sounds like fun and since you're offering a prize instead of just using yobbers to make money off them i can't see why it would be a problem

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

shinmai

CHK Instruction
Yay! I'll take some time to make some images and craft an op and :justpost:

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Piso Mojado posted:

no problem! that album is my go to coding album for nearly a decade now! I'm glad you liked it.

Speaking of coding, I failed to return a book I rented for a cancelled class. After the bill is paid, it'll be my book!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

shinmai

CHK Instruction
I like your caution sign and I used to have that same monitor :hfive:

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shinmai posted:

I like your caution sign and I used to have that same monitor :hfive:

Thanks. I forgot I had it stuck to the side of my desk for years. If I can find the source for the magnets, I'll link it here.

----------------

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

alnilam posted:

if you hate gimp and inkscape you hate science

i am willing to accept this

hi how are you ♥

shinmai

CHK Instruction
Cast down the Lords of Science, let the Age of Magic begin.

bare bottom pancakes

Production: Complete

Yobgoblin posted:

Speaking of coding, I failed to return a book I rented for a cancelled class. After the bill is paid, it'll be my book!

as a side note we both have the same wallpaper for our desktop

3D Megadoodoo

From the thumbnail I thought it was from Okami or something lol.

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom
SIB, I just backed Star Bastards, when will this ship?

shinmai

CHK Instruction

super mario batali posted:

SIB, I just backed Star Bastards, when will this ship?

quote:

Estimated delivery: Jul 2016

hth

thanks Matoi Ryuko :love:

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DraconicImpulse posted:

as a side note we both have the same wallpaper for our desktop

:respek: what's your resolution? My left monitor (not widecreen) is 1280x1024 and my right (primary one) is 1680x1050.

----------------

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i had a doctors appointment this morning and my resting heart rate was 69

:neckbeard:

shinmai

CHK Instruction

Luvcow posted:

i had a doctors appointment this morning and my resting heart rate was 69

:neckbeard:

nnnnnnnice

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i finally got my resting heart rate to 420 that flushed tingly dizziness is worth all the trouble

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Bo-Pepper posted:

i finally got my resting heart rate to 420 that flushed tingly dizziness is worth all the trouble

thats my next goal, i know i can do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shinmai

CHK Instruction
no what you're supposed to do is have a heart rate of 69 and your blood pressure be 420 over 187268