Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

G...Godwin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Siochain posted:

Except he, unlike you, is correct.
gently caress Diamonds, gently caress the Diamond industry. Also, they are boring-assed gems. Buy your SO's something fun that isn't just a compressed piece of black poo poo.

Or, and go with me on this, maybe get her what she wants because you love her and understand that what you find important and what she finds important may not be mutually inclusive.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Or, and go with me on this, maybe get her what she wants because you love her and understand that what you find important and what she finds important may not be mutually inclusive.

"Hey, you're not one of those SHALLOW WHORES who wants a big engagement ring or a fancy wedding, right? We should save the money for something more important."

"N... No, it's fine."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

This. Nobody outside of a grading jeweler can tell the difference in color/cut/clarity. There are cheap diamonds out there. I don't know about now, but I got my wife a ring off of eBay -- see there are a whole lot of Russian diamonds that have been artificially cleaned up (I think by lasers, magic, etc) and while that "destroys" the value for jewelers, it allows you to buy big, real, diamonds cheap. I got a huge thing with a $10k value certification for under $2k in a nice setting, etc. It's so big that her grandmother didn't think it was real and said that when we made more money she could upgrade it. :laugh:

Just like almost every other commodity, if you look in the fringe, you can find the same thing, cheaper.

And yeah, gently caress DeBeers and the diamond industry as a whole, but as the world gets more aware of its goings-on, you see that they are just like every other monolithic multinational organization in their ruthlessness and depravity for the sake of profit. :shrug:

Edit: I just looked it up... paid $2300, appraisal came in just above $15k. Diamonds make no sense.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 26, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Adiabatic posted:

I love you in, like, the most manly, hetero way possible.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Adiabatic posted:

Just get something that looks pretty.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Watches are basically just as useless nowadays. It is a bracelet. You got a phone for time.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Adiabatic posted:

This is the correct opinion.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Watches are basically just as useless nowadays. It is a bracelet. You got a phone for time.
Basically what I'm saying it don't take advice from the guy with earrings and a gold chain. Unless by "used to have" you mean 2002.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Pretty much. I can't wear jewelry at all because it annoys me and I was more than happy to ditch the watch once I started carrying a cell phone around. Watches are an accessory rather than a necessity now.

Also I'm not a comic nerd in the least, but loving LOL at Captain America actually being a Nazi, that's the dumbest poo poo I've heard in awhile.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I like a watch. I don't always carry my phone everywhere I go and when I do, its in my back pocket. Belt holsters or whatever are for NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERDS.

And I guess I'm a bit of a watch geek in that I have about 8 I wear with regularity.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Adiabatic posted:

Wife's a geologist, and hates diamonds more than I do :) So I'm preaching what my lovely lady wants hahah.
But, yes, if she likes diamonds, appreciate that. But make sure she likes them, and doesn't just ~think~ she's supposed to. There are WAY nicer looking gemstones out there (and some of them are even more expensive than diamonds). Find something she loves, not something they say she should love.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The only good use for diamond is drill bits, saws, and focusing lasers for Bond villains

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

leica posted:

Also I'm not a comic nerd in the least, but loving LOL at Captain America actually being a Nazi, that's the dumbest poo poo I've heard in awhile.

no no but you see in the movies red skull was just using the nazis as a tool to make hydra powerful he didn't actually believe in their worldview therefore hydra is not actually nazis and furthermore,

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
My wedding ring cost more than my wife's because, loving astronomy I wanted meteorite iron, and it was still cheaper than a lot of plain wedding bands. Screw spending loads on a wedding, it's one day for a cool party with friends and family- the money is far better spent on stuff the couple can use. A few weeks back we went to a wedding that apparently cost just under £20k- the food was shite, the venue couldn't find it's arse with both hands and a map and the bar tried selling the table wine back to us- I have no idea how it actually cost that much.

Strongly considering a cheap casio wristwatch for when I'm at work so I don't have to gently caress around with taking off gloves/harness e.t.c to root through my pockets for my phone, I have an accurist watch I got about 20 years ago but just replacing the battery would cost about 4 FW-91's unless I want to ruin the water resistance, and I want something I can not care about. But then I would have less of an excuse to gently caress around on my phone when I should be working.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-94E5sp8dQQ

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I bought something from rockauto yesterday at 10am and its being delivered today. Never had that happen before.

I wonder what magnet Im going to get.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Siochain posted:

Wife's a geologist, and hates diamonds more than I do :) So I'm preaching what my lovely lady wants hahah.
But, yes, if she likes diamonds, appreciate that. But make sure she likes them, and doesn't just ~think~ she's supposed to. There are WAY nicer looking gemstones out there (and some of them are even more expensive than diamonds). Find something she loves, not something they say she should love.

as a geologist i,

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
I tried a moto 360 when it came out but just couldn't used to wearing a watch period.

In the ring thing. It's more about attitude to me. I won't want to marry a girl who is materialistic and/or extravagant enough to want an expensive ring.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Adiabatic posted:

Pretty much. I spent around 4k on an engagement ring for my wife, but it is a vintage 1920's ring with a late 1800's diamond because thats what she wanted. I was much happier spending money on something vintage, not just because it was what she wanted, but because there is something nice about having a ring with a story behind it, even if we don't know it.

Then we had a wedding that was bigger and more expensive than I would have done if it was just up to me, but its what she wanted. And we both have big families, so the 120 person guest list took some time to get down to that level. And we didn't go into debt to make it happen, and yes we paid for ~3/4 of it. And everyone had a loving blast at our wedding. I am super happy that we did it how we did, even though it is kind of a blur but we have a ton of amazing pictures. Its almost as if people are different and want different things.

one of my favorite parts of the wedding was that we rented a 25 person stretch hummer to get a bunch of people from south Seattle where the wedding was to north Seattle for the after party. nothing like showing up to one of the worst/best dive barsl in the most awful vehicle, still wearing full suits with my wife still wearing her wedding dress, and proceeded to close down the bar.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 26, 2016

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

corn in the fridge posted:

as a geologist i,

Remember when you poo poo on movies and upped reading but never dared mention which books were good?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Well that's a fun new toy? Plans for it?

Cage posted:

I bought something from rockauto yesterday at 10am and its being delivered today. Never had that happen before.
I wonder what magnet Im going to get.
Hope your rockauto luck is better than mine. New master cylinder arrived DOA after taking a week to show up :argh: I just want to get that stupid car on the road but everything is taking way longer than it should. As I hit submit they called, new one arrived!

Kastein saw your wiring sperg in Spyder's thread, I'll be bugging you when I start putting together the harness for the race car. Will most likely be building it from scratch and while I don't need to go full motorsport levels (https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/wiring_ecu.html) I may.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 26, 2016

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

NitroSpazzz posted:

Well that's a fun new toy? Plans for it?

Making cash monies. I suck at be someone's employee.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kimbo305 posted:

Remember when you poo poo on movies and upped reading but never dared mention which books were good?

I remember that.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Until you work in an area where you're not allowed to have portable electronics.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Or you have a job where you regularly have both hands busy, but the time is always important. Like anybody in the medical field.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Or holy poo poo you like watches

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

HA! I am MR PRACTICALITY and a REALIST so I wear nothing but mom jeans, crocs and free t-shirts checkmate. :smuggo:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
You proles can't get custom made jewelry for free? Get on my level.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

I honestly like watches/jewelry but wearing it drives me insane and I can't stop fidgeting with it :smith:

I'm married and don't wear a wedding band. My wife was a bit upset at first but she's used to it now after 15 years :unsmith:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
How well do sunscreens work for a windshield? I have a new set of louvers that I'd like to not melt via heat.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

This. I use to VNC into my machine quite often for work. When I was gone during the day my now wife then girlfriend would occasionally look at rings. There was one she kept looking at the page for a few months, so I did a screenshot. When I asked her to marry me, I opened the box and it was the ring she had looked at many times before, except it was now real and on her finger. It was like a real life magic trick, the look on her face said it all. In any case, it wasn't the type of ring I would have bought, but it fits her perfect and one of a kind since it was an antique.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

iwentdoodie posted:

Until you work in an area where you're not allowed to have portable electronics.

I'm not supposed to have my phone in the cable company head end but I do anyways, fuggit. Just left a job at the poo poo plant. Not a fun couple hours smelling that.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Adiabatic posted:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I'm not supposed to have my phone in the cable company head end but I do anyways, fuggit. Just left a job at the poo poo plant. Not a fun couple hours smelling that.
He's not talking 'not supposed to have your phone in here'. He's talking bring in your phone and you will never see it again, do it a couple times and lose your job.

leica posted:

I honestly like watches/jewelry but wearing it drives me insane and I can't stop fidgeting with it :smith:
I like watches, I've gotten a few as gifts but can't stand wearing them either. Thought I'd get used to it but no even after a month it bugged the poo poo out of me. Same with all those fitness bands and crap.

About to go pick up the 320i:woot: It has driven less than 50 miles under its own power in the last ~4 years, tomorrow I start daily driving it. Guesses on what fails first and how many days/miles I can go before a failure?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have a timex that was like $50 and is cool.

For awhile I didn't wear one, but I like having the timer easily accessible for when I'm at a track or something and don't have an actual stopwatch handy. Seems like whenever I try to use the timer on my phone I mess up pushing start/stop/lap. Plus I try not to be that guy constantly staring at and using my phone.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

corn in the fridge posted:

as a geologist i,

As a geologist, you?

You like boring poo poo rocks?

You understand the humour of (Mg,Fe2+)2(Mg,Fe2+)5Si8O22(OH)2? (goddamnit forums how do I make the 2+ appear above the line, help I'm bad at HTML)

You've licked rocks in a professional setting?

Please, do elaborate. I hope this is as exciting as your choice in movies...wait...books? Oh...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

He's not talking 'not supposed to have your phone in here'. He's talking bring in your phone and you will never see it again, do it a couple times and lose your job.

Some places, they toss it in the electronics chipper after confiscating it! Fun times.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Black leather interior+nonfunctional ac+:sun:=:supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Autodromo watches are pretty cool I guess and they intersect with AI nicely.

• Locked thread