Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah... honestly that episode was so bad. They had Jay Pharrel doing his same "famous black people impersonations talk to each other" thing he's done a few times before, and they did baby body guy again, and they did something else too.... like literally half the sketches were just repeats of past sketches. :effort:

Quick derail. You have to see SNL as a pile of time that has to be filled every week. There is a process to pitch sketches, arrange them, and place them into the schedule so that entire block of time is filled with entertainment every week.

Some weeks just suck, or something didn't click in dress rehearsal, or the guest isn't as good at X as they thought, or whatever. So you have sketches on the shelf that aren't great, but good enough and can work with whatever guest is there that week. Baby body from this week works like that. Drake didn't do anything special in it, the cast member carried the whole thing, and it took up several minutes with no special costumes, sets, or props. THATS GOOD FILLER.

Also, you gotta remember this is a great big world with people that just aren't as jaded as you and me. I know many SNL skits I think are terrible just KILL my parents when they come on. So, maybe baby-body fits that definition and is just HI-LAR-IOUS to some group of people.

So, you gotta go into the show with the expectations that some will suck, some will be great, and most will be just OK. And if you take off the rose colored glasses, and stop watching "BEST OF" and actually watch the episodes, you'll realize that SNL/Python/etc. have always been that way.

END DERAIL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

FunOne posted:

Quick derail. You have to see SNL as a pile of time that has to be filled every week. There is a process to pitch sketches, arrange them, and place them into the schedule so that entire block of time is filled with entertainment every week.

Some weeks just suck, or something didn't click in dress rehearsal, or the guest isn't as good at X as they thought, or whatever. So you have sketches on the shelf that aren't great, but good enough and can work with whatever guest is there that week. Baby body from this week works like that. Drake didn't do anything special in it, the cast member carried the whole thing, and it took up several minutes with no special costumes, sets, or props. THATS GOOD FILLER.

Also, you gotta remember this is a great big world with people that just aren't as jaded as you and me. I know many SNL skits I think are terrible just KILL my parents when they come on. So, maybe baby-body fits that definition and is just HI-LAR-IOUS to some group of people.

So, you gotta go into the show with the expectations that some will suck, some will be great, and most will be just OK. And if you take off the rose colored glasses, and stop watching "BEST OF" and actually watch the episodes, you'll realize that SNL/Python/etc. have always been that way.

END DERAIL.

Nice SNeLtdown

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
On that same note a lot of people don't get the drake beef skit but I found it hilarious

THE ANSWER WAS YES
THAT SEATS FOR MY HAT

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FunOne posted:

END DERAIL.

I do get that, and I guess I should maybe be less critical. Its a ton of work to get done in a week and I'm aware from other shows like 30 Rock how often things get cut or changed last minute, and that can be a whole mess. There could be funnier skits that just weren't working out with this person or that person or whatever.

The problem though is that early SNL was so magical, and I grew up on it, so it set a REALLY high bar. Classic SNL was the funniest thing on television, somehow, week after week.

Its definitely changed, and its still better than MadTV or a few other sketch shows, but its got the same sense of fatigue that Simpsons does where they just keep going and going and almost feels like they're collapsing under the weight of how much they've already done and having to keep going.

Reminds of Seinfeld, every time they got a new season picked up by the network Jerry would be real excited but Larry David would be pulling his hair out and losing his mind. "They want 20 episodes? How the hell are we going to write 20 MORE episodes of this?! We're never going to find a way"

AAA DOLFAN posted:

On that same note a lot of people don't get the drake beef skit but I found it hilarious

THE ANSWER WAS YES
THAT SEATS FOR MY HAT

That was actually the skit I laughed hardest at. I'm not a big Drake fan and some of the sketches were so-so, but that kinda digital short music format worked perfect for his style, and the idea of somebody getting really loving angry at minor workplace conflicts but keeping it bottled up and then rapping about it is pretty loving funny.

I SAID I WASN'T DONE YET
I STILL HAD LIKE TEN SIPS OF WATER

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

crazy cloud posted:

Nice SNeLtdown

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

The problem though is that early SNL was so magical, and I grew up on it, so it set a REALLY high bar. Classic SNL was the funniest thing on television, somehow, week after week.

It's definitely way worse now, but you're just remembering the gold sketches from whatever time period you're thinking of and not the 75% forgettable garbage that SNL has always killed time with since its inception.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

It's definitely way worse now, but you're just remembering the gold sketches from whatever time period you're thinking of and not the 75 95% forgettable garbage that SNL has always killed time with since its inception.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SNL has had a bunch of funny epsiodes in the last couple years. The ryan gosling one was really good and im glad I watched it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkrpvCs-kfE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfPdYYsEfAE

The cast is mostly really funny.

e: kenan tompson continues to be a bane to the show though. He doesnt act with much depth.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 18, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

KoRMaK posted:

e: kenan tompson continues to be a bane to the show though. He doesnt act with much depth.

Keenan is the new Jimmy Fallon/Horatio Sanz. He doesn't try to act, he plays the same basic part and breaks character to laugh or point out how ridiculous the sketch is. I laugh pretty much every time he does the "Holy poo poo what is going on on???" look.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Medullah posted:

I laugh pretty much every time he does the "Holy poo poo what is going on on???" look.
Ew, gross. dont enable that behavior.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I hated Horatio Sanz and his "laugh in the middle of a sketch" thing. You're a professional comedian, stop laughing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PassTheRemote posted:

I hated Horatio Sanz and his "laugh in the middle of a sketch" thing. You're a professional comedian, stop laughing.

People had similar complaints about Harvey Korman's cracking up in the middle of a sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfTyEtVIe84

Although some people loved it, taking it as proof that the sketch was indeed extra-funny.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Zaphod42 posted:

Pretty cool, would play.

Also was watching SNL and... they pretty much directly copied the baby-legs sketch from interdimensional cable? But because it was live-action it was really dumb and awkward.

american dad also did a baby legs joke 2 years before rick and morty first aired :shrug:

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

prefect posted:

People had similar complaints about Harvey Korman's cracking up in the middle of a sketch.

Although some people loved it, taking it as proof that the sketch was indeed extra-funny.

Seinfeld is always giggling and it made it even more funny to me, imagine goofing around with your friends and cracking each other up, what's wrong with that?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

jet sanchEz posted:

imagine goofing around with your friends and cracking each other up, what's wrong with that?
It's hard enough to find a funny snl sketch, and when you finally get something decent Sanz or Fallon have this 'i farted' smirk the whole time.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Whorelord posted:

american dad also did a baby legs joke 2 years before rick and morty first aired :shrug:

i was born with baby legs smh

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

prefect posted:

Tim Conway was legendary though :colbert:

nah I'm okay when people break up in a skit sometimes, but it only helps when it's a rare or clearly magical thing. Chris Farley destroying David Spade as Matt Foley type stuff. The Jeffries skit with Brosnan and Ferrell is a good example of it helping. But if it happens with every dumb joke during weekend update it loses any value.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Whorelord posted:

Such a shame everyone writes off American dad for those first 2 semi bad seasons.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Ehh... American Dad has had some amazing episodes here and there, but too often they relied on the Roger playing a persona and being the antagonist of the episode. Like, that is the plot of probably 3/4ths of all the episodes.

It's still the best Macfarlane show by far though.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 24, 2016

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
The right/left wing McFarlane shows are just that. They're no better than each other, they just rely on observer bias.

Which, honestly, was a pretty good shtick to run.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Ehh... American Dad has had some amazing episodes here and there, but too often they relied on the Roger playing a persona and being the antagonist of the episode. Like, that is the plot of probably 3/4ths of all the episodes.

I'm not sure why you consider what you just described a bad thing.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
roger and steve own

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Roger is one of the greatest cartoon characters ever created.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mavric posted:

Roger is one of the greatest cartoon characters ever created.

but can you describe his character in one sentence?

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Alpha and Omega.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

max4me posted:

He's a needy melodramatic alien who lives in the attic.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

max4me posted:

Loki is a pretty good one word description.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

max4me posted:

An alien in a wig.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Rama of Ra posted:

The right/left wing McFarlane shows are just that. They're no better than each other, they just rely on observer bias.

Which, honestly, was a pretty good shtick to run.

this makes literally no sense lol

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

max4me posted:

Lovable Andy Dick

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Silhouette posted:

Lovable Andy Dick

Yes that was an episode

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Fateo McMurray posted:

Yes that was an episode

the one with the baby legs joke in it even

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005

NiceGuy posted:

this makes literally no sense lol

I don't think my opinion is nonsensical. I feel as though if anything it's passé.

Unless you mean you couldn't understand WHAT I was trying to say. In which case, get gud at readings. And use some grammar skills if you're going to correct others.

FOR NiceGuy:

American Dad isn't funnier than Family Guy, nor Family Guy funnier than American Dad. One just delivers jokes under a more liberal umbrella, and the other more conservative. Which show you like, in my opinion, comes down to which one of those is more palatable to you. I also think MacFarlane is pretty smart for creating two shows with all the same humor, just flavored differently enough he expands his viewership and essentially profits twice on the same ideas.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
In others posts, what's people's opinion on Evil Morty being our Rick's first Morty? I feel like that was being telegraphed a bit.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Uhh what? Both Family Guy and American Dad are liberal. Stan Smith is a conservative who always learns a liberal lesson.

The main difference in the shows is Family Guy's humor is mostly derived from nonsensical cutaways and parodies whereas American Dad is more character-driven and doesn't really have cutaway jokes.

Oh and my main issue with Roger and him being the center of a majority of episodes, aside from being a lazy fallback, is that he's what I feel an example of lazy writing for a "crass" character. They just make him say and do whatever and it doesn't matter because he's a crazy alien, get it? Rick is crass but feels like a real person with depth.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
American Dad is as conservative as The Colbert Show. In that it lampoons conservatives.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Rama of Ra posted:

American Dad isn't funnier than Family Guy, nor Family Guy funnier than American Dad. One just delivers jokes under a more liberal umbrella, and the other more conservative. Which show you like, in my opinion, comes down to which one of those is more palatable to you. I also think MacFarlane is pretty smart for creating two shows with all the same humor, just flavored differently enough he expands his viewership and essentially profits twice on the same ideas.

Dude, what? Either you're talking out of your rear end and have never actually watched either show or you're an idiot.

American Dad doesn't actually do much political humor anymore; they moved away from that years ago and started focusing on surealist humor and Roger based shenanigans. Frankly it was the right choice.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
American Dad is a lovely unfunny show, actually.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Paladinus posted:

American Dad is a lovely unfunny show, actually.

You're thinking of Rick and Morty actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MariusLecter posted:

You're thinking of Rick and Morty actually.

gently caress, i was about to post this

• Locked thread