Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

Butt Savage posted:

Mind sharing that Android app?

Phone-posting, but the name of the app is Alibi. Apparently none of the similarly-named iOS apps have anything to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Thanks. I think I found it and I'm having the same problems as a couple of the reviews I've read where the app has difficulty exporting saved recordings. Cool concept, but it's not playing nice with the S3 I'm messing with.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I was really just looking for a way to skimp on buying a Dashlanecam and using my phone to record things, but not save it locally. My phone could probably handle the saving of trips and uploading then deleting, but knowing my luck, I'd get into an accident the day I forgot to delete something and would have no evidence that I didn't blow a red light.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

I was really just looking for a way to skimp on buying a Dashlanecam and using my phone to record things, but not save it locally. My phone could probably handle the saving of trips and uploading then deleting, but knowing my luck, I'd get into an accident the day I forgot to delete something and would have no evidence that I didn't blow a red light.

Have you looked at Manything? The name is ridiculous, but I use it on our iPads to keep an eye on our cats if we're away for the weekend and it works great.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I tried manything a couple months ago to cat watch and it seemed like garbage.. it claims it can record on motion detect and I was never able to get it to actually do that.

Now I just get their spam every couple weeks. :geno:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Any of you guys use the Wikipedia app or recommend one of those Wikipedia readers? Or any other encyclopedias? My reading list is getting ridiculous.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Housh posted:

Any of you guys use the Wikipedia app or recommend one of those Wikipedia readers? Or any other encyclopedias? My reading list is getting ridiculous.

I generally avoid apps for websites that work perfectly well in safari. Can't just use safari or pocket or something? What feature do you need?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Housh posted:

I use WikiWeb, and especially like a few of its features, such as the graphic nodes/connections display, the ToC/content toggle, etc.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

tuyop posted:

I generally avoid apps for websites that work perfectly well in safari. Can't just use safari or pocket or something? What feature do you need?
I wish safari reading list had folders.

Right now I'm using noteshelf for quick hand written notes, good reader for reading and marking up documents, and Evernote for planning and structure. I need to see what Evernote web clipping function is like. Would be nice to save a live website and annotate it.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Housh posted:

I wish safari reading list had folders.

Right now I'm using noteshelf for quick hand written notes, good reader for reading and marking up documents, and Evernote for planning and structure. I need to see what Evernote web clipping function is like. Would be nice to save a live website and annotate it.

Evernote clipper is really good, but it doesn't clip "live websites". Have you tried Diigo? Maybe that's what you need.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Housh posted:

I use Wikipanion.

beefnoodle posted:

I use WikiWeb, and especially like a few of its features, such as the graphic nodes/connections display, the ToC/content toggle, etc.

Do tell, always up for an improvement.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just use the official app but it doesn't seem like it would do what you want.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Here are a few screen caps from my iPad. The image titles and descriptions should give you a feel for it.

http://imgur.com/a/TD43I

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

beefnoodle posted:

Here are a few screen caps from my iPad. The image titles and descriptions should give you a feel for it.

http://imgur.com/a/TD43I

Thanks! That looks like mind mapping. Interesting but not sure if it will be useful to me. Added to my Appshopper wishlist though. I'll have to check it out.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Probably not enough for what you want, but have you tried the share sheet -> Add to Notes? It makes a little link thing and can append to an existing note or make a new note. Not exactly folders, although I guess you could make a wiki links folder, then do different note/link lists within that.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Thanks, beefnoodle. WikiWeb is decent.

s0urc3
Mar 1, 2009

The ship is now armed and preparing to explode. This will be a fairly large explosion, so you'd best keep back about 22 miles.

Housh posted:

Throwing another vote for Wikipanion. It feels solid, well-designed, and you can add other wikis (I'm a wookieepedia junkie).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Did the new Google maps update literally make it impossible to turn off voice guidance, or am I just missing something obvious?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

Did the new Google maps update literally make it impossible to turn off voice guidance, or am I just missing something obvious?

Hahaha this confused me so much in the car today. There's a TINY red mute button on the main navigation screen now.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Why aren't you guys using Waze?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
so what's the deal with that? I thought Google bought Waze (and also intergreatted it into Google Maps) so when I use Google Maps, am I not getting the "best" route that Waze would offer up?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

so what's the deal with that? I thought Google bought Waze (and also intergreatted it into Google Maps) so when I use Google Maps, am I not getting the "best" route that Waze would offer up?

Nope. They're separate apps, with largely separate data sources and features. The majority of what they share is Waze's crowdsourced traffic and accident data.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Michael Scott posted:

I need a GPS at work and the only integration we have is for Apple Maps (ha ha, no) and Google Maps.

Also jesus christ, like...sure keep, that tiny button, but why did they also remove it from the loving settings screen?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Michael Scott posted:

I used Waze, but it's a very annoying app. I can see why some people might prefer the simplicity of Google Maps.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

~Coxy posted:

I used Waze, but it's a very annoying app. I can see why some people might prefer the simplicity of Google Maps.

This is me. I used Waze, and damnit was it a distracting and annoying experience.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Waze also looks like an app for children ...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waze has been giving me the dumbest loving reroutes lately and I'm getting angry with it. Like take back roads and add 4 minutes to my commute because the traffic build up at a red light has flagged the main road as a permanent traffic jam or something because it tries to avoid it every single day even though it's been my same commute for almost a year.

Edit: took a screenshot just now

It does this on two other parts of my commute. Every day.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 27, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vince MechMahon posted:

Apple Maps (ha ha, no)

OK, I'll bite. What's wrong with Apple Maps? I know it had issues of route fuckups when it came out, but it's been pretty solid these last couple years. I've used it on cross-country trips twice.

The only two GPS programs I've found to be accurate for me these days has been Apple Maps and Navigon. Google has constantly missed newly minted roads or neighborhoods enough that I won't ever consider using it again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple Maps works great for me. Never have trouble at all.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Waze can occasionally do some weird poo poo but 99% of the time it's bullet proof. When I follow it's re-routes I generally can look on to the highway I just left and see why or hear from a co-worker that they got stuck in something that it steered me away from. I have tried Google Maps, Apple Maps, and Here. None of them have the re-routing success that Waze does and kept getting stuck in crap.

Just yesterday I ignored Waze's reroute and paid the price. I didn't realize that the interchange to another highway was closed and it added 15 minutes to my drive.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

My main beefs with Apple Maps are that there's no "avoid highways/tolls" option, and its search results are often incomplete. Routing has never been an issue for me.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Apple Maps, at least for me, is awful for anything related to traffic. Google Maps will offer up alternate routes in the morning that may be quicker due to traffic, and it saved me from a half-hour delay due to an accident in the middle of a trip into the city. Apple Maps doesn't handle those situations as well in my case.

Edit: Also yeah, it's search results are sometimes really terrible. For a while, searching for the street I live on gave me a city like, 4 states away. Dunno why.

Or it's a relatively new app/service started from scratch that still has some issues in certain situations/areas that make it a bad option for some people.
\/\/

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 27, 2016

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

flosofl posted:

OK, I'll bite. What's wrong with Apple Maps? I know it had issues of route fuckups when it came out, but it's been pretty solid these last couple years. I've used it on cross-country trips twice.

The only two GPS programs I've found to be accurate for me these days has been Apple Maps and Navigon. Google has constantly missed newly minted roads or neighborhoods enough that I won't ever consider using it again.

Apple Maps is perfectly fine these days. I feel that most people who continue to complain about it don't actually use it and just whinge about it because it used to be the thing to do.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not being able to skip tolls is not "perfectly fine".

That said what's the best news app?

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

RhoA posted:

Apple Maps is perfectly fine these days. I feel that most people who continue to complain about it don't actually use it and just whinge about it because it used to be the thing to do.

I will add another vote to the "Apple Maps is bad at traffic" crew. I would love to use Apple Maps regularly, and I try it often, but it just doesn't have the traffic re-routing skills of Waze & Google Maps. I'm sure for people who don't deal with urban traffic, or who walk/train/bus everywhere, Apple Maps is awesome.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

vtlock posted:

I will add another vote to the "Apple Maps is bad at traffic" crew. I would love to use Apple Maps regularly, and I try it often, but it just doesn't have the traffic re-routing skills of Waze & Google Maps. I'm sure for people who don't deal with urban traffic, or who walk/train/bus everywhere, Apple Maps is awesome.

Ah, see, I live in Iowa, so there's almost no traffic at all ever. When I used to live in major metropolitan areas, I used public transport so never needed GPS.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I hope Apple allows Navigon or at least Google maps into Carplay.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hope auto makers arent giant fuckwads and put carplay into all models because it sucks not having it for m y2016 toyota tacoma

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

I hope Apple allows Navigon or at least Google maps into Carplay.

Agreed. I bought Navigon way back before they were purchased by Garmin, and I've just started using it again. Garmin's transition to HERE for map data is nice, but I think they always used Nokia for maps so I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes since HERE used to be part of Nokia. What I have been impressed with is the traffic routing and POI stuff in Navigon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It would be fine if they standardized on interfaces and you could just slot in an upgraded head unit to add carplay and it properly registered all your steering wheel controls and everything.

But nope, gotta buy a new car or shell out thousands to get an aftermarket shop to hack it in. :homebrew: