Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Massachusetts man has a surprisingly decent platform, given his history, but some things are unforgivable. God Damm, that haircut/mustache. Super gross!

Everyone better get down with my man John St. John.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rAjily7rME

Octatonic has issued a correction as of 15:43 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Mountaineer posted:

Actually I think Benjamin Franklin Butler looks pretty good. His VP is a poo poo, but really who cares about the VP as long as the President doesn't die in office.

EDIT: Well, less good now that I bothered to read his biography. Still, the past is the past, and I like his platform in the present time of 1884.

I don't care, since he also:

quote:

supported harsh Reconstruction measures against the South [and] graduated income tax, federal sanitary and safety laws, nationalization of the telegraph and railroad systems, and laws requiring companies to pay their employees with accepted American currency.

Greenbacks for life, baby!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

QuoProQuid posted:

After an extensive investigation, a Buffalo has accused Cleveland of violently raping a woman.

QuoProQuid, don't hold out on us- are there any Harper's cartoons of this?

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
To those of you considering voting for Cleveland, all I can say is this:

"Ma, ma, where's my pa!"

Don't vote for a rapist and absentee father!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Do I vote for a corrupt racist, a corrupt rapist, a guy who legalized rape or the prohibitionist?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Do I vote for a corrupt racist, a corrupt rapist, a guy who legalized rape or the prohibitionist?

Democracy in a nutshell

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

telegraph from prohibitionist hq, John St John speaking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3vXZJCfb_8

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Platform wise I like the greenbacks, but I figure america's gotta get prohibition out of the way at some point.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
It's time. Say goodbye to your hard cider, folks. :getin:

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Maybe if the fine women of New Orleans were not satisfied with how General Butler treated them, we should have sent them General Sherman. Butler for President!

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

There's an amazing episode of Whistlestop which talks about the crazy bullshit Blaine pulled to narrowly avoid being impeached for his obvious corruption.

The way John Dickerson tells it: Blaine asked to see the evidence against him after it had been presented in the House. He *stole it*, and then delayed the proceedings for a few days by pretending to be ill. He used that time to arrange for someone in the Senate to drop out of the Senate and for Blaine to be nominated in his place. Since Blaine was no longer in the House, the House couldn't impeach him. Since the Senate didn't have the evidence proving he was corrupt (conveniently lost), the Senate couldn't impeach him. Presidential material there.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Having refused to elect either the Greenbacks or prohibitionists at their bests, we're now faced with them as better options despite being at their worst. This is our own fault.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Also, I see A. Wyatt Mann has been around for quite a while.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
drat, Butler's platform is amazing

GREENBACKS

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Voting for the Saint

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I'm voting for Blaine (the Mono) because everyone else sucks worse.

The Greenbacks would be appealing except for ya know, the part where the guy legalized rape in New Orleans :stare:

SolTerrasa posted:

There's an amazing episode of Whistlestop which talks about the crazy bullshit Blaine pulled to narrowly avoid being impeached for his obvious corruption.

The way John Dickerson tells it: Blaine asked to see the evidence against him after it had been presented in the House. He *stole it*, and then delayed the proceedings for a few days by pretending to be ill. He used that time to arrange for someone in the Senate to drop out of the Senate and for Blaine to be nominated in his place. Since Blaine was no longer in the House, the House couldn't impeach him. Since the Senate didn't have the evidence proving he was corrupt (conveniently lost), the Senate couldn't impeach him. Presidential material there.

This actually owns and just further supports my point that Blaine is our man.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
So I can vote for populists that hate women???

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
Any man who oppresses The South has my vote.

Butler for President!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

NumberLast posted:

So I can vote for populists that hate women???

my friend you can always vote for populists that hate women

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
What the hell is it with New Orleans that gets people to set themselves up as dictators. Jackson did it too.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Enjoying the poo poo out of this alt-history project. However, only 20* years until a Real Man's Man dunks all over these other nerds...

*Depending on how 1900 goes, that is...

TheHoosier has issued a correction as of 19:12 on May 26, 2016

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

reignonyourparade posted:

What the hell is it with New Orleans that gets people to set themselves up as dictators. Jackson did it too.

Something something France

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Let's go Benjamin "spoons" "the beast" Butler

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So looking up the whole "treat them as prostitutes" thing it appears that while it was a draconian and ridiculous action, it mostly covered the social aspect of respectable women being relatively immune from verbal or physical retaliation. So you know, that order is hilariously insulting and disrespectful and surely lead to violence against women, but appears to not quite be as bad as I was interpreting it before?

Looking into his rule in New Orleans is quite something though. He Confederacy considered him a war criminal and they've got a good argument for it. He was also notable for his anti-semitism.

On the flip side, during his time there, he was apparently very good for the poor in the area and his rather extreme tactics did contribute a lot to the union effort in the area.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

fwiw butler's order p much just authorized soldiers to be rude right back at southern women

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

fwiw butler's order p much just authorized soldiers to be rude right back at southern women

Yeah I probably should have wrote "A dictator" or "A war criminal" instead there

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

SolTerrasa posted:

Yeah, here are the links to the two episodes, one on Blaine and one on Grover:

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/whistlestop/2015/04/james_g_blaine_and_the_mulligan_letters_on_this_week_s_whistlestop_campaign.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/whistlestop/2015/04/the_salacious_tale_of_the_love_child_that_nearly_cost_grover_cleveland_the.html

People think US elections have got crazier as time goes on but some absolutely batshit stuff happened in the past.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grover Cleveland didn't want to annex Hawaii, which is cool.

Too bad about, uh, the rest of it.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Ibogaine posted:

"Ma, ma, where's my pa!"

Gone to the White House, ha ha ha!

e: Also, this election was where the term "Rum, Romanism and Rebellion" was first used to describe what the new hordes of Irish and Italian immigrants were bringing to America.

Troy Queef has issued a correction as of 20:44 on May 26, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Butler also apparently raided New Orleans' financial and physical resources a few different ways, arranging the fire sale of the city's properties to himself. This also included a variety of activities that benefited the Confederacy. Not actually an ethical guy, just better at paying it lip service, at least by QPQ's description.

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 21:15 on May 26, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mountaineer posted:

Actually I think Benjamin Franklin Butler looks pretty good. His VP is a poo poo, but really who cares about the VP as long as the President doesn't die in office.

EDIT: Well, less good now that I bothered to read his biography. Still, the past is the past, and I like his platform in the present time of 1884.
Counterpoint: Does this look like the face of a man who will not die in office?

Butler and Blaine historically die sixteen days apart in January of 1893. :ssh:

Blaine’s blurb posted:

During one of his sermons, Samuel Burchard, Protestant minister and Blaine supporter, described the Democrats as the party of “rum, Romanism, and rebellion.” Blaine was present to hear the allegation but did nothing to disassociate himself from the allegation. The incident has left many voters convinced that Blaine is opposed to urban immigrants, opposed to religious minorities, and opposed to the South.

They say this like it’s a bad thing.

I’m tempted to vote for Blaine even though he’s corrupt as poo poo, but I cannot abide a VP who was personally fired by William Tecumseh Sherman. :colbert:

Maybe the Prohibition Party is a little too zealous in their crusade against alcohol, but clearly something is corrupting the nation’s moral fibre. I say we give them a shot (heh).

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Discendo Vox posted:

QuoProQuid, don't hold out on us- are there any Harper's cartoons of this?

EDIT: oh god i just realized that is a typo. im dumb.

The cartoon in the poll is the only negative cartoon that Harper Weekly published about the Maria Halpin Affair. Blaine was considered so bad that the Harper Review staff defected en masse to the Democratic Party. The magazine announced this by depicting themselves as Virginius, symbolically murdering the Republican Party.

Harper didn't really publish many cartoons depicting Cleveland, because they only ever saw him as the lesser of two evils. When they referred to him in print, it was usually to sow doubt about the accusations against him. Puck depicted this attitude:

This is good.

You are a good poster.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 23:46 on May 26, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
As a Massachusetts lady my loyalty will not falter.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

One of the most famous responses to Butler's order was this:

That's his portrait on the bottom of a chamber pot

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
How did it come about that Butler's VP candidate is a Confederate veteran who raised a regiment to fight against the north and still today does not consider blacks equal to whites? Strange bedfellows. (The last Greenback VP candidate, Barzillai Chambers, was also a Confederate veteran.)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Corek posted:

How did it come about that Butler's VP candidate is a Confederate veteran who raised a regiment to fight against the north and still today does not consider blacks equal to whites? Strange bedfellows. (The last Greenback VP candidate, Barzillai Chambers, was also a Confederate veteran.)

To be fair, very few white people at the time on either side of the Mason-Dixon line considered blacks equal to whites.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Seems like just a pretty blatant attempt to get some Southern votes since the Democrats were always running straight Yankee tickets

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I actually did some research a while back on this and I don't think either major party would run a presidential or VP candidate that made their name in the South again until LBJ in 1960.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Corek posted:

I actually did some research a while back on this and I don't think either major party would run a presidential or VP candidate that made their name in the South again until LBJ in 1960.

The Democrats selected Alabama senator John Sparkman as VP in 1952. And FDR's first VP was hardline Texas conservative John Nance Garner.

• Locked thread