Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Panch posted:

This is/was 100% me. My advice is that if it doesn't disappear with the patch (I saw somewhere, maybe here that they may still exist but changed to be less stackable?) do Robigo smuggling missions. I read this suggestion months ago when I tried to pop into the game and assumed it was another soulless grind. Now I'm sad I waited so long.

I suppose it could become a grind like any other, but it at least feels more like that early game progress combined with something a bit more interesting and with a new challenge. Challenging the first time, at least.

Robigo got me into the ~80-100m net worth range with only a few stacked runs, and that puts me solidly in the range to buy most ships and kits. Not the highest end stuff, but enough that it let me feel like I could explore the game's aspects beyond the grind again. Like I said though, might be completely terrible advice if they actually go away.

I think what I miss is kind of the character or life that a game like this needs. It feels like it's still a 1984 game with fancier graphics. I go back to Freelancer that I dumped way too much time into as a teen: Trading was interesting because there was a character to the world. You picked up gold from a place where you could see giant mining ships crunching asteroids, delivered it to factories in distant zones. You knew which areas were dangerous and why- certain zones had groups of pirates or rebels that were particularly dangerous or prevalent. Border systems felt a little less active and more dangerous.

Elite reduced all of that to turning away from the sun, waiting 10 seconds, then FSDing to a new, equally pointless star. I know there's technically the backbone of what I described in elite too, but it should be front and center. The FSD is a cool idea but I guess it also reduces the bubble to feeling incredibly small.

Sorry, post got away from me. TLDR, space is boring.

No, I think you are right on the money on this. This is exactly what Elite lacks, and Freelancer is the best example I can think of when it comes to filling an open-world space game with interesting stuff.

El Grillo posted:

I've definitely always felt that the lack of reality in the way the human civilisation is presented in E:D is a big flaw. It desperately needs actual infrastructure like factories, industrial mining depots and capital class freighters, mining ships, mobile stations or whatever.
Mostly just quoting this in case I ever get around to doing some big effortpost on reddit or the brown sea to try and get some dev answers on all this poo poo. Probably a pointless pursuit but hey.

My feeling exactly. Elite is a cool flight model and amazing graphics thinly smeared across an empty void of a game.

I'm not saying that Elite is limited in scope by the technical difficulties such a game might have, but it really lacks focus. Is it an MMO? Then why single player affecting open? Is it a single/multiplayer experience? Then why no storyline or even a cohesive mission system? Is it an X-like game? Then why no player bases, modulard space base design, hire-able NPCs to haul and trade, no empire-building?

It's the F-35 of games. It's shiny, expensive, but doesn't do any particular thing well even if it's a little of everything. It's unsatisfying and frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

It's the F-35 of games. It's shiny, expensive, but doesn't do any particular thing well even if it's a little of everything. It's unsatisfying and frustrating.

I like that analogy. But yeah, it's frustrating. I want Elite to be good and it has so many of the tiny flavor bits I like. I love that they're adding ATC style chatter, I like the extra little bits of toying with subsystems, power, etc. Little things like the animations of landing pads. All very well done. And visually stunning. I guess it's easy to polish something when there's not much to it.

With regard to the post on 'presenting human civilization' (mobile, can't double quote): I recently stumbled into what must be a newer station and though it had the same overall model, the coloring was different and the interior had palms and even some little plazas between the docking bays.

That enough made me want to make it a "base" of mine. It felt unique, like there was some semblance of character to it that made me want to stay there. I'm sure though once I randomly stumble into 20 more of those stations I'll go right back to not caring though.

I think too the whole idea of impermanence is kind of enjoyment/immersion(?) killing. Exploration and new territory is meaningless to me if there isn't an offsetting "familiar" area. If there's no difference between Lowtax Dock and the distant Whatever Orbital or whatever, why hang around? Or why *not* hang around?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I'm heading back from my first exploration trip to the North American, Elephant Trunk and NGC 7822 nebulas. When does engineers hit; this week?

Seeing some of the posts on grind and depth and I have to agree with a fair amount of them. I really like Elite, actually, but I enjoy a chill experience exploring, trading, and once in awhile shootymans, the first two while I'm watching some show on Netflix. I really like the pretty space pictures, taking screen shots of different types of planets and moons. Even when I played EVE, I enjoyed the "depths of space" type experience, seeing some lonely tower against a gas giant in Deklein or some derelict lost in a wormhole. The pretty pictures are fun, for me and relaxing.

I have enough energy and interest to fart around in an icourier, vulture, or asp-e, but unless they don't patch Robigo or they make missions a bit more profitable, I have no interest in grinding up the bigger ships.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 26, 2016

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Koobze posted:

Is there a trick to making Robigo fun? I tried it twice and the first time, my second jump had a cop interdict and scan me before I could boost away. Glad it happened fast instead of after most of the journey at least. Second time I made it all the way but only took one contract, and while my heart was pounding from the trip ultimately I feel the whole endeavor is more of a random-luck thing - invest an hour or whatever and hope you don't get interdicted. I guess some people log out when they get cops chasing, but that seems just as stupid as logging in and out to stack missions. I wish that mission stacking was not possible, and more than that I wish it was not necessary.
Interdictions are reduced to mere annoyance when you realize that shooting the cop scanning you interrupts said scan.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Don't know if it was posted yet, I didn't see it anyway, but patch notes are up : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=253924

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
8:30 BST is the ETA of the patch being released.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

IAmTheRad posted:

8:30 BST is the ETA of the patch being released.

Isn't that right now?

E: Then yes, it is!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Patch is live on Steam.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES
Patch is live outside of Steam.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

sheesh 8 gigs

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Efexeye posted:

sheesh 8 gigs

It's updating the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the game. Shame you can't just disable the 32bit one if you have horizons.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

IAmTheRad posted:

It's updating the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the game. Shame you can't just disable the 32bit one if you have horizons.

Right? :frontear:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
It would seem the Vive UI scale fix, that is listed in the patch notes, did not actually make it to this release either. Thanks frontier!

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

Isn't that because the difference between the two versions is literally just the client .exe and not the game assets? :v:

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Knifegrab posted:

It would seem the Vive UI scale fix, that is listed in the patch notes, did not actually make it to this release either. Thanks frontier!

Are you loving serious?? That's the major thing I was looking forward to. :negative:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Are you loving serious?? That's the major thing I was looking forward to. :negative:

Yup, they just copy and pasted the patch notes it seems because it was erroneously listed in Beta 5 as well. :frontear:

I should say this is what people are saying in the Virtual Reality subforum, I will check when I am home but I suspect this to be the case because Frontier.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I am able to take missions I do not have the rank for. So that did make it in.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I can't get the mission board to load, it keeps failing to connect. :iiam:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

What kind of scale fix were the promising? The UI looks a lot better with the Vive now at least, no jaggies at all.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Oh goddamnit not this No Response from network stream error bullshit again. Time to waste another 4 hours trying to fix it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Rectus posted:

What kind of scale fix were the promising? The UI looks a lot better with the Vive now at least, no jaggies at all.

This was listed in the patch notes:

- Provide a graphics option to adjust UI scale in VR with a maximum and default of 0.7 for Vive and 1.0 for Oculus

Which implies there would be a UI scale setting in the menus but it is absent.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Ahaha Robigo appears to no longer have a mission board or refueling services. The sheer outright hostility towards the playerbase is stunning, you will grind your lovely loving missions and you will like it.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

nightwisher posted:

Ahaha Robigo appears to no longer have a mission board or refueling services. The sheer outright hostility towards the playerbase is stunning, you will grind your lovely loving missions and you will like it.

:laffo: I guess I won't be doing Robigo when I get back from the exploration trip.

Also, 8 gigs can wait until I go to bed. Guess it's world of warships tonight.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

There are five other systems within a couple of jumps of Robigo where you can do the exact same thing.

Have they all been scrubbed clean?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I'd go check if i could get past this ridiculous patching error. Every update since the beta I have to to completely uninstall and reinstall the game to get it to patch.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

nightwisher posted:

Did they add extra space ships patrolling it like they did for planetary missions, just for good measure and principle of the matter?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

nightwisher posted:

I'd go check if i could get past this ridiculous patching error. Every update since the beta I have to to completely uninstall and reinstall the game to get it to patch.

It's giving you the 'response stream' error, right? I had that problem. Sometimes if the servers are bombed, the temporary/partial download file gets corrupted. The patcher can't sync the broken file, so it gets.. stuck.

Do a search in your Elite folder for any .part or .progress files, delete those, and try again. That fixed it for me.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 26, 2016

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Is it just me or have shields been nerfed considerably in the damage they'll take, or lasers beefed up? My usual B-class Python I can hang in a hazres or high combat zone until I need ammo just got smeared in a low combat zone within about a minute of dropping in, 5mil out of pocket and wondering What the gently caress just happened!?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Is it just me or have shields been nerfed considerably in the damage they'll take, or lasers beefed up? My usual B-class Python I can hang in a hazres or high combat zone until I need ammo just got smeared in a low combat zone within about a minute of dropping in, 5mil out of pocket and wondering What the gently caress just happened!?

At least in the Beta it felt like every other ship in the game is running a bunch of nasty engineer mods. I had a loving SIDEWINDER insta-cripple my Python with mines and lasers, that sure was fun.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Well, combat zone ships have always gotten a free dose of upgrades in the past (An out in the wild Anaconda is a faster direct hull loss kill than many CZ ships, as everything gets freebie armor upgrades for starters).

So outside of how their AI got an update, even if there were some tweaks to shields/weaponry on the base level (I haven't dug into the patch notes very deeply), I would not be surprised if CZ ships now get frequent free engineers upgrades on top.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 27, 2016

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

That sounds stupid and terrible.

Tikal
Nov 14, 2008

1.6 is live, go hog wild and start collecting materials mangs

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Colonial Air Force posted:

That sounds stupid and terrible.

No, all of those NPC Adders with Elite Rank you see in Resource Extraction Sites did it just by enjoying their lives and not grinding. Entirely realistic and immersive.

Then you start appreciating it because your Combat Ranking won't get a shred of experience for killing a Federal Corvette if it doesn't have a good rank. So going on a risk free wild shooting spree against Dangerous-Elite Adders and Asp Scouts in an anarchy zone let me round off to Expert.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm fine with the AI being improved (if rewards are likewise improved), but it sounds like (from here and the Brown Sea) combat is now basically impossible.

I suppose that's one way to force PVP.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
The era of big ships is over. All hail the eagle with ridiculous mods.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Hierophant posted:

The era of big ships is over. All hail the eagle with ridiculous mods.

FdL

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I'm fine with the AI being improved (if rewards are likewise improved), but it sounds like (from here and the Brown Sea) combat is now basically impossible.

yep, with 500+ hours on the clock and a Lifetime pass - I think I'm out if this is the new normal. Took another few passes at combat in a HiRez, exactly the same story only I managed to jump out with a quarter of a hull left. Gone from a fun and sometimes challenging space-shoot-man to an exercise in frustration.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

:lol: some idiot said max rewards for NPCs should be 1000cr.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

yep, with 500+ hours on the clock and a Lifetime pass - I think I'm out if this is the new normal. Took another few passes at combat in a HiRez, exactly the same story only I managed to jump out with a quarter of a hull left. Gone from a fun and sometimes challenging space-shoot-man to an exercise in frustration.

But you see, it's realistic because :downsbravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

:lol: some idiot said max rewards for NPCs should be 1000cr.

People think the grind is fun. There are people, real people, who are that bad. I just... :shepicide:

• Locked thread