Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

He wasn't in most of his earlier stuff too.

I know that, I was just citing the most recent example I could think of.

In unrelated news, I've been reading Marvel Adventures: The Avengers on Unlimited and it is delightful. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yvonmukluk posted:

He wasn't back in those halcyon days of the Brubaker run. I miss non-jerk Comics Steve Rogers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The resolution of the plot has Sam travelling back in time to fight Sin and Steve grows up with an irrational fear of black men in patriotic outfits.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

The resolution of the plot has Sam travelling back in time to fight Sin and Steve grows up with an irrational fear of black men in patriotic outfits.

I half expect it to be Bucky going back and they make some half-assed pre-destination paradox about that's why Steve liked him so much when he grew up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've seen a bunch of news stories about how Cap is a bad guy so you know, that's why they did it.

At least this is one character change Foxnews won't go berzerk about.

https://twitter.com/chrisarrant/status/735557426888347649

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 26, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I actually like Nick Spencer's Sam Wilson and Steve Rogers 1 was actually pretty good outside of those last two pages, which went for that sweet sweet comics shock value over good storytelling so I say bring Nazi Cap on. Especially since it pisses off aggressively ignorant idiots on social media who don't get that comics have done this poo poo all the time since its inception.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

zoux posted:

I've seen a bunch of news stories about how Cap is a bad guy so you know, that's why they did it.

At least this is one character change Foxnews won't go berzerk about.

https://twitter.com/chrisarrant/status/735557426888347649

Kind of miss Red Skull's Jiffy Lube garage jumpsuit.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Fighting American is the only shield carrying hero who would never ever turn Nazi.

Well him and the Shield, but who the gently caress cares about The Shield?*

I did, once.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I would, if her book came out more than once every 6 months.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Question: has anyone ever photoshopped a toilet in under the Fighting American there?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sumo posted:

Kind of miss Red Skull's Jiffy Lube garage jumpsuit.

Fashionable and useful.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I have to say rebirth and nazi cap have me excited for the greatest team up in comics history: Alan Moore and the reanimated corpse of Jack Kirby vs the big two.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

David D. Davidson posted:

I have to say rebirth and nazi cap have me excited for the greatest team up in comics history: Alan Moore and the reanimated corpse of Jack Kirby vs the big two.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Well him and the Shield, but who the gently caress cares about The Shield?*

I did, once.

Years ago, I had a "mash all the superheroes into one reality, except some of the creator-owned stuff" what-if nerdversation, and my chum and I ended up with the Shield being a super-soldier created after Steve was iceberg'd, who later left soldiering to found an intelligence agency. He was Nick Fury's boss in the modern day.

The hardest superheroes to fold into one world in this exercise were the Power Rangers, btw.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How hard can it be to fit FIVE TEENS WITH ATTITUDE* into a universe?

*Except that blue nerd

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I can't keep all these Caps straight.

Then give him a boyfriend already!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

There's a storytelling style that's essential to them actually feeling like Power Rangers, though, and it starts to fall apart in a world bring with superheroes. At best we could get it like Captain Marvel and the Shazammies in the broader DC universe: changing up most of what was so distinctive about the property originally, but at least nodding toward it every so often.

We did manage to have both the Green and White Rangers by having the latter be older Tommy who time-travelled from the future for some reason.

And now I'm remembering all sorts of details about this whole idea, like how we folded the Mortal Kombat characters in to it because why not, right? I think Spawn and Scorpion and Ghost Rider had a three-way mutual resentment thing going.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Amazing!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HBO announced that Westworld was coming out this fall and while checking into it, II was surprised to see that Ed Brubaker is writing for the show. I checked his page, looks like this is his first TV gig, looking forward to it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You know what I find really amusing and sad (for DC) about this Captain America thing is that somehow Marvel has taken what is an obvious shorter term story point and twist and it has completely overshadowed DC who on the same day basically just made the most controversial change to their comics imaginable by bringing Watchmen into the main DC Universe. DC's biggest gamble in years and it's getting completely overshadowed.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Usually I am pretty content with quietly lurking the threads in BSS, but the other day I was catching up with some thread and someone said something disparaging about the CG Spider-Man show, like it being bad, looking ugly, or something along those lines.
It was just a short little snide remark, and the post was at least 6 pages old, so I figured I'd let it go, but now it's been a full day and it's eating at me. I can't let this go. It needs to be said:
The Spider-Man show, made by Mainframe Entertainment, which aired on MTV, was spectacular. More than any other animated series before or after, it captured the grace and fluidity of Spider-Man as he swung through the city, dodged danger, and fought crime. It also had fantastic lighting and atmosphere, I remember a lot of episodes liked casting his silhouette in shadows and letting his eyes glow menacingly. It's hard to prove how cool it was because anyone who watches it now will think it looks like rear end, but I promise, when it aired, it looked awesome. Don't diss CG Spider-Man. It was made by the guys who did Reboot!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually largely agree. And I really liked NPH as Spidey, he had a really solid everyman tone for Peter, and a good quick delivery for Spider-Man banter.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

You know what I find really amusing and sad (for DC) about this Captain America thing is that somehow Marvel has taken what is an obvious shorter term story point and twist and it has completely overshadowed DC who on the same day basically just made the most controversial change to their comics imaginable by bringing Watchmen into the main DC Universe. DC's biggest gamble in years and it's getting completely overshadowed.

It's extremely bad press because everyone hates it though.

Also I can't stand scummy fake news advertising like this.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 26, 2016

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Everyone hated it when Doctor Octopus became the new Spider-Man, too. Marvel still laughed all the way to the bank, and by the end people were calling it the best Spider-Man story in years.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

X-O posted:

I hadn't considered that the CA reveal was specifically planned to coincide with the release of Rebirth, but in hindsight it makes total sense and is brilliant. Over on Reddit, after some early excitement for Rebirth, /r/comicbooks was basically overrun with Captain America posts by midday, and today still has way more Captain America posts than Rebirth. Not an objective metric but it sure felt like Captain America overshadowed Rebirth hard on Reddit once people started reading the rest of their books.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well Rebirth was spoiled something like four days ago. The release of the actual comic book is pretty insignificant, honestly. It's barely even a story despite being 80 pages long.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Travis343 posted:

Well Rebirth was spoiled something like four days ago. The release of the actual comic book is pretty insignificant, honestly. It's barely even a story despite being 80 pages long.

True. I had figured there'd be enough people who kept themselves away from spoilers that it'd still be huge, but it's still a totally spoiled comic vs a twist ending with little build/teasing/spoiling.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Everyone hated it when Doctor Octopus became the new Spider-Man, too. Marvel still laughed all the way to the bank, and by the end people were calling it the best Spider-Man story in years.

I don't think there's a problem with the actual story so much as in the execution of the story. Like, just like it's in poor taste to kill Spider-Man while he cries in a dying old man's body on the great big #700 issue of his comic, it's a poor idea to make your [Hero] #1 end with "[Hero] is a villain! Whaaat?" I get that it's just a gimmick to hook readers for a storyline that'll inevitably end with Cap back to normal, but I'm of the opinion that your #1s should put their best foot forward and make the main character someone the reader is interested in rather than trying to get them with "okay let's see what form of mind control bullshit it is this time". But then I guess I'm not running a comic book company so I guess bullshit plot hooks are what get the sells these days with the youth *yells at cloud*

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 27, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The only time that sort of twist worked was the original Thunderbolts #1.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

The only time that sort of twist worked was the original Thunderbolts #1.

Can we take a moment again to appreciate how amazing Thunderbolts #1 was

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also appreciate the irony that that issue also featured a hero draped in the US flag revealing that he was secretly a Nazi all along, but this one made sense!

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

It's all about how easy you can make a headline. "Captain America is a nazi" is easier to understand than "Blue-donged man terrorizes ten years of comic universe". DC blew their big controversy by choosing something that's nearly impenetrable to non-nerds. to me, it feels kind of self-indulgent in a way I can't really put into words.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Travis343 posted:

Can we take a moment again to appreciate how amazing Thunderbolts #1 was

It's a loving shame they only have like the first 4 issues on Marvel Unlimited before skipping to like issue 38.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Skwirl posted:

It's a loving shame they only have like the first 4 issues on Marvel Unlimited before skipping to like issue 38.

it'll go up for the movie

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

AlmightyBob posted:

it'll go up for the movie
I really hope they do a kill-everybody cliffhanger for Infinity War part 1 so they can do a Thunderbolts movie in the interim.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CapnAndy posted:

I really hope they do a kill-everybody cliffhanger for Infinity War part 1 so they can do a Thunderbolts movie in the interim.

I like where you're going, but it involves Thanos' plan includes a) kill everyone who could stop him and b) don't complete his plan for several months.

Thunderbolts exists because the Avengers appeared to die while succeeding in stopping Onslaught, there was no part 2.

Now that I say it that would be a good ending for Infinity 2.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Skwirl posted:

The paucity of the back catalog outside of the headliners is my one criticism of Unlimited.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

The paucity of the back catalog outside of the headliners is my one criticism of Unlimited.

In fairness, if you check out the "added this week" section, once you scroll past comics from 6 months ago they add a couple dozen or so deep cuts from the back issues. I wouldn't expect Thunderbolts until a movie is announced, it's mostly been 90's X-men recently, and before that Doctor Strange around when the first trailer popped up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Welp, never noticed the Doc's vanishing act leaves a little atomic bomb looking remnant in Veidt's Viewglobe thing there.

Pretty nice touch.

• Locked thread