Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gen-X'ers had MTV as a cohesive pop culture thing, we've got making GBS threads dick nipples, is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/nydwracu/status/735644991834361856

https://twitter.com/nydwracu/status/735646294039924736

Imagine me running in from far away ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH!

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Ahahaha, jesus christ

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
So I clicked on that nydwra-whatsit's twitter account and saw a ton of posts about Gawker outing Peter Thiel. Huh, I thought, I don't remember seeing that. I followed his link ... it happened in 2007. I noticed a tweet posted 10 hours ago about Jezebel's story "Hey, Male Music Journalists: Your Subjects Are Not Dates" - that one was from last August.

Does he just have no concept of time, or what?

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's been a while since Wesley's said anything that's made sense. Probably connected to his idea that he stopped being depressed by networking with other racists.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pookel posted:

So I clicked on that nydwra-whatsit's twitter account and saw a ton of posts about Gawker outing Peter Thiel. Huh, I thought, I don't remember seeing that. I followed his link ... it happened in 2007. I noticed a tweet posted 10 hours ago about Jezebel's story "Hey, Male Music Journalists: Your Subjects Are Not Dates" - that one was from last August.

The Thiel thing is in the news right now because he's been funding hulk Hogan's lawsuit against gawker.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

pookel posted:

Look, we can't support organizations and causes that doxx or out people, even if we might hate those people.

On a completely unrelated note

https://twitter.com/nydwracu/status/713616642660515840

https://twitter.com/nydwracu/status/713616931115384833

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

The Thiel thing is in the news right now because he's been funding hulk Hogan's lawsuit against gawker.

I know, but he's posting the outing thing like it's new. I went through his feed and it's all like that. He responds to years-old headlines like they're current.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

pookel posted:

I know, but he's posting the outing thing like it's new. I went through his feed and it's all like that. He responds to years-old headlines like they're current.

He's going to be super upset when he finds a post about what that dastardly President Roosevelt has been up to.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

jfc I wasn't expecting an example of my previous post to show up so quickly and in such an idealized form.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Heresiarch posted:

jfc I wasn't expecting an example of my previous post to show up so quickly and in such an idealized form.

I'm surprised you didn't. There should be a Moore's Law for how quickly the alt-right becomes more ridiculous than the most current jokes about it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Heresiarch posted:

Ahaha, four hours between your post and him saying that. Perfect.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Heresiarch posted:

The intellectual colossi that stride the world of neoreaction do not experience this "cognitive dissonance" that lesser men suffer from. The truly enlightened man knows that his axioms are true and that his logic is flawless; the contradictions apparent to the inferior mind are illusions, borne of exposure to hazardous ideologies that deny the existence of objective truth.

Yeah, that's actually perfect.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

I mean 4chan was kind of a whole generational thing, like I don't know anyone my age, at work or friends or otherwise, who didn't frequent it at some point in their lives, generally in their teens. However the only people who still frequent it are also some of the shittier people I know :iiam:

When I was in high school it was a weird point of pride for me that I never browsed 4chan or used memes despite all my friends doing so.

In retrospect, this is possibly the one thing high school me did right. Good job younger Hate Fibration.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Hate Fibration posted:

When I was in high school it was a weird point of pride for me that I never browsed 4chan or used memes despite all my friends doing so.

In retrospect, this is possibly the one thing high school me did right. Good job younger Hate Fibration.

And then you went and burned away all that cred with this post. drat shame.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/735671790115131392

Organizing a mob is bad

http://ask.fm/St_Rev/answers/128305288958
Organizing a mob is good

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I thank the baby Jesus every day that there was no social media when I was in high school.*

*aside from loosely associated Livejournals, IRC, AIM etc.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Hate Fibration posted:

Good lord, you people are young. I used to hang out on 4chan occasionally ... like six years ago, when I was in my 30s. When I was in high school we had BBSes. In college I got email for the first time. That was pretty amazing.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Is there some big body of people who both 1. are 'progressives' and 2. think Gawker isn't a rag that Rev is sallying against here? I've never heard anyone with a good word for them but maybe I'm in the wrong circles.

This doesn't include people who think Gawker is a rag and who are alive to the dangers implicit in an oligarch shutting down a media site.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Well, I read and post on Jezebel sometimes, and I even occasionally click on Gawker links too. In my world, that means I think sometimes they do some good journalism and their commenters can be pretty funny. But to people like Rev I think that means that I'm a big hypocrite for "supporting" Gawker.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hate Fibration posted:

I also never posted on 4chan.

I was too busy posting on the Wizards of the Coast forums :negative:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Peel posted:

Is there some big body of people who both 1. are 'progressives' and 2. think Gawker isn't a rag that Rev is sallying against here? I've never heard anyone with a good word for them but maybe I'm in the wrong circles.

This doesn't include people who think Gawker is a rag and who are alive to the dangers implicit in an oligarch shutting down a media site.

I mean theoretically some of the people who write for Gawker.

Rev more or less sees all progs as an amorphous mass, so I don't think he can tell that there's people who aren't crying over Gawker but think this sets a worrying precedent.

Unless he wants to use left-wing people arguing as proof the innate viciousness of the progs. He can see differences then.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Who What Now posted:

Well, you don't have to worry about anything stupid you said being saved, since they're gone now.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Who What Now posted:

Runescape here and I am so glad everything there got deleted after like 3 months on inactivity.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I personally am very glad that Google bought the Usenet archive DejaNews and over time made the service essentially unusable, effectively hiding the secret shames of my youth behind an :effort: wall.

Yes, I am pretty loving old.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gawker, for all it's dumb tabloid flaws, was definitely One Of The Good Ones. It had sections like Valleywag that were great, broke important news stories like The Silk Road, had some genuinely good reporters (Sam Biddle) and, most importantly, was pretty much the last large news outlet that isn't owned by one of the big five media conglomerates.

I'm not going to pretend like it didn't also have trashy celebrity bullshit stories but it wasn't only that, and even those didn't have the raw unbridled loathing of all that is good in the world that TMZ has.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also Gamergate started because of Kotaku (which is owned by them) which is enough of an argument in and of itself :v:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gawker, for all it's dumb tabloid flaws, was definitely One Of The Good Ones. It had sections like Valleywag that were great
Valleywag's been basically dead for years. The whole conservative Facebook brouhaha was broken on Gizmodo of all places.

Also Gamergate started because of Kotaku (which is owned by them) which is enough of an argument in and of itself :v:
No, it did not.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Look, as we all know, if someone is an abuser, the logical reaction is to go to the worst place on the internet, get people riled up, and then do your damnedest to keep the anger going for as long as you possibly can while willingly associating with the worst people possible in a bizarre prolonged riot with no clear goals other than maintaining the rage.

I once saw my neighbors being assholes to their dog, so I went out and immediately started a fire in the forest on a hot dry windy day.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zemyla posted:

Well, you don't have to worry about anything stupid you said being saved, since they're gone now.

awwww finding people freaking out about rules changes was the best

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Look, as we all know, if someone is an abuser

which is ins anely unlikely

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Heresiarch posted:

I personally am very glad that Google bought the Usenet archive DejaNews and over time made the service essentially unusable, effectively hiding the secret shames of my youth behind an :effort: wall.

Yes, I am pretty loving old.

Same.

It also preserved the first Open Source I released, so I could find it again recently, which was kind of nice. You know, in case anyone wanted to use Minix 1.5 on 68040 hardware.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Gawker, for all it's dumb tabloid flaws, was definitely One Of The Good Ones. It had sections like Valleywag that were great, broke important news stories like The Silk Road, had some genuinely good reporters (Sam Biddle) and, most importantly, was pretty much the last large news outlet that isn't owned by one of the big five media conglomerates.

At least there's still Pando! (Motto: “We’re all hosed.”)

eschaton has a new favorite as of 02:58 on May 27, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cardboard Box A posted:

Valleywag's been basically dead for years. The whole conservative Facebook brouhaha was broken on Gizmodo of all places.

Yeah I know :smith:

Cardboard Box A posted:

No, it did not.

I mean yes it did, unless you mean that that was just an excuse and it actually started from the pit of seething white hot hatred of women in which case yes that is also true.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Yeah I know :smith:

I mean yes it did, unless you mean that that was just an excuse and it actually started from the pit of seething white hot hatred of women in which case yes that is also true.
That's what I mean, the excuse didn't particularly matter because it was disingenuous in the first place.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

eschaton posted:

At least there's still Pando! (Motto: “We’re all hosed.”)

When the hell did Pando stop being just a bunch of press releases?

It's still garbage but it's different garbage, I wonder what happened.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

pookel posted:

Good lord, you people are young. I used to hang out on 4chan occasionally ... like six years ago, when I was in my 30s. When I was in high school we had BBSes. In college I got email for the first time. That was pretty amazing.

I feel so small and young now.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

And then you went and burned away all that cred with this post. drat shame.

I don't get the joke :saddowns:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hate Fibration posted:

I don't get the joke :saddowns:

You basically said the internet equivalent of going "I don't even own a TV :smug:"

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

You basically said the internet equivalent of going "I don't even own a TV :smug:"

I don't own a TV! That's what laptops and internet connections are for! :pseudo:

I think you are massively overestimating how universal 4chan was for people. Me and my friends in high school were massive dorks. I feel like the fact that they used memes in everyday conversation and I still hung out with them was evidence of this. But no one outside my little group of nerd friends would catch the references. The internet equivalent of "I down even own a TV" is easily "I don't have a Facebook" and I am not sure why you are so defensive about 4chan, especially when talking about the time period we are, the site was definitely a "Not for everyone" kind of place. I always felt it was downright unpleasant and very much lacking in accountability, and years later everyone I know who was involved with it finds it embarrassing and awkward. It was really more like the adolescent geek equivalent of "super embarrassing goth phase" and pretending that it's some sort of generational touchstone strikes me as pretty disingenuous.

Hate Fibration has a new favorite as of 04:30 on May 27, 2016

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I read an article on Slate today about how Thiel shouldn't hold a grudge against Gawker and fund Hogan's lawsuit, and I just can't agree. Thiel is a terrible person, but outing someone for the sake of page views is hosed up.

e: Maybe this doesn't pertain to this thread or this post, and the quoted post was about amusing hypocrisy. That article was just fresh in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

I refuse to lie to myself and pretend that I don't find intense satisfaction in the public embarrassment of utter shitheels like Thiel (and Hulk Hogan, etc), even if the other side of my brain is telling me that Gawker is a gossip rag with exceedingly poor editorial ethics. I think the majority of people in this thread feel similarly; we are not rationalist Übermenschen who refuse to even acknowledge the contradiction and therefore feel the need to find a logical excuse for their instinctive emotional reactions.

I also believe in the sanctity of human life and the necessity of human dignity, while at the same time feeling very strongly that (for example) Margaret Thatcher deserved to die homeless and suffering in a ditch somewhere in Yorkshire.

Vast, contain multitudes, etc.