Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Planet X posted:

We have Barbadian friends, and they bring us Bajan sauce, as well as top secret homemade sauce too. I like the freshness of the cucumber.

I'm jealous! I'll bet it all tastes awesome, the food was really good on Barbados.

I bought a poorly-edited cookbook, with lots of local recipes. Here is one for a more traditional hot sauce; I haven't made it yet, as the recipe is a little weird. Maybe one of you can try it out and give us a trip report?

[notes from me are in brackets]

quote:

In the 1950's fresh horseradish was widely grown in Barbados and was a main ingredient in Bajan yellow pepper sauce. However, as the sauce became a commercial product, this wonderful ingredient faded out. This is an original old Bajan recipe.

Ingredients:
4 Oz / 125 g Green-topped spring onions
4-5 medium onions
12 fresh ripe Scotch Bonnets (or 24 chili peppers)
1/2 Oz / 15 g fresh turmeric (or 1 tsp dry powdered)
2 Tbl English Hot Mustard [Colemans. anything else and you are a MONSTER]
1/4 Cup + 2 Tbl salt [about 100 grams of salt, see note below]
2 1/2 Cups of vinegar
6 cloves of garlic
1 Lb / 500 g of fresh grated horseradish root (or 1 Tbl of dried horseradish powder) [1lb? that sounds a like a LOT]
3 dozen peeled pearl onions (Optional)

[Note: original printed recipe calls for salt as follows "1/4 cup 1oz/3og salt", which I've translated as "1/4 cup + (1 oz / 30 g)", or 6 Tbl / 100 g)]

Directions:

1. Wash, peel, and coarsely chop the onions and spring onions. Remove the stems from the hot peppers (Optional: for a less hot sauce, remove the seeds). Peel the garlic.

2. Place the onions, spring onions, turmeric, mustard, salt, chili peppers, garlic and 1/2 cup of vinegar into a food processor, and process for a few minutes. When processing, wrap a kitchen towel around the lid, as some processors will spew when thin liquids are processed.

3. Add 2 cups vinegar, the grated horseradish, and the pearl onions (optional). [no note as to whether or not you pulse it in, or just mix it in, or what]

4. Store in clean bottles.

Once I figured out the salt typo, the remaining issues are:
-1 loving pound of fresh horseradish? that seems like way too much, specially since the dry equivalent is 1 Tablespoon.
-Not sure if you are supposed to do more processing in step 3.

Some one please try this. :)

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Sort of related to hot sauce, but is there any appreciable difference in terms of spiciness between different colors of habanero peppers?
red = ripe = hotter although some will ripen to orange

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

C-Euro posted:

Sort of related to hot sauce, but is there any appreciable difference in terms of spiciness between different colors of habanero peppers?

I've heard that browns/chocolate varieties are hottest and that the peach and yellow less so, but I have no personal experience there.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Today I dumped out about half a bottle of Crystal that I kept in the pantry, because the color had changed from bright red to brown, and it smelled a little funky and didn't taste as fresh and piquant anymore. I'm the only one in the house who uses it, and when I bought a fresh bottle for the break room at work, I realized how red it was, and how brown my home bottle was. I'm a hot sauce wuss compared to most of you, but I love Crystal for a basic, everyday hot sauce, and I was shocked it went "bad," due to the vinegar content.

I also dumped out most of a bottle of "Smack My rear end and Call Me Santa" hot sauce I received as a gift several Christmases ago, just because it felt like it was time, it wasn't too amazing, and there was sediment floating in it.

Now I need to buy more Crystal to keep on hand, but I have my favorites: Tabasco Chipotle (so good!), Pickapeppa, and Tiger Sauce (I prefer sweet/fruity and smoky hot sauces), plus Nando's Medium Peri-Peri and Thai sweet chili sauce in the fridge. I wish I liked sriracha as much as everyone else, but I had a bottle that took me years to get through. Any suggestions for other sweet/fruity/smoky, medium hot-to-hot sauces I should try?

For what it's worth, I used to LOVE the Batch 81 three-pepper sauce that Quizno's Subs used to have. It was sweet AND smoky and thick, almost as thick as barbecue sauce. They used to sell it in glass flask-shaped bottles, but not in over a decade.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Any suggestions for other sweet/fruity/smoky, medium hot-to-hot sauces I should try?

bongwizzard posted:

These are all the best hot sauce...

Lizano is another all too often overlooked option but less fruity and more thick/tomatoey/Tabasco-ish but not terribly hot and delicious slathered on everything in sight.

http://www.amazon.com/Lizano-Chilero-Hot-Sauce-Pack/dp/B000BWUEBM

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Diablo sauce is back at taco bell.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Manslaughter posted:

I had this today. It was good!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

It's hotter then Fire sauce, but I like Fire sauce better.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I just bought some Crystal and I must say this stuff is pretty dang good! I poured some (ok, a lot) on some sardines and it was might tasty!

isaboo fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 17, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the supermarket nearest me had these for sale http://sinclaircondiments.co.uk/

I bought the banana ketchup mostly out of curiosity and i'm not a big fan but these hot sauces are great

is probably about the heat of encona extra hot west indian pepper sauce but has sugar in so is sweet instead of vinegary.

is a little hotter than tabasco and really smoky and really nice

they weren't cheap though, cheaper than on the site at least

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Manslaughter posted:

I finally tried this. It was hot but not crazy. The taste however was just sour meh. Really disappointing IMO.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Was just about to post asking if any UK goons could steer me in the right direction for stuff available here and Jose comes to the rescue. Smokey Naga sounds like it's my kind of thing.

For content, I bought some stuff from the Wiltshire Chilli Farm after I encountered them at a market/fair. Got the Caribbean:

And the Reaper Habanero:

Much prefer the Caribbean one, the Reaper Habanero has fallen into the trap of going for sheer heat whilst saying gently caress the flavour IMO. Usually use the Caribbean when I do fajitas/tacos although it's runny as poo poo so my hands get drenched. Still tasty though. After spending last year in North America I am distraught that hot sauce is so much less prevalent in restaurants here.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I'm looking for the hottest possible sauce I can get that still tastes good. Any suggestions?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Highblood posted:

I'm looking for the hottest possible sauce I can get that still tastes good. Any suggestions?

just look for superhots with no extract. I like Melindas Scorpion and Dave's Scorpion Pepper. Ghost I love troppical pepper co's as it's less than 4$ a bottle.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Not very spicy at all, but I have a new love - trader joe's green dragon hot sauce. Lime/cilantro/tomatillo/green chile. Heavy cilantro/tomatillo flavor, just enough heat to warm the tongue. I am puttin it on everything.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

pr0k posted:

Not very spicy at all, but I have a new love - trader joe's green dragon hot sauce. Lime/cilantro/tomatillo/green chile. Heavy cilantro/tomatillo flavor, just enough heat to warm the tongue. I am puttin it on everything.

Protip: use this as salad dressing.

That poo poo is the bee's knees.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

pr0k posted:

Mrs. Squashy picked up a bottle of that last week, and it's great! Nice and sour, has a strong tomatillo flavor to it.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

The Midniter posted:

Protip: use this as salad dressing.

That poo poo is the bee's knees.

I can't say this sauce in particular, but your favorite hot sauce as salad dressing is great.. Been doing this for years and the looks I get are hilarious

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

niss posted:

I can't say this sauce in particular, but your favorite hot sauce as salad dressing is great.. Been doing this for years and the looks I get are hilarious

Holy poo poo what a great idea.

Edit: Also I met my match y'all. I got the "Hottest Jerky Ever" from Big Jim's over in SAmart and god drat it's too hot for me.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Croatoan posted:

Holy poo poo what a great idea.

Edit: Also I met my match y'all. I got the "Hottest Jerky Ever" from Big Jim's over in SAmart and god drat it's too hot for me.

Keep practicing, you'll get it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
The classics never get any love. Texas Pete is pretty good on fried chicken y'all.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Croatoan posted:

The classics never get any love. Texas Pete is pretty good on fried chicken y'all.

Texas Pete is great, if I run out of homemade stuff, it is my go to hot sauce

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got hooked on KFC's hot chicken and now it's gone. I need a good recipe for nashville style hot chicken.

To be clear, I've never had authentic nashville hot chicken before so I don't know how the kfc stuff compares. But i thought it was pretty good. I'm sure someone here can steer me to something better.

Also, I know how to fry chicken. I'm just looking for a sauce I can toss fried chicken in.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Okay, as someone that enjoys Nashville Hot Chicken and lives in Nashville, I'll share what little I know. Like BBQ rubs no one shares their recipe.

This is a pretty close idea of the process:
http://m.nashvillescene.com/bites/archives/2008/07/31/bites-exclusive-winning-hot-chicken-recipe

Typically it's a spice blend of some really hot poo poo, not just cayenne.

Also, it's not greasy, so I don't know if they fry it again or if the crust absorbs the lard some. It ends up more like a dry rub.

Snorri
Apr 23, 2002
Just wanted to chime in with a quasi-local sauce:

Very spicy and unlike a "normal" hot sauce. I think it is still just a husband and wife making the sauces, can't tell from the website. I find it very hard to describe, but if you can try a bottle, it is worth it. It is like a spicy tart hot sauce, but no hint of vinegar and maybe a touch of citrus?

The original sauce of theirs I got hooked on was the coconut harissa variety, which they retired at the end of 2015. I bought a TON of them half off while they were clearing it out. On a hot dog it tastes just like chili, but with some spice, and way better for you.

The rest of their sauces are also quite good but none stand out as much as these two for me.

Edit: Forgot to include the URL http://apinya.co/.

Snorri fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 10, 2016

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Cholula chili lime remains my favorite sauce on black beans and rice. :yum:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Snorri posted:

The rest of their sauces are also quite good but none stand out as much as these two for me.

Oh my goodness that packaging is adorable. I might get some for the collection.

Edit: GAAASSPP They're at the Pepper Palace in St. Augustine! Heck yeah, The boyfriend and I are now planning a trip over.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 12, 2016

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey goons I put some peppers in a blender with garlic, salt, onion, and vinegar. Can I keep the mash in the pantry without killing myself, or should it go in the fridge? And how long should I let it sit before straining it (if I choose to do so)?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Annath posted:

Hey goons I put some peppers in a blender with garlic, salt, onion, and vinegar. Can I keep the mash in the pantry without killing myself, or should it go in the fridge? And how long should I let it sit before straining it (if I choose to do so)?

I'd put it in the fridge since it's fresh veggies, even if the salt and vinegar help out in that regard. I would say that straining depends on how much of the flavor you want out of the veggies. In fact I'd almost suggest to blend it as smooth as possible and not strain out the solids.

If you're worried about a mash going bad, try fermenting or pickling the peppers for a week or two before making them into a mash. Keeps for a much longer time and the flavor is more pronounced, not to mention that if you make a mash of just peppers then you can use that as a base to play with different vinegar contents, extra veggies, and other stuff. I started doing it a few months ago and it's a lot of fun, currently testing green jalapenos to see how well they work (the original recipe suggested red jalapenos or fresno peppers, which are a little harder for me to find)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

If you can get the pH down to 3.8 or lower, it will keep outside the fridge because bacteria won't be able to survive.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Went to pepper palace, got me some goodness. https://imgur.com/5T5bcqj

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The pumpkin one, send it to me.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Pepper Palace owns. They mailed me their sampler pack for free when I was out in Diego Garcia. The garlic Parmesan buffalo is amazing on grilled chicken thighs, and the Smokin' Mocha barbecue sauce is like an insane molé with coffee, chocolate and habanero.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Butch Cassidy posted:

The pumpkin one, send it to me.

Order it for yourself, it's only like tenbux and shipping.

Wild T posted:

Pepper Palace owns.

They dooooo

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

taqueso posted:

If you can get the pH down to 3.8 or lower, it will keep outside the fridge because bacteria won't be able to survive.

What's a good way to measure pH? I'm assuming some sort of food grade test strips, but I wouldn't know where to find them.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Annath posted:

What's a good way to measure pH? I'm assuming some sort of food grade test strips, but I wouldn't know where to find them.

I just use some cheap strips I got from Amazon. Put the strip in a little bit of sauce that you removed from the main container so you don't have to care about food safe.

There are also electronic pH meters if you want to get fancy.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

These are my two standards.

Granted most of Gemini Crows hot sauces are amazing.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Snorri posted:

Very spicy and unlike a "normal" hot sauce. I think it is still just a husband and wife making the sauces, can't tell from the website. I find it very hard to describe, but if you can try a bottle, it is worth it. It is like a spicy tart hot sauce, but no hint of vinegar and maybe a touch of citrus?

The original sauce of theirs I got hooked on was the coconut harissa variety, which they retired at the end of 2015. I bought a TON of them half off while they were clearing it out. On a hot dog it tastes just like chili, but with some spice, and way better for you.

I bought all 6 of these, and they just showed up last week. I've tried the original, the naga, and the pumpkin and they are all awesome so far. Highly recommended.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
So I tried the Tropical Pepper Co Ghost Pepper sauce and I really like it. Took some time to adjust to the heat but now it's feeling just right. I got a bottle of Dave's Ghost Pepper Sauce and it's a lot hotter but I'm assuming that's mainly because hot pepper extract is an added ingredient. I'm not crazy about that. I'm sure I can build up a tolerance but it doesn't seem worthwhile to me when the heat doesn't come directly from the pepper. It feels more like building up a tolerance to pepper spray than to a hot sauce.

I'm wondering if anybody has any recommendations for hot sauces around this heat level or hotter that don't add hot pepper extract? Main uses for me are on pizza and soups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Weirdly enough Dave's scorpion pepper does not use extract. Melindas makes a scorpion a little hotter than Tropical's ghost, but it's maybe impossible to do better than them for a ghost pepper sauce unless you're looking for other flavors which will result in something more mild.