Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

It never ceases to amaze me at how quickly the Megaman fanbase can produce superior content.

I mean that first guy is an actual Archie artist who works on Sonic and Mega Man so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Takoluka posted:

I get that, but there's a difference between "While the game is fundamentally broken, there's a good story with engaging and charming characters, and if you're willing to deal with the game's technical problems, you'll walk away having had a fun enough experience with a handful of decent laughs" and "Nothing about this game is redeemable and can be avoided at all costs."

Mega Man Legends is seen by some as an absolute slog of a game with terrible mechanics, and I promise you that if Volnutt, Caskett, and crew weren't good and memorable characters, Legends probably wouldn't be regarded by much of anyone at all.

Who are these some so I can beat them up.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

See I guess it's no so much the design choice as it is the style...seeing it in these other illustrators style I think it looks decent enough.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Electric Phantasm posted:

Who are these some so I can beat them up.
\o

Actually that's an exaggeration. I think MML is sort of ok, pretty mediocre in the gameplay department(and I strongly dislike all the anime archetypes that the characters are, especially Tron and her family, so the story does nothing for me either) but very good looking for a low poly game.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

This one is pretty sweet actually.
That's because it looks almost nothing like the design its based on

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

IronicDongz posted:

\o

Actually that's an exaggeration. I think MML is sort of ok, pretty mediocre in the gameplay department(and I strongly dislike all the anime archetypes that the characters are, especially Tron and her family, so the story does nothing for me either) but very good looking for a low poly game.
That's because it looks almost nothing like the design its based on

That's fair and I will say the amount of fights you can win no issue by running circles around the enemy is super high.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I've always really liked Andrew Dickman's take on a MegaMan cartoon. He works in the animation industry too far as I'm aware, and he's a fanatic of the series and a great illustrator to boot. Someone needs to just hire the dude to be art director.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I didn't want to go into my personal opinions on the games I cited, since I was trying to make a larger point, but yeah I wasn't really a fan of any part of MML, gameplay or otherwise.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

LemonLimeTime posted:

I've always really liked Andrew Dickman's take on a MegaMan cartoon. He works in the animation industry too far as I'm aware, and he's a fanatic of the series and a great illustrator to boot. Someone needs to just hire the dude to be art director.

Yeah he has good opinions about Megam-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0WOpnGO5XI

it is from 2001

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rockman Neo owned back then. At that point even flash videos were rarely well animated and it was particularly well done amidst a sea of game sprite flash videos. Like seriously. FIFTEEN YEARS AGO. drat, I remember seeing it when it was first uploaded.

Also the song Back To Mad, by Texas human being, rules

edit: I also still like his stickman-type designs from that. Hell of a lot better than some of the designs we've gotten since then.

lol I used to talk to the dude who made this all the time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkvwFgxSReg

It was his first attempt at making a game and it...didn't have the terrible sound effects or ~blood~ yet, it was much better before he added that stuff apparently

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 26, 2016

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Honestly, more than anything the biggest thing that bothers me about the direction of the show is the target age audience is so...low and "Mega Mini." Yikes.

I remember really digging Rockman Neo when the flash animation was released too, but honestly a grim dark MegaMan would be kinda lousy in retrospect. He did an excellent Gamma piece for the same MegaMan art show I was in a few years back.

It's not like all rebooted cartoon franchises look bad either. This seems to only be the case for video game properties. (Sonic Boom and that Pac Man one come to mind) But the new Ducktales and Peabody and Sherman have excellent excellent art direction going on.

Actually it's funny, I remember a few years ago Namco had a poll asking which designs of four different variants people liked most for Pac Man and 3 ghosts. I thought everyone hated the CG one but I guess not...

Option B would have been pretty cool. Even C for that matter. :(

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 26, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I admit I don't get the problem with Mega Mini, it doesn't sound particularly inappropriate for a Mega Man side character. It's a franchise where Dr. Light helps a robot boy named Mega Man fight Dr. Wily and his evil Robot Monsters named Bright Man and Cut Man, unless you count the Japanese version where the boy is named Rock and his sibling are Roll and Blues plus their enemies Forte and Treble.

If you told me that in Mega Man 6 there was a new robot named Mega Mini who helped Mega Man out I'd just assume he drops powerups or serves an Option or something.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

If you told me that in Mega Man 6 there was a new robot named Mega Mini who helped Mega Man out I'd just assume he drops powerups or serves an Option or something.

the position has been filled

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I admit I don't get the problem with Mega Mini, it doesn't sound particularly inappropriate for a Mega Man side character. It's a franchise where Dr. Light helps a robot boy named Mega Man fight Dr. Wily and his evil Robot Monsters named Bright Man and Cut Man, unless you count the Japanese version where the boy is named Rock and his sibling are Roll and Blues plus their enemies Forte and Treble.

There's nothing wrong with adding new characters (the Archie original stuff seemed alright), but people are gonna be more critical when that piece of art is all we have to go on for now.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Motto posted:

There's nothing wrong with adding new characters (the Archie original stuff seemed alright), but people are gonna be more critical when that piece of art is all we have to go on for now.

I'm not opposed at all to new characters. But there's a stark difference between hearing about a new character called Quake Woman (who turned out fine) and Mega Mini. Again, Scrappy Doo written all over that motherfucker.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

LemonLimeTime posted:

Honestly, more than anything the biggest thing that bothers me about the direction of the show is the target age audience is so...low and "Mega Mini." Yikes.

I remember really digging Rockman Neo when the flash animation was released too, but honestly a grim dark MegaMan would be kinda lousy in retrospect. He did an excellent Gamma piece for the same MegaMan art show I was in a few years back.

It's not like all rebooted cartoon franchises look bad either. This seems to only be the case for video game properties. (Sonic Boom and that Pac Man one come to mind) But the new Ducktales and Peabody and Sherman have excellent excellent art direction going on.

Actually it's funny, I remember a few years ago Namco had a poll asking which designs of four different variants people liked most for Pac Man and 3 ghosts. I thought everyone hated the CG one but I guess not...

Option B would have been pretty cool. Even C for that matter. :(

A and C are basically the same thing, B and D are both way better than either A or C, so of course they went with the shittiest one!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I kinda liked the Megaman Xover designs

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
D Pacman is wannabe burton-esque garbage. B and C are both fine.

If only the Megaman cartoon was gonna be an adaptaton of the Archie comics.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 26, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LemonLimeTime posted:

I'm not opposed at all to new characters. But there's a stark difference between hearing about a new character called Quake Woman (who turned out fine) and Mega Mini. Again, Scrappy Doo written all over that motherfucker.

You know literally nothing about the character besides his name.

You know literally nothing about the show's visual design besides one picture of Mega Man.

It is, perhaps, just a hair too early to assume that Mini Mega is a plot-devouring monster who will be shoved into ever episode and ruins everything.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

You know literally nothing about the show's visual design besides one picture of Mega Man.

It is, perhaps, just a hair too early to assume that Mini Mega is a plot-devouring monster who will be shoved into ever episode and ruins everything.

Yes, I agree. I just....I have a bad feeling about this.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

They trademarked it's name. How do you not suspect it will be shoved into everyone's face?

-e-
It will be the sidekick that reveals the Mega powers.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 26, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

They trademarked it's name. How do you not suspect it will be shoved into everyone's face?

... Because trademarking the name of anything in a kid's show is pretty goddamn common?

Like goddamn if you look at a Lego set it's like "DARTH VADER(tm) and YODA(tm) pilot an X-WING(tm) in this LEGO(tm) brand LEGOVENTURE(tm) set."

Yes, I am willing to bet they hope that MEGA MINI(tm) becomes a toy kids like buying. The inherent jump from this to "this will ruin everything" in Mega Man, the franchise which introduces new characters and new gadgets in every game, is a bit much, especially because we have had multiple Mega Man games based around the idea of collecting a bunch of widgets to power up Mega Man and, shockingly, they were pretty fun.

So, y'know what. If Mega Mini reveals the Mega Powers that Mega Man has to collect to get new gadgets and gear? That's completely in tone for the franchise and I'm not prepared to declare they're making GBS threads on my childhood because their series about a brightly colored child robot collecting superpowers might contain a brightly colored child robot collecting superpowers.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 26, 2016

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

... Because trademarking the name of anything in a kid's show is pretty goddamn common?

Like goddamn if you look at a Lego set it's like "DARTH VADER(tm) and YODA(tm) pilot an X-WING(tm) in this LEGO(tm) brand LEGOVENTURE(tm) set."

See, a toy set. It could be a PET with a personality.
Also notice that "Aki Light" hasn't been trademarked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

See, a toy set. It could be a PET with a personality.
Also notice that "Aki Light" hasn't been trademarked.

Yes, because "Mega Man" is going to be on the packaging, not "Aki Light." This is, again, extremely common especially for superheroes with secret identities or what not. You're far more likely to see IRON MAN(tm) secret identity of Tony Stark than IRON MAN(tm) secret identity of TONY STARK(tm)

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

LemonLimeTime posted:

Yes, I agree. I just....I have a bad feeling about this.

I only have a bad feeling cause it was not animated like the stuff from this girls tumbler!

http://sessk0.tumblr.com/

But that would have probably cost way to much money.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, because "Mega Man" is going to be on the packaging, not "Aki Light." This is, again, extremely common especially for superheroes with secret identities or what not. You're far more likely to see IRON MAN(tm) secret identity of Tony Stark than IRON MAN(tm) secret identity of TONY STARK(tm)

(I admit I hadn't any luck finding something similar for Tony Stark)

I'm wary of anything that sounds like it was only created for pushing toys and Mega Mini is pushing all the buttons.
The writing might be fine, but the generic "hiding your super hero identity while going to school" premise and the awful artistic quality of that one image that's the front for the whole press release aren't promising.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BexGu posted:

But that would have cost money.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Light Gun Man posted:

Just imagine being Inafune right now. Getting owned by motherfucking sonic the hedgehog on twitter. Is this rock bottom? Can things somehow get worse?

https://twitter.com/DiGiornoPizza/status/735927188797726722

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

I'm wary of anything that sounds like it was only created for pushing toys and Mega Mini is pushing all the buttons.

If you're 'wary of something created only for pushing toys' then you have right to be. A children's televsion show about a marketable robot who fights other toy robots is going to be about pushing toys. Your avatar and name are literally about a marketable toy robot from a brightly-colored show made with the primary goal of selling toys to children.

Mega Man is going to be about selling toys. It would be about selling toys no matter what it did because Mega Man is a toyetic series and when it was created video games were basically in the same mindspace as toys. Mega Mini is probably going to be cute, marketable and probably designed to appeal to children. That isn't a bad thing for a series about a cheerful boy robot who fights evil machines.

The people they're advertising as working on it worked on like Ben 10 which I fully expect the new Mega Man to resemble. It probably won't be to my taste but when Ben 10 was big kids loved the poo poo out of it and I don't have a problem with kids getting their own Mega Man to enjoy.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 26, 2016

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Marketing has become loving weird.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

motherfucking dogpiled

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Aki Light is already a better character than Geo Stelar by default.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

What a day to get dunked on by frozen pizza and a cartoon hedgehog.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

If you're 'wary of something created only for pushing toys' then you have right to be. A children's televsion show about a marketable robot who fights other toy robots is going to be about pushing toys. Your avatar and name are literally about a marketable toy robot from a brightly-colored show made with the primary goal of selling toys to children.

Mega Man is going to be about selling toys. It would be about selling toys no matter what it did because Mega Man is a toyetic series and when it was created video games were basically in the same mindspace as toys. Mega Mini is probably going to be cute, marketable and probably designed to appeal to children. That isn't a bad thing for a series about a cheerful boy robot who fights evil machines.

The people they're advertising as working on it worked on like Ben 10 which I fully expect the new Mega Man to resemble. It probably won't be to my taste but when Ben 10 was big kids loved the poo poo out of it and I don't have a problem with kids getting their own Mega Man to enjoy.

This, pretty much.

Not that being a kid's series is necessarily a death sentence for quality, as Avatar and Steven Universe show. But I guess those shows are less toyetic.

But I remember enjoying Ben 10 when I was a kid, so I bet kids these days will enjoy the Megaman cartoon even if it isn't made to appeal to all the adults that grew up on the games.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

IGN released a promo image of MegaMan from the show along with Mega Mini....

....Adam Ant?????

Electric Phantasm posted:

Marketing has become loving weird.

It's become high school.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 26, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LemonLimeTime posted:

....Adam Ant?????

I get the weird feeling that Mini Mega is gonna hack into computers or something. Something about the design.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

To an extent shows like Steven Universe do that too. Thing is though...those designs are universally appealing.

I had some hopes for this, seeing as the few times I briefly saw Ben 10 while channel surfing it was surprisingly uncringworthy and tolerable. And they worked on Big Hero 6 too? Like jesus. Maybe the artwork just sucks for now...

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

LemonLimeTime posted:

....Adam Ant?????

Makes one wonder if it's the sort of situation that the updated Max Steel cartoon got, where "Mega Mini" is the catalyst to gain armor, etc.

As for the design of the character, it doesn't seem too bad overall but I also acknowledge that I'm not the core group the new cartoon is going for and I'd rather not make too many judgment calls before actually seeing it in motion.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I never got why they'd base a cartoon on an already-existing property, and then use absolutely nothing from that property beyond a similar character design or two. It'd be like "Metroid: The Animated Series" and then Samus is a gruff old man with a friendly robot sidekick who has to defeat Ridley, president of the galaxy, with card games.

What's so difficult about adapting a Megaman cartoon? It's not like the classic storyline is super-convoluted and based upon obscure Japanese folklore, it's literally "Astroboy, less complicated." And lol at that character design. It really does look like a piece of old American boxart, complete down to the derpy face.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Gundam is a bad example to pick, just because the creators secretely opposed the sponsor's intend of just having a toy selling vehicle. They wanted a serious space drama first.
I'm not even sure Haro got proper merchandise until the series took off with the movies (It got cut from 52 to 43 episodes, after all).

My worry is that Mega Mini's existence is played up to sell toys when it effectively does nothing of importance. And those characters are annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Lurking Haro posted:

Gundam is a bad example to pick, just because the creators secretly opposed the sponsor's intend of just having a toy selling vehicle.

The OP of the Gunpla thread would show you there isn't much secrecy to that hatred. :v:

LemonLimeTime posted:

That looks dumb as hell. Also, why does it look like it's coming out of MegaMan's helmet jewel?