Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I've been waiting for a Thunderdome loss to regenerate my avatar, but I haven't had time to take part, so I figure the 30th anniversary of the death of Robert Holmes is as good a reason as any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Why would you punish yourself in such a manner :smith:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/torchwood-outbreak-coming-november-2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is this the last one Myles is doing or was that talk of her being done just bullshit?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why would you punish yourself in such a manner :smith:

It did kick me in the rear end to get stories finished, but I was always extremely unhappy with how they turned out, always rushed and messy. Turns out working two jobs, being the primary songwriter for a gigging band, co-owing a record label, and helping to run a regional Sci-Fi convention means you have a hard time making deadlines!

And even then, the lack of useful criticism got irritating after a while. I understand the "keyfabe to prevent hugbox" thing, but I don't know where to begin if the only feedback is that my submission was "terrible." If any of the above things slow down, I might start contributing crtis, but I don't think I'll be submitting again any time soon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I was talking more along the lines of why would you give yourself a 6 av

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gaz-L posted:

Is this the last one Myles is doing or was that talk of her being done just bullshit?

Apparently it was trolling bs. She's back next season and for this.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Because his last av was 5!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Because Colin Baker rules the school, fool :cool:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Because Colin Baker rules the school, fool :cool:

*citation needed

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

*citation needed

The Five(ish) Doctors is the definitive text on the subject.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Dark eyes 2 part 1 - The traitor. Is there something I'm missing. It ends half way through then the next episode is just something entirely different.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Tom Baker's Final Interview in Doctor Who Magazine

quote:

The latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine - issue 500, read all about it here - contains what Fourth Doctor actor Tom Baker refers to as his "final" interview. In the first of two parts, DWM chats to the man who graced the very first issue of the publication, when it was known as "Doctor Who Weekly", and to this day has a very special relationship with.

Discover all the contents of DWM 500 here.

Interviewed in April at his home in East Sussex, Tom tells DWM:

“I’ve done a lot of interviews and I dare say that there might be another reason, perhaps a sad one, why you might mention me again in the magazine.

But your readers know all my stories by now, or half of them, so it seems that this might be me bowing out from the spotlight…”

Here's an exclusive excerpt from his new interview in Doctor Who Magazine:

“Your readers, their kindness, it takes my breath away,” he tells me. “Some of their letters and messages are so extravagant, and my feeling is of gratitude, really. I feel like… I nearly said Prospero,” he laughs, that familiar, fruity, Tom Baker laugh. “That’s going too far… but I have been such stuff that dreams are made on.”

“In the long time when Doctor Who was out of production, you kept it alive, didn’t you? You were wonderful. And Doctor Who Magazine has been very good to me, for all these years. I’m so grateful for what you’ve done for me. You’ve given me such happy memories.

Well, I’ll be dead quite soon.”

Tom has a long and wonderful history with the publication, just like he does with television show. His first major interview with DWM took place in August 1984; issue 92 in which its cover promised, TOM BAKER SPEAKS OUT!

Elsewhere in the interview, Baker remembers the launch of Doctor Who Weekly all those years ago in 1979 and reveals that every issue he receives from Doctor Who Magazine, Tom signs his images inside and donates them to a hospice.

:smith:

Is he actually ill or is he being his usual morbidly-obsessed-with-death self?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
He's 82, at that age a lot of stuff can be randomly fatal even if he doesn't have a specific condition

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Little_wh0re posted:

Dark eyes 2 part 1 - The traitor. Is there something I'm missing. It ends half way through then the next episode is just something entirely different.

Dark Eyes 2 takes place out of order to a certain extent, from what I recall, so don't worry, it'll make sense by episode 4.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, the "I'll be dead quite soon" line actually just sounds like pretty standard Tom stuff to me... or at least I hope so! But like MrL_JaKiri says, he's 82. He's already outlived the average and at that age it doesn't take much to do you in, sadly.

Of course we all secretly know that Tom Baker can't really die, but let's all just play along with the pretense

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
When Tom Baker dies, it'll be weird having two Peter Davidsons.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I was super disappointed with the latest Gallifrey audio.

The last one ended on a "Oh man, poo poo is going down!" cliffhanger, and this one does something I can't stand, even accommodating the time travel stuff - it erases the events of the last release via timey-wimey paradox, and then the events of this release.

It feels like a cheat when you're invested in the narrative, and then it pulls the rug out from under you. Oh well, Lalla Ward, Louise Jameson et al. are still pretty great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CaptainYesterday posted:

He'll regenerate into Lalla Ward just to make things super-awkward.

Pesky Splinter posted:

I was super disappointed with the latest Gallifrey audio.

The last one ended on a "Oh man, poo poo is going down!" cliffhanger, and this one does something I can't stand, even accommodating the time travel stuff - it erases the events of the last release via timey-wimey paradox, and then the events of this release.

It feels like a cheat when you're invested in the narrative, and then it pulls the rug out from under you. Oh well, Lalla Ward, Louise Jameson et al. are still pretty great.

If done right that kind of thing can be clever, but more often than not (and as sounds like the case here) it just pisses off the audience because the whole thing ends up feeling like it was ultimately pointless and irrelevant.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 27, 2016

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

If done right that kind of think can be clever, but more often than not (and as sounds like the case here) it just pisses off the audience because the whole thing ends up feeling like it was ultimately pointless and irrelevant.

Yeah, that's the main issue - is that it's honestly kind of pointless - it's six hours of stuff happening, to then be told, "Actually, none of this mattered at all." It might as well have been a dream sequence for the actual impact it had on the characters.

:siren: Spoilers Here's a gloss of the story :siren: - bits of it are pretty good and interesting, but it feels like squandered potential.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edit: Accidental edit/post sorry

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tim Burns Effect posted:

:smith:

Is he actually ill or is he being his usual morbidly-obsessed-with-death self?

Given some of the stories that have gone around, it wouldn't exactly be the most shocking thing in the world to learn he has liver disease.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I will cry my goddamned eyes out if Tom dies.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CaptainYesterday posted:

We've already got Peter Davison and David Peterson, 3 doesn't make that much difference

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tom on mortality is interesting. He jokes that he records so many BF's in advance, that they'll be releasing new ones long after he's gone, but in another he laments that it's not fair that Caroline John, Elizabeth Sladen, and Mary Tamm have all passed away yet he's still alive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Timby posted:

Given some of the stories that have gone around, it wouldn't exactly be the most shocking thing in the world to learn he has liver disease.

His liver will just regenerate. Shame about the colour, but what can you do?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Things I've learned at Timegate Atlanta:

- Paul McGann is hard to read
- Nick Briggs is a lot taller than I thought
- Jason Haigh-Ellery is a rad dude

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
https://twitter.com/NothingLane/status/736279386081611777

Another three billion people that were considered for the Doctor.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

No words.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fil5000 posted:

There's some pretty solid alternate-dimensional casting going on in there. You can imagine some of these guys being fantastic Doctors, and it'd be really interesting to see like, a 90s Goldblum as the Doctor.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

:eyepop:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

'Chris' Eccleston is also on there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

Wait a minute, Anthony Stewart Head was "considered but unsuitable"?!

Granted, it was a couple of years before he played Giles, but still, it's weird to think that there was a time he wouldn't have been considered a good actor for the role.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They asked Charles Dance and he sneered with contempt and replied,"You know it's my destiny to one day play the Master, a destiny I cannot escape, don't bother me with casting calls for the Doctor :mad:"

After they left Alan Rickman leaned over and said,"I am going to attempt to escape my destiny to play the Master, what's the worst that could happen?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

They asked Charles Dance and he sneered with contempt and replied,"You know it's my destiny to one day play the Master, a destiny I cannot escape, don't bother me with casting calls for the Doctor :mad:"

After they left Alan Rickman leaned over and said,"I am going to attempt to escape my destiny to play the Master, what's the worst that could happen?"

"You are so evil and calculating and cold, in a way only a classically-trained British actor can be!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

Charles Dance has a rightful destiny of continuing to be the Patrician of Ankh-Morpork :colbert:.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I bet that Peter Capaldi guy would be a great Doctor! :allears:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I think I'm most amused that they were interested in everyone from The Mary Whitehouse Experience except for Steve Punt.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Lmao Stephen Dillane as the Doctor, yeah right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Rik Mayall 20 years ago would have been excellent Doctor material.

• Locked thread