Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Another big reason why the latest DLCs suck for both games is that they're basically just a new tab on the UI that you can maybe ignore completely if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
The DLC is great because while some of the features may be, to some, pointless, and to others, essential, everyone can decide if they want to purchase those if they add to their gameplay.

Its main boon is that it allows Paradox to justify continued updates, most of the content of which come free anyway, for years after the release and traditional expansion cycles of normal game releases.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Automated navy is the loving poo poo and I love it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Was thinking of doing an aar or lp or whatever to show off some of the more stupid Vicky 2 mods out there

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Larry Parrish posted:

Another big reason why the latest DLCs suck for both games is that they're basically just a new tab on the UI that you can maybe ignore completely if you want.

But Mare Nostrum also adds Condottieri which are one of the best things added to the game.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

the more stupid Vicky 2 mods out there

Oh please oh please do the one I made!

http://oldforum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?738215-HoD-Divided-We-Stand-(Balkanized-North-America)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Was thinking of doing an aar or lp or whatever to show off some of the more stupid Vicky 2 mods out there

I would be down for it.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Did the Equestria mod ever get finished?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Chief Savage Man posted:

Did the Equestria mod ever get finished?

you're gonna have to be more specific

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

because there are, for some reason, several stickied pony mods on the paradox forums. and also thanks to browsing moddb for vicky mods i know about this abomination:

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 26, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

because there are, for some reason, several stickied pony mods on the paradox forums. and also thanks to browsing moddb for vicky mods i know about this abomination:

I'd say something, but I wouldn't know where to start.

...actually, never mind, I would have to start with ponies having taken over Iran, because... actually, I can't work out exactly what irks me about that. I just want to say "everything".

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
talk about the red sea

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Gamerofthegame posted:

talk about the red sea

That's clearly just a side effect of the apocalypse having happened. I mean, that's just common sense.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TheMcD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEbCSuIJGCw&t=39s

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TheMcD posted:

...actually, never mind, I would have to start with ponies having taken over Iran, because... actually, I can't work out exactly what irks me about that. I just want to say "everything".

the world is now very different

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
What does it say about me that the first thing I noticed was Poland-Crimea without Crimea?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Can my leader be the woman who bends barbells with her tits?

edit: and has freakishly long and skinny forearms?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Chief Savage Man posted:

What does it say about me that the first thing I noticed was Poland-Crimea without Crimea?

i started it up just to see who the powers are in 1836, so

but it appears hes moved on to eu4, which i am sure you will all be excited about

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=460921179

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 26, 2016

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Where, exactly, is the Skunk Republic located?

Do I even want to know?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm going to assume that the 'Pan Dynasty' is somehow related to Kung-fu Panda so that would put the Skunk Republic somewhere near the ninth circle of hell.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

GSD posted:

Where, exactly, is the Skunk Republic located?

Do I even want to know?

China, yo

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

dublish posted:

It seems that whenever Paradox and CA get in a fight, Paradox wins. Johan making fun of CA's AI was the best.
Details please

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2BZOuZ6h6c

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Yeah, the recent DLC has been weird.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

From the Paradox Forums:

johan posted:

Sorry, I don't have time to talk about our AI atm, but I was not aware of there being an AI in Empire Total War.

TW Rehab posted:

Empire - AI

@Johan:

Hi there Johan. This is Kieran from the Creative Assembly, the chaps behind Empire.

Forgive me if I cut to the chase, It's not particularly sporting (Or accurate) to suggest Empire 'has no AI'.

I appreciate I may have misread your remark, but I note several other readers have taken it the same way and in two subsequent posts you havn't bothered to correct them, so I can only assume it was your intention to take a swipe at Empire.

If I'm wrong, please do let me know. Otherwise meet me on Hang Man's Hill at midday, the weapon is swords.

Yours,
Kieran

johan posted:

Sorry.

Just was irritated after paying for the game at releasedate and basically winning every single battle first try.

Then having the AI being unable to build armies that were challenging (even if you had no clue about the gamemechanics, which the manual did not explain.)

Basically I was able to knock out denmark in 1 year as Sweden by just marching the troops i had at start to christiania and kobenhavn.

It felt like "build something random, and move armies randomly at weak positions". The AI in eu1 was a bigger challenge and that one could not handle more than 2 targets per country.

We've been slaughtered for bad ai in games as well, but I'd expect that if you got a budget over 1M USD you'd be able to have at least 1 guy at AI for a year :)

TW Rehab posted:

First, thanks for buying Empire.

Second, if I may, as we know the fans will have their say and are the last, and most critical line of judgement. Rightly so as they're our customers.

So, as a player, we appreciated your feedback and interest in Empire. :)

Hopefully you'll feel more challenged with the upcoming release of the new Multiplayer Campaign beta. I'm sure one of our many AI programmers would be up for a game if you're looking for opposition...

I don't think Johan ended up being more challenged by the Multiplayer Campaign beta, since it ended up being such a mess that they shelved it until the next TW game.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
This is juuuuuuust a teensy, eensy weensy bit :ironicat: considering the state of the Stellaris AI on release.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Mostly working and fairly smart with a few major bugs that have already been identified and are already on the way to being fixed? Like obviously there is room to complain but...I'd still compare it far more favorably than any CA AI release or final.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

This is juuuuuuust a teensy, eensy weensy bit :ironicat: considering the state of the Stellaris AI on release.

IIRC that was shortly before the release of HoI3 too, lol. That was the AI that stacked hundreds of divisions in the Channel Islands.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

DrSunshine posted:

Wiz is the greatest AI programmer of all time. This is only natural, because he ran good LPs. Those two traits go hand in hand.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Viral Warfare posted:

Wiz is the greatest AI programmer of all time. This is only natural, because he ran good LPs. Those two traits go hand in hand.
He was good to Iceland in his mod; so he's cool by me and if he's ever here I'd take him to the good places to go.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Very interesting to see Tencent has bought 5% of the Paradox IPO.

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/paradox-interactive-listing-attracts-tencent-as-fan-and-long-term-investor/

Three Kingdoms CK spin-off confirmed!

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

V for Vegas posted:

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/paradox-interactive-listing-attracts-tencent-as-fan-and-long-term-investor/

Does this mean our pops will compete to improve their Social Credit scores? Finally.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

Unironically would play the hell out of it. Or hell, even earlier; let's take this poo poo back to Shang.

Or a warlords-era China simulator, but that would probably not fly, even that early.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

V for Vegas posted:

A valuation of €375 mil for Paradox.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking forward to CK3 where you only get to play William's invasion of England and any other scenario is DLC and also there's only one unit type unless you buy archers and horses etc for $5 each

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Looking forward to CK3 where you only get to play William's invasion of England and any other scenario is DLC and also there's only one unit type unless you buy archers and horses etc for $5 each

unlike the current model where you have to buy the ability to be pagan

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

unlike the current model where you have to buy the ability to be pagan

Uhhh well it's actually good that you pay $80 for what would have been a $20 expansion 3 years ago, or a launch feature 5 years ago.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GaussianCopula posted:

A valuation of €375 mil for Paradox.

That seems... high? If you're looking at valuation around 5x - 10x revenue, that would give Paradox a revenue stream of around 40m - 80m p.a. I don't think they make that much.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

V for Vegas posted:

That seems... high? If you're looking at valuation around 5x - 10x revenue, that would give Paradox a revenue stream of around 40m - 80m p.a. I don't think they make that much.

Valuations depend more on growth projections than what most people would think. Investors are looking at the revenue timeline from the last couple years and licking their chops--in the era of 2013-15 paradox sales have been through the roof compared to any time previously from what little data I have picked up. This is ostensibly an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a publisher that is crossing over from niche to mainstream and that's where the real money starts rolling in, either way "valuation at 5x-10x revenue" is not really a useful metric of valuation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sharzak posted:

Valuations depend more on growth projections than what most people would think. Investors are looking at the revenue timeline from the last couple years and licking their chops--in the era of 2013-15 paradox sales have been through the roof compared to any time previously from what little data I have picked up. This is ostensibly an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a publisher that is crossing over from niche to mainstream and that's where the real money starts rolling in, either way "valuation at 5x-10x revenue" is not really a useful metric of valuation