Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

teagone posted:

Just look up the career profile of the players you think did bad on your team post-game to confirm your ESPORTS analysis.

I have to be in the minority in thinking the entire concept of "E-sports" is stupid, I also don't understand the appeal of streaming so maybe I'm just old but I would be happy to never see a "pro" aspect to this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I am loving terrible at this game and I regret buying it

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
All the streamers I've found are killing it with the offensive heroes. Does anyone stream support or tanks? I want to see a Zarya or Zenyatta tearing it up.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Spiros posted:

Tbh its enough that I can badger my hyper-competitive cs friends into admitting that it was I, spiros, who got the golds in damage and eliminations

The skills do crossover from CS to OW but you CANT solo a team in OW in the same way you can in CS. The aiming and knowing how to move all transfer but the game play is different enough that a really good CS player wont automatically be a good OW player.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Any else having issues getting the in game voice chat to work? I can neither talk nor hear anyone even after fiddling with all of the settings for a while this morning. I've googled around to no avail as well. And yes, I made sure the settings in the social menu were correct also.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Aranan posted:

All the streamers I've found are killing it with the offensive heroes. Does anyone stream support or tanks? I want to see a Zarya or Zenyatta tearing it up.

Moonmoon streams Roadhog. https://www.twitch.tv/moonmoon_ow

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Yaws posted:

dont worry about being god

just try to get some cool kills and have fun

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Szcwczuk posted:

I have to be in the minority in thinking the entire concept of "E-sports" is stupid, I also don't understand the appeal of streaming so maybe I'm just old but I would be happy to never see a "pro" aspect to this game.

Too late! OW is likely gonna be huge, and will probably get picked up by TBS network's ELeague for Season 2.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Awesome, thanks.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Szcwczuk posted:

The skills do crossover from CS to OW but you CANT solo a team in OW in the same way you can in CS. The aiming and knowing how to move all transfer but the game play is different enough that a really good CS player wont automatically be a good OW player.

My counterargument is this: a cs player will be able to McCree, Soldier 76, Widowmaker, and Hanzo very well because the skills are almost entirely transferable and those characters are all high impact and damage, making them able to deal with the various other differences more easily. The rest of the characters in the game don't translate nearly as well because they work dramatically differently than basic cs guy.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yaws posted:

If you keep playing, maybe you will get better

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I love this game and all I want to do is play torbjorn all the time, that little dude is everything I wanted tf2 offensive engineer to be and it's glorious

i'm probably actually best at Mercy though, and i have yet to find a more satisfying experience in this game than healing a team that has a really good junkrat or pharah, it's so drat good to just pingpong between them and the rest of the team on a payload or whatever and keep everyone alive

:allears:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Aranan posted:

I know a god tier Zarya but I'm not sure if he streams, I'll ask and let you know

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My Soldier 42069 is doing okay nowadays. I'm still a terrible shot but being able to engage people just right past midrange and get some supports/turrets makes up for how bad I get destroyed by any flanker. A class that I thought I'd get along with better but I actually can't do poo poo with it is Junkrat. I dunno if it's the lack of (constant) sticky bombs or that they are a skill or that it's harder to pipe people in the face. Also my wheels never get anyone while other Junkrats always blow me up and get perfect pipes across the corner.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Dias posted:

also it's a pain to type on latam servers because you have a bunch of spanish speakers that like to pretend portuguese is unreadable to them and will slur the gently caress out of you because latin america isn't hosed enough that people can't hate neighbouring countries, but if you do english you never know if people can understand you and if your attempt at calling out an ult push will result in sadness.

It goes both ways, lots of brazilian players raging at the first spanish word, but yeah, it sucks. I usually call things out by name and in the simplest way possible in english... "mercy/lucio?" "3 sniper attack bad" etc :v:

Veks fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 26, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dias posted:

also it's a pain to type on latam servers because you have a bunch of spanish speakers that like to pretend portuguese is unreadable to them and will slur the gently caress out of you because latin america isn't hosed enough that people can't hate neighbouring countries, but if you do english you never know if people can understand you and if your attempt at calling out an ult push will result in sadness.

Someone has to keep the lights on in dota 2.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Aranan posted:

Renbot streams Reinhardt, Pyyyour streams, uh well whatever he feels like but he mains support in comp and plays it often enough on his stream + answers questions.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Aranan posted:

Look, it's much cooler to be the Bastion who hoses down the entire enemy team and kills them, than being the Zarya who drops the ult who clusters them up for it, or the Mercy who keeps them alive when they're chained away, okay? :colbert:

So bored of Bastion PotG moments already.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Spiros posted:

Tbh its enough that I can badger my hyper-competitive cs friends into admitting that it was I, spiros, who got the golds in damage and eliminations

Yeah medals is the only stat I really need

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Shayed_ also streams support but her stream is more a place to hang out than actually learn from watching since she has a lot of bad habits from near-exclusively pocketing seagull

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Veks posted:

It goes both ways, lots of brazilian players raging at the first spanish word, but yeah, it sucks. I usually call things out by name in english... "mercy/lucio?" "3 sniper attack bad" etc :v:

yeah, people are dicks, but I'd bet that it's easier to get stuff across to most players in our native languages than it is in English sometimes, especially when it's a more complex message, like "I'm picking Zarya, please follow me, I'll shield someone and I need a healer so we can kill that torb/reinhardt/bastion/comp."

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yaws posted:

As far as I know you can ask for a refund of any Blizzard game within 30 days of having bought it. No limitations like having played at most 2 hours from Steam.

Dias posted:

My friends consider polite typing in English to be as neutral as possible. But yeah Brazilians get mad at Spanish and the rest of Latin America gets mad at Portuguese. Everybody loses.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 26, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Eonwe posted:

dont worry about being god

just try to get some cool kills and have fun

Do you think God hides in heaven because he too is afraid of an all winston team?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Elentor posted:

As far as I know you can ask for a refund of any Blizzard game within 30 days of having bought it. No limitations like having played at most 2 hours from Steam.

I had no idea. Thanks man! gently caress this game!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Sometimes I get frustrated at the lack of scoreboards but then I hit tab and see all the gold medals I have and I don't sweat it.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Ckwiesr posted:

Any else having issues getting the in game voice chat to work? I can neither talk nor hear anyone even after fiddling with all of the settings for a while this morning. I've googled around to no avail as well. And yes, I made sure the settings in the social menu were correct also.

You have to make sure to set your mic as the default device through Windows. Right click volume -> recording devices, and right click whichever is your mic and set it as default.

That was the only issue I had getting it working, since Overwatch only recognizes the default and Windows was defaulting to Stereo Mix.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Watching seagulls stream gives so much impressions that overwatch might really fit in an e-sport scene. I don't get some peoples denial. Or is this the fear that it will be "bad" for the game?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

And Renbot plays basically nothing but Rein from what I've seen:
https://www.twitch.tv/renbotow/

Mr.PayDay posted:

Watching seagulls stream gives so much impressions that overwatch might really fit in an e-sport scene. I don't get some peoples denial. Or is this the fear that it will be "bad" for the game?

He's streaming some sort of competitive play right now and it's very entertaining.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Dias posted:

That's pretty rude of them. While you're by no means fluent if you speak Spanish you can definitely understand Portuguese enough to garner intent.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JackDarko posted:

That's pretty rude of them. While you're by no means fluent if you speak Spanish you can definitely understand Portuguese enough to garner intent.

Brazilians do the same. The truth is that Latin Americans really, really don't want to play with Brazilians and vice-versa.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Papercut posted:

He's streaming some sort of competitive play right now and it's very entertaining.

Sick Genji plays, holy poo poo :dogbutton:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Papercut posted:

And Renbot plays basically nothing but Rein from what I've seen:
https://www.twitch.tv/renbotow/

pretty sure it's a scrim based on them using such unorthodox comps

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
After playing a bunch of all the characters, initially favoring soldier, reaper, reinhart and lucio, and finally groups starting to balance roles more so I can play what I want and not just always have to be reinhart to help tank, I've finally found what are my two favorite/best characters, not at all what I expected going in.

Roadhog and Widowmaker.

So. Much. Fun.

Roadhog once you really learn to nail the hook reliably, especially when you get the rhythm of hook-shoot or hook-melee-shoot, you're a beast. And you can constantly self-heal for a ton! Seems lots of people underestimate him.

Widowmaker I just avoided because its the sniper and most teams have had too many, but I'm pretty solid with a sniper rifle and nailing several headshots in a row feels so good. Just headshot a Lucio in mid-air, like a boss.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

Spiros posted:

Yeah, I've been able to do that in the past, but it'd be nice for the information to be cataloged so I can know more easily. Like if there was such a scoreboard you'd get an idea of where people should be in terms of damage healing etc at certain points in the game and it would also make it easier to tell if your opponents were good or your teammates bad imo but whatever, its blizzard, rip

What's the end goal, man?

I think it's to have fun, win or lose. I'm an average skill player and there are things I can and will be doing to improve at playing Overwatch (most importantly, learning to feel comfortable with all the heroes) but IMO the community taking a mindset towards this game that privileges categorizing people along a bell curve of skill distribution (a la Starcraft) and the 6 people on the same team getting ranked on kills/points etc will just end up creating toxicity and a competitive atmosphere people will find suffocating.

This toxic mindset ended up alienating a lot of people from Starcraft 2, which I played religiously from early 2011 till early this year. Any newcomer who just started would get derided as a "bronze scrub" and their mechanics and decision making would get highlighted as hilarious. In retrospect, Blizzard making the competitive aspect to the multiplayer side of SC2 as in your face as possible was a mistake. It fostered an elitist attitude in its community where all that mattered was the top 5% of skilled players. The gently caress do I care about this hierarchy if my skill ceiling is God or Plat? They ended up introducing "unranked mode" several years ago which still matched you against people of similar skill but the name given to the mode itself still indicated the privileging of the more competitive mode, as if to call you a pussy for choosing it.

Matching people based on MMR is fair and necessary, and those who are super-skilled and have the need for their skill to be recognized in-game should be accommodated somehow, but the game (all games really) shouldn't have features and designs that allow the highly skilled to endlessly preen at the expense of everyone else.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Jesus. The game has been out for 3 days and some of y'all are already trying to sort the goods from the bads.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Thanks for all the tank/support links, everyone.

Now I have to stop being an old fart and figure out twitch. I like youtube because I just click on a video and watch it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiros posted:

Yeah, I've been able to do that in the past, but it'd be nice for the information to be cataloged so I can know more easily. Like if there was such a scoreboard you'd get an idea of where people should be in terms of damage healing etc at certain points in the game and it would also make it easier to tell if your opponents were good or your teammates bad imo but whatever, its blizzard, rip

Honestly, what does it matter? Game is out for less than a week, everyone is pretty bad and without a clue. In ranked there'll be matchmaking, and in normal there's no difference if you win or lose other than a few XP points which is just for cosmetics.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

limited posted:

So bored of Bastion PotG moments already.

Bastion himself is pretty easy to deal with so I don't have a problem with the character (Widowmaker is way loving worse IMO) but they really do need to do something about POTG so easily going to Bastion. He gets it a lot and it gets boring when you know there were plenty of awesome plays that happened besides Bastion mowing down some people.

edit: Scoreboard is stupid and I hope Blizzard never adds it in

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Help Im Alive posted:

If you keep playing, maybe you will get better

I lost way more games today than I did last night :v:

Probably because the people I'm playing against aren't totally braindead now. I'm still having fun but sometimes it kind of feels hard to figure out what to do different. There's like, a billion different things that can go wrong and get you killed in this game.

Macaluso posted:

Bastion himself is pretty easy to deal with so I don't have a problem with the character (Widowmaker is way loving worse IMO) but they really do need to do something about POTG so easily going to Bastion. He gets it a lot and it gets boring when you know there were plenty of awesome plays that happened besides Bastion mowing down some people.

I think the POTG should almost always ignore ults unless something really special happens. Cause wow, yeah that guy pressed Q and got two kills, so amazing. It'd be more interesting to see pretty much anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

GlitchThief posted:

Jesus. The game has been out for 3 days and some of y'all are already trying to sort the goods from the bads.

That's something a bad would say