Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Bubba Smith posted:

hey look at this dumb retard who finally took a jiu jitsu class

maybe in 5-10 years I'll actually know what I'm talking about, but probably not

You should have said hi to me! I'm the one in the far bottom right corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Keg posted:

You should have said hi to me! I'm the one in the far bottom right corner.

Oh poo poo I didn't even know. I'll be there next Monday too. I just got back from the Wednesday 10:30 - 11:30 class.

My plan is basically to fight CM Punk by the end of the year since I am convinced I will be a better grappler than him by then.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Can I corner you? I will be like Thonglor and disappear for weeks at a time, then show up when I need to get paid

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Here are the two openings about the lockdown position:

Here's the funny inverted sorta-gogoplata type thing which I never expected to see in a judo manual.

http://imgur.com/a/1Kt9b album link

https://www.amazon.ca/DYNAMIC-JUDO-GRAPPLING-TECHNIQUES-Kazuzo-Kudo/dp/B0007IT54C

Which also contains this gem of a description of a crucifix strangle:

quote:

JIGOKU-JIME (hell strangle)
General gist
This technique frequently serves as a follow-up to the okuri-eri-jime. In it we control our opponent's arms and use one hand to strangle. The name evolves from the feeling of helplessness the victim of the hold has once he is trapped, a feeling comparable to that one might experience were he to fall into the sulphurous lower regions.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Bubba Smith posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't even know. I'll be there next Monday too. I just got back from the Wednesday 10:30 - 11:30 class.

My plan is basically to fight CM Punk by the end of the year since I am convinced I will be a better grappler than him by then.

I'm not sure if you're joking about the joke I made, but I want to make sure you don't talk to the actual guy in the bottom right corner as if it's somebody from the internet, and reveal that my joke was that I'm the grappling dummy in the bottom righthand corner of the photo

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Keg posted:

I'm not sure if you're joking about the joke I made, but I want to make sure you don't talk to the actual guy in the bottom right corner as if it's somebody from the internet, and reveal that my joke was that I'm the grappling dummy in the bottom righthand corner of the photo

oh I know, I just ran with it cause I couldn't think of anything else to post aside from the CM Punk thing. :hf:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Siivola posted:

I'm assuming Log's talking about stuff like HEMA longsword, which is fought with modern protective equipment (not medieval armour) and does allow thrusts. I think the reason people cut with the longsword is that the long hilt makes that easy and quick, and thrusts are fairly straightforward to beat aside with accurate cuts.

Yep. It only takes a pound of pressure to make an epee go off which is also about what it takes to pierce human flesh. If you aren't cutting through anything armored thrusting is always superior. I'm more moaning about stances where the point of the sword is facing the opponent.

If there is a better thread to talk about this I'll so gladly go there.

Goongrats to everyone starting BJJ! Best of luck to you!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Yep. It only takes a pound of pressure to make an epee go off which is also about what it takes to pierce human flesh. If you aren't cutting through anything armored thrusting is always superior. I'm more moaning about stances where the point of the sword is facing the opponent.

If there is a better thread to talk about this I'll so gladly go there.

Goongrats to everyone starting BJJ! Best of luck to you!

I think the only fencing thread we've had was in the temporary Olympics forum. You can start one in PSP if you'd like, although I think it might get more traffic in YLLS.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Just got back from a few classes with Odddzy, who's a super nice dude. Here's a round of us doing some no-gi sparring at wrestling class:

(Mechafunkzilla in blue/red, Odddzy in black/white)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WDnhspdYW4

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Had a lot of fun! Thanks again to Mechafunkzilla and sambo Steve for the classes. You're right about watching video of yourself roll, it makes you pick up on important stuff to work on, my posture is incredibly lovely. And my bald spot is getting worse!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Odddzy posted:

Had a lot of fun! Thanks again to Mechafunkzilla and sambo Steve for the classes. You're right about watching video of yourself roll, it makes you pick up on important stuff to work on, my posture is incredibly lovely. And my bald spot is getting worse!

your spats game is on point though

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

fatherdog posted:

I think the only fencing thread we've had was in the temporary Olympics forum. You can start one in PSP if you'd like, although I think it might get more traffic in YLLS.

I'll give it a few days and see if anyone more qualified than me wants to do it. I feel like there was a thread somewhere about fencing but I can't recall. Anyways, I know how to swordfight and have done a bunch of crazy full contact knife fighting stuff. Add that to my list of gooney goon things I have done.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
The traditional martial arts thread in ask and tell does fencing.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

There actually is a dedicated fencing thread in A/T, I just forget to plug it. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693186

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

It's probably the longest lasting fencing thread the boards have had. All because ICHIBAN, the guy who will copy/paste the same post across multiple threads, was complaining about too much fencing chat.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

your spats game is on point though

Now we all need to know what spats Odddzy was wearing!

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

1st AD posted:

I live in the North County and never found a decent gym, though I drop in at Black House from time to time and their BJJ is taught by Eduardo Guedes, a Mario Sperry black belt. It's all right but I usually end up doing muay thai when I'm there.

For North County, my main gym when I was in SD was Blackline in Carlsbad, since it was close to work, and I really liked it. We never had more than 5 people in the gi class but the professor and atmosphere were really good. Though it seems that since I left, my professor left and went to the Arena in Ocean Beach, so I can't vouch for the new guy.

http://www.blacklinemma.com/

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Neon Belly posted:

It's probably the longest lasting fencing thread the boards have had. All because ICHIBAN, the guy who will copy/paste the same post across multiple threads, was complaining about too much fencing chat.

The ones in the video Mechafunkzilla posted. :)

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Woops, somehow missed that. A+ spats with no shorts.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Just got back from a few classes with Odddzy, who's a super nice dude. Here's a round of us doing some no-gi sparring at wrestling class:

(Mechafunkzilla in blue/red, Odddzy in black/white)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WDnhspdYW4

Nice 2 on 1

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Neon Belly posted:

Two threads with very similar subjects thanks

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Neon Belly posted:

Stop bullying you thug

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Does anyone ever use an arm triangle from the bottom to sweep or should I just always go for an overhook before I think about sweeping.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nierbo posted:

Does anyone ever use an arm triangle from the bottom to sweep or should I just always go for an overhook before I think about sweeping.

Can't you finish an arm triangle from bottom?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Yeah but if i trap it i try and sweep right away so I can get some proper leverage. Just wondering if its actually worth going for consciously or if its one of those things that if it happens, it happens

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I've gotten them off lockdowns before, kinda posting under the armpits to hoist the top person into position. I sweep before trying to finish as well. It was part of our syllabus in class at some point. So legit enough in my experience.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Well I managed to only tap once to a blue belt in 7 minutes of sparring. Got swept about 10 times and spent half the time stuck in side control: but I managed to stop him getting anything more than an armlock. Progress! Now if only I could start doing the sweeping.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Has anybody watched Ryan Hall's DVDs? I'm looking at the guard passing one but the price tag is pretty steep.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

They are excellent overall but the guard passing one didn't really impress me.

My favourite ones are arm triangles, the open elbow, deep half guard, and back attacks.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Watched them all, they're brilliant.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Keg posted:

Has anybody watched Ryan Hall's DVDs? I'm looking at the guard passing one but the price tag is pretty steep.

I own deep half and back attacks, they're some of the best dvds I own, although the rolling back attacks presented are arguably a few years behind the cutting edge of the metagame now. It's not gonna matter if you're not rolling with Rafa Mendes though.

Nierbo posted:

IMO the shucking back take is usually the stronger option, with the rollover sweep the back it up as a compliment.

awkward_turtle fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 27, 2016

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Babalu Sobral still waiting to get paid by Metamoris

I wonder if those guys who signed exclusive contracts are getting paid.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Neither Babalu or Chael should get paid for that

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Is Metamoris understood to be a joke now?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I rolled for the first time tonight with a blue belt, I think I pulled a rib muscle. At least I recovered half guard once from full mount so progress?

holy poo poo how does anybody do this regularly

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Neon Belly posted:

Is Metamoris understood to be a joke now?

Pretty much anything Rorian's kids are involved with is understood to be a joke now

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Bubba Smith posted:

As you get better you'll get hurt less often... or you'll become immune to the pain, I'm not sure

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Stretch after every class.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Bubba Smith posted:

I rolled for the first time tonight with a blue belt, I think I pulled a rib muscle. At least I recovered half guard once from full mount so progress?

Stretch like, all the time.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Bubba Smith posted:

I don't know you and have never seen you roll, but stop spazzing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Been doing Jiu Jitsu for around 5 months now, missed 3 weeks due to a surgery. I'm older, 36 never done any martial arts before. I lift weights and am pretty fit (so I thought...) I started this due to my son's interest, figured I would give it a try with him. He is 13 and big and athletic, played sports his whole life, now we focus on Rugby and I guess Jiu Jitsu. We have been having a good time learning the basics.

This is pretty fun stuff! I am constantly worried about getting injured but so far so good. I think I lucked out and just happend to live close to a good academy. Really like the instructor, he trained under Rickson Gracie black belts and is now under Robert Drysdale, who I guess he is a pretty big name in Jiu Jitsu.

This weekend Drysdale was at our academy for a seminar, I missed it but did get to meet him. Instructor got promoted to blackbelt and we had two blue belt promotions. So today my instructor asked everyone to show up to advanced class, that he had a surprise....

We did a "shark tank" with the two new blue belts for 60 min! We rotated in every 2 - 3 minutes, it was brutal. I have just started rolling as the academy asked / requires new folks to take 2 - 3 months of intro classes so, I think, we do not hurt our selves or others. This has worked great for me despite wanting to roll right away. But I was not really expecting to roll for the whole class tonight

I rolled like 6 or 7 rounds tonight with the blues and I feel destroyed. I can't imagine how they feel... non-stop. Instructor said "I don't give away blue belts, you have to earn them, and now you have" I kind of like the old school attitude . It's nothing over the top, feels genuine, and is all done with a bit of fun.

All and all it was great fun, good spirits and I think this jiu jitsu stuff is a little crazy but I quite like it. I guess that is my "I started Jiu Jitsu and it's awesome" post, looking forward to next class!

P.S. I might have to call into work tomorrow, the adrenaline has worn off and everything hurts.