Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

But the latest time the child was also around a man who had been around a bunch of cosmic cubes and has the brain of one of the most powerful telepaths

No. They were talking about Franklin, not Kobik. Unless Pleasant Hill tore the world literally apart in panels I somehow missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
So why are they taking an anti-Nazi character made by Jewish creators and turning him into a Nazi again? Did they think everyone would be so offended that they'd buy the comic?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

No. They were talking about Franklin, not Kobik. Unless Pleasant Hill tore the world literally apart in panels I somehow missed?

Yeah I was going at the big difference between the two reality changing child's. One did not have a hind controlling nazi near them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Why is everyone trying to turn this into some kind of moral issue people should be offended by.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh no, Spider-man is doing crime! But he hates crime! What is going on? This is offensive to Stan Lee and Steve Ditko because they are non-criminal Americans.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Besides the mentioned flashbacks only containing red and the woman, wearing red, being named Sinclair and seemingly knowing way too much about Steve's mother and him there's also other clues in this issue and in the issue where Steve is restored by Kobik. This issue has a lot a characters talking about things in their past that have changed, even bringing up Cap-Wolf, Armored Cap, and The Hotline. The narration also talks a lot about how one person can change everything. In the issue where Kobik restores Steve we seem him trying to find Kobik in Pleasant Hill. A priest takes him to Selvig, the handler and trainer of Kobik. Selvig tells Steve that Kobik, while sentient, can be guided and instructed. Selvig then tells Steve where to find Kobik. Once Steve leaves the priest reveals himself to be Red Skull and says everything is going perfectly to his plan and that he needs Steve to be there alive for his greatest triumph. Selvig is also the only one present when Steve reveals he's Hydra in this issue.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Oh no, Spider-man is doing crime! But he hates crime! What is going on? This is offensive to Stan Lee and Steve Ditko because they are non-criminal Americans.

So if they retconned it so that Sam Wilson was actually a member of the Sons of the Serpent, a group that's literally meant to be a superpowered KKK, that'd be totally OK because it's CLEARLY not going to last?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gaz-L posted:

So if they retconned it so that Sam Wilson was actually a member of the Sons of the Serpent, a group that's literally meant to be a superpowered KKK, that'd be totally OK because it's CLEARLY not going to last?

Depends on the story written, and considering in his solo Sam was working with a former Serpent member to take down the Serpent Society you're not really that far off anyways.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

It would be kinda stupid, just like how this storyline is kinda stupid, but yes it wouldn't be "offensive" or disrespectful to Falcon's creators or whatever horseshit people want to throw around. Falcon is a particularly bad example because he was already retconned into being an evil pimp for a while, which was rapidly undone, because it was really stupid.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Sam's new series has him suddenly hating birds. The book will follow his Wild E Coyote-esque attempts to catch and kill Redwing.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Lurdiak posted:

Why is everyone trying to turn this into some kind of moral issue people should be offended by.

I'm more offended because it feels like a lazy story-line hook and an obvious attempt to get more readers and attention because of "shock value." Judging by people's responses on social media and the like, people are upset because this feels "out of line" for the character who was essentially Marvel's Boy Scout, who stood for justice, truth, and nobility. Out of any other character in the MCCU, Steve seemed the most incorruptible.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Wait, a comic book story that changes a character fundamentally in an attempt to generate shock and buzz? A change that is obviously stemming from normal comic book fuckery with some sort of comic book timetravel/mind control/alternate universe fuckery? A change that will obviously only last a year or two and then obviously revert back to the status quo at the end?

This is new and exciting. I am outraged that this comic is doing the exact same thing comics have done since long before I was even born.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Totbot posted:

Wait, a comic book story that changes a character fundamentally in an attempt to generate shock and buzz? A change that is obviously stemming from normal comic book fuckery with some sort of comic book timetravel/mind control/alternate universe fuckery? A change that will obviously only last a year or two and then obviously revert back to the status quo at the end?

This is new and exciting. I am outraged that this comic is doing the exact same thing comics have done since long before I was even born.

No poo poo, sherlock. It's just getting tired at this point, and it's the reason I haven't picked up a Marvel comic in years. Just because it's been done before doesn't mean it isn't lazy writing

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

Jonny_Rocket posted:

No poo poo, sherlock. It's just getting tired at this point, and it's the reason I haven't picked up a Marvel comic in years. Just because it's been done before doesn't mean it isn't lazy writing

Some of the outrage I've read has gone a little past "getting tired" of comic book writing being comic book writing.

This is so par for the course I find it hard to imagine anyone actually being mad at it. Tired? sure, why not. Actually mad and ranting? Yeah, going to laugh at people for that.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
100% of the actual outrage I have seen (as opposed to just like, eyerolling) has been from people who like comics in a general sense but don't read them, certainly have not read Pleasant Hill or any recent Cap stuff, and who assume that this is a real forever change to the status quo. Most of them assume that it is politically motivated on the part of Nick Spencer, who is a liberal so of course he thinks Amerikkka is a white devil who needs to be shown as evil.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

100% of the actual outrage I have seen (as opposed to just like, eyerolling) has been from people who like comics in a general sense but don't read them, certainly have not read Pleasant Hill or any recent Cap stuff, and who assume that this is a real forever change to the status quo.

Exactly - that seems to be the impression I'm getting as well from the social media posts I've read. People who aren't familiar with how comics have pulled this poo poo before and revert back to status quo are probably thinking this is a permanent change (which, let's be honest, it most likely won't be).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

It would be kinda stupid, just like how this storyline is kinda stupid, but yes it wouldn't be "offensive" or disrespectful to Falcon's creators or whatever horseshit people want to throw around. Falcon is a particularly bad example because he was already retconned into being an evil pimp for a while, which was rapidly undone, because it was really stupid.

When did you become the arbiter of offensiveness? I must have missed the memo.

Also yeah that Falcon story was pretty offensive.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

100% of the actual outrage I have seen (as opposed to just like, eyerolling) has been from people who like comics in a general sense but don't read them, certainly have not read Pleasant Hill or any recent Cap stuff, and who assume that this is a real forever change to the status quo. Most of them assume that it is politically motivated on the part of Nick Spencer, who is a liberal so of course he thinks Amerikkka is a white devil who needs to be shown as evil.

Nick Spencer's a liberal like I'm an objectivist.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Exactly - that seems to be the impression I'm getting as well from the social media posts I've read. People who aren't familiar with how comics have pulled this poo poo before and revert back to status quo are probably thinking this is a permanent change (which, let's be honest, it most likely won't be).

In their defense, One More Day is still in effect as the status quo after almost a decade.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd rather talk about how amazing Mockingbird continues to be, how hilarious Squirrel Girl remains and how adorable Hellcat is.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'd rather talk about... SKYSHARK!!

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
SKYSHARK is the best. :3: That issue was great, I loved all the background science fair projects in that issue. "YOU ALL SICKEN ME (and here's why)"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

JoshTheStampede posted:

100% of the actual outrage I have seen (as opposed to just like, eyerolling) has been from people who like comics in a general sense but don't read them, certainly have not read Pleasant Hill or any recent Cap stuff, and who assume that this is a real forever change to the status quo.

I do think it was dumb of them to embark upon this straightaway, since most of the lead-up to the Red Skull plot has been in books that don't say Captain America on the cover.

I was working on an outline for an article about it and most of it's in Uncanny Avengers.

Circutron posted:

SKYSHARK is the best. :3: That issue was great, I loved all the background science fair projects in that issue. "YOU ALL SICKEN ME (and here's why)"

Let me tell you about my pitch for an issue where Skyshark and Champagne Robot solve a Mystery or perhaps a Crime

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Wanderer posted:

I do think it was dumb of them to embark upon this straightaway, since most of the lead-up to the Red Skull plot has been in books that don't say Captain America on the cover.

I was working on an outline for an article about it and most of it's in Uncanny Avengers.

Yeah, I had been reading New Avengers, Cap: Sam, and Assault on Pleasant Hill and had very little idea about the Red Skull being active apart from a couple of sitting in the shadows style panels.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Soonmot posted:

I'd rather talk about... SKYSHARK!!

He's the happiest Shark!

The panel with Ms Marvel, Nova and Spider-Man looking at each other was fantastic. Though I'm a bit confused on how Kamala and MIles didn't know each other, becuase we know that she showed up at Miles's house last month. I guess we can just say that Ms Marvel takes place before that. Which would explain why Goldballs wasn't with the Brooklyn team.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

twistedmentat posted:

The panel with Ms Marvel, Nova and Spider-Man looking at each other was fantastic. Though I'm a bit confused on how Kamala and MIles didn't know each other, becuase we know that she showed up at Miles's house last month. I guess we can just say that Ms Marvel takes place before that. Which would explain why Goldballs wasn't with the Brooklyn team.

There's a specific line Kamala says in that issue of Miles's book: she knows who he is, but won't tell him who she is. That gets thrown out the window after what future historians will call the Science Fair Incident.

Or the debut of SKYSHARK, America's greatest hero.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wanderer posted:

There's a specific line Kamala says in that issue of Miles's book: she knows who he is, but won't tell him who she is. That gets thrown out the window after what future historians will call the Science Fair Incident.

SKYSHARK will make America great again.

I liked how in this issue it was mostly "Kamala on a normal day" story, which is basically what Squirrel Girl did too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wanderer posted:

Which also fits in with how she found out who Sam is.

Though later issues of Avengers sorta imply the whole team know each other's identities barring most of the team not knowing Thor's.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ms. Marvel was so, so great. SKYSHARK was the best, and those fuckers down in loving Connecticut refused to see it. Also this week's Hellcat was super, duper bad. Like really bad. I guess Ms. Marvel/USG sucked up all the amazing and Hellcat had to be dumb and boring and weirdly convoluted.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Ms. Marvel was so, so great. SKYSHARK was the best, and those fuckers down in loving Connecticut refused to see it. Also this week's Hellcat was super, duper bad. Like really bad. I guess Ms. Marvel/USG sucked up all the amazing and Hellcat had to be dumb and boring and weirdly convoluted.

Did Connecticut get dumped on in another comic too? Deadpool had some choice words in Uncanny Avengers.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BD9nD1yrDdE/
(I can't see how to embed an Instagram picture on the forums.)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dumping on Connecticut is right and proper. The only purpose Connecticut serves is keeping Rhode Island from touching anything important.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Squizzle posted:

Dumping on Connecticut is right and proper. The only purpose Connecticut serves is keeping Rhode Island from touching anything important.

As someone who was born in Connecticut, I agree with this wholeheartedly. Connecticut, as a whole, is pretty lame.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I live in CT as well, and I loved the sequence. Finally got around to screencapping the whole sequence from that comic. Uncanny Avengers #7:

...a few pages later...

And in issue 8, when he gets mind controlled:

IUG fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 26, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

IUG posted:

I live in CT as well, and I loved the sequence. Finally got around to screencapping the whole sequence from that comic. Uncanny Avengers #7:

...a few pages later...

And in issue 8, when he gets mind controlled:

haha wtf is this book and why aren't I reading it??

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Finster Dexter posted:

haha wtf is this book and why aren't I reading it??

It's about the Avengers "Unity squad", consisting of mutants and humans fighting crime together in harmony and also Deadpool.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

JoshTheStampede posted:

It's about the Avengers "Unity squad", consisting of mutants and humans fighting crime together in harmony and also Deadpool.

And Cable trying to stop Steve Rogers from sabotaging all that, presumably.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'm from the future and I always knew you were a secret Nazi Steve.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Someone give me money to start up the restaurants House of Mmm! and Gyros Reborn.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Mockingbird is my favorite leading lady by a mile. Captain Marvel is enjoyable, but Ms. Marvel, Thor and Squirrel Girl have lost a step. Hellcat is dumb fun, but dumb. Moon Girl got dropped because it went nowhere, i don't care for Wolverine and Black Widow hasn't grabbed me yet either. Silk, Spider-Woman and Spider-Gwen were the first to go.

Nighthawk reminded me of the old Milestone Comics from the 90s but not in a good way. It's a shame because I really enjoy Power Man and Iron Fist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Codependent Poster posted:

Someone give me money to start up the restaurants House of Mmm! and Gyros Reborn.

At very least, these have to show up in the background of a splash page of Ms Marvel, now.
e: Or are they actually from there? poo poo, there's just so much to look at in that comic.

• Locked thread