Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
:lol: Caving with Toady should be a Patreon goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Helical Nightmares posted:

:lol: Caving with Toady should be a Patreon goal.

He gave everyone that attended a piece of microcline

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I've already checked the wiki but I'm not 100% sure on how this works: I want to build a well-trafficked centralized area (dorm or intersection or meeting area or whatever, immaterial to the question) that lets in sunlight. Is there currently a way to do this that's also immune to building destroyers? I always try to come up with ways to do stuff without looking up any answers (which tends to be a terrible idea for this game) and my approach when I played DF years ago was to build a glass block floor above the main well. But a while ago I read that all constructed floors, regardless of material, act as though they're transparent anyway, so my bothering with glass flooring was apparently pointless.

Is that still true, that any constructed floors let in sunlight in a way that prevents cave adaptation? Am I correct that I can't just build grates, since building destroyers can wreck those? Is there any obvious and more logical way to make my drunk slobs wander through sunlight occasionally without actually going outside?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Capntastic posted:

THIS is awesome

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Capntastic posted:

Microcline is by far my favorite rock in DF. Was it the light blue kind, which seems to be called amazonite?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Wolfsbane posted:

I wonder what will happen the day Toady discovers lint.

Lint is small potatoes compared to a static analyzer, so nothing much?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

anime tupac posted:

I've already checked the wiki but I'm not 100% sure on how this works: I want to build a well-trafficked centralized area (dorm or intersection or meeting area or whatever, immaterial to the question) that lets in sunlight. Is there currently a way to do this that's also immune to building destroyers? I always try to come up with ways to do stuff without looking up any answers (which tends to be a terrible idea for this game) and my approach when I played DF years ago was to build a glass block floor above the main well. But a while ago I read that all constructed floors, regardless of material, act as though they're transparent anyway, so my bothering with glass flooring was apparently pointless.

Is that still true, that any constructed floors let in sunlight in a way that prevents cave adaptation? Am I correct that I can't just build grates, since building destroyers can wreck those? Is there any obvious and more logical way to make my drunk slobs wander through sunlight occasionally without actually going outside?

Once a tile gets exposed to the outside, it will forever be light and above ground in the tile calculation. To be light, the tile above it needs to be light and above ground, and so on. It can't return to Dark Subterranean. It will be indoors if you tile above it with a floor, or a hatch, or a staircase, or a floor grate, or floor bars. You can't fight cave adaptation unless a dwarf goes to where it's considered "outdoors". But a dwarf would need to stay inside for 1-1.5 years to start to feel the signs of cave adaptation. Indoor 'light' tiles will not help or hinder cave adaptation. It won't touch anything at all. You can put a dwarf outdoors for 9 weeks straight to cure them if they are fully adapted.

You need vertical access to the sun directly to help against cave adaptation. The tile needs to be considered 'Outdoors'.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

What does a good temple look like. Please dump your creative juices all over my eyes, please

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

moller posted:

Microcline is by far my favorite rock in DF. Was it the light blue kind, which seems to be called amazonite?

It was the shame shade as it appears in the game.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
A shameful geolith

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Capntastic posted:

I helped with the DF podcast

Which, by the way, I need more episodes of. :colbert:

Yes, I know there's been scheduling/topic/etc. issues. I just enjoyed the show. :(

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Alehkhs posted:

Which, by the way, I need more episodes of. :colbert:

Yes, I know there's been scheduling/topic/etc. issues. I just enjoyed the show. :(

We will be doing some sort of DF Talk bit at the Dwarfmoot event.

PM me questions to ask Toady, by the way.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Capntastic posted:

We will be doing some sort of DF Talk bit at the Dwarfmoot event.

PM me questions to ask Toady, by the way.

Please, please make sure it's recorded and uploaded to the DF page. :pray:

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Alehkhs posted:

Please, please make sure it's recorded and uploaded to the DF page. :pray:

I have been told the venue will record and upload the stuff

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

FutonForensic posted:

What does a good temple look like. Please dump your creative juices all over my eyes, please

The current DF LP thread had its first overseer actually design some pretty smart layout poo poo. I'd recommend checking it out. I stole a bunch of the design stuff for my own fortresses.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I played with a tavern for the first time recently. It felt redundant with my grand dining room that I've always made. Is there any drawbacks to no longer making a dining room for the fortress and instead going with a tavern?

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Depends what kind of symbols and values are used in the religion. Wealth and craftsmanship? Big ol' princess cut diamond shape. Death and happiness? Laughing skull.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

quote:

Deep Sea Explorers Discover A Sponge The Size Of A Minivan
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/05/26/479621399/deep-sea-explorers-discover-a-sponge-the-size-of-a-minivan

The deep-sea researchers were surveying an ocean ridge off the coast of Hawaii in 2015 and amid ordinary ocean floor fare — a bit of coral, some volcanic rock — they came across something surprising.

"Where did this guy come from? Holy cow!" one researcher said to his colleague.

During the moment caught on camera, the brain-like curves of a sponge about the size of a minivan came into view. As one of the scientists exclaimed in the video, "This is the largest thing I've seen underwater."

Oh god it's happening! Soon everyone in hawaii will be stuck on the ocean floor endlessly pummeling this thing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Spanish Matlock posted:

As one of the scientists exclaimed in the video, "I've never seen a whale."

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I dunno if anyone else is actually touching these builds but in any case DFHack compiled for the newest version and seems to work fine

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I haven't had much time to play recently but yes, I've used your compiles in the past and appreciate the effort you put in.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I use your compile. The most useful plugin for my gameplay is autolabor. I hate manually setting labors.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I'm trying to but Therapist isn't making it easy.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Met posted:

I'm trying to but Therapist isn't making it easy.

Even this one?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Perfect! Tried to install and add the memory layouts myself and the program would crash when I clicked on specific Dwarves.

Thank you.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Playing my first game with the most recent version of LNP after having been away from DF for a few versions. Two years into a fortress now when I noticed something... I haven't been getting outpost liaisons, and the game always says that his absence is curious. I booted up the legends viewer and sure enough, my civilization has been on the cusp of extinction for like 170 years after losing a war to goblins in the year 79. My fortress (53 dwarves) is now the largest settlement of my civilization... the only other one is a camp with 33 dwarves in it on the complete opposite side of the world, where the king (who grew up in a dwarf fortress that had been under the oppressive yoke of the goblins for a century) resides along with all the nobles.

Kinda neat, as I'm now the last real bastion of my civilization.

Also I have no military so :downsgun:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Drone posted:

Playing my first game with the most recent version of LNP after having been away from DF for a few versions. Two years into a fortress now when I noticed something... I haven't been getting outpost liaisons, and the game always says that his absence is curious. I booted up the legends viewer and sure enough, my civilization has been on the cusp of extinction for like 170 years after losing a war to goblins in the year 79. My fortress (53 dwarves) is now the largest settlement of my civilization... the only other one is a camp with 33 dwarves in it on the complete opposite side of the world, where the king (who grew up in a dwarf fortress that had been under the oppressive yoke of the goblins for a century) resides along with all the nobles.

Kinda neat, as I'm now the last real bastion of my civilization.

Also I have no military so :downsgun:

Well, now your goal is to either:
A) Rebuild civilization with a series of fortresses, each one with a sizable military, or:
B) Make a series of circuses throughout the world and bring it to its inevitable clown-filled end

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Are people on the official forums still afraid of spoiling that there's demons and adamantine deep down and calling it poo poo like clowns and candy?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Met posted:

Are people on the official forums still afraid of spoiling that there's demons and adamantine deep down and calling it poo poo like clowns and candy?

Last I checked, yes.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

they might be in the general discussion & other non-modder regions, but I don't dare tread there

one look at their local E/N was enough

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Unfortunately the dfhack for 43.03 crashes once you resume the game from paused.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Weird. I'm getting it too, but Arena and Adventure mode don't seem to be affected.

e: Tried another site, not crashing this time. What's the catch?

scamtank fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 28, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

neogeo0823 posted:

The current DF LP thread had its first overseer actually design some pretty smart layout poo poo. I'd recommend checking it out. I stole a bunch of the design stuff for my own fortresses.

Where IS the current LP, I searched the first couple of pages of the LP subforum, and there isn't any obvious match?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

scamtank posted:

one look at their local E/N was enough

lol that this exists

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

steinrokkan posted:

Where IS the current LP, I searched the first couple of pages of the LP subforum, and there isn't any obvious match?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774792

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Okay, I uprooted everything that wasn't a keybind from dfhack.init's autoexec series and the crashing halted, then I put everything back and it started crashing again and goto 1 with. One of the tweaks or tiny UI plugins is probably at fault.

e: Hey iamtherad try commenting out tweak craft-age-wear in your dfhack.init and start a fort, is it still blowing up on the launchpad?

scamtank fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 29, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

scamtank posted:

Okay, I uprooted everything that wasn't a keybind from dfhack.init's autoexec series and the crashing halted, then I put everything back and it started crashing again and goto 1 with. One of the tweaks or tiny UI plugins is probably at fault.

e: Hey iamtherad try commenting out tweak craft-age-wear in your dfhack.init and start a fort, is it still blowing up on the launchpad?

Commenting it out stopped the crashing. Unfortunately it still crashes later on.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 29, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So two years ago I had a werelizard attack my fortress. He killed one of the two visiting Elven merchants, and the other one started fleeing around my fortress while my military killed the werelizard. The elf hasn't moved from his spot since then, refusing to leave my fortress (which is annoying, since I can't get anymore elven caravans so long as he's here). Is there a good way to make him sod off, or do I have to kill him (which doesn't really solve my caravan problem)?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Are digging invaders a new thing? I shut out a siege army but the fuckers just dug in through the dirt floors of my farming district. Can I turn that off?

e: A giantess just turned up out of nowhere and is wrecking the goblin siege. Love this game.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Shibawanko posted:

Are digging invaders a new thing? I shut out a siege army but the fuckers just dug in through the dirt floors of my farming district. Can I turn that off?

Are you sure that's what happened?