Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I say just let Saban take another crack at it(heck Dino Charge has been fairly decent), hell if the new Power Rangers movie does well it's pretty likely that there will be an attempt to bring over more Toku stuff here to the states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

Yeah I'm kinda sick of dudes being driven by guilt, it's part of why I tapped out of comics when I did

Gimme some dude who just wants to be friends with everyone so he kicks their problems in the face all day

Well the original Riders were called the Crying Heroes for a reason. That was something that got lost over time, but all of the original Riders up to a certain point were defined by their Loss and Sorrow.

Hongo and Ichimonji both lost their humanity, V3 his family, Rider-Man his arm and friends, X just lost every loving thing, Amazon his home, Stronger his best friend and eventually Tackle herself (who, herself, lost her brother),

So on so forth.

A good happy go lucky Rider to adapt would likely be Kuuga for his undying optimism, or else you would want to just make a new Rider vaguely based on one of the Post Decade guys because almost none of them would work as a literal translation.

Wizard's belt goes too far in being a hand, Fourze's general design would never fly without the building up of a franchise and his general thing is very far removed from what Kamen Rider tends to be- Fourze would make a great kids show though-, Drive might work but they'd want to play up the cop angle way more and remove the tire from his design-

That kind of thing.

Like, in a perfect world, THE Kamen Rider series to make, that's based on a Post Decade Rider?

Kamen Rider Skull.

Just think about that. An entire series of Detective Skull fighting drug kingpins and murderous super powered individuals while cracking the case.

Then you could start introducing the more out there concepts and ideas and easing the audience into them.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Perfect, we'll make a whole new generation think that it's okay to wear a fedora and not be a film noir detective parody.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

That's why you'd have to remake it, and sand down the toyetic aspects. A lot of the seasons of Kamen Rider have really strong stories and characters that would be great in an adult TV show.

I don't think W would actually work that well because if you take away the Gaia Memories, the form changes, and the monsters of the fortnight, get down to just the skeleton of character and plot, there's not a lot left. It's good stuff, but it's good stuff to hang a fun monster of the week kids show over. one of the earlier Heisei shows would be better, or maybe Gaim, because they've got more going on.

When you put it like that it could work. Except that when you "sand down the toyetic aspects" and "monsters of the fortnight" all you have is a generic superhero and a few bad guys. Could it work? Obviously, but only because its so drat vague. In that sense you might as well say that pretty much anything from Japanese kids shows could work. Pokemon could totally work guys, just make them adults and have Team Rocket be more menacing! Hamtaro could totally work guys, look how well The Smurfs has done!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

Perfect, we'll make a whole new generation think that it's okay to wear a fedora and not be a film noir detective parody.

Hey, I would rather we just do a remake of The First that doesn't suck.

Evil secret organization turning people into cyborg slaves, main character is one of those freed from their control and fighting back?

poo poo writes itself.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

Well the original Riders were called the Crying Heroes for a reason. That was something that got lost over time, but all of the original Riders up to a certain point were defined by their Loss and Sorrow.

Hongo and Ichimonji both lost their humanity, V3 his family, Rider-Man his arm and friends, X just lost every loving thing, Amazon his home, Stronger his best friend and eventually Tackle herself (who, herself, lost her brother),

So on so forth.

A good happy go lucky Rider to adapt would likely be Kuuga for his undying optimism, or else you would want to just make a new Rider vaguely based on one of the Post Decade guys because almost none of them would work as a literal translation.

Wizard's belt goes too far in being a hand, Fourze's general design would never fly without the building up of a franchise and his general thing is very far removed from what Kamen Rider tends to be- Fourze would make a great kids show though-, Drive might work but they'd want to play up the cop angle way more and remove the tire from his design-

That kind of thing.

Like, in a perfect world, THE Kamen Rider series to make, that's based on a Post Decade Rider?

Kamen Rider Skull.

Just think about that. An entire series of Detective Skull fighting drug kingpins and murderous super powered individuals while cracking the case.

Then you could start introducing the more out there concepts and ideas and easing the audience into them.

aren't you the dude railing aganst the new power rangers movie? this is the exact same thing, it's awful.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
More superhero shows need to be about being a hero because it's right and not because you feel bad about a thing, namaste bitches

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

More superhero shows need to be about being a hero because it's right and not because you feel bad about a thing, namaste bitches

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Elfgames posted:

aren't you the dude railing aganst the new power rangers movie? this is the exact same thing, it's awful.

I have not said a word about the content of that movie because I don't know a drat thing about its plot unless some stupid script that leaked like, years earlier was accurate, at which point it's just dumb for being dumb.

I have said that the suit design looks awful which it does.

Also Kamen Rider has always been more older audience friendly than Power Rangers, and trying to make a Kamen Rider series for an older audience is not only possible, but also a fact of the franchise. Both in the past, and right the gently caress now with Amazons, Kamen Rider HAS ventured beyond just being a kids show.

The core story of the original Rider, and most of Showa Rider, is a lot more mature than Super Sentai tends to run for a number of reasons. Shin is the first truly made for Adults attempt, ZO wasn't really aimed at kids either. J was though.

Then the First and the Next were made for older audiences, which you'll notice is what I really endorse a CW remake series to be like, even if they were poo poo.

Finally Amazons.

That's just the inarguable stuff. You can talk about Kuuga and the other Pre Decade series and how they could or could not qualify or whatever but that's just semantics.

I brought up the idea of a Kamen Rider Skull JUST because that would be the best option for a Post Decade Remake that is the very first one.

The best one to do would just be a remake of the original series like the First, but not poo poo, like the First.

Or just bring over Amazons.

Then let's adapt Stronger! Or just skip to Ichimonji, who was all about being a hero because he was a hero. He hated what was done to him, but he also introduced a lot of the sillier aspects of Kamen Rider and was intentionally made to be brighter and more over the top than Hongo.

Which is a very large reason why Kamen Rider the First and the Next suck but you know we're not going there right now.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 27, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Elfgames posted:

Not really? "Fighting drug kingpins and murderous super powered individuals" isn't inherently dark or overly-serious, that's what W already is.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

be a hero because snowflakes are loving rad - Kamen Rider The First

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Be a hero because kicking monsters in the face is fun as gently caress.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Motto posted:

Not really? "Fighting drug kingpins and murderous super powered individuals" isn't inherently dark or overly-serious, that's what W already is.

it becomes so when you start stripping out all the lighter elements from the show.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Elfgames posted:

it becomes so when you start stripping out all the lighter elements from the show.

I'm literally saying base it off of the one solo adventure we've seen from Skull.

Where he fought a murderous super powered individual.

Hell, the OTHER solo adventure we've sort of seen him in, that music video one, had him fight Terror, the drug kingpin of the city.

You'll notice I never once said to strip the lighter elements out. I'm saying that starting with a twist on the general Kamen Rider idea as the start of the franchise and the introduction to a whole new audience is an inherently flawed concept.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
oh i don't disagree with that i just think that trying to adapt it at all is going to work you'll basically just end up creating a brand new american kamen rider anyway so just make it orgional.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The two things I've seen closest to the appeal of the toku shows I watch are Buffy the vampire slayer and season one and two of the cgi turtles show.

Buffy I think everyone knows, it's Buffy, it's silly high school poo poo and silly weird demons and witches and rubber suits, but it doesn't let anyone tell it what to do and will have more serious poo poo on it for better or worse. Come to think ash vs the evil dead was similar but even more fun.

The cgi tmnt showed that a cgi show might be the closest we get to the action sequences of toku, they seriously look great and it's clear that research was ot into them. It also, again, does mood whiplash a lot. The humor isn't far off from a toku show but some episodes had some disturbing stuff, "Pulverizer Returns" remains a more shocking episode than a lot of straight horror series.

My own suggestion for if you want to see a more directly like a "real" toku show is basically do things like the venture bros or Rick and north, have really smart writers tapping into their inner ten year olds. Make a really stupid adult swim show about live action actors beating up monsters, at first pull in the crowd who wants to watch something stupid and fun and gradually get them to sincerely care.

I don't want kamen rider adapted, unless it's just amazons with a dub. It's fine being what it is.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Spoilers this is also why Superman is the best

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Closest thing to toku I've watched is the Aquabats Super Show because, hey, it practically is toku. How did that do anyway, I wandered off before season two started and never heard of it again.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

All I know about that show was that Strong Bad was literally a villain on one episode.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Cliff Racer posted:

When you put it like that it could work. Except that when you "sand down the toyetic aspects" and "monsters of the fortnight" all you have is a generic superhero and a few bad guys. Could it work? Obviously, but only because its so drat vague. In that sense you might as well say that pretty much anything from Japanese kids shows could work. Pokemon could totally work guys, just make them adults and have Team Rocket be more menacing! Hamtaro could totally work guys, look how well The Smurfs has done!

That's just wrong. Kabuto has the basic alien body snatchers plot, and strong characters that each have their own arc across the course of the series. It got a loving secret sister surprise, for crying out loud. Making it so that Kabuto doesn't plug all the other Zecters together into one giant sword doesn't change that

edit: what Kamen Riders have you seen that make you think it's just a dude fighting monsters in between form changes? Just Fourze?

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 27, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This Ghost episode feels like they just had to cram a bunch of things in then forgot how to actually make them work making the whole episode a continuous anti-climax.

-Makoto gains a new power! He gets it by just DAI KAIGANing as he always had with no explanation as to why it triggered now and it lasts for a grand total of one attack. Which leads to...
-Gotta beat the new Ganma Ultima! He's destroyed in one blow by Deep Spectre. A blow that's literally him just flying through the guy and the giant eye in the sky with no further effects and looks dumb as gently caress.
-Reverse the age reversion! Will Akari do it?! No. She goes full science and it's cool and she gets a fragment of a blast...that leads absolutely nowhere because Takeru just undoes it with Tutankhamen so there was no point whatsoever to Akari's sub-plot.

I usually like Ghost but I seriously have no idea why they thought this was a good episode. I guess Shibuya's part was okay? I kind of really hate the moral though, so that soured me on it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Elfgames posted:

Literally no one is talking about stripping all the lighter elements out of Kamen Rider

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
But really, who is gonna go through all that trouble for a property that would likely never be a huge success? There are still hundreds of unused superhero properties to go through before trying to tap into the superhero boom with some karate bugmen people associate with a lovely, short-lived children's show if they recognize them at all. The only people asking for a kamen rider adaptation are kamen rider fans, and that isn't exactly a large group even among internet nerds.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

But really, who is gonna go through all that trouble for a property that would likely never be a huge success? There are still hundreds of unused superhero properties to go through before trying to tap into the superhero boom with some karate bugmen people associate with a lovely, short-lived children's show if they recognize them at all. The only people asking for a kamen rider adaptation are kamen rider fans, and that isn't exactly a large group even among internet nerds.

I'd say there's room for another Live Action Superhero show for kids, currently Power Rangers is the only one on the market, so if Saban can find the opportunity to try again with Kamen Rider you bet they'll take it(probably through a rebrand as Power Rider, especially since they still have the trademark on that to my knowledge, it avoids the stigma that both Masked Rider and unfortunately Kamen Rider have from the previous attempts, and it deepens the ties with Power Rangers that it will need to get started), same if Metal Heroes ever got another TV series that they could twist into a new VR Troopers or Beetleborgs series(hell if necessary Saban could always just use one of those names for a new attempt at Kamen Rider if Power Rider became unavailable for some reason)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

That's just wrong. Kabuto has the basic alien body snatchers plot, and strong characters that each have their own arc across the course of the series. It got a loving secret sister surprise, for crying out loud. Making it so that Kabuto doesn't plug all the other Zecters together into one giant sword doesn't change that

edit: what Kamen Riders have you seen that make you think it's just a dude fighting monsters in between form changes? Just Fourze?

Kuuga, Agito, Ryuuki, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, first few episodes of Ghost. I like parts of most of those shows, but most of it really is just plots of the week and toy pushing. The plot of Fourze was basically only set up in the last quarter, OOO's was explained in the first five or so episodes and after that it was just getting to the end. Ryuuki was a combo of the two. I watched the CAP subs of Kuuga and can thus barely describe the plot and Wizard basically didn't have one. Agito and W both did a good job of the pacing, and both seem a lot more suited for a western remake than the others listed here.

But its like I said at the very beginning of this discussion, strip too much of this stuff out and it ceases to really be a possible Kamen Rider adaptation. Like you guys want to strip out the toy crap? Thats great, but that means not reusing the fight footage for like the last half or more of the show. And KR has a lot more side characters appearing in the backgrounds of fight scenes, so that footage would have to be used more selectively too. Making KR work over here would be hard. Its like someone here said earlier, there's parts of it that are just too insulting to this country's audience (toy ad collectable parts) while simultaneously others are also clearly too adult for daytime Nick. Its just "cultural differences" about what does and does not fly.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
We're talking about an actual total remake, not a Power Rangers deal. So it would use none of the footage from the original

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

we have better luck convincing shout to start releasing it on DVD alongside sentai

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

boom boom boom posted:

We're talking about an actual total remake, not a Power Rangers deal. So it would use none of the footage from the original

and at that point just use spiderman

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Elfgames posted:

Spiderman would be terrible as a live-action TV show. The web swinging would be too expensive and difficult to do often enough, and god knows the licensing fees from Marvel would be crazy

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

Why do you think we are? The conversation started with someone noting that they could only get four of the Black RX suits to use on the original show and that KRDK was a failure.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Cliff Racer posted:

Why do you think we are? The conversation started with someone noting that they could only get four of the Black RX suits to use on the original show and that KRDK was a failure.

The conversation changed, bro, keep up

DoctorWhat posted:

CW superhero shows are the fabed "American Tokusatsu" and are wildly successful. There's absolutely ample room for a Kamen Rider series to succeed over here, complete with Rider Kicks and actual transformations.

What there isn't room for is a footage-recycling Saban project, or for a toyetic merchandizing vehicle. It'd have to be pointed at the Flarrow demographic. Relationship drama mixed with stunt action and big character-actor seasonal villains and wink-nudge references.

A full remake of Double would probably be the best route to success, especially if they just let Phillip and Shotaro date. That'd fly pretty well in 2018.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

we have better luck convincing shout to start releasing it on DVD alongside sentai

I would like a way to buy kamen rider shows, be it streaming or physical copies. But as someone already said, Toei won't let it go without huge licensing fees. Kamen rider simply is not that popular outside of japan, so it would be very difficult to make up that extra expense with sales. The end result is that no one licenses it because businesses are supposed to make money.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Elfgames posted:

spider-man is driven by guilt not "man gently caress you guys!"

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

boom boom boom posted:

Spiderman would be terrible as a live-action TV show. The web swinging would be too expensive and difficult to do often enough, and god knows the licensing fees from Marvel would be crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me-wMZeKck4 :colbert:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I would like a way to buy kamen rider shows, be it streaming or physical copies. But as someone already said, Toei won't let it go without huge licensing fees. Kamen rider simply is not that popular outside of japan, so it would be very difficult to make up that extra expense with sales. The end result is that no one licenses it because businesses are supposed to make money.

if they licensed the heisei shows i would buy every single one, much like i will buy every single sentai dvd they release

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

That's something that only really would work for a Theatrical Movie

So basically you're a moron

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

if they licensed the heisei shows i would buy every single one, much like i will buy every single sentai dvd they release

I can't speak to dvd license, but we know for a fact that they want premium price for the streaming rights to Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, despite them being niche within niches.

So good luck there. Shout Factory is the best shot, and so far they've mostly gotten away with Sentai DVDs due to Power Ranger nostalgia. I would love to know how well their DaiRanger DVDs sold compared to the Zyu and Kaku stuff though

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

drrockso20 posted:

That's something that only really would work for a Theatrical Movie

Expand on that. Why would a remake of a Kamen Rider TV show only work as a movie, and not as a new TV show?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

I can't speak to dvd license, but we know for a fact that they want premium price for the streaming rights to Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, despite them being niche within niches.

So good luck there. Shout Factory is the best shot, and so far they've mostly gotten away with Sentai DVDs due to Power Ranger nostalgia. I would love to know how well their DaiRanger DVDs sold compared to the Zyu and Kaku stuff though

kaku isn't really that much more recognizable than dai, considering the suit footage was used for like twelve episodes, whereas the white ranger suit is iconic as gently caress

obviously it sold well enough for them to commit to ohranger in the fall though, which i will buy in hopes of encouraging carranger, which i will buy despite not actually wanting to watch it, because i want them to keep doing these sets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

spider-man is driven by guilt not "man gently caress you guys!"

toku spiderman is

• Locked thread