Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Um I've been informed it is a beautiful utopia, stop spreading FUD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Thread locked. Moved to concern forum.

e:Beaten by Cambodian security forces for not having the correct poll.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 26, 2016

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Thread locked. Moved to concern forum.

e:Beaten by Cambodian security forces for not having the correct poll.
:gary: :yarg:

EDIT: Obligatory dancing catte :pgabz:

EDIT EDIT: I'm also told that the security forces involved are called the Cambodian Intelligence Group.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 26, 2016

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Did anyone see the hatchet job article on 7.30 on the Greens?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Starshark posted:

Did anyone see the hatchet job article on 7.30 on the Greens?

Nope, what was it about?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/chriskkenny/status/735686876384743426

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Which state has the highest beastiality rate?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Nope, what was it about?

I didn't see it, but it was apparently about infighting in the Greens and apparently they were saying the NSW faction was starting poo poo all the time and needed to have something done about it if the Greens wanted to get votes. This is only second-hand, mind, the actual episode could've been about RDN's chicken-loving ranch for all I know.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 26, 2016

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
god's work

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Spectacular.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Yeah, it's not Adelaide is hosed because of the dying car manufacturing industry or anything like that.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

holy poo poo

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Woke up to two horrible things this morning. My arthritis back in both my knees and Trump getting the Republican nomination.

When horribly poo poo happens in the US, Australia inevitably follows a few years after.

Countdown begins to Gina Rinehart joining the LNP and being automatically made PM.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

that took me till 43 to get what it was

god drat

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Is it dickbutt?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's allegedly Chris Kenny.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lol all mentions of Australia and in particular the Great Barrier Reef were removed from a unesco report on climate change and world heritage at the request of the government :yum:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

that took me till 43 to get what it was

god drat

I'm legitimately thrilled that someone filled it out.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I hope you tweeted that to him

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I believe there is a Morrison v Bowen debate today.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I've had ABC on in the mornings a lot lately, which means endless loving press conferences, and I never thought I'd get to the point where I actually hate the Canberra press gallery more than the politicians. Sure, the pollies waffle and use their talking points, but you expect that of them. Whereas the journos have apparently confused asking hard questions with asking irrelevant questions about the sound and fury and personality scandals of political theatre. Shorten's in Darwin talking about his rangers program and some fuckwit journo's first question was "WHEN EXACTLY DID YOU DECIDE TO AXE THE SCHOOLKIDS BONUS AND WHY DIDN'T DAVID FEENEY KNOW?" Shut the gently caress up.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Maybe, just maybe, it's because your loving Liberal mates screwing over manufacturing you dog loving piece of poo poo.

Just maybe.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

You Am I posted:

Maybe, just maybe, it's because your loving Liberal mates screwing over manufacturing you dog loving piece of poo poo.

Just maybe.

Nah, wiki says he's just flat out wrong

quote:

The 2013 South Australian Electricity Report noted that increases in prices were "largely driven by transmission and distribution network price increases".[35] In contrast, the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) has noted that the South Australian wholesale prices are lower than they have been since the start of the national electricity market, and that the wind “tends to depress the South Australian regional prices”.[36] The Government stated that the price increase due to the Carbon Tax was approximately half of that experienced by other States due to the high installed capacity of wind and gas-fired generation.[37]

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
As a health researcher this scares the poo poo out of me. For decades we have been warned about antibiotic resistant bacteria, but we kept overusing them particularly in factory farming to cut costs. Thanks antibiotics! It was nice having you for the past 70 years!

http://www.smh.com.au/world/the-superbug-that-could-render-antibiotics-useless-just-hit-the-us-20160526-gp4yl3.html

SMH posted:

For the first time, researchers have found a person in the United States carrying a bacteria resistant to antibiotics of last resort, an alarming development that the top US public health official says could mean "the end of the road" for antibiotics.

The antibiotic-resistant strain was found last month in the urine of a 49-year-old woman in the US state of Pennsylvania. Department of Defence researchers determined that carried a strain of E. coli resistant to the antibiotic colistin, according to a study published on Thursday. The authors wrote that the discovery "heralds the emergence of a truly pan-drug resistant bacteria."

Colistin is the antibiotic of last resort for particularly dangerous types of superbugs, including a family of bacteria known as CRE, which health officials have dubbed "nightmare bacteria." In some instances, these superbugs kill up to 50 per cent of patients who become infected. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has called CRE among the country's most urgent public health threats.

The results were published in Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, a publication of the American Society for Microbiology.

It's the first time this colistin-resistant strain has been found in a person in the United States. Last November, public health officials around the globe reacted with alarm when Chinese and British researchers reported finding the colistin-resistant strain in pigs, raw pork meat and in a small number of people in China. The deadly strain was later discovered in Europe and elsewhere.

"It basically shows us that the end of the road isn't very far away for antibiotics -- that we may be in a situation where we have patients in our intensive-care units, or patients getting urinary tract infections for which we do not have antibiotics," CDC Director Tom Frieden in an interview Thursday.

"I've been there for TB patients. I've cared for patients for whom there are no drugs left. It is a feeling of such horror and helplessness," Frieden added. "This is not where we need to be."

CDC officials are working with Pennsylvania health authorities to interview the patient and family to identify how she may have contracted the bacteria, including reviewing recent hospitalisations and other healthcare exposures. CDC hopes to screen the patient and other contacts to see if others might be carrying the organism. Local and state health departments will also be collecting cultures as part of the investigation.

Scientists and public health officials have long warned that if the resistant bacteria continue to spread, it could seriously limit available treatment options. Routine operations could become deadly. Minor infections could become life-threatening crises. Pneumonia could be more and more difficult to treat.

Already, doctors had been forced to rely on colistin as a last-line defense against antibiotic-resistant bacteria. The drug is hardly ideal. It is more than half a century old and can cause serious damage to a patient's kidneys. And yet, because doctors have run out of weapons to fight a growing number of infections that evade more modern antibiotics, it has become a critical tool in fighting off some of the most tenacious infections.

Bacteria develop antibiotic resistance in two ways. Many acquire mutations in their own genomes that allow them to withstand antibiotics, although that ability can't be shared with pathogens outside their own family.

Other bacteria rely on a shortcut: they get infected with something called a plasmid, a small piece of DNA, carrying a gene for antibiotic resistance. That makes resistance genes more dangerous because plasmids can make copies of themselves and transfer the genes they carry to other bugs within the same family as well as jump to other families of bacteria, which can then "catch" the resistance directly without having to develop it through evolution.

The colistin-resistant E. coli found in the Pennsylvania woman has this type of resistance gene.

Washington Post

The other issue is that we are not spending anywhere near enough money on looking for new antibiotics or alternatives. That's because antibiotics are cheap - so there is little money to be made in discovering a new one, so most of the research is being done by the public sector.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Freudian Slip posted:

As a health researcher this scares the poo poo out of me. For decades we have been warned about antibiotic resistant bacteria, but we kept overusing them particularly in factory farming to cut costs. Thanks antibiotics! It was nice having you for the past 70 years!

http://www.smh.com.au/world/the-superbug-that-could-render-antibiotics-useless-just-hit-the-us-20160526-gp4yl3.html

The other issue is that we are not spending anywhere near enough money on looking for new antibiotics or alternatives. That's because antibiotics are cheap - so there is little money to be made in discovering a new one, so most of the research is being done by the public sector.

Not very forward thinking cutting our science funding so heavily.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-27/rick-flori-to-stand-trial-leaking-footage-police-bashing/7451106

Police officer Rick Flori to stand trial for leaking police bashing footage

Police officer Rick Flori has been committed to stand trial for alleged misconduct for leaking footage showing a handcuffed man being bashed in the Surfers Paradise police station.

He does not dispute he leaked the CCTV footage, which showed fellow police officers bashing a handcuffed 21-year-old man in the basement of the Surfers Paradise police station in 2012.

Flori was charged with misconduct in public office — dealing with information with the intention to dishonestly cause a detriment.

The Queensland Director of Public Prosecutions argued Flori released the footage because he had a grudge against one of the officers in the video, who was filmed washing blood off the concrete after the incident.

Flori's lawyer argued he was shining a light on police misconduct.

Magistrate Michael Hogan ruled Flori did have a case to answer and set the matter down for trial at a date to be set.

Last August, Queensland police announced a review into Gold Coast police culture following bullying and harassment complaints and Flori being charged over the video leak.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Freudian Slip posted:

One of my good friends who works in science communications has given up on worrying about climate change because he thinks humans wont be around in big enough numbers for it to be much of an issue.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Freudian Slip posted:

Maybe free market capitalism is in fact...bad?

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Freudian Slip posted:

You understand the gravity of this, but this news is going to roll off the back of everyone who isn't in the health field, nobody else will care and nothing will change, especially with regard to farming practices. That's the truly concerning thing. We're going to have an antibiotic crisis soon, at this stage it's fairly well unavoidable :(

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

But how much will the coming superbug plague cost the economy in lost productivity?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It'll save on redundancies for the new agile streamlined workforce.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Inge posted:

You understand the gravity of this, but this news is going to roll off the back of everyone who isn't in the health field, nobody else will care and nothing will change, especially with regard to farming practices. That's the truly concerning thing. We're going to have an antibiotic crisis soon, at this stage it's fairly well unavoidable :(

Man, I wonder which outcome of unrestrained capitalism will ruin us first!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Capitalists will start hiring Bacteria due to their unrivalled efficiency.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

starkebn posted:

Not very forward thinking cutting our science funding so heavily.
Dumb loving pointy heads should have been more agile. We only asked them to try one new thing!

But why stop the victim blaming there? Why indeed Warren.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-27/aurukun-failed-social-experiment-qld-fed-mp-warren-entsch-says/7450964

quote:

Aurukun a 'failed social experiment', Queensland federal MP Warren Entsch says Updated 15 minutes ago

Aurukun is a "failed social experiment", far north Queensland federal MP Warren Entsch has said, after the Cape York town's school closed for the second time in two weeks and its teachers were removed over safety concerns. Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, three senior ministers and the Police Commissioner have arrived in Aurukun to hold talks with the mayor and community members after 20 teachers were forced to leave the community. The school's principal was allegedly assaulted at least twice in night-time skirmishes, prompting security concerns for all school staff. Police said violent incidents around 3:00am on Wednesday morning involved children as young as six. The number of police patrolling the community has been bolstered from the usual eight officers to 21.

Cape York Indigenous leader Noel Pearson, who runs the school, accused Mr Entsch of failing to achieve anything for the community. But Mr Entsch said the troubled youths were products of Mr Pearson's school system and it should be reviewed. "I find it amazing people like Noel [Pearson] are quick to walk away from this and blame the State Government, blame the Federal Government, blame the police for this," he said. "We need to have a look at the effectiveness of the programs and the impact that those programs have had on the community, and I think that's where we need to start. "For the hundreds of millions that we have spent in there I think we're getting poor value for money. "What we've got to do is do a review on the programs, the system of education there, personally I think we need to go back to the previous system."

Mr Pearson said on Thursday the recent trouble in Aurukun was not the only issue for teachers. He told ABC radio living and working conditions for teachers could be compared to war-torn Afghanistan. "There is a terrible insecurity in relation to the premises that teachers live in," he said. "It's disgusting to go out to remote areas — the hardest gigs in education — this is the Afghanistan of teaching, it is that hard. "The least they can expect is good accommodation that is quite safe and we haven't guaranteed that."

Curfew being considered

Meanwhile, the Queensland Teachers Union (QTU) said imposing a curfew in Aurukun was one of the options being considered to prevent night-time violence. QTU spokesman Kevin Bates said Aurukun mayor Dereck Walpo wanted to discuss the possibility of a curfew.

['Aurukun facing same challenges' A teacher who worked in Aurukun 10 years ago says the problems the community is facing are the same problems of a decade ago.]

Mr Bates said a curfew might help the community prevent a repeat of the violence, but it might be hard to enforce. "This community has a whole suite of options open to it and that's one that's certainly worth considering," he said. Cr Walpo said he had a list of issues he wanted to talk to Ms Palaszczuk about, including plans for the students' education while the school was closed. "We had a good stakeholder's meeting here with all our service providers that are in the community and we've put some dot points together, but I can't indulge with that at this time until we've engaged with the Premier and the ministers and see what they think of our positive dot points," he said. On Thursday, the Queensland Government also announced it wanted the bauxite mine to be developed in Aurukun to create jobs and other economic opportunities. It said it was working with the resources company Glencore.

Where do you even start. I haven't done any research into the particulars here but people who are the chosen instruments of NTATA and Pearson may be exactly the sort of people who make really really poo poo teachers. Of course the real problem is entrenched disadvantage and no amount of BBQ school roof building fluro vest photo ops will fix that, surprisingly. Obviously the only possible answer to entrenched race based disadvantage is to dig the place up. It's worked so well everywhere else it has been tried!

The Murdouche press is out gunning for Shorten on the economic front today. Apparently he has a problem with getting his budget to balance. Err, excuse me but he isn't actually in government and the knob noodles who are:

1/Haven't got a balanced budget.
2/ Have a much bigger deficit than they 'inherited'.
3/ As recently as yesterday made a 30 Billion dollar mistake in their attack campaign.

It pays not to point the guns at your own feet when you get all hot and bothered by an issue.

Also on Shorten's list of sins is poor foreign relations why?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-27/election-2016-live-blog-may-27/7449652

quote:

Election live: PM Malcolm Turnbull slams Bill Shorten over 'barking mad' Donald Trump comments

Malcolm Turnbull has taken Bill Shorten to task after the Labor leader accused US presidential hopeful Donald Trump of being "barking mad".

Perhaps "barking mad" is a little over the top. Trump is more clearly a sullen opportunist who is tapping into a rich vein of the psychosis underlying American society. That actually makes him more reprehensible and dangerous. But if foreign affairs was where you wanted the spot light Malform...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-26/indonesia-responds-to-barnaby-joyce's-remarks/7449738

quote:

Election 2016: Indonesia says Turnbull, Bishop's explanations of Joyce's asylum remarks are 'clear' By Monique Ross Updated yesterday at 10:09pm

Indonesia appears to have accepted the Government's explanation of Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce's controversial remarks linking a live export ban to the people smuggling trade.

Key points:

Julie Bishop says the comments will not damage Australia's ties with Indonesia
Indonesia's Foreign Ministry says the explanation from the Prime Minister and Ms Bishop are "clear"
Bill Shorten accuses Barnaby Joyce of being "loose and dangerous"
The Government spent day 18 of the election campaign trying to limit the fallout after Mr Joyce linked the former Labor government's decision to suspend live exports to Indonesia with a rise in asylum seeker boat arrivals.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull rejected the idea, and Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop later contacted the Indonesian Government to clarify the remarks. Asked whether she thought the comments would damage Australia's ties with Indonesia, she said: "It won't." "We have a very good working relationship with Indonesia. The Deputy Prime Minister's comments have been clarified and we work very closely with Indonesia, we are working with them as we both seek to disrupt the people smuggling trade," Ms Bishop said. A spokeswoman for Ms Bishop told the ABC she had "been in communication with Australia's ambassador in Jakarta, and directly with Indonesia's Foreign Minister". In a one-line statement this afternoon, a spokesman for Indonesia's Foreign Ministry said the comments from the Prime Minister and Ms Bishop were "clear". Indonesia has issued no further response.

Mr Turnbull and his deputy leader, who campaigned side-by-side in Rockhampton today, both sought to distance themselves from the idea Mr Joyce had pointed the finger of blame for the boats at Indonesia. The Prime Minister stressed there was "no link between the Indonesian Government and people smuggling" and praised the country's President Joko Widodo as an "inspirational leader". "The only point that I want to stress is that our cooperation with Indonesia in terms of stopping people smuggling is very, very strong," Mr Turnbull said. "They are as committed to stopping that trade as we are." Mr Joyce repeatedly sought to clarify his comments, and said he was not saying Indonesia started "sending people across" when the export ban came into effect in 2011. "What I've said is quite clear. That basically we already had 14,000 people that had come in through boats. Another 40,000 came in afterwards," he told journalists. "But you don't fix the problem of people coming in illegally by creating another problem, which was banning live cattle trade."

Deputy PM 'loose and dangerous'

But Opposition Leader Bill Shorten said the explanations were not good enough. "Barnaby Joyce is loose and dangerous. And is Mr Turnbull seriously asking Australians to consider voting for Barnaby Joyce as Deputy Prime Minister?" he said while campaigning in Darwin.

Indonesia's former foreign minister Marty Natalegawa, who was in the role when the ban was introduced in 2011, labelled the remarks "fundamentally flawed" and "patently false". "At best, it represents an over-analysis of the subject. Worse still, it is shocking to suggest that the Indonesian Government would put at risk the safety and lives of innocent asylum seekers in making the treacherous journey to Australia simply to make a point," he said in a statement. Mr Joyce made the remarks at the ABC's regional leaders debate in Goulburn on Wednesday night, where he was appearing with Labor's Joel Fitzgibbon and Greens leader Richard Di Natale. Asked about the issue of live exports, Mr Joyce said Australia had been one of the largest suppliers of meat to Indonesia in 2011, when the Gillard government decided to suspend live cattle exports in the wake of a Four Corners cruelty investigation. Might I remind you that when we closed down the live animal export industry, it was around about the same time that we started seeing a lot of people arriving in boats in Australia," Mr Joyce said. "They accepted us as a reasonable trading partner; we proved overnight that we weren't; we created immense bad will in the region we live."

Unfortunately, as badly as they are doing on the campaign trail, there is the harsh light of reality:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-27/cassidy-polls-don%27t-mean-a-thing-if-labor-ain%27t-got-that-swing/7450528

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Amoeba102 posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-27/rick-flori-to-stand-trial-leaking-footage-police-bashing/7451106

Police officer Rick Flori to stand trial for leaking police bashing footage

Police officer Rick Flori has been committed to stand trial for alleged misconduct for leaking footage showing a handcuffed man being bashed in the Surfers Paradise police station.

He does not dispute he leaked the CCTV footage, which showed fellow police officers bashing a handcuffed 21-year-old man in the basement of the Surfers Paradise police station in 2012.

Flori was charged with misconduct in public office — dealing with information with the intention to dishonestly cause a detriment.

The Queensland Director of Public Prosecutions argued Flori released the footage because he had a grudge against one of the officers in the video, who was filmed washing blood off the concrete after the incident.

Flori's lawyer argued he was shining a light on police misconduct.

Magistrate Michael Hogan ruled Flori did have a case to answer and set the matter down for trial at a date to be set.

Last August, Queensland police announced a review into Gold Coast police culture following bullying and harassment complaints and Flori being charged over the video leak.

JFC

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The cops doing the beating got suspended. The cop whistle blower gets charged.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Couldn't his defence just be, "Yes, I have a grudge against that officer because I don't like coppers who beat handcuffed suspects." :shrug:

Queensland worst state.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Dutton got his start as a qld cop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Starshark posted:

I didn't see it, but it was apparently about infighting in the Greens and apparently they were saying the NSW faction was starting poo poo all the time and needed to have something done about it if the Greens wanted to get votes. This is only second-hand, mind, the actual episode could've been about RDN's chicken-loving ranch for all I know.

Nah it was a beat-up based off a cranky email sent out by our former treasurer. Honestly, now that the EO is gone NSW is in a better organisational state than it has been for a while.

• Locked thread