Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I always try to impress on management that the better an IT drone is at their job the less work they actually do. You can get mad at them for looking lazy and drive them off (or worse, lay people off), or just be happy the business is running smooth.

I'm super lucky these days that everyone above me agrees with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arsten posted:

A user-editable list, specifically designed and with no script/dev work hanging off of it is just that: a user-editable list.

You sure about that? Sounds like a convenient place to grab some dates from and run critical business logic on.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

xzzy posted:

I always try to impress on management that the better an IT drone is at their job the less work they actually do. You can get mad at them for looking lazy and drive them off (or worse, lay people off), or just be happy the business is running smooth.

We have people here who think AS/400 guy is a valuable asset because he's always running around putting fires out.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Bob Morales posted:

We have people here who think AS/400 guy is a valuable asset because he's always running around putting fires out.

Arent they the same ones he started

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

baquerd posted:

You sure about that? Sounds like a convenient place to grab some dates from and run critical business logic on.

The date fields are the appropriate place to grab dates from and run them. All six of the date fields, in fact. And that's where the logic hangs. This field is used exclusively for sequencing and querying in reports. And, checking just in case I was wrong, shows no code attached to it in either the UI or the report. It is, additionally, marked as a list to be managed by Operations in the business flow (which all of the IT consultants never bothered to reference).

You're talking to the guy who did the project management on this particular application and its attendant reports setup - and is one of the first people everyone talks to when they want the computer to think for them, so I tend to be in the loop on changes. I will easily admit I can be wrong, but not in this case. :v: (Cue countdown to my wrongness.)

The problem is that, with IT in a tail spin - no leadership and none of the remnants of IT even having experience with our ERP - they are desperate to exert control on things, even if it means a two-minute update should be paid out as 5 hours to each of seven or eight contract developers to "review" which will turn into me being the first person they phone going, "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US THAT IT WOULD TAKE TWO MINUTES TO FIX?!" as they cut the check.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

wolrah posted:

Which of course crashes headlong in to the fact that a good IT person automates everything they can and these days any hardware worth a poo poo has enough remote management capability that I can do 95% of my job from literally anywhere on the planet that has an internet connection.

I've pretty much reached the point now where there isn't really all that much to do now, besides someone messing up certain types of data entry or physical problems in the office (Printers, hardware setups etc) everything is more or less automatic.

Besides two major upcoming projects to move our VOIP provider and migration to a new CRM, there isn't much else to do in the mean time. I've sort of floundered around trying to implement Rocket Chat on a test Linux VM, but it's a whole lot of waiting around and looking for something to tune up.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Super Slash posted:

I've pretty much reached the point now where there isn't really all that much to do now, besides someone messing up certain types of data entry or physical problems in the office (Printers, hardware setups etc) everything is more or less automatic.

Besides two major upcoming projects to move our VOIP provider and migration to a new CRM, there isn't much else to do in the mean time. I've sort of floundered around trying to implement Rocket Chat on a test Linux VM, but it's a whole lot of waiting around and looking for something to tune up.

When you reach this point, you have two options,
move on to the next fire for more pay and let someone take over who will make it a mess again in 10 years.

stay in the position until you retire or your skill set rusts enough that you have to work again.

Some combination of the two is likely the best option, it also depends on what else is open in your area.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

xzzy posted:

OMG this is my life right now. For some reason they think we don't do anything and are installing software and putting processes in place to monitor our every customer interaction, so now following all the processes that (micro)management is putting in place is more important than doing actual work.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

DigitalMocking posted:

high five my retarded 5.4 brother!

I rolled it out to a small office just to test. Yeah.... fffuuuck that. They have a super fun bug with the SSL client where split tunneling doesn't work randomly!

I actually had to upgrade TO 5.4 in order to dodge a different bug. Turns out the software switch on pre-5.4 didn't know how to play with STP properly and would always send the physical switchport into blocking due to seeing multiple connections on that interface. Fun stuff.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A locksmith changed the lock at one of our sites. We are waiting on equipment to come in to replace that site's door access system and some of the panels are no longer responding to fobs and have to be opened by key.

:phone: We do not have any extra keys to send to IT, once the door controller system is replaced we will get the keys back and can send you one.
:geno: We will need a key to get into the building to replace the door controller system
:phone: Only the locksmith can make extra keys and its $35/key plus a $150 service fee
:geno: I'm pretty sure that's bullshit but if you are not willing to do this, then the site manager is going to need to meet us there if we show up on a weekend/evening to let us in the building to do our work. Also, lets communicate to managers that in the future if they change locks, they need to order enough keys + 1 to be assigned to IT.
:phone: Well they did order enough, but then the manager said she needed all of the extras to go to staff, including the copy for IT.

So that means they didn't order enough? Got it. Also drat it makes me want to show up there at 2am on a Sunday just to make the idiot have to meet us to let us in the building.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

They're remodeling the accounting department in like 2 weeks. Now to scramble to get some electricians in here to get power, phone, and data to the new furniture! Wouldn't want to get blamed for 'holding up the project'! As an added bonus they haven't even decided 100% on where people are sitting or what desks they are getting!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

They're remodeling the accounting department in like 2 weeks. Now to scramble to get some electricians in here to get power, phone, and data to the new furniture! Wouldn't want to get blamed for 'holding up the project'! As an added bonus they haven't even decided 100% on where people are sitting or what desks they are getting!

This is better than what I dealt with at my last job, they completely changed the layout and added some partitions to a room without talking to IT, we get a ticket the day of "email is slow". Okay that's nice, low priority ticket, we get to it 3 days later. Turns out they had no internet and their manager almost bit my head off when I got stuck with dealing with it about why their employee couldn't do work. Well okay, you have a rule that you have to submit all tickets for some reason so you filled it out as "employee is saying their email is slow". We put a job note in for the electrician to setup some new ports. I set them up with a temporary hazard of 120 or so foot of custom length cable going through the ceiling, but they didn't like that so instead they threw it under the rug and over the cubical wall because the hanging cable "looked bad". Guess what was still there when I left 6 months later?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

RFC2324 posted:

Level 1 System Administrator. If you can navigate the CLI, and follow/understand process documents without deviating "because I thought it would work better" sysadmin is the perfect step up from helldesk.

This is probably what I should consider myself except I have no process documents. Well, if you don't count the ones I'm creating as I find ways our process is broken. I've actually cut our early shift call volume by 90% because I've automated what I can and streamlined the pre-setup process on all our equipment for new installs such that I can do what normally cost us 20-30 man hours in 2 of my own.

What's pissing me off: getting actively or passive aggressively yelled at for not knowing how to fix a thing that no one has showed me anything about ever. Additionally, most of the people who could show me anything about a system I'm working on are asleep. And the last time I woke one of them up, the entire department got an email about "proper escalation process" which is literally one more step than what I did: they want me to call my supervisor who's gone half way into my shift and have HIM call.

For context: I work graveyard (usually around 3p-4a) and most of the yelling and/or whining happens while I'm sleeping and I get to read about it when I come in to work.

Still better than my last job though.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Pissing me off: I'm working on three projects and our vendor has screwed up EVERY quote. Monday it was the wrong storage array part number. Tuesday it was the wrong VMware licensing. Today it's the wrong number of nodes for a existing storage system expansion. Not to mention the extra 25% tacked on in random services and software licensing we don't need. (As our vendor put it, "We like to put it on there so you can come back and cut some costs so that management is happy"- which is fine with me, but I just want to know what exactly they are tacking on, not just a random list "because we thought you might want this"). Tomorrow is going to be a fun day.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 26, 2016

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sirotan posted:

A locksmith changed the lock at one of our sites. We are waiting on equipment to come in to replace that site's door access system and some of the panels are no longer responding to fobs and have to be opened by key.

:phone: We do not have any extra keys to send to IT, once the door controller system is replaced we will get the keys back and can send you one.
:geno: We will need a key to get into the building to replace the door controller system
:phone: Only the locksmith can make extra keys and its $35/key plus a $150 service fee
:geno: I'm pretty sure that's bullshit but if you are not willing to do this, then the site manager is going to need to meet us there if we show up on a weekend/evening to let us in the building to do our work. Also, lets communicate to managers that in the future if they change locks, they need to order enough keys + 1 to be assigned to IT.
:phone: Well they did order enough, but then the manager said she needed all of the extras to go to staff, including the copy for IT.

So that means they didn't order enough? Got it. Also drat it makes me want to show up there at 2am on a Sunday just to make the idiot have to meet us to let us in the building.

Hey, if you are crazy, you can get out of having to fly combat missions. IF you go to the doc wondering about your sanity, you are OBVIOUSLY sane, and kosher to fly.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I actually had to upgrade TO 5.4 in order to dodge a different bug. Turns out the software switch on pre-5.4 didn't know how to play with STP properly and would always send the physical switchport into blocking due to seeing multiple connections on that interface. Fun stuff.

Yeeep.

Turns out the split tunnel thing was only impacting one user, and I think the user is a loving dink. (engineer). So far I haven't had any operational issues with 5.4, but this is in a very small office with one internet connection and one MPLS connection back to corp.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Crowley posted:

Anyone fancy a job on the west coast of Denmark? Government job with somewhat decent pay and excellent pension. A coworker quit for a lateral move to another job, and the pickings are kinda slim out here.

Houses are cheap out here, or just buy a farm, or an island. :v:

Man I'm kinda tempted but I think you probably need someone with more experience than me
Also someone who could actually afford to move.
And probably someone who actually speaks Danish instead of Swedish

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

the spyder posted:

Pissing me off: I'm working on three projects and our vendor has screwed up EVERY quote. Monday it was the wrong storage array part number. Tuesday it was the wrong VMware licensing. Today it's the wrong number of nodes for a existing storage system expansion. Not to mention the extra 25% tacked on in random services and software licensing we don't need. (As our vendor put it, "We like to put it on there so you can come back and cut some costs so that management is happy"- which is fine with me, but I just want to know what exactly they are tacking on, not just a random list "because we thought you might want this"). Tomorrow is going to be a fun day.

That... actually feels like it's skimming a bit close to the line of bribery. They fiddle their quotes to give you an indirect benefit (looking good in front of management) in order to induce you to use them as the vendor.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Why yes, laptop and company IT policy guys, while I am on a customer site and accessing the VPN via my cell phone's hot spot, now is totally the appropriate time to run a scan of my laptop for compliance/viruses/software updates.

No, go ahead and peg all four cores of my processor at a hundred percent. Please make my laptop sluggish and unresponsive.

Please drain my battery while performing this un-cancellable bullshit.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Why yes, laptop and company IT policy guys, while I am on a customer site and accessing the VPN via my cell phone's hot spot, now is totally the appropriate time to run a scan of my laptop for compliance/viruses/software updates.

No, go ahead and peg all four cores of my processor at a hundred percent. Please make my laptop sluggish and unresponsive.

Everyone knows that the only time to do this is when you are giving a customer presentation and have your screen on a projector.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Agrikk posted:

Salesperson spotted.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"We want web cams so we can talk to the office in Nevada and Texas with Skype"

Okay, here's the ones we use, $89 each

"Great!"

BTW, what do you want them for, exactly?

"Well we want to show the people down there how to do tasks in the shop"

So you're going to use a web cam on your computer, in your office to show them how to do things in the shop?

"Oh so yea that won't work, it's too far away"

*sarcastically* Maybe you guys should just get iPads and Facetime each other!

"Oh that's great idea can you order us some?"

This should be great. Someone trying to hold up an iPad to record them selves R&R'ing some parts or something, dropping it on the floor...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

"We want web cams so we can talk to the office in Nevada and Texas with Skype"

Okay, here's the ones we use, $89 each

"Great!"

BTW, what do you want them for, exactly?

"Well we want to show the people down there how to do tasks in the shop"

So you're going to use a web cam on your computer, in your office to show them how to do things in the shop?

"Oh so yea that won't work, it's too far away"

*sarcastically* Maybe you guys should just get iPads and Facetime each other!

"Oh that's great idea can you order us some?"

This should be great. Someone trying to hold up an iPad to record them selves R&R'ing some parts or something, dropping it on the floor...

My hedge fund was opening a second office on a different floor of the same building. They asked for a virtual telepresence wall. I was sort of confused and asked them to explain the exact experience they wanted. They said they saw another company had a wall that was covered in monitors, and you could walk up to it and talk to the other office as if it was the other half of the same room. So both rooms have one end full of monitors and it looks like basically the room continues. I asked if they saw this on TV or actually in person, and they were like "just figure it out". My boss since this was $AWFUL_JOB, told them it'd be perfectly doable and seriously took money from then in exchange for this outcome.

I quit before it became a thing, I'm so glad. I can't fathom how that is a thing.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My hedge fund was opening a second office on a different floor of the same building. They asked for a virtual telepresence wall. I was sort of confused and asked them to explain the exact experience they wanted. They said they saw another company had a wall that was covered in monitors, and you could walk up to it and talk to the other office as if it was the other half of the same room. So both rooms have one end full of monitors and it looks like basically the room continues. I asked if they saw this on TV or actually in person, and they were like "just figure it out". My boss since this was $AWFUL_JOB, told them it'd be perfectly doable and seriously took money from then in exchange for this outcome.

I quit before it became a thing, I'm so glad. I can't fathom how that is a thing.

"Immersive Telepresence". It's a thing, but a dying thing, as people realize that 500-700k per room, plus 10k+ in support and bandwidth bills per month aren't really worth it.

Something like this http://www.polycom.com/hd-video-conferencing/realpresence-immersive-video-telepresence.html

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Nobody in our graphics department understands what a Retina screen is and why everything is tiny in Photoshop when you scale it to 100% and normal size on the web site.

"Should we make everything double the size in photoshop?"

:argh:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Nobody in our graphics department understands what a Retina screen is and why everything is tiny in Photoshop when you scale it to 100% and normal size on the web site.

"Should we make everything double the size in photoshop?"

:argh:

A graphics department doesn't understand pixel density? Did your company hire them all from Nordstrom or something? :v:

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

Arsten posted:

A graphics department doesn't understand pixel density? Did your company hire them all from Nordstrom or something? :v:

I used to work at a manufacturing shop that did things like rotary engraved embossings seals, laser engraved stamps, etc. Not even the "head typesetter" understood basic concepts like raster vs. vector or dpi, despite the fact that those factors and more were crucial to proper production files for the machines.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You just make it look good on the computer then do a test print, if it looks good there great, if not it's the computers fault and make it look even better on the computer. Or you just use the "inches" setting in photoshop and be blissfully unaware of what a pixel is.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Arsten posted:

They are like 22, 26, and 28 so it's not like they are old phogeys.

"I think I have to update my adobe photoshop it's acting weird"

SO ARE THE WEBSITES GOING TO LOOK BAD NOW?

You're not doing anything differently than you have the last 4 years that Retina displays have existed, it's fine.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Held of one our bi-annual "Basic Computer Skills" classes. For those employees attending we go over basic stuff such as desktop, files/folders, moving windows, etc...

One employee asked about copy/paste. I spent over half an hour on just that alone, many minds where blown.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

stevewm posted:

Held of one our bi-annual "Basic Computer Skills" classes. For those employees attending we go over basic stuff such as desktop, files/folders, moving windows, etc...

One employee asked about copy/paste. I spent over half an hour on just that alone, many minds where blown.

I did one with Outlook, some shortcuts and stuff.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

They are like 22, 26, and 28 so it's not like they are old phogeys.

:raise: Nordstrom is retail. You'd be hiring them at like 18 - not old phooey land?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I know a bunch of people that work IT at Nordstrom too, they're all of a reasonable agree too.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Someone snapshotted and reverted a domain controller.

Dfsr is uber hosed.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Swink posted:

Someone snapshotted and reverted a domain controller.

Dfsr is uber hosed.
My boss is super paranoid and for our upgrade to a 2008r2 forest/domain functional level he wants me to provide a rollback plan using snapshots and it seems like the worst idea

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

anthonypants posted:

My boss is super paranoid and for our upgrade to a 2008r2 forest/domain functional level he wants me to provide a rollback plan using snapshots and it seems like the worst idea

dc promo everything but one out. snapshot. upgrade. Promo all the others back in?

I mean, it is a dumb plan, but it meets the requirements.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

anthonypants posted:

Never, ever, ever use snapshots as a backup for a domain controller.

KennyTheFish posted:

dc promo everything but one out. snapshot. upgrade. Promo all the others back in?

Do this, the worst case scenario is you reinstall and re-promote some DCs. Personally I would do them in batches.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Raerlynn posted:

Never, ever, ever use snapshots as a backup for a domain controller.

Why not

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

KennyTheFish posted:

We already have a domain, we're not using dcpromo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Because you have a bunch of cross replicated data and the members that aren't rolled back with a snapshot are going say "Who the gently caress is this amnesiac impostor who claims to be our friend?" Or worse yet, some of them start believing its story and they get into a nasty argument about what really is real anyways.