Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RusteJuxx posted:

Rebirth question:
Is there going to be a JSA ongoing out of this? I don't see mention of it anywhere, but maybe I missed it.

No mention of a JSA or Legion book, which is weird when like 8 pages of the one-shot were devoted to setting up that those groups exist (except the LoSH already existed, considering they had 2 ongoings at the start of the Nu52, right?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

Tim got put on the team of rookies and Damian gets to be on the Teen Titans? No wonder that kid has middle child syndrome so hard.

You say that like it's better to be on the Teen Titans then working directly with Batman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I forget, does 'Tec always outsell Batman or is it that Action outdoes Superman?

Also, for gently caress's sake, DC, if you actually want to pretend like the Trinity all matter equally, launch a print Sensation Comics.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Travis343 posted:

You say that like it's better to be on the Teen Titans then working directly with Batman.

It is if Batman's training a team of novices.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

It is if Batman's training a team of novices.

Novices that include Stephanie Brown.

e: Stephanie is really the only novice on the team, the rest of the cast is Batwoman, Clayface and Cassandra Cain, who is like the best martial artist in the DC Universe, so I think Tim's looking pretty good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

NO

NO

We are not going back to the Tim Drake/Stephanie Brown drama well. I just got over the PTSD from the Convergence mini.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Travis343 posted:

e: Stephanie is really the only novice on the team, the rest of the cast is Batwoman, Clayface and Cassandra Cain, who is like the best martial artist in the DC Universe, so I think Tim's looking pretty good.

That's different. The description I got made it sound like Bats put Robin on The Outsiders. That'd be hosed up. When did Clayface do a (clay) face turn?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

That's different. The description I got made it sound like Bats put Robin on The Outsiders. That'd be hosed up. When did Clayface do a (clay) face turn?

That actually happened in Batwoman's solo series, right before it got canceled on account of being awful. He lost his memory or something, but not completely. He had memories but it was like they were someone else's, and he was horrified by the stuff he'd done. He was on Batwoman's weird misfit team that included Ragman, Etrigan and Batwoman's crazy sister Red Alice and they went into space. This would have been amazing in the hands of pretty much any writer except Marc Andreyko.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gaz-L posted:

I forget, does 'Tec always outsell Batman or is it that Action outdoes Superman?
I don't think either of those have ever been true in the past thirty years unless you count the early months of the New 52 when Morrison was on Action and Superman was a revolving door of people quitting.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gavok posted:

It's a side-piece, basically. GL rings can run out and don't always work right. Best have a gun just in case.
Which, and I say this every time it comes up, I genuinely like so much. Because Simon makes perfect loving sense -- even if your primary weapon is the most powerful thing in the universe and can do literally anything, if it can run out of ammo and you're not carrying a sidearm, you're dumb as hell.

The problem is that Simon is still carrying an Earth handgun instead of ditching it for some laser pistol or something, and that immediately loops it back to him being dumb as hell, because seriously dude I can count on one hand the people you fight who can actually be harmed by bullets and have fingers left over.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

CapnAndy posted:

Which, and I say this every time it comes up, I genuinely like so much. Because Simon makes perfect loving sense -- even if your primary weapon is the most powerful thing in the universe and can do literally anything, if it can run out of ammo and you're not carrying a sidearm, you're dumb as hell.

The problem is that Simon is still carrying an Earth handgun instead of ditching it for some laser pistol or something, and that immediately loops it back to him being dumb as hell, because seriously dude I can count on one hand the people you fight who can actually be harmed by bullets and have fingers left over.

He's a guy from Earth, he hasn't been a GL for very long, and maybe the Earth gun is more comforting to him as a safety blanket than yet another piece of crazy alien tech like the one on his finger.

Edit: Wow they really did a good job on this:

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 27, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, the whole book is full of it. The classic 9 panel layout in the opening is right out of the Dr Manhattan origin issue. And as I said, I really liked the final segment for how closely it mimicked Gibbons & co.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Gaz-L posted:

NO

NO

We are not going back to the Tim Drake/Stephanie Brown drama well. I just got over the PTSD from the Convergence mini.

At least Tynion more or less gets Cass's personality, so we won't have to deal with her trying to eat Steph's hamster. :shrug:

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

X-O posted:

Dan Abnett is exclusive for DC now. So good news for Marvel.

You say that but his GotG run was great and his current Herc run was also pretty good, though probably over and done at this point.

You talk about him like he's Lobdell when he's had many more fine or good books than bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

You say that but his GotG run was great and his current Herc run was also pretty good, though probably over and done at this point.

You talk about him like he's Lobdell when he's had many more fine or good books than bad.

His Guardians run was years ago and when he was with Lanning. Back when he was good. His Herc was terrible. I liked the first issue and then it just turned bad really fast. His work on Guardians the last couple years has been terrible and he wrote one of the worst Secret Wars tie-ins as well. Maybe his DC work is magically better somehow but I've heard Earth 2 and Titans Hunt are really bad so I doubt it.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

X-O posted:

His Guardians run was years ago and when he was with Lanning. Back when he was good. His Herc was terrible. I liked the first issue and then it just turned bad really fast. His work on Guardians the last couple years has been terrible and he wrote one of the worst Secret Wars tie-ins as well. Maybe his DC work is magically better somehow but I've heard Earth 2 and Titans Hunt are really bad so I doubt it.

I haven't read Earth 2(clusterfuck that it's been) but his Aquaman was also good (if you can get past Brett Booth art, another problem with Titans really). I feel you on Titans Hunt but I'm pretty sure it got hijacked partway through. It was supposed to be 12 issues and my guess was the original idea was for it to be the Wally West return book (lots of hints early on that then stopped immediately before the super obvious Pre-Rebirth teaser) only for Wally to get his own big event for his return. It's like they stretched out this 6 issue intro/setup arc into this decompressed 8 issue thing that suffered for it.

I thought the characters and and narration were good, it just progressed slowly. But maybe I'm being too generous and he doesn't work well without Lanning. I just can't remember an Abnett book I've read that I actively disliked.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I like Earth 2 but I'll freely admit I've read like nothing of Earth 2 before this so I'm not fully aware of how big of a clusterfuck we've had that got us here :shobon:.

His Titans Hunt, Guardians of Infinity, and Hercules though leave me unimpressed. If this leads to someone else getting Civil War II: Gods of War, I'd call Abnett going to DC a win for Marvel.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've not heard of anyone even reading his Aquaman or He-Man books. Maybe his true talent lies in writing about blonde guys that most people think are really lame. Maybe DC will put him on a revived Triumph comic.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-O posted:

...He-Man.. blonde guys that most people think are really lame.

:confused:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not sure what's confusing there. Is his He-Man not blonde?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

X-O posted:

I've not heard of anyone even reading his Aquaman or He-Man books. Maybe his true talent lies in writing about blonde guys that most people think are really lame. Maybe DC will put him on a revived Triumph comic.

The best thing about his Aquaman book is Aquaman and Mera being an adorable couple, which I wasn't expecting out of it but I'm glad I read it in spite of the art. But my favorite DC cape stuff ever was Waid's Flash so maybe I have a weak point for that kind of silly power of love stuff.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

He's a guy from Earth, he hasn't been a GL for very long, and maybe the Earth gun is more comforting to him as a safety blanket than yet another piece of crazy alien tech like the one on his finger.

Edit: Wow they really did a good job on this:

Haha, a "good job" straight up ripping off a memorable, gutwrenching moment to kill Pandora.

Johns is such a hack.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah, well, when a person I like does it, it's homage, when a person I don't like does it, it's a ripoff.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, well, when a person I like does it, it's homage, when a person I don't like does it, it's a ripoff.

An homage would be crediting the original artist/writer for straight up jacking their panel layout. But since they're stealing the Watchmen characters from Moore, they might as well steal everything else from the comic and claim it as an homage.

And again, this is comparing the killing of Rorschach to loving Pandora.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gaz-L posted:

Also, for gently caress's sake, DC, if you actually want to pretend like the Trinity all matter equally, launch a print Sensation Comics.

They had that recently. It wasn't in continuity, but it was still pretty good. Wonder Woman short stories done by a variety of writers and artists.

The sad thing is though is that Wonder Woman really DOESN'T matter anymore, though she should. Hopefully Rucka can help on that but until DC decides 'hey we want Wonder Woman to ACTUALLY BE IMPORTANT' she's really not going to be.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a decent homage but it would have been much better with the original coloring followed rather than using DC House Colorist #432.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think it's a cool homage. And good riddance to that character.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Endless Mike posted:

It's a decent homage but it would have been much better with the original coloring followed rather than using DC House Colorist #432.

which wouldn't have looked out of place in the middle of the book at allllll

also the sloppy beej to watchmen actually manages to be slightly more infuriating than the 30 year reacharound they've been giving DKR and Killing Joke, its impressive

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Pandora is honestly such a shame of a character. She had potential if they actually took the time to work on developing her, but she was a living macguffin that was quickly forgotten in the grand scheme of things. I highly doubt anyone will miss her and I'm pretty positive most forgot her existence until Rebirth brought it back for a hot second.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Literally The Worst posted:

which wouldn't have looked out of place in the middle of the book at allllll

also the sloppy beej to watchmen actually manages to be slightly more infuriating than the 30 year reacharound they've been giving DKR and Killing Joke, its impressive

Alan Moore and Frank Miller used the four-color, kid-friendly insanity of the golden/silver age for inspiration to craft mature, often shocking stories featuring superheroes but in the thirty years since DC has chased that dragon so hard that the Moore and Miller of today cannot exist. They can't have that genuine reaction to the 'established' core of superheroes because today the 'core' is a slavish, shallow imitation of the original genuine reactions in the 80s.

Like Snyder's pretty good and all. But his Batman is a copy of a copy, an unironic imitation of a deliberate inversion of the way comics haven't actually been in decades. Who is reading these books today that's going to be able to twist them into something on the caliber of Watchmen? A reaction to a reaction to a reaction to something nobody actually remembers anymore.

I guess what I'm saying is comics are doing the worst possible job to seed their creative future by relentlessly devouring and regurgitating their creative past

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
oi don't say comics when you mean dc. dc is the one jacking their past off with one hand and writing with the other. dc is the one that got called out on it ten years early in DKSA. DC is the one who put out a comic in 2016 that's mostly an "homage" to watchmen by a writer who missed the point spectacularly.

gently caress this idiot rear end company

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Literally The Worst posted:

oi don't say comics when you mean dc.

sorry this is the DC thread and all of the comics I read are DC

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Travis343 posted:

sorry this is the DC thread and all of the comics I read are DC

You monster

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Norns posted:

Cyborg sucks and I'd rather have Martian Manhunter or Plastic Man with the JL. They keep trying to shove loving Cyborg in, and it just would be better with anyone really.

My man.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SynthOrange posted:

You monster

Hail Hydra ;)

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

X-O posted:

Dan Abnett is exclusive for DC now. So good news for Marvel.

Okay so this may show my rear end a bit, but I'm going to ask anyways. I've been out of comics for a long time. Just recently got back into them, but I've stuck to filling holes in my collection and reading hardcover that I pick up for cheap.
Why does everyone hate Abnett? I've only read his Nova stuff and I enjoyed it (Richard Rider is one of my favorite Marvel characters).

I don't plan on going hog-wild like I did, but I'm going to buy all of Rebirth and maybe a couple of titles.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SeannieDarko posted:

Okay so this may show my rear end a bit, but I'm going to ask anyways. I've been out of comics for a long time. Just recently got back into them, but I've stuck to filling holes in my collection and reading hardcover that I pick up for cheap.
Why does everyone hate Abnett? I've only read his Nova stuff and I enjoyed it (Richard Rider is one of my favorite Marvel characters).

I don't plan on going hog-wild like I did, but I'm going to buy all of Rebirth and maybe a couple of titles.

I explained above. He's just written a string of really bad comics in my opinion. And his good stuff was years ago when he was still a writing duo with Lanning.

Also all of Rebirth was literally the one issue. It's not an event.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I don't hate Abnett. I really liked his Warhammer 40k novels and I've heard good things about his early Guardians of the Galaxy. It's just his latest stuff has been decent at best, and overall pretty bad.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

X-O posted:

I explained above. He's just written a string of really bad comics in my opinion. And his good stuff was years ago when he was still a writing duo with Lanning.

Also all of Rebirth was literally the one issue. It's not an event.

They're not doing one-shots before starting the on-goings with issue 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SeannieDarko posted:

They're not doing one-shots before starting the on-goings with issue 1?

Well yeah, but I'd think of those more as 0 issues kind of teasing what the series is about. It's not a continuing event or anything.