Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Slime posted:

How would the cars/planes even get repaired? THEY DON'T HAVE loving HANDS.

In Cars 1 some RV's are apparently using a barbecue and what appears to beer-cans. :derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pilchenstein posted:

The noises that loving iPad was making in Preacher drove me up the wall.

Pretty sure that was the point considering what happened to it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Pretty sure that was the point considering what happened to it.
Hah, true.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

How does Hedonismbot afford all of his extravagant stuff?

Commissioning operas. Duh.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Pilchenstein posted:

The noises that loving iPad was making in Preacher drove me up the wall.

As a fan of the comics, I have to ask...was it any good?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The fans of the comic don't seem to think so.

Most critics like it though.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I haven't read the comics so I can't tell you how it compared but yeah, I enjoyed it. I'd watch Joe Gilgun read the phone book though.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I've read the comics and I enjoyed it. Cassidy is just the best thing.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I've read the comics and I enjoyed it.
Same.

It is enjoyably solid.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Littlefinger has the best plot armor in any show ever.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tunicate posted:

It's like Tinny Tim and Orphanbot from futurama

Those are intentionally absurd though. The fact that all those ridiculous robots exist is a joke in itself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tiggum posted:

Those are intentionally absurd though. The fact that all those ridiculous robots exist is a joke in itself.

My favorite will always be Billionaire Bot, the robot designed and built for the sole purpose of being a billionaire.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

They'd have to have human slaves like in Maximum Overdrive.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cowslips Warren posted:

Littlefinger has the best plot armor in any show ever.

Don't you mean Ramsay? He straight up murders the most powerful man in the region and everyone just kinda goes along with it. Including a guy who was upset about his own dad getting murdered.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

Don't you mean Ramsay? He straight up murders the most powerful man in the region and everyone just kinda goes along with it. Including a guy who was upset about his own dad getting murdered.

But said guy whose dad (Karstark, right?) was murdered hated anyone who liked the Starks. So he was fine with hating the Starks. He probably liked Roose but when you're standing next to a guy who just knived his dad in the gut, you clearly take his side not the dad's. Compared to Umber who didn't like Roose period, felt he was a oval office, but whatever, here's the last Stark heir, Ramsay, you take care of him....?

Compared to Littlefinger who has hosed over every major family, often is in striking range of a member of that family, and every loving time they let him walk away. There was NO loving reason for Sansa to let him walk away when she has loving Brienne right there to cut his rear end down, especially with Sansa thinking he knowingly walked her into a Ramsay Rape trap. He's already shown himself to be an enemy but no, Sansa will lie about him and send her main protection awayand Littlefinger walks again.

The funny thing is, for Sansa, being locked in the tower was probably the only odd thing about the marriage. Husbands owned wives, it wasn't considered raping them, and leaving bruises, well, gently caress, it happens. Had she been married to Roose instead, I doubt there would have been beatings and being locked in the tower, but the nightly visits, or even weekly visits, might have still left her in shock.

Man I am so sick of the Bran story. Has there ever been a more whiny character?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

Pit Crew cars exist in the movie. so probably slower versions of those or maybe they have an automated factory with non sentient robots.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

But... who made the robots? :tinfoil:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's robots all the way down

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Inzombiac posted:

But... who made the robots? :tinfoil:

iEhovah, obviously.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Wild T posted:

iEhovah, obviously.

Oh my god.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wild T posted:

iEhovah, obviously.

:golfclap:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I want someone to make a prequel to the Cars films that shows how they killed all the humans and bulldozed them into mass graves. Might not make for an attraction at Disney World, though.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Yes, that's what the Hebrews thought.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-Men Apocalypse:
The thing that wakes Apocalypse up after like 5000 years is sunlight hitting the gold device thing that the cultists worship. Sunlight has really never struck that thing before? They've never had a cultist running late one day, and opened up the door while the sun was in position to shine down the cave?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in Xmen and 9999 other movies

Totally unnecessarily complex impossible jet/space ship/ hovercraft

:j:can you fly this thing
:v: Sure, why not
*flies it perfectly, does complex maneuvers that would take tons of training and practice using unfamiliar controls of unique prototype*

It added nothing to the movie and was pointless other than cool whizbang vehicle CGI

Tsolum
Jun 12, 2013
X-Men Days of Future Past

Near the end, future time is fighting all the robots, and they're going WE NEED MORE TIME, but Wolverine hadn't done anything in like, twenty minutes. He got all wired up and dumped in the water. It doesn't really matter when he wakes up, the past had already been changed. He had no impact on what was happening.

Also, that Magneto felt the need to be like "yo, these murderbots are under mutant control, we're better than y'all, gently caress youuuuu" instead of just going all low-key, letting the murderbots look like they went out of control and then having that ruin the reputation of the guy that made them. Nope. Gotta grand stand and give everyone a real good reason to hate the mutants.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Trent posted:

*flies it perfectly, does complex maneuvers that would take tons of training and practice using unfamiliar controls of unique prototype*

It added nothing to the movie and was pointless other than cool whizbang vehicle CGI

Plane controls are fairly standardized, I imagine. It's a government plane in the movie, not some weird alien thing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Trent posted:

I like when it's a character from the far future trying to pilot a relatively mundane plane like it's really a comparison. "I can fly a time machine spaceship, how hard can a jumbo jet be?" With how streamlined the controls would have become by 500 years in the future, even since now, it should be like going back to trying to drive the Ford Model T.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tsolum posted:

X-Men Days of Future Past

Near the end, future time is fighting all the robots, and they're going WE NEED MORE TIME, but Wolverine hadn't done anything in like, twenty minutes. He got all wired up and dumped in the water. It doesn't really matter when he wakes up, the past had already been changed. He had no impact on what was happening.

Also, that Magneto felt the need to be like "yo, these murderbots are under mutant control, we're better than y'all, gently caress youuuuu" instead of just going all low-key, letting the murderbots look like they went out of control and then having that ruin the reputation of the guy that made them. Nope. Gotta grand stand and give everyone a real good reason to hate the mutants.

It would have been hard to play it off as the robots just going haywire for no reason since he also just dropped a football stadium on top of the White House.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
That's kind of Magneto's thing, isn't it? He wants people to fear and respect mutants, and is over the top about how they're superior and the next step of humanity.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

That's kind of Magneto's thing, isn't it? He wants people to fear and respect mutants, and is over the top about how they're superior and the next step of humanity.

And then The Blob walks past and he just sighs.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aphrodite posted:

Plane controls are fairly standardized, I imagine. It's a government plane in the movie, not some weird alien thing.

That plane has VTOL and segmented flappy bird wings. It was 'government' in the same way Weapon X was government.

Regardless, maybe maybe someone who can fly a c130 could fly a f14 or whatever real-world comparison you'd like to make, but they sure won't be doing any fancy maneuvers.

The real reason it's so irritating is that it usually adds nothing to the movie. At least in something like ID4 it's integral to the plot, and at least in EP7 they bang the poo poo out of the xwing even with the hotshotest of pilots

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

There's a deleted scene in ID4 where Smith, Goldblum and some of the Area 51 guys talk about the modifications to the alien ship so he could fly it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I got the ID4 book as a gift and, you know, it wasn't that bad.

Yeah, I was surprised as well. All the stupid poo poo in the movie actually had some pretty decent (for sci fi) justifications*.

Area 51 had spent half a century working on the fallen craft and had figured out a hell of a lot, despite not being able to duplicate its power source. Then they had several days of it being fully operational to further their knowledge.

Even then, the ships were designed to be as simple as possible to fly because the aliens basically never upgraded their poo poo and were extremely paranoid about each other. That's why the one big ship powered everything, controlled all the other ships' shields, and was the only one sending out the countdown signal.

All the attack craft were just uneducated cannon fodder, capable of nothing more than pressing buttons and killing people. The marines, basically. But with less rape.

* Yes, even the "virus" they uploaded into the mothership. Even though it was a pretty big stretch.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 17:52 on May 29, 2016

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Polaron posted:

I actually own a copy of the original script (signed by Brosnan because why NOT have him sign a copy of The World Is Not Enough of all of his movies) and the line actually used to be worse:

CHRISTMAS: You know James. . . I think Christmas is coming early this year.

It's even worse than that I think it's “looks like Christmas is coming twice this year" or something as stupid as that.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
The dumbest thing about ID4 is still that they sent air superiority fighters up first. Like it's possible an infantry division may have been less useful but I suspect even they would have some long-range explodey stuff at their disposal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Trent posted:

That plane has VTOL and segmented flappy bird wings. It was 'government' in the same way Weapon X was government.

Regardless, maybe maybe someone who can fly a c130 could fly a f14 or whatever real-world comparison you'd like to make, but they sure won't be doing any fancy maneuvers.

The real reason it's so irritating is that it usually adds nothing to the movie. At least in something like ID4 it's integral to the plot, and at least in EP7 they bang the poo poo out of the xwing even with the hotshotest of pilots

Pfft, aesthetics. It flew like a normal plane.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Byzantine posted:

There's a deleted scene in ID4 where Smith, Goldblum and some of the Area 51 guys talk about the modifications to the alien ship so he could fly it.

Just stick some post -its on the controls so you know what's what.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

trick is to pull instead of push. its like playing Descent when youre used to playing Wing Commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Snapchat A Titty posted:

trick is to pull instead of push.

Like masturbating. Now I get it