Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I mean I'm glad that NPC's are brain dead and don't sit there and spin any more.

That said NPC's that spam shield cells and chaff?

What other game would it be okay if NPC's -- who exist to be killed -- sat there and spammed health potions and stuns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
The question is: do they get infinite chaff/cells like they do ammo?

If yes, that's some double bullshit.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
That's my thing. I'm fine with them being ramped up a bit, they were a bit too easy.

But making them smarter on top of arming them with mod that no one in game can even get yet is just loving :frontear: to hell and back.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

That's my thing. I'm fine with them being ramped up a bit, they were a bit too easy.

But making them smarter on top of arming them with mod that no one in game can even get yet is just loving :frontear: to hell and back.

And if you don't fork out for Horizons you never will :allears:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

That's just brilliant marketing, really.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Crazyeyes24 posted:

The question is: do they get infinite chaff/cells like they do ammo?

If yes, that's some double bullshit.

Well, it'd take several minutes for an NPC to expend their chaff ammo so it's hard to tell.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Anyone get interdicted by Thargoids yet?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

And if you don't fork out for Horizons you never will :allears:

If you don't have Horizons, you don't get the engineer upgrades?

Also how is the RES paying out now?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

Currently the various Engineers can only be found at various planetary bases, so you need Horizons to land on them.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm about breaking even on bounties and repairs, with enough left over for a space-coffee in the station lobby.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Wow has that mission board ever changed :monocle:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

Seems alright? 74k from a Federation dropship in a HighRez, 104k from an AspE in a Haz.

E: By alright I mean they seem about what they were pre-patch. I'd like it if a ship having a goddamn shield cell doubled its bounty. :argh:

Arrath fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 27, 2016

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 362 days!
One of the engineers wants meta-alloys before she'll do anything for you. Don't bother going yet - barnacles are bugged and none of the pillars are spawning, even in solo. It's currently impossible to get meta-alloys.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Goddamnit I just came back from a long break and sold a big stack of those as I was still parked outside a wrecked 'conda in the rear end end of nowhere.

Did anything ever come of those barnacles and distress signals, and the station services failing and whatnot?

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 362 days!
Of course - there's been a wide variety of community loving goals on the subject

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

TRON JEREMY posted:

One of the engineers wants meta-alloys before she'll do anything for you. Don't bother going yet - barnacles are bugged and none of the pillars are spawning, even in solo. It's currently impossible to get meta-alloys.

lol

Also the other FSD engineer wants Soontil Relics and word has it they don't sell them no 'mo.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

TRON JEREMY posted:

You can, however, get them from various NPC cargo haulers and as mission rewards though.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

KakerMix posted:

You can, however, get them from various NPC cargo haulers and as mission rewards though.

another RNG! :haw:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I want to feel like I've EARNED these meta alloys, you see.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 362 days!
it's kind of fun waiting. merope is a parking lot. somebody got their scarab stuck under my ship

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
Did anyone else get some extra credits?

I compared it with what I had in a screenshot from March. I didn't do much earning since then.
I have about 40-45 million more credits than I did when I last played. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The official forums have set me straight. The AI is actually still too easy, slightly, rewards for killing them are too high, and all I really need to do is "git gud".

It's like a forum full of YouTube comments.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 362 days!

just chillin'

with nine other people

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
So RES is now not very good because of NPCs being able to mount equipment you don't have and wreck you with no reward increase. Robigo has been nuked from orbit so that's dead. How are new mission rewards? Because it sounds like trading is it which if I want to loving truck I play ES2 or buy ATS.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The barnacles might be tapped out, according to cryptic hints from Fdev dropped to specific groups. There might be fresh barnacles somewhere but no one is sure yet, or if anyone knows they are not telling.

You can now find MAs in the holds of random trucker NPCs like the rest of the commodities you need for engineers, you can also get them as mission rewards.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Is there any stations in Li Yong space that has a good mix of trading and combat missions? I'm interested in setting up somewhere.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 362 days!
COMBO BREAKER

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I think bounties are less. Took out a dangerous Anaconda and it was $110K with a full kill-warrant scan. I would have expected closer to $150 before I think.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
So let me get this straight, getting meta alloys from barnacles, a fun and thematically appropriate thing to do, and which exposes new players to things they might not have done before, has been replaced by grinding npcs for random drops.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

rex rabidorum vires posted:

So RES is now not very good because of NPCs being able to mount equipment you don't have and wreck you with no reward increase. Robigo has been nuked from orbit so that's dead. How are new mission rewards? Because it sounds like trading is it which if I want to loving truck I play ES2 or buy ATS.

Until you get interdicted by superAI.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

So RES is now not very good because of NPCs being able to mount equipment you don't have and wreck you with no reward increase.

Best compromise I found is to do HiRes and tag along behind the cops to join in on their kills, but it's not very satisfying when 4 anacondas are kicking the poo poo out of all comers and you're just stealing scraps off the table.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

slidebite posted:

I think bounties are less. Took out a dangerous Anaconda and it was $110K with a full kill-warrant scan. I would have expected closer to $150 before I think.

Nah some high-rank Anacondas had bounties in the 80-100k range even before the patch.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Hierophant posted:

So let me get this straight, getting meta alloys from barnacles, a fun and thematically appropriate thing to do, and which exposes new players to things they might not have done before, has been replaced by grinding npcs for random drops.

Realism!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Mission Complete

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Is there any stations in Li Yong space that has a good mix of trading and combat missions? I'm interested in setting up somewhere.

Seek ye out LHS 20 and Borr. They are close as gently caress and between those system's stations (HIgh tech and LYR space) you can find many many many modules and ships for cheap.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

What the poo poo is it that this game still has a devoted group of people that want it more punishing? Is this just the same "I got my billions early and now I want to be the Elite:Dangerous oligarch" or something?

I hate to keep feeling like I'm shitposting in this thread but Elite hurts me. It is so close to being awesome, if they could just give it character and make it feel sensible to play a few hours a week and not cater to grognards (who for argument I assume are already in min-maxed anacondas and only fight when they know they'll win) who tell me I'm "playing the game wrong" because I want to fly a Clipper before dumping 200 hours into the lifeless husk.

Frontier please bring back Robigo and then balance all progress to +/- 20% of that instead of Robigo being like +200% the rest of the game. Nothing kills me like "Trading is good (if you have a 120mil ship and load out)!" "Bounty hunting is easy money (with a 70mil full kitted ship in these circumstances)!"

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

radintorov posted:

Currently the various Engineers can only be found at various planetary bases, so you need Horizons to land on them.

That's understandable but still kinda blows.

Arrath posted:

Seems alright? 74k from a Federation dropship in a HighRez, 104k from an AspE in a Haz.

E: By alright I mean they seem about what they were pre-patch. I'd like it if a ship having a goddamn shield cell doubled its bounty. :argh:

Was hoping for a bump but at least it didn't go down I guess? :shrug:

So RES is now not very good because of NPCs being able to mount equipment you don't have and wreck you with no reward increase.

This however is some hot garbage.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Panch posted:

What the poo poo is it that this game still has a devoted group of people that want it more punishing? Is this just the same "I got my billions early and now I want to be the Elite:Dangerous oligarch" or something?

I hate to keep feeling like I'm shitposting in this thread but Elite hurts me. It is so close to being awesome, if they could just give it character and make it feel sensible to play a few hours a week and not cater to grognards (who for argument I assume are already in min-maxed anacondas and only fight when they know they'll win) who tell me I'm "playing the game wrong" because I want to fly a Clipper before dumping 200 hours into the lifeless husk.

Frontier please bring back Robigo and then balance all progress to +/- 20% of that instead of Robigo being like +200% the rest of the game. Nothing kills me like "Trading is good (if you have a 120mil ship and load out)!" "Bounty hunting is easy money (with a 70mil full kitted ship in these circumstances)!"

Just the usual brand of people who equate inconvenience with "Hardcore difficulty". See also, item durability in the vast majority of games with item durability.

You know, people who will tell you that you don't need credits for anything, such as exploring. Then dismiss you if you if you so much as point out that gas and fuelscoops cost credits.

Very rarely will anyone telling you to just suck it up in a stock sidewinder and "Just enjoy the game, anything else means you are a mindless grinder :smug:", be in a position where they are stuck in a sidewinder. Though I am sure there is at least one dedicated player who has hit triple elite piloting nothing but a Stock Sidewinder the whole time.

But really, that kind of mentality can be found in every game with anything approaching tangible progress to be had. With the same defensiveness. Even shooters like Hawken back when I was playing it. "Levels and credits should take longer to gain! Also the Air Dash part that is level gated if you don't buy it early with Real Money is hot garbage we swear!" "My KDR literally flipped from negative 2, to positive 2 with the entire enemy team dominated about two hours after unlocking it" "Pfft, doesn't count! INCREASE the Grind!"

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Section Z posted:

Just the usual brand of people who equate inconvenience with "Hardcore difficulty". See also, item durability in the vast majority of games with item durability.

You know, people who will tell you that you don't need credits for anything, such as exploring. Then dismiss you if you if you so much as point out that gas and fuelscoops cost credits.

Very rarely will anyone telling you to just suck it up in a stock sidewinder and "Just enjoy the game, anything else means you are a mindless grinder :smug:", be in a position where they are stuck in a sidewinder. Though I am sure there is at least one dedicated player who has hit triple elite piloting nothing but a Stock Sidewinder the whole time.

But really, that kind of mentality can be found in every game with anything approaching tangible progress to be had. With the same defensiveness. Even shooters like Hawken back when I was playing it. "Levels and credits should take longer to gain! Also the Air Dash part that is level gated if you don't buy it early with Real Money is hot garbage we swear!" "My KDR literally flipped from negative 2, to positive 2 with the entire enemy team dominated about two hours after unlocking it" "Pfft, doesn't count! INCREASE the Grind!"

I suppose when I posted I more or less knew this, but you've hit the nail on the head. I have no problem making the Cutter and things like that take a lot of time and effort. I agree with the base premise that a little bit of "grind" can enrich the reward, but when the grind is balanced against "I play 10 hours every day" instead of "I have a house and a full time job" it's infuriating.

The exploration thing is super annoying. I tried to explore (I guess because I love horrible procedural generation) in earlier ships, but a 60mil~ kitted Asp is so crazy heads and tails above anything else it feels insane to "enjoy" exploring in literally anything else. And it circles back around to grinding just to get to the dumb lifeless activity I'm trying to enjoy!

I promise I'll be positive now and only post good things about Elite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
There's a follow-up CG, also at Skvortsov. The launcher is dumb, and mentions it in two seperate articles. One says is starts on May 26, the other says it ends on May 26.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/5747284b9657ba83162ffc95

(Deliver water purifiers, HE suits, and coffee to Skvortsov)

Also, just FYI, I am awesome, and personally delivered over 5 kiltons of Narcotics for the previous CG (and got 3 million spacebucks for finishing in the top 10%).

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 27, 2016

• Locked thread