Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Sherlock Holmes is the original shounen protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

He is the protagonist of a shounen manga that isn't a harem love comedy. Dude is effectively a eunuch.

protagonists of harem love comedies in shounen magazines are eunuchs as well though...:japan:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
He basically is the Sherlock Holmes of cooking manga.

Does that make Isshiki Mycroft?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

K. Flaps posted:

Really glad we had 5 chapters full of the boring rear end fight between protagonist and the ingredient fucker just to skip two shokugekis with actual fun characters in them.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
New Chapter in Glorious Potato Quality: http://mangafast.online/manga/shokugeki-no-soma/167/1

Azami's system sounds like a billion times better as an educational institution than Senzubean's if random unnamed students are making Elite 10 level dishes, where previously they were just failing out. The fact that all the students COULD make E10 level dishes and weren't pretty much tells you the faculty apparently loving sucked before Azami took over and that Azami's apparently just a better principal than Senzubean was.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The ideal would be to keep the original school push for creativity and personality while removing the crazy shonen "everybody gets expelled" thing that doesn't work in real life.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The ideal would be to keep the original school push for creativity and personality while removing the crazy shonen "everybody gets expelled" thing that doesn't work in real life.

If only they had a competitive council of the ultra skilled and a procedure for determining whose dish is better.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

New Chapter in Glorious Potato Quality: http://mangafast.online/manga/shokugeki-no-soma/167/1

Azami's system sounds like a billion times better as an educational institution than Senzubean's if random unnamed students are making Elite 10 level dishes, where previously they were just failing out. The fact that all the students COULD make E10 level dishes and weren't pretty much tells you the faculty apparently loving sucked before Azami took over and that Azami's apparently just a better principal than Senzubean was.

anyone can follow a recipe.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I guess the moral here is that no one's ever tried actually teaching the kids before.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elfgames posted:

anyone can follow a recipe.

That's not in fact true.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Both methods have a large amount of flaws. Like the fact that Azami is going to cut out anyone that does not agree with him.

None of the student cast seems to be against the not being expelled thing.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

That's not in fact true.

i'm sorry

Everyone who has been accepted to literally the top cooking school in the whole world can follow a recepie, this is basically like getting a phd in cooking.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That was a pretty nothing chapter. And while I get the thing about how it doesn't matter Central doesn't fail people since no one actually improves from just copying (even if that's not realistic its consistent with everything the manga's done) I don't think it's beneficial to the story to keep bringing up how the old system flunked 100 students each month.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Potato quality:

http://mangafast.online/manga/shokugeki-no-soma/168/1

Erina backstory time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Goddamn, the old man was almost as bad a parent as Azami. What a hateful family.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
A functional family unit doesn't create drama! Of course it has to be dysfunctional or broken or some kind of not-normal. Unless you're talking about disgusting slice of life stories, you disgusting normy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Senzaimon was just as willing as Azami to exploit a child for that god's tongue silliness. The only adult who treated her well during her childhood was some guy she met once who made her a tasty meal. It is no wonder she became fixated on him.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
IDK, it seems like it really got worse after she met Souma's dad and that's when her grandpa went, "what the gently caress"

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Way I read it grandpa wasn't a bad person, just a weak parent. In the first part he was like "shouldn't you take a break" and Erina's like "no this is my job" and he wasn't capable of telling her that no, you gotta stop at some point, or identifying the issues that were growing within her.

Which is not really surprising, he's an old japanese dude, traditional gender roles make it super likely he barely had a hand in raising his own kid in first place.

And of course this too meant he was too weak to deny Azami.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 27, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Compendium posted:

IDK, it seems like it really got worse after she met Souma's dad and that's when her grandpa went, "what the gently caress"

She was already sort of a jerk even before her dad's training.

Granted she was also a kid.

Also her thinking Azami has a point seems hella elitist cause most people don't have her Tongue of God.

"Oh my tongue can taste these small imperfections that most people won't detect, clearly cooking is flawed."

I mean, I can understand her thinking cooking needs to be improved, but I dunno how Azami's regime is actually gonna change this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He is the one who allowed her childhood routine consisting of eating mediocre food all day every day in the first place. I mean, they established that he was able to break all that poo poo up in the same chapter they introduced it. He was only willing to do it for his own benefit though, because he had a friend coming over to cook for him and Erina wasn't invited.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
She got to eat with them though?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's hosed up that she got abused so badly she thinks her abuser had a point.

poo poo like that happens in real life too, though, so I can't really consider it unrealistic I guess.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Compendium posted:

Yeah, but he originally didn't invite her and it seemed more like Jyoichiro's idea than anything.

He even asked her to go back at first because it was a private meeting.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, good point.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Long story short anime needs more moms.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kyte posted:

Long story short anime needs more moms.

Alice's mom supports your theory.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
For a manga about a not!poo poo dad cooking with love for his daughter, there's Sweetness and Lightning which is also gonna be an anime soon that should heal the soul

VVVVV

He didn't even know they were cancelled, which already proves the point about how thoughtless he is so yeah

Compendium fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 27, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Compendium posted:

She wandered in on her own and Senzaimon tried to send her away. Like, the dude didn't even bother to tell her that her appointments for the day were cancelled. He cancelled them because he wanted some privacy and didn't give a Erina a second thought.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Erina's sole caregivers were a neglector and an abuser. Sheesh, no wonder she came down with the tsundere.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

She wandered in on her own and Senzaimon tried to send her away. Like, the dude didn't even bother to tell her that her appointments for the day were cancelled. He cancelled them because he wanted some privacy and didn't give a Erina a second thought.

I really don't think he's malicious, I think he just had no notion of how he was damaging Erina or how to parent at all. Again, old japanese dude. They didn't do that stuff.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Compendium posted:

For a manga about a not!poo poo dad cooking with love for his daughter, there's Sweetness and Lightning which is also gonna be an anime soon that should heal the soul

VVVVV

He didn't even know they were cancelled, which already proves the point about how thoughtless he is so yeah

Seconding the Sweetness and LIghtning read which is very very very very good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kyte posted:

I really don't think he's malicious, I think he just had no notion of how he was damaging Erina or how to parent at all. Again, old japanese dude. They didn't do that stuff.

He wasn't actively malicious. Child neglectors rarely are. He just didn't give two shits about Erina's wellbeing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

He didn't. The client canceled. He can't have both canceled her tastings and been unaware that her tastings were canceled, come on.

Of course he tried to send her away because she wasn't invited, that's basic courtesy, especially when you're filthy stinking rich and have somewhere to send the children.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
There's also Cooking Papa for good nice dad cook man, but everyone will die before there's even a dent in translating it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Compendium posted:

VVVVV

I'm gonna watch it.

Anyway i'm a bit disappointed Soma is going to restore Erina's faith in cooking rather than Alice even though they have more of a relationship. Although, I guess it's a good thing to have Erina accept Soma's cooking now rather than keep it as a thing for another arc or two. Since it's already been a thing for too long and Erina's become a much nicer and cooler person so it's sort of unnecessary right now. I really don't want another few chapters on a Soma dish though. Other people need some good cooking focus.

About the Senzaemon thing though, this was still in the time-frame when Azami was still a part of the family, right? So yeah, it's pretty sucky of him too not realise that his son-in-law is awful and that he should get his granddaughter away from him. I think he's the one who ends up kicking Azami out though, so he eventually wises up but he could have done to figure that out sooner.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

He wasn't actively malicious. Child neglectors rarely are. He just didn't give two shits about Erina's wellbeing.
Oh come off it. For gently caress's sake apply some context.

The guy doesn't know how to dad. He probably has no drat idea of the problem. As far as he can tell Erina's fine and healthy, so all's good, no? (No of course not but he can't tell otherwise)

And then Azami happens.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Like, if what Erina is experiencing there is abuse via neglect then the children of pretty much every upper class household on Earth are probably being abused via neglect.

Actually that might explain a lot.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Compendium posted:

There's also Cooking Papa for good nice dad cook man, but everyone will die before there's even a dent in translating it

The 20 or so chapters that are available are pretty great, though.

Out of like a thousand :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

paragon1 posted:

He didn't. The client canceled. He can't have both canceled her tastings and been unaware that her tastings were canceled, come on.

Of course he tried to send her away because she wasn't invited, that's basic courtesy, especially when you're filthy stinking rich and have somewhere to send the children.

He cancelled her tastings because he wanted privacy but didn't bother to inform Erina. In other words, he wasn't thinking about her at all. That is also why I don't buy the whole "didn't know how to raise children" thing. If he had been well-meaning but clueless, why did he immediately put her to work? Did he raise his own children that way, too? He thought about Erina exactly enough to have her be useful to him and no further. Now that she is useful to Azami instead he went and made a heartfelt plea to have someone else do something about it.

gently caress that guy.