Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron

anthonypants posted:

We already have a domain, we're not using dcpromo.

Not sure if you've missed the point or I, but dcpromo is how all DC operations can be undertaken from the cmd line including removing DCs from the Domain (other than just turning it off and acting surprised)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732887(v=ws.11).aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

bull3964 posted:

Because you have a bunch of cross replicated data and the members that aren't rolled back with a snapshot are going say "Who the gently caress is this amnesiac impostor who claims to be our friend?" Or worse yet, some of them start believing its story and they get into a nasty argument about what really is real anyways.

Schrodinger's Domain

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Because you have a bunch of cross replicated data and the members that aren't rolled back with a snapshot are going say "Who the gently caress is this amnesiac impostor who claims to be our friend?" Or worse yet, some of them start believing its story and they get into a nasty argument about what really is real anyways.

So is it only truly dangerous if you have multiple DCs?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

stubblyhead posted:

It can gently caress up your computer accounts too, depending on how old the snapshots are and when the computer last talked to the DC.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

stubblyhead posted:

Remember that DCs are also authentication servers and domain name resolvers. If your servers are not syncing on time or DNS records don't match up properly, that leads to all kinds of Kerberos fuckery.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Iron_Chef posted:

Not sure if you've missed the point or I, but dcpromo is how all DC operations can be undertaken from the cmd line including removing DCs from the Domain (other than just turning it off and acting surprised)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732887(v=ws.11).aspx
If you are adding a new domain controller, you use dcpromo to "promote" the server to a "dc". You can do this if you have an existing domain, or if you're creating a brand new domain. When you're creating a new domain, you can, of course, specify the functional level, like if you're spinning up a 2012R2 box for your first DC but you also have some old 2008R2 boxes you'll use as DCs, so you'd set the functional level to 2008R2. All our DCs are 2008R2 and the 2003 servers were decommissioned long ago, so we're not using dcpromo.

If you're raising the functional level you go into Domains and Trusts and right-click the forest/domain and click Raise and Next and OK a couple times and you're good.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Sirotan posted:

:phone: Well they did order enough, but then the manager said MINE MINE MINE I NEED THEM ALL POWER POWER POWER.

FTFY

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

anthonypants posted:

If you are adding a new domain controller, you use dcpromo to "promote" the server to a "dc". You can do this if you have an existing domain, or if you're creating a brand new domain. When you're creating a new domain, you can, of course, specify the functional level, like if you're spinning up a 2012R2 box for your first DC but you also have some old 2008R2 boxes you'll use as DCs, so you'd set the functional level to 2008R2. All our DCs are 2008R2 and the 2003 servers were decommissioned long ago, so we're not using dcpromo.

If you're raising the functional level you go into Domains and Trusts and right-click the forest/domain and click Raise and Next and OK a couple times and you're good.

Sorry If I wasn't clear. the intent was to remove all but one DC, so that you can use a snapshot of your last DC as a rollback plan on your upgrade. You can use your favourite tool for that, but I don't know of any way to get a snapshot as part of a rollback plan without removing all but one DC.

Your alternative is to not use any snapshots in the rollback plan, which is probably best.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

My boss is super paranoid and for our upgrade to a 2008r2 forest/domain functional level he wants me to provide a rollback plan using snapshots and it seems like the worst idea

I upgraded our 2 domain controllers from 2008r2 to 2012 R2. Thankfully I didn't need to use a rollback because it went without a hitch. But my rollback consisted of taking snapshots while the domain controllers were powered off. The senior IT guy recommended that method to me even though I asked him if I could just isolate the 2 old domain controllers.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Nobody in our graphics department understands what a Retina screen is and why everything is tiny in Photoshop when you scale it to 100% and normal size on the web site.

"Should we make everything double the size in photoshop?"

:argh:

Reminds me of the newspaper I once worked at. About half the the graphics department didn't understand colour spaces, aspect ratio, pixel density or font kerning. Some how that was ITs problem with the general manger instructing me to just get the computers to fix it up.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

evobatman posted:

Salesperson spotted.

The past two days I've had one bitching at me because he hates his Windows phone because rah rah rah it doesn't do this, it doesn't do that, don't you know who I am I owned my own phone company for year and was regional manager for company rah rah rah.

Dude I don't give a poo poo, these are company standard phones which can make calls, use E-mail, and read calendars... go bark up your manager's tree if searching all calendar entries is that important to you.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Super Slash posted:

The past two days I've had one bitching at me because he hates his Windows phone because rah rah rah it doesn't do this, it doesn't do that, don't you know who I am I owned my own phone company for year and was regional manager for company rah rah rah.

Dude I don't give a poo poo, these are company standard phones which can make calls, use E-mail, and read calendars... go bark up your manager's tree if searching all calendar entries is that important to you.

Do what my org does: restrict almost all of the features on the phone, so it barely functions beyond the level of a dumbphone then claim you can't change anything because of 'security'

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

While raising a domains functional level seems scary at first I don't I've ever heard of this breaking anything. Not even once.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Gunjin posted:

"Immersive Telepresence". It's a thing, but a dying thing, as people realize that 500-700k per room, plus 10k+ in support and bandwidth bills per month aren't really worth it.

Something like this http://www.polycom.com/hd-video-conferencing/realpresence-immersive-video-telepresence.html

Scientists love their teleconferencing with this poo poo, they als love tinkering with the settings on their end and they're not aware that they're calling in on a service that CERN is providing (and is not managed by us).

gently caress teleconferencing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My colleague was talking, completely seriously, about his side job as an exorcist and healer. Ugh.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

nielsm posted:

My colleague was talking, completely seriously, about his side job as an exorcist and healer. Ugh.

Well, if you can make money off that then why the hell not?

(except for having a conscience, I guess)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sefal posted:

I upgraded our 2 domain controllers from 2008r2 to 2012 R2. Thankfully I didn't need to use a rollback because it went without a hitch. But my rollback consisted of taking snapshots while the domain controllers were powered off. The senior IT guy recommended that method to me even though I asked him if I could just isolate the 2 old domain controllers.

I've upgraded domain controllers a few times and it's always weirdly stressful given how straightforward it is.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

poo poo pissing me off:

Your Mac has been flagged by our audit for one of the following reasons: It does not have the correct version of OneDrive, OneDrive is not properly mapped, or you have more than one version of OneDrive installed. Please follow the steps below.

Thanks for opening a ticket on my behalf IT. I just asked them if I could delete that garbage since I'll never use it. I think they want to use it to rollout Munki stuff. Guess I might have to reformat my mac to get off the IT image this weekend.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I've upgraded domain controllers a few times and it's always weirdly stressful given how straightforward it is.

I'm the same way. I get super paranoid and afraid that everything is going to poo poo itself to death and then the upgrade just goes completely fine. I suppose it's good to prepare and plan as much as possible but I stress myself out way to much about it.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Crowley posted:

Anyone fancy a job on the west coast of Denmark? Government job with somewhat decent pay and excellent pension. A coworker quit for a lateral move to another job, and the pickings are kinda slim out here.

Houses are cheap out here, or just buy a farm, or an island. :v:

Okay the more I think about this the more tempting this is starting to become if you were serious, I don't have pm's but if the position hasn't been filled and depending on how senior a guy you need since I'm very much a junior at best send me an email at urgelos at gmail dot com

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tab8715 posted:

While raising a domains functional level seems scary at first I don't I've ever heard of this breaking anything. Not even once.
I'm like 90% convinced that I won't have to worry about appeasing my boss with snapshot rituals because I've yet to come across anything from anyone on the internet that says there's huge disastrous issues with this process, but I'm worried that we'll see something and it'll get blamed on our domain level and he'll flip out.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

anthonypants posted:

I'm like 90% convinced that I won't have to worry about appeasing my boss with snapshot rituals because I've yet to come across anything from anyone on the internet that says there's huge disastrous issues with this process, but I'm worried that we'll see something and it'll get blamed on our domain level and he'll flip out.

It's so risk free you can pretty much do it during hours without an issue (don't do this). The only snag you can hit is if you have some DCs that weren't decommissioned correctly, but a few commands to forcefully get rid of them don't take too long. If you have a dead DC with a FSMO you might spend an extra 10 minutes working that out.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pixaal posted:

It's so risk free you can pretty much do it during hours without an issue (don't do this). The only snag you can hit is if you have some DCs that weren't decommissioned correctly, but a few commands to forcefully get rid of them don't take too long. If you have a dead DC with a FSMO you might spend an extra 10 minutes working that out.
I'd really like to do it this weekend while the boss is out.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 27, 2016

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I am really starting to hate vCards and the Android implementation of contact management.
I have all my contacts stored as local phone contacts and that's working well enough. When I export them, I get a contact for every email google decided to make a contact on some google account, fluffing it to like 500 contacts. There is a menu option called "Share visible contacts", but it just allows me to manually select which contacts to "share". Is there any tool to actually access the storage format android uses internally to seperate the local phone contacts from everything else?

edit:

I think I'll try to just generate it from the sqlite database if google didn't gently caress up the database structure.

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 27, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

anthonypants posted:

Even if you have a worst case scenario it takes under an hour. Best case it takes 2 minutes. The tricky part is old DCs and figuring out if they are just powered off or you have to force remove them. FSMO seizing isn't even that difficult, and if you have a FSMO down you should fix it right this second and not whenever you migrate anyway.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

SEKCobra posted:

I am really starting to hate vCards and the Android implementation of contact management.
I have all my contacts stored as local phone contacts and that's working well enough. When I export them, I get a contact for every email google decided to make a contact on some google account, fluffing it to like 500 contacts. There is a menu option called "Share visible contacts", but it just allows me to manually select which contacts to "share". Is there any tool to actually access the storage format android uses internally to seperate the local phone contacts from everything else?

edit:

I think I'll try to just generate it from the sqlite database if google didn't gently caress up the database structure.

Holy gently caress how redundant is this poo poo, the contact name is several times in multiple tables. I give up, bloated 500 contact database it is forever.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

Holy gently caress how redundant is this poo poo, the contact name is several times in multiple tables. I give up, bloated 500 contact database it is forever.

I ran into this problem the other day when trying to export Android contacts to Exchange. Each number and address was given its own entry. So "Billy" has six entries, one each for Home, Business addresses, and one each for Home, Mobile, Work numbers, and aim handle.

I thought I had broken something terribad until I started searching for answers and found that that's apparently the norm.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds like typical database normalization to me. Normally it's done with a unique id for a key though.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

xzzy posted:

Sounds like typical database normalization to me. Normally it's done with a unique id for a key though.

Except that each row in that "database" already has columns for each of those entries.

It's not: Name | Phone Number | Address with multiple relationships back to "Billy" it's Name | Home Ph | Work Ph | Cell Ph | Work Addr | Home Addr and then each column filled out on a separate line.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well that's just special.

Databases sure are hard!

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

anthonypants posted:

Just do it, wait a month, then tell your boss you did it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SEKCobra posted:

I found it best to run the contacts through a third party program. I forget what I did, but I think sticking them in Outlook.com ended up with something that followed the normal rules of decency.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

organburner posted:

Okay the more I think about this the more tempting this is starting to become if you were serious, I don't have pm's but if the position hasn't been filled and depending on how senior a guy you need since I'm very much a junior at best send me an email at urgelos at gmail dot com

It's still open. I sent you a mail with the link.

FYI for people asking: I'm not the department head, We'll essentially be coworkers with overlapping fields of work.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I am realizing that I need a way to prevent unanswerable questions before they're asked. Had a minor replication latency issue. The question I am asked is, "is there a chance this could happen again?"

Of course there is. There's also a chance we lose a switch, an ESXi host fails, we experience unexpected I/O stalls on the SAN, and DNS explodes for no good reason on a domain controller and we need to build a new one. Things just happen. But I need to prevent this question from happening in the first place, because the very next step after "is there a chance this could happen again?" is opening tickets with Microsoft and EMC, a long conference call, a this and a that. No one wants to hear "who cares, it's just a fluke, it's probably fine" - I guess that makes me a bad sys admin, because I don't want to move heaven and earth every time something unexpected happens (without evidence of a larger issue).

Or should I simply check my integrity at the door and start being like "No. It is impossible for this to ever happen again." or what?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I respond with a car analogy that is basically summed up as "no computer system will not have issues" and quickly try to snuff it out. If that doesn't work I move the conversation to "I am confident we are using the best solution possible" and move on.

Your second option is too risky because all it will take is some gently caress that doesn't like you to remember the word "dns" and try to corner you the next time it's involved in a problem.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I am realizing that I need a way to prevent unanswerable questions before they're asked. Had a minor replication latency issue. The question I am asked is, "is there a chance this could happen again?"

Of course there is. There's also a chance we lose a switch, an ESXi host fails, we experience unexpected I/O stalls on the SAN, and DNS explodes for no good reason on a domain controller and we need to build a new one. Things just happen. But I need to prevent this question from happening in the first place, because the very next step after "is there a chance this could happen again?" is opening tickets with Microsoft and EMC, a long conference call, a this and a that. No one wants to hear "who cares, it's just a fluke, it's probably fine" - I guess that makes me a bad sys admin, because I don't want to move heaven and earth every time something unexpected happens (without evidence of a larger issue).

Or should I simply check my integrity at the door and start being like "No. It is impossible for this to ever happen again." or what?

Yes, it can happen again, but thankfully we employ redundant <service> and backup <service> just in case.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Crowley posted:

It's still open. I sent you a mail with the link.

FYI for people asking: I'm not the department head, We'll essentially be coworkers with overlapping fields of work.

Yeah it looks a bit beyond me but I'm probably gonna apply anyway if the pickings really are as slim as you say.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
poo poo pissing me off:

I work in remote locations. I am not involved with IT at all. We have a job trailer out in the middle of the bush with two thin pc's letting us access our Remote Desktop, an IP phone and a server rack with a half dozen units that's monitoring some pretty important poo poo. I walk in this morning to find that we have no internet connectivity for the phones or desktops. So I do what any normal person (I hope) would do: I call our help desk (our company does not use tickets for field employees).

A quick talk to our T1 help desk person quickly identified it as a network problem (obviously) and they transfer me to network support. Network support then has me power cycle a few things and every thing is working again. Yay! He then proceeds to chastise and belittle me for wasting his time with what was a simple power cycle. He seems surprised and annoyed that the first thing I did was call the help desk instead of just sticking my fingers into the networking gear and start flipping switches which, according to him, would have saved him from dropping what he was doing to deal with this issue.

Am I being irrationally irritated at his attitude or would you networking guys rather we start flipping switches before we call you?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Gorau posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

I work in remote locations. I am not involved with IT at all. We have a job trailer out in the middle of the bush with two thin pc's letting us access our Remote Desktop, an IP phone and a server rack with a half dozen units that's monitoring some pretty important poo poo. I walk in this morning to find that we have no internet connectivity for the phones or desktops. So I do what any normal person (I hope) would do: I call our help desk (our company does not use tickets for field employees).

A quick talk to our T1 help desk person quickly identified it as a network problem (obviously) and they transfer me to network support. Network support then has me power cycle a few things and every thing is working again. Yay! He then proceeds to chastise and belittle me for wasting his time with what was a simple power cycle. He seems surprised and annoyed that the first thing I did was call the help desk instead of just sticking my fingers into the networking gear and start flipping switches which, according to him, would have saved him from dropping what he was doing to deal with this issue.

Am I being irrationally irritated at his attitude or would you networking guys rather we start flipping switches before we call you?

No, you aren't being irrational and I would note the circumstances and turn it into your boss as something to use to gauge IT performance with. After all, randomly power cycling things beyond a computer or smart phone is NOT something I would expect the average non-IT user to understand how to do - or what ramifications there might be with Box A versus Box B getting power cycled.

Edit: Also, power cycling a computer is the hope of every desktop Tier 1 support agent. Reboot and works? Awesome, ticket closed in record time! There's no reason to be a complete dick about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you aren't a network person and you don't have a written troubleshooting instruction on the network gear, then yeah flipping random switches is not something you should do.