Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
I don't understand the crazy man's sign

quote:

JOHN KEY !
MOVE THE GATEKEEPERS
THEY'RE HARBOURING CORRUPTION
BLOCKING ACCESS TO THE ANZ BANK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
I can't quite make out the url on the other side.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

Reads like a conspiracy theorist http://passion0.wix.com/nourriture

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Specifically the kind brought on by schizophrenia.

Half formed sentences full of minutiae that never quite coalesce into a comprehensible plot and only superficially relate to their neighbours.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Red_Museum posted:

I can't quite make out the url on the other side.

I figured it out: http://passion0.wix.com/nourriture

quote:

Background to a Hamilton based private investigation into the 2010, 2011 collapse of the Thurston Group of companies

OPEN LETTER TO THE PRIME MINISTER OF NEW ZEALAND JOHN KEY

HOW STRAIGHT UP, HONEST IS THE PRIME MINISTER OF NEW ZEALAND? OVER THE COMING WEEKS WE WILL SEE. PLEASE READ THIS OPEN LETTER TO THE PRIME MINISTER JOHN KEY

It will take 2 hours to read, understand why 2013, 2014, 2015 Serious Fraud Office Senior party Graham Gill, Police Commissioner Mike Bush did not require today 2016 the Prime Minister John Key will not want the ANZ Bank to answer 10 questions attached to this letter. To be exposed following the ANZ Bank are required to answer those 10 questions not the largest 2010, 2011 $100 million corruption, the assets of the Thurston Group of companies, the parties ANZ Senior banker Kim von Lanthen, lawyer Bell Gully partner Hugh Kettle, accountant Richard Simpson but the most all-encompassing law firm Bell Gully, Serious Fraud Office, Police, New Zealand Law Society, Courts, (today a High Court Judge) cover-up ever contemplated/undertaken in New Zealand. A cover-up a smart investigation team has given time, three years to go horribly wrong, a cover-up today John Key will not allow to be exposed. Five years on a line in the sand has been drawn for the Prime Minister, those 10 questions will be answered by the ANZ Banking Group.

Dang it.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

quote:

post 22 April 2016 should no response have been received confirming a suitably qualified party acceptable to all will be supplied the required authorities to allow with urgency the ANZ 19 Bank to be formerly questioned (47 questions in total), action will be taken against the New Zealand Police. The assets have been identified where no personal harm to any party will occur. Those substantial assets will be destroyed. Prime Minister the Attorney- General Chris Finlayson can ask High Court Judge Susan Thomas how the inevitable fallout will be managed she will be able to inform him. No New Zealander should be required to put their life on the line to have the law applied but it was anticipated. At this point parties reading this letter should refer (121). Should it be required the ultimate sacrifice will be made.

literally threatening to blow up police buildings

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Its a two anniversary of my brain not being broke after many days awake and finally getting some meds to sleep and keep an even keel to try and live a good life.

I can only nod to you, unfortunately obviously mentally ill man with menacing apparent farm-bombtruck, and hope you don't do anything dumb and get some help.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Infinitely saner than the majority of NZ voters

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm pretty sure I didn't ruin careers to get where I am.

I'd hardly call posting on SA 'advancement'.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Jacobin posted:

Its a two anniversary of my brain not being broke after many days awake and finally getting some meds to sleep and keep an even keel to try and live a good life.

I can only nod to you, unfortunately obviously mentally ill man with menacing apparent farm-bombtruck, and hope you don't do anything dumb and get some help.

There's apparently an extra $12 million in this budget for mental health services. I have no idea how that compares to the current funding, but the display outside of parliament at the time is pretty damning.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

NZAmoeba posted:

There's apparently an extra $12 million in this budget for mental health services. I have no idea how that compares to the current funding, but the display outside of parliament at the time is pretty damning.

Any word on how that interacts with the Christchurch Earthquake-related mental health funding, which I think was an emergency temporary increase and has now ceased? Might not actually be a net gain as compared to last years level.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

NZAmoeba posted:

So the new budget is $12 million and one? nice.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

This reckons we spent 1.2b on mental health in 15/16 - http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/80271024/budget-2016-the-pressure-points--mental-health-in-new-zealand - so it's a rounding error.

And the Canterbury emergency boost was 20m, and this is National so the additional 12m in the Budget will include that.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

$40m on Social Housing, $178m on spies.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

This graph says a lot about this government:

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 26, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What halfwit put together a graph where 'other' is a larger quantity than all the rest by a huge margin? Like, that's some 12-y.o. science project-level shittyness.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

mirthdefect posted:

Any word on how that interacts with the Christchurch Earthquake-related mental health funding, which I think was an emergency temporary increase and has now ceased? Might not actually be a net gain as compared to last years level.

I'd be really interested to know this too.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Slavvy posted:

What halfwit put together a graph where 'other' is a larger quantity than all the rest by a huge margin? Like, that's some 12-y.o. science project-level shittyness.

Someone who wanted to show spending in the core areas? You can't really break that "other" up into any areas that would register as anything very meaningful.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Well, 'Other' is a core expense area defined by Treasury and it does in fact receive more funding than any other core expense area - the actual problem is that they've omitted Core Government Services and rolled its $4bil+ into Other to make it look like even the expenses that are increasing are drastically underfunded in comparison.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

cptn_dr posted:

$40m on Social Housing, $178m on spies.

Our american allies don't care about our social housing problem.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Slavvy posted:

I'd hardly call posting on SA 'advancement'.

I'll hit you with my gumboot mate.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clRNDB3BEUU&t=209s

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Some people are worried about the NZH and Stuff merger (or whatever their names are) and the loss of journalistic integrity but, really, we're already at the bottom.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Things in the budget: $3,000 for beneficiaries to move to Auckland for work.
Things not in the budget: $5,000 for beneficiaries to move out of Auckland for a home.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I want us to enter the ideal media feedback loop where hard working kiwis can't get jobs because lazy dole bludgers are taking all the jobs, turning hard working kiwis into dole bludgers etc ad infinitum.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Classic.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

truther posted:

Some people are worried about the NZH and Stuff merger (or whatever their names are) and the loss of journalistic integrity but, really, we're already at the bottom.

hey maybe her sexuality is relevant to the sto-hahahaha nope

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Winston should stay in parliament until he dies, just like, without any ability to influence anything.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Winston might be a little racist and I don't vote for him, but I really appreciate he is there to stir poo poo up because that poo poo needs a blender.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I really renounce most of my past serious or ironic forms of support for Winston but the one thing I have to say is that despite years of aggravating statements on immigration for example, he has never actually seriously introduced legislation or pushed hard on policy that has had any serious detrimental effect on peoples rights, or would appear to have any actual chance at passing.

He really is just a living totem of rural and regional resistance from Rogernomics reforms, neoliberalism and of economic 'experts' and wonks. And stirring is how that is represented in New Zealand.

Thats not to say his terrible idea proposals werent just stopped by opposition to it, but he is simply not on the "same continent" as folks trying to bring in voter suppression laws, ban abortions, not allow 'unidentified migrants' to even get drivers licenses and so on as compared to the USA, at least.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Jacobin posted:

I really renounce most of my past serious or ironic forms of support for Winston but the one thing I have to say is that despite years of aggravating statements on immigration for example, he has never actually seriously introduced legislation or pushed hard on policy that has had any serious detrimental effect on peoples rights, or would appear to have any actual chance at passing.

He really is just a living totem of rural and regional resistance from Rogernomics reforms, neoliberalism and of economic 'experts' and wonks. And stirring is how that is represented in New Zealand.

Thats not to say his terrible idea proposals werent just stopped by opposition to it, but he is simply not on the "same continent" as folks trying to bring in voter suppression laws, ban abortions, not allow 'unidentified migrants' to even get drivers licenses and so on as compared to the USA, at least.

You mean apart from opposing same-sex marriage, civil unions, the bill of rights act, prostitution law reform, the anti smacking bill and homosexual law reform?

emminou
May 25, 2006

Taitale posted:

You mean apart from opposing same-sex marriage, civil unions, the bill of rights act, prostitution law reform, the anti smacking bill and homosexual law reform?

Interesting that he opposed sex work reform, considering he's allegedly been a regular at a Wellington agency for a while. Although I guess male politicians advocating for policies that harm sex workers while using their services isn't exactly unheard of.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Taitale posted:

He is awful for those exact positions yes but still in the 'for what its worth' category his opposition has been shallow and reactionary typical of old New Zealanders. I note his opposition has also ultimately been quite ineffectual.

Just for one example- for all of NZFs bluster about immigration- it was National who introduced actual pre emptive legislation for the unprecedented event of a large scale "boat people" arrival event in NZ so we could basically follow Australias lead.

NZF have not actually been instrumental in a single actual policy as stigmatizing and unneccesarily real as that. Again- Im just saying there is a real disconnect between inflammatory comments and floated policy ideas and practical consequences here.

I need to read up on the exact opposition to the BORA tho wasnt familiar with that.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Taitale posted:

Don't forget the time he railed against video games to court the Grey Vote.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

While his party may have not been able to pass legislation in those areas his rhetoric is still influencing the debate and leading to National and Labour executing policies which are worse than they need to be. He also gives a sense of legitimacy to some fairly toxic views meaning making progress in the future will remain difficult.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Jacobin posted:

He is awful for those exact positions yes but still in the 'for what its worth' category his opposition has been shallow and reactionary typical of old New Zealanders. I note his opposition has also ultimately been quite ineffectual.

Just for one example- for all of NZFs bluster about immigration- it was National who introduced actual pre emptive legislation for the unprecedented event of a large scale "boat people" arrival event in NZ so we could basically follow Australias lead.

NZF have not actually been instrumental in a single actual policy as stigmatizing and unneccesarily real as that. Again- Im just saying there is a real disconnect between inflammatory comments and floated policy ideas and practical consequences here.

I need to read up on the exact opposition to the BORA tho wasnt familiar with that.

Why should I overlook his awful opinions and actions just because other people got good legislation past him?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
NZF is definitely in the mould of UKIP, Trump etc. but its support ranges from fairly leftwing anti 'identity politics' types to libertarian nazi fanbois. There's a lot more support coming from ethnic (i.e. Māori & Pasifika) communities than for comparable parties overseas, which I imagine tempers some of the overt racism. They support some decent stuff but when it comes down to it their politics are firmly rooted in 70s conservatism.

WarpedNaba posted:

Don't forget the time he railed against video games to court the Grey Vote.

When he's right he's right

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Racist people have to vote for someone, and I'd rather it be Winston than a Nigel Farage or Marine Le Pen type. That's what I tell myself when Winston's being particularly lovely, at least.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

maybe that should be their election slogan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

New Zealand First: racists have got to vote for someone.

New Zealand First: at least were not nazis.

With the numbers they're getting at the moment I actually don't think it's just fringe racists that are leaning NZF. Kinda like how a broken clock is still right twice a day, some of their positions (like on foreign ownership of land, TPPA, etc) have more broad appeal.

• Locked thread