Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Ratoslov posted:

What the living gently caress does 'He does not put his trust in the arm of the flesh.' mean?
I have no idea, but Google-fu says it's from the good Book of Mormon

quote:

34 O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh. Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ratoslov posted:

What the living gently caress does 'He does not put his trust in the arm of the flesh.' mean?

It's a weird combination of various Christian phrases all jammed together

edit: as it comes from the book of Mormon, I'm going to call my explanation correct. It's weird Old Testament fan fiction without any of the poetic ability

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Knight posted:

I have no idea, but Google-fu says it's from the good Book of Mormon

That doesn't help at all! :psyduck:

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Ratoslov posted:

Magic Underwear gives you god arms, without it, your arms are of flesh.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Unless these arms of flesh are carrying Guns of Steel

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ratoslov posted:

There's a lot of imagery in the Bible drawing a distinction between "physical things" (often shorthanded as "the flesh") and "spiritual things", and how the spiritual things are more important. The Book of Mormon is trying to make the same type of distinction but with Joseph Smith's grasp of imagery and metaphor.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
"Of Flesh" as in "Of Man", as in, Put Not Your Trust in the Arms of Man; For Only God may be Trusted

If you still don't understand what she's saying, she's saying "Don't question Ammon, god told him to change lawyers"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Again, the Bundy family are applying a fringe version of Mormonism. The two explanations I can find indicate that it's an expression for favoring divine judgement over worldly judgement- either personal or governmental, depending on the source.

edit:

dammit, it's entirely conventional. It's derived from a poor, or arguably more exact, translation of Jeremiah 17:5, referring to trusting power from worldly sources over that of God. "Arm" is just another way of expressing "strength". Poking around (not a biblical scholar here), the book of Jeremiah is particularly messy to translate, which is probably part of why the interpretations and texts are fairly divergent.

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 21:24 on May 26, 2016

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Okay, I guess it's pretty standard Judeo-Christian stuff. The wording was just a little strange, like maybe the arm of flesh was a specfic thing? But okay.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
So its an ad campaign for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided then. Don't trust arms that can't manufacture and shoot blades. :krad:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The flesh is weak, but the hyperalloy endoskeleton is strong.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

"Arm of flesh" is a late Biblical expression in some places in non-Mormon texts as well, meaning human power or strength. 2 Chronicles 32:8 is a good example.

quote:

7 Be strong and courageous, do not fear or be dismayed because of the king of Assyria nor because of all the horde that is with him; for the one with us is greater than the one with him. 8"With him is only an arm of flesh, but with us is the LORD our God to help us and to fight our battles." And the people relied on the words of Hezekiah king of Judah.

Edit: Beaten by DVox. That's what I get for not reloading before posting... Well, looking at the original Hebrew, it's just a word that means strength that comes from the word for (right) arm. It just sounds weird in English. Entirely normal expression though.

WrenP-Complete has issued a correction as of 23:17 on May 26, 2016

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Saying "arm of flesh" is not normal, but on religion it is.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Saying "arm of flesh" is not normal, but on religion it is.

Even among Mormons it's not a commonly used phrase.

Also, he absolutely is putting his trust in the "arm of flesh," unless he believes that his new attorney is deity?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TheMadMilkman posted:

Even among Mormons it's not a commonly used phrase.

Also, he absolutely is putting his trust in the "arm of flesh," unless he believes that his new attorney is deity?

Hail Satan/Lucifer!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I shouldn't have looked up her Facebook page and scrolled through. It's thoroughly depressing.

Also, she posted this:

That is dangerously close to deifying/worshipping LaVoy. In the early days of the LDS church it would probably have been enough to have her excommunicated.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

TheMadMilkman posted:

I shouldn't have looked up her Facebook page and scrolled through. It's thoroughly depressing.

Also, she posted this:

That is dangerously close to deifying/worshipping LaVoy. In the early days of the LDS church it would probably have been enough to have her excommunicated.

No, but you see his rebellion is special because--*FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART*

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Otisburg posted:

A young Second Lieutenant approaches the crusty old CSM and asked about the origin of the commissioned officer insignias. 

The CSM replied, "It's history and tradition ... First we give you a gold bar representing that you are very valuable and also malleable. The silver bar also represents significant value, but is less malleable. When you make Captain, your value doubles, hence the two silver bars. As a Colonel you soar over military masses, hence the eagle. As a General, you are, obviously, a star. Does that answer your question?" 

"Yes," said the Second Lieutenant, "but what about Majors and Lieutenant Colonels?" 

"That goes waaaay back in history ... to the Garden of Eden even. You see we've always covered our pricks with leaves

owns

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The more I read about the Bundys, their messianic ideology and how their Mormon beliefs play into this whole mess, the more I understand why 19th Americans tried to exterminate these fuckers.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mirthless posted:

"Of Flesh" as in "Of Man", as in, Put Not Your Trust in the Arms of Man; For Only God may be Trusted

If you still don't understand what she's saying, she's saying "Don't question Ammon, god told him to change lawyers"

Put not your trust in the arms of Man, for only cyborg arms may be trusted.

efb, not sure why I am surprised

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

TheMadMilkman posted:

Also, she posted this:

Please tell me that's from Christians For Michele Bachmann or something. :gonk:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

radical meme posted:

The more I read about the Bundys, their messianic ideology and how their Mormon beliefs play into this whole mess, the more I understand why 19th Americans tried to exterminate these fuckers.

It's not their Mormonism. They would have found justification in any religious or self-identifying belief they had- which is why many of those who followed them weren't Mormons.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

It's not their Mormonism. They would have found justification in any religious or self-identifying belief they had- which is why many of those who followed them weren't Mormons.

Oh I get that. But, their strident belief that they're the only ones that truly understand the Constitution and God's will and how it applies to America is a hallmark of the Mormon faith that has held true over the generations. It's part of the same reason why Warren Jeffs' cult has been so successful and why that fucker will spend the rest of his life in jail.

edit: it's a special sect of craziness. you can look at Baptists and realize that there are some that are average run of the mill Baptist and then there are some that are Southern Baptist and then there are some that are bug gently caress crazy evangelical Baptist. same principal applies to most religions. but, when you scratch the surface, Mormons seem to have more than their fair share; which is probably why the church is staying as far away from this poo poo as it possibly can.

radical meme has issued a correction as of 02:54 on May 27, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

radical meme posted:

If you want to get real mad at 19th century Mormans sometime, watch that movie about the Mountain Meadows massacre starring General Zod.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

TheMadMilkman posted:

Also, she posted this:

"And the Messiah did force open the door of His brutally wrecked Bronco
   and verily did He shout with great vigor at the tax assayers,"

"Shoot Me, come you fuckers and shoot Me, so speaketh the Lord!"

"And yea the Lord was totally domed and dropped like a serious Bitch,
   and all in assemblage agreed that His death was a great, if foreseeable, tragedy,"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

and all in assemblage agreed that His death was a great, if foreseeable, tragedy,"

Twice, did his hand move to draw forth his weapon
and, lo, twice did his fat fingers emerge bereft
and on the third fumbled draw, our LORD was laid low

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Otisburg posted:

If you want to get real mad at 19th century Mormans sometime, watch that movie about the Mountain Meadows massacre starring General Zod.

Did the LDS ever apologize for that one?

(I guess they help maintain the monument and elders show up at memorial services. So there's that.)

Volcott has issued a correction as of 06:50 on May 27, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

added to the OP, lol

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Knight posted:

Ritzheimer said this was a bad idea on Facebook, Briana Bundy responded telling him NEVER to question her husband! :byodame:

http://archive.is/hcLUs

So his cult leader status did, unsurprisingly, begin in his home life.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Also, she posted this:

They're so desperate to have a martyr to justify their stupidity that they have completely turned Finnicum into modern Jesus.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Otisburg posted:

Twice, did his hand move to draw forth his weapon
and, lo, twice did his fat fingers emerge bereft
and on the third fumbled draw, our LORD was laid low

And upon that day,
The LORD was rekt

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Geostomp posted:

So his cult leader status did, unsurprisingly, begin in his home life.

I caught that as well: she's so adamant about trusting his judgment that you have to wonder how much of that dedication is fear. The Bundys were known to challenge anybody who dared questioned their 'god-given freedoms' to do whatever poo poo they wanted. If they were the types to go toe-to-toe with cops, I imagine they wouldn't have an issue beating their wives. I can only imagine what their family life is like, and I'm kinda glad that their kids won't have to live under the thumb of such pathetic assholes anymore. Kinda hard maintain the whole 'I'm absolutely right' thing when you're rotting in a Supermax.

quote:

They're so desperate to have a martyr to justify their stupidity that they have completely turned Finnicum into modern Jesus.

And in doing so completely ignore that anybody can look at that video and see that TarpJesus died an rear end in a top hat, scrambling for a holster while actual state troopers with training took him out with a minimum of effort. There's your revolution, everybody: some old fucker without the sense to come in out of the cold dying like a schmuck for no reason at all.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
Lavoy was an old man who was going to spend his last remaining years in prison, he actually took the smart way out. Cliven Bundy on the other hand is going to eat lovely prison food for the rest of his life

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
They interviewed LaVoy's wife on NPR and she's convinced she's going to be rounded up like the others, which is just paranoid thinking.

Then it was revealed that she's still not paying her grazing fees, so I guess she's right. Can't wait to see the Finicum ranch seized by the government.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

cumshitter posted:

They interviewed LaVoy's wife on NPR and she's convinced she's going to be rounded up like the others, which is just paranoid thinking.

Then it was revealed that she's still not paying her grazing fees, so I guess she's right. Can't wait to see the Finicum ranch seized by the government.

I get pretty hard thinking about the impotent sovcit rage if the gvmt did take a martyr's ranch

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

I get pretty hard thinking about the impotent sovcit rage if the gvmt did take a martyr's ranch

...and turning it into "The Federal Lavoy Finnicum BLM Museum", an everlasting monument celebrating the crucial work of the Bureau of Land Management.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

It will be the site of the government's newest FEMA tarp factory

Advantageous
Apr 8, 2012

Geostomp posted:

But it has been way past three days, and I havn't heard of anyone ascending into the sky while glowing and shrouded in an American flag with the Gadsden flag draped over an arm. I'm seriously doubting his cred.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Also, she posted this:

My favorite part of the Bible is when Jesus ran in a circle yelling

"Your gonna have to crucify me. Over and over"

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Bombadilillo posted:

My favorite part of the Bible is when Jesus ran in a circle yelling

"Your gonna have to crucify me. Over and over"

Great, I just conflated that with Family Guy's "greased up deaf guy" and now I'm going to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Doomtalker posted:

And upon that day,
The LORD was rekt

The sky didst darkened and He spake the crimson word and the word was WASTED.