Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Daxing Dan posted:

You don't need to feel sorry. The bad translation is bad, and mockery is exactly what it deserves. Really, you can find errors like these on every single page. Also, I appreciate you too, Moltrey.

I have no idea how you read Paris, but I can assure you that it is in fact you who is super wrong.

Pah-riss
There's never been a semblance of an I in there before riss, nor is there in the French pronunciation.

Jojolion 54: American English kills again

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Most American English speakers definitely pronounce 'Paris' like Pair-iss or Pear-iss, like the yokels that we are.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Evidence if any was required that ESL should learn British English.

There's a U key on your keyboard for a reason!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Evidence if any was required that ESL should learn British English.

There's a U key on your keyboard for a reason!

Yeah, for words that actually need it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like you and suck

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

and joutarou

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You forgot Kuujou

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

JouJou's Bizarre Adventure

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

standard owl posted:

Most American English speakers definitely pronounce 'Paris' like Pair-iss or Pear-iss, like the yokels that we are.

yeah, back home everyone calls it pair-iss, not pah-rii

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Condiv posted:

yeah, back home everyone calls it pair-iss, not pah-rii

Though to be fair, there's a ton of poo poo like that in almost every language. "Japan" in Japanese is Nippon or Nihon, yet somehow it's Japan in English, Japón in Spanish, Ilbon in Korean, Riben in Mandarin Chinese, etc. At least the last one has the excuse of it being the way you'd read the characters in Chinese, but yeah. I've always wondered how that happens.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can thank the Portugese for that

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Xad posted:

Though to be fair, there's a ton of poo poo like that in almost every language. "Japan" in Japanese is Nippon or Nihon, yet somehow it's Japan in English, Japón in Spanish, Ilbon in Korean, Riben in Mandarin Chinese, etc. At least the last one has the excuse of it being the way you'd read the characters in Chinese, but yeah. I've always wondered how that happens.

The worst is still poor Deutschland. loving Germany.

I'll never understand why we don't just call countries what they call themselves. Who was the first rear end in a top hat to call España 'Spain'? It's not even close!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'll never understand why we don't just call countries what they call themselves. Who was the first rear end in a top hat to call España 'Spain'? It's not even close!

idk imperialism probably

the answer to "what's up with weird thing about the world" is usually imperialism probably

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, it's definitely imperialism.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Eh, usually it's just that the original name got corrupted a long time ago and it's what stuck with those people. I mean, my real life name is basically one of the hundreds of variations on Wilhelm, for example.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

Eh, usually it's just that the original name got corrupted a long time ago and it's what stuck with those people. I mean, my real life name is basically one of the hundreds of variations on Wilhelm, for example.

no everything wrong with the world is englands fault

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Absolutely.

Except the butchering of the word Paris.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Germany comes from Germania, which is the latin word for the place. So yeah, it's pretty much the oldest-school imperialism there is.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Who was the first rear end in a top hat to call España 'Spain'? It's not even close!

More like España isn't close to it's true name, Hispania.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hetalia's Beer Disposal Service, "Raisin' the Boot to 'em since 2006!"

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Funky Valentine posted:

More like España isn't close to it's true name, Hispania.

:v Spaniards write my country's name as "Mejico". It always makes me laugh. From what I understand many foreigners have a lot of trouble with all the words we have with "X" and the variations and rules in how are they pronounced. (Nahuatl derived words are fun!) So the answer is imperialism and difficulty to pronounce a country's name.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

It's part making foreign words fit a language's phonetics, part archaic names for places, and part hearing about a country second hand before actually visiting it. "Japan" is I think the Cantonese pronunciation of the kanji that are used for it, so Marco Polo reported back about it, and now all of Europe calls it that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I feel like this should be a Stand. If you're in a country and pronounce its name wrong then, idk, you lose memories of your own country.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That's almost like California King Bed? Kinda?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

hoobajoo posted:

It's part making foreign words fit a language's phonetics, part archaic names for places, and part hearing about a country second hand before actually visiting it. "Japan" is I think the Cantonese pronunciation of the kanji that are used for it, so Marco Polo reported back about it, and now all of Europe calls it that.

Nah, Polo got it as Cipangu. It's better, it's portuguese traders getting the name Jepang from Malay who got the name from some Chinese dialect and now everything is all goofy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

EDM OP again

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
good

http://toiletnareff.tumblr.com/tagged/Duwang

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Act 2 looks great

Wedge head also looks good but the wedge head was never a good look for Koichi

spiral power as gently caress

!!!

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 27, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hell yes, next week is going to be GREAT!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Spaghetti is smash

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Exercu posted:

Nah, Polo got it as Cipangu. It's better, it's portuguese traders getting the name Jepang from Malay who got the name from some Chinese dialect and now everything is all goofy.

Oh, crazy, I guess I got a really simplified version of it. Same idea, the telephone game played over cultures and generations.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Savage Garden eat the spaghetti

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I am so goddamn down for next week

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

what does the dogon effect mean

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
it's a phenomenon much like updog.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Futaba Anzu posted:

what does the dogon effect mean

they don't really mean much, they're just onomatopoeia so make sounds like dogon until one matches the context

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Does anyone have a gif of Yukako using Johnny's dark determination?

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Hell yes, next week is going to be GREAT!

I can't wait to eat out an Italian.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://youtu.be/xEzDZMt8ydw?t=121

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Does anyone have a gif of Yukako using Johnny's dark determination?

Oh yeah, that bit caught me off guard. Was it in the manga already or is David just deciding who should have Dark Determination (and being totally right about it)?