Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
I worked there seasonally (December 2014) and they started me at $11.50 in Washington State.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Costco just raised their starting wage for new hires to $13/hour and a cashier topped out on their pay scale makes something like $24/hour. They pay their employees enough to actually care about and take pride in their work, and it shows.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Tide posted:

I've heard it's a good place to work, but what exactly do they do that stands out?

Starting pay is nothing spectacular but it's better than ordinary retail and goes up dramatically. Scale varies a bit between the two countries, but here in Canada starting wage is now $13/h, climbing up to $23ish after 3.5ish years at full time hours (nobody starts full time, so a bit longer).
After 11000 hours you get lump sum payments of 2500 twice a year, which also increase with time served up to something like 4k if you are a quarter century employee (there are quite a few).

More importantly to many, pension and benefits are available to all employees both full time and part time. These are competitive and paid for by Costco. Again the structure of health benefits is probably quite different between countries as we don't have to pay to see doctors..
My pension is something like 4% of my income + matching contribution of another 50% up to 2% total, which is pretty OK, but outstanding in retail.

I'd have more concrete numbers but I'm salaried at H.O. so I'm slowly forgetting everything.

Speaking of my cushy office job, I would have never gotten this job fresh out of college if it weren't for our hiring from within policy. Helps morale quite a bit when you watch someone go from pushing carts to managing a warehouse.
Same goes for IS, HR, buying teams, VPs, etc

Anyway that's pretty much why the employees tend to rock.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Nice! Appreciate the info

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's also a bunch of fringe benefits that you don't see at other retailers. Employees get a free executive membership (2% back on all purchases), free turkeys on Thanksgiving, and most warehouses have employee-run teams that organize several parties per year for employees and family.

Part timers get full benefits, as mentioned, which includes paid sick/vacation time, bereavement leave, and full medical coverage which is cheaper and better than most companies, and certainly better than virtually all retailers.

On top of that, they have an incredibly liberal attendance policy. According to my wife (who works at Costco), you're allowed up to 9 call-offs per year before being fired, the first 7 carrying no penalties/consequences (other than possibly being a factor if you're looking for a promotion), the 8th being a write-up, and the 9th being a suspension.

In addition to pay capping out at $20-something per hour, employees also make time and a half on sundays and double time on holidays (unless the warehouse is closed in which they get paid for the day off). They're also paid time and a half if they work more than 8 hours per day or enough days consecutively without a day off.

So yeah, working at Costco is a pretty sweet deal, especially for retail.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Math You posted:

Starting pay is nothing spectacular but it's better than ordinary retail and goes up dramatically. Scale varies a bit between the two countries, but here in Canada starting wage is now $13/h

Current minimum wage in Canada ranges from $10.45 to $11.25, to put that into context.

Higher in the territories but I doubt they have Costco up there.

tessdaterrible
Nov 4, 2015

Some Weird Sloth
Costco is the place where true love can be realized. (Not just steak love either.)
http://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/nation/2016/05/13/84343386/

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Math You posted:

Starting pay is nothing spectacular but it's better than ordinary retail and goes up dramatically. Scale varies a bit between the two countries, but here in Canada starting wage is now $13/h, climbing up to $23ish after 3.5ish years at full time hours (nobody starts full time, so a bit longer).
After 11000 hours you get lump sum payments of 2500 twice a year, which also increase with time served up to something like 4k if you are a quarter century employee (there are quite a few).

More importantly to many, pension and benefits are available to all employees both full time and part time. These are competitive and paid for by Costco. Again the structure of health benefits is probably quite different between countries as we don't have to pay to see doctors..
My pension is something like 4% of my income + matching contribution of another 50% up to 2% total, which is pretty OK, but outstanding in retail.

I'd have more concrete numbers but I'm salaried at H.O. so I'm slowly forgetting everything.

Speaking of my cushy office job, I would have never gotten this job fresh out of college if it weren't for our hiring from within policy. Helps morale quite a bit when you watch someone go from pushing carts to managing a warehouse.
Same goes for IS, HR, buying teams, VPs, etc

Anyway that's pretty much why the employees tend to rock.

I may or may not be at the HO also. Pay is great for warehouses, not so much for IT. We are considered average for retail IT, but sit 10-20% lower than true IT shops (Amazon, Microsoft, etc). When you factor in the work/life balance though, it evens out. Unfortunately few people here can afford to live in Issaquah proper, so most of us commute. No work from home at all. Also no one at corp (except Travel) gets to wear shorts. It's horrible.

Also, at least 80% of the FT employees here are related somehow. I am related to 2 others at corp.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Costco also asked for better rewards for its customers from American Express. When Amex implied that they were a luxury card with special status, Costco basically told them they are no more important than the potato farmers they use as vendors and more or less torpedoed the negotiation.

Now the new Costco Citi card is going to have mad rewards.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
I bought the Mahi burgers a while back and they were disappointing compared to the flawless salmon burgers. Tried cooking them in the oven and on the grill and they just come out dry and salty.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

Costco also asked for better rewards for its customers from American Express. When Amex implied that they were a luxury card with special status, Costco basically told them they are no more important than the potato farmers they use as vendors and more or less torpedoed the negotiation.

Now the new Costco Citi card is going to have mad rewards.

Yeah, the new Citi card is something like 1% back on everything, 2% back at restaurants, 3% back on groceries, and 4% back on gas. And that doesn't even include the 2% back you get at Costco if you're an executive member. I was going to sign up for the Costco Amex card but then they announced the switch to Citi so I decided to just wait and sign up for the new card. My Costco set up a table by the registers for the new card, I'm not sure if they're doing sign ups for it now or if it's just to advertise the Citi card, I'll find out when I go in there tomorrow.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, definitely getting a Costco Citibank card.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

This thread made me want to finally get a Costco membership. Unfortunately, I managed to find an apartment located at the furthest possible point from every Costco in Los Angeles:

The closest one is "only" 8-9 miles away, but in LA driving time, that can be a 90+ minute round trip.

I just want cheap meat :(

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Argyle posted:

This thread made me want to finally get a Costco membership. Unfortunately, I managed to find an apartment located at the furthest possible point from every Costco in Los Angeles:

The closest one is "only" 8-9 miles away, but in LA driving time, that can be a 90+ minute round trip.

I always forget how stupid big LA is

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I bought a surround sound system yesterday from costcos website. Thought about paying the extra $12 for next day shipping but thought better of it.

Imagine my surprise when it showed up today!

Even their website is awesome. You go Glen Costco.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
New best thing at Costco(.ca) = poop bags. Normally it costs something like $16 for 120 bags that we run though in like 2 months.

We got poop bags on sale for $27. How many? Oh just 3600.

With like 3 months poop bag budget we have secured poop n scoop independence for years to come.. Even after we gave half to a friend.

Math You has a new favorite as of 11:42 on May 18, 2016

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Math You posted:

New best thing at Costco(.ca) = poop bags. Normally it costs something like $16 for 120 bags that we run though in like 2 months.

We got poop bags on sale for $27. How many? Oh just 3600.

With like 3 months poop bag budget we have secured poop n scoop independence for years to come.. Even after we gave half to a friend.

Too bad Costco doesn't sell toilets.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Jingleheimer posted:

Yeah, the new Citi card is something like 1% back on everything, 2% back at restaurants, 3% back on groceries, and 4% back on gas. And that doesn't even include the 2% back you get at Costco if you're an executive member. I was going to sign up for the Costco Amex card but then they announced the switch to Citi so I decided to just wait and sign up for the new card. My Costco set up a table by the registers for the new card, I'm not sure if they're doing sign ups for it now or if it's just to advertise the Citi card, I'll find out when I go in there tomorrow.

An important thing to do if you have the American Express card right now is to register the Citi Visa as soon as you can, if it isn't registered by the switchover date (June 20th) your cash back rewards from the AmEx don't transfer and your balance wont either. It says this in the stuff they've been mailing out but most people don't read through them. Apparently, according to management this is the largest card transfer of this kind in history. New signups for the card won't start until after the transfer because they are concentrating on getting all the cards switched over.

Jingleheimer posted:

Those tables are to help people switch their cards over I think for those that can't go online and do it because they don't know how computers work. I glazed over the training on the new card a bit since I work in the mornings and am usually gone before having to deal with too many customers.

take me you ANIMAL has a new favorite as of 20:34 on May 18, 2016

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

They do in the warehouse

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Not only do they sell toilets, they sell about the best loving toilet there is.

http://www.costco.com/New-Waves-Smart-Toilet.product.100109410.html

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The new Citi card transition is a little confusing, I assume when you say "register" you mean activate the card (through whatever process Citi specifies)? Citi's FAQ on the transition say to keep using the Amex through the 19th, and the Citi card will be usable on the 20th, so whatever activation is necessary will have to happen before that switchover date.

Also, the rewards and benefits are as follows:
4% on gas
3% on restaurants and travel
2% on warehouse and Costco.com
1% on everything else
Worldwide car rental insurance and travel accident insurance
Damage and theft purchase protection (!)

So basically this is going to be the most ridiculously good general purpose rewards card p much ever

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Argyle posted:

Never go to the Glendale one from where you are. I did that and hated life because of the traffic to and from there.

But the Costco at Venice has an In N Out (and they share a terribly designed parking lot, have fun).

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Schpyder posted:

The new Citi card transition is a little confusing, I assume when you say "register" you mean activate the card (through whatever process Citi specifies)? Citi's FAQ on the transition say to keep using the Amex through the 19th, and the Citi card will be usable on the 20th, so whatever activation is necessary will have to happen before that switchover date.

Also, the rewards and benefits are as follows:
4% on gas
3% on restaurants and travel
2% on warehouse and Costco.com
1% on everything else
Worldwide car rental insurance and travel accident insurance
Damage and theft purchase protection (!)

So basically this is going to be the most ridiculously good general purpose rewards card p much ever

Pretty sure the Citi card will be usable outside of Costco before June 20. That is just the date when Costco Warehouses will switch off AMEX and start taking VISA.
I would not be overly surprised if Visas work before that time in the warehouse, but officially that is the date. I know there are test stores, but not sure which ones.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Have you all received the new Citi Visa card yet? I've received two brochures about it and some paperwork, but the actual card hasn't arrived yet. I imagine they're just sending it to Costco AmEx holders automatically?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Online info says they should show up in late May/early June, and yeah, they're going out to everyone automatically.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Question about the return policy.
I have like 8 of those Tommy bahama beach umbrellas broken in my basement. I can exchange them all for new ones? I don't have a single receipt.

Also, my wife bought a Dell laptop from there in September and it has been the biggest piece of poo poo ever for 6 months. Worse than my bloatware loaded 10 year old hp. What are our options there?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

kmcormick9 posted:

I have like 8 of those Tommy bahama beach umbrellas broken in my basement. I can exchange them all for new ones? I don't have a single receipt.

Also, my wife bought a Dell laptop from there in September and it has been the biggest piece of poo poo ever for 6 months. Worse than my bloatware loaded 10 year old hp. What are our options there?

If you bought them at Costco, and there's a barcode on one of them, they can look them up.

You're boned on the laptop.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

kmcormick9 posted:

What's the CPU in the laptop?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Boywhiz88 posted:

What's the CPU in the laptop?

I5

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

kmcormick9 posted:

As long as you bought them on your card, they can look up the umbrellas and get you a full refund. The computer being poo poo you're screwed on because it's a 90 day firm return policy on major electronics (TVs, computers, cameras). There was a major problem in the past of people using the return policy as a year-long rental/upgrade program so they had to finally do away with it.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Uh that's a 3 month return policy. You still have plenty of time to go through their warranty, which is 2 years.

Edit: NM. I finally read the post instead of just the reply.. Warranties don't help much if it's not actually broken.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
That's why if you buy any electronics at Costco, you better drat well vet them out during the 90-day window. Any issues and back they go.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
So the way the new card works is that when the Amex stops at the end of June 19th, the Visa kicks on June 20th. The thing beforehand is just to ensure balance and rewards transfer and also you can set it up for scheduled payments and stuff for bills.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My Costco/Citi Visa arrived in the mail yesterday, with a terrible, tiny, pixellated photo of me on the back.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Of all the things Costco sells, this is the one I'm currently the most excited about. Expectations are high.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I am currently extraordinarily fond of this pepperoni pizza:

I would recommend not putting it on a stone like the idiot who took that picture though, put that poo poo right on the rack.

Edit: also, why aren't his pepperonis done? Mine come out looking like the pizza on the box errytime and his pizza looks like rear end. Next time I make one I will take a picture for the thread.

moller has a new favorite as of 08:48 on May 27, 2016

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Megera posted:

Never go to the Glendale one from where you are. I did that and hated life because of the traffic to and from there.
Also -- and I'm so in the tank for Costco it's ridiculous, so it pains me to say this -- the Glendale Costco kinda blows. It's small (for a Costco), they seem to be out of essential things an awful lot, and the parking lot is like something George Miller would come up with.

Too bad, because it's pretty close to my neighb. Fortunately my partner works right by the Monterey Park location, a good Costco, and he sticks to the list WAY better than I do. Ask him to pick up Brita filters, toothpaste, Clif bars and Normandy frozen vegetable mix, and that is what he'll come home with, whereas about a third of my wardrobe was purchased at Costco more or less by accident.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

moller posted:

I am currently extraordinarily fond of this pepperoni pizza:

I would recommend not putting it on a stone like the idiot who took that picture though, put that poo poo right on the rack.

Edit: also, why aren't his pepperonis done? Mine come out looking like the pizza on the box errytime and his pizza looks like rear end. Next time I make one I will take a picture for the thread.

Those pizzas are really good, but they replaced the rising crust pizzas, which I personally thought were better. I'm not big on thin crust pizzas though, so others might feel differently about it.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

spite house posted:

About a third of my wardrobe was purchased at Costco more or less by accident.

This. This is the story of my life. Costco clothes are the bomb, especially their yoga pants. I also bought my winter coat there, and it was some of the best money I've ever spent. It's Utex brand, down filled, and warm enough to keep me cozy through the last few Canadian winters. And it only cost $89!

The Costco 'Nuk Nuk' slippers are another fave of mine. They are lined with sheepskin, so they are really warm, but they also have a really sturdy sole so you can go outside in them too and not slip and slide all over the place or feel like you're basically walking barefoot.

Also never go to Costco high or hungry.

My fave thing right now are the packs of frozen Costco hot dogs, the ones they serve at the food court. Goddamn those things are so good, I can't get over it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Was at Costco the other day and one of their floor managers was being kind of a piece of poo poo. "Get that fucker off the drat cash register then!" "I don't give a drat, just do it!" that kind of stuff spewing constantly from his mouth right in front of us customers. I guess Costco takes all types of people, but I can't imagine that guy will keep his position for much longer if people continue to complain about him. Luckily everybody at Costco wears name badges.

• Locked thread