Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The dwarf on offense is like something that just confuses people. I just go along making myself mini outposts, shooting wild bastions with a shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Countblanc posted:

1) it provides basically no context. why is bastion good against d.va when Defense Matrix is one of the best defensive tools for enabling your team to approach him? does this mean they're all 1v1?

2) lots of them are just like, wrong? i guess? why is Hanzo good against a character who should never peak chokepoints other than to shoot big M2 balls (symmetra) or zen (who he doesn't bodyshot and who is probably too far from the fight to reliably set up headshots against)? why is lucio, an incredibly mobile character, vulnerable to pharah? just because his projectile means he can't hit her? why are you trying to solo a pharah instead of speed boosting away while she fails to hit a single direct rocket? why isn't every hero in Mccree's "strong against" box? who would ever in their right mind say that mei is good against widow??? there's so many of these.

3) on top of it being flat-out wrong, it contradicts itself kinda. it says genji is a great counter to roadhog, but also that roadhog is great at killing genji. ok those aren't TECHNICALLY opposites but like, come on.

1. Good thing it bills itself as a cheat sheet and not an indepth guide to the game, then!

2. Hanzo is good at low to mid range against low health characters. If you're ever in low to mid range against Symmetra and Zenyatta, then it turns out that rule applies to them. See point 1

3. I'm guessing the guide sort of assumes that each of the heroes you're playing as will be doing their job. A genji doing proper flanking will eat Roadhog because Roadhog will not be expecting you. Likewise, a Roadhog doing his job should always be on the look out for flanking heroes like Genji and once he knows where they are they're hosed. These two are not contradictory in the slightest, as it turns out a hero that has the element of surprise can use that to his advantage, but not if the other person is aware of him, meaning the outcomes of any particularly encounter can shift dramatically depending on who has the better positioning.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I have come from the casual thread in search of knowledge. Someone teach me how to disrupt a Mei.

Failing that, teach me how to embrace being a Chinese war criminal.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
How to beat Mei:

Stick with your team. Turns out she sucks at dealing with anyone other than a single person.

If you want a really, really good comprehensive guide as to any particular heroes strengths or weaknesses, play them for a couple of hours, you'll soon find out they're not actually the murder god that you think they are.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have come from the casual thread in search of knowledge. Someone teach me how to disrupt a Mei.

Focus make her heal and not run around freely freezing everyone.

In a fight she is trying to freeze someone and then headshot them with the ice lance. Do not be this person!

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lady Naga posted:

Well yes obviously if you have the ultimate and there's nothing better to use it on go ahead and chuck it at Bastion but that can apply to literally any other character in the game so...

Roadhog is really good against D.Va because his M1 shreds armour.

Don't save your ults for that sweet quadra kill moment. Use them as you need them! If your team is having problems with a bastion, ulting him is an easy and quick way to take him down.

And yeah, Roadhog's M1 isn't great against DVa specifically because it shreds armor (small pellets are actually bad for this, see Tracer) but because DVa is Huge and has a central Headshot hitbox so you hit every pellet and almost all of them are headshots, which is crazy.

DVa's headshot hitbox is her biggest weakness tbh. I wonder how strong she would be if they removed the ability to headshot her.

edit: I know it'll die down eventually but I think having a general thread and a Strategy thread would be good, this one moves too goddamn fast.

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 27, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ddraig posted:

1. Good thing it bills itself as a cheat sheet and not an indepth guide to the game, then!

2. Hanzo is good at low to mid range against low health characters. If you're ever in low to mid range against Symmetra and Zenyatta, then it turns out that rule applies to them. See point 1

3. I'm guessing the guide sort of assumes that each of the heroes you're playing as will be doing their job. A genji doing proper flanking will eat Roadhog because Roadhog will not be expecting you. Likewise, a Roadhog doing his job should always be on the look out for flanking heroes like Genji and once he knows where they are they're hosed. These two are not contradictory in the slightest, as it turns out a hero that has the element of surprise can use that to his advantage, but not if the other person is aware of him, meaning the outcomes of any particularly encounter can shift dramatically depending on who has the better positioning.

is there literally anything they could have had in that guide which would have made you say it was wrong, or does it being a "cheat sheet" absolve it of all need to actually be useful to anyone for anything

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Don't save your ults for that sweet quadra kill moment. Use them as you need them! If your team is having problems with a bastion, ulting him is an easy and quick way to take him down.

And yeah, Roadhog's M1 isn't great against DVa specifically because it shreds armor (small pellets are actually bad for this, see Tracer) but because DVa is Huge and has a central Headshot hitbox so you hit every pellet and almost all of them are headshots, which is crazy.

DVa's headshot hitbox is her biggest weakness tbh. I wonder how strong she would be if they removed the ability to headshot her.

I wasn't saying "oh never use Tracer's ult against a Bastion", it's that if you're specifically looking to pick against him there are so many other characters that don't rely on a single ability that takes time to charge and is generally more useful elsewhere.

Also no, small pellets are great for taking out armour, because the damage reduction is applied to the final damage, not per-pellet. Tracer's gun sucks because it's not a spread of flechettes but singular projectiles shot fast. I made a whole spreadsheet about it and everything.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

foutre posted:

Huh, fair, didn't realize that. I guess I was thinking just 1v1, it's pretty easy to negate his first clip and then just kill him as mech or pilot before he can dps you down, but I can see how that would be a pretty tough time when it's not just the two of you.

In my limited experience with D.Va and Roadhog, 1v1s favour D.Va because of Hogs clip size, but it takes so long for you to kill each other off that people usually butt in.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 27, 2016

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Pharah is much harder to hit in the air and can bully her. Zarya's barriers reset and block the freeze effect.

Freeze people and then dome them. Build a great wall to separate the team or trap people or elevate yourself. Ice block on the point to prevent them from capping it while you're immune. Relentlessly let everyone know you're sorry.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Hugoon Chavez posted:

D.Va has the highest health pool in the game (650, 400 of which is armour)

Giving her a smaller headbox would make her most dependable counters pretty bad against her and make her way more powerful than she is. It's the same principle with giving Zenyatta more health, it seems like a common sense solution, but given that he shits out damage himself and is a huge enabler for increased damage among other people, giving him any sort of edge over his counters would tip the balance hugely in one direction. He's already teetering on the edge of being imbalanced and almost gets there when paired up with Symmetra and her shields/flanking counters, but Teamwork is forever OP and that's fair enough.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

overwatch cheat sheet tip: play widowmaker or hanzo

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I've seen a few places (including the Overwatch wiki) that for shotguns the pellets are considered a single damage instance, meaning that the individual pellets don't suffer armor reduction.
e: Whoops took too long looking for w/e sources I saw, Naga already said this

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lady Naga posted:

Also no, small pellets are great for taking out armour, because the damage reduction is applied to the final damage, not per-pellet. Tracer's gun sucks because it's not a spread of flechettes but singular projectiles shot fast. I made a whole spreadsheet about it and everything.

Oh, I had no idea it worked like that actually, interesting, although my interpretation amounted to the same :v:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Ddraig posted:

He's already teetering on the edge of being imbalanced and almost gets there when paired up with Symmetra

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Ddraig posted:

It's the same principle with giving Zenyatta more health, it seems like a common sense solution, but given that he shits out damage himself and is a huge enabler for increased damage among other people, giving him any sort of edge over his counters would tip the balance hugely in one direction. He's already teetering on the edge of being imbalanced and almost gets there when paired up with Symmetra and her shields/flanking counters, but Teamwork is forever OP and that's fair enough.

So why did he go from the most used hero in competitive play to the least used hero in competitive play if he's so great at something-something with a good team?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

maybe he forgot about the nerf

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Oh, I had no idea it worked like that actually, interesting, although my interpretation amounted to the same :v:

I guess maybe the cheat sheet maker maybe thought the same thing? Otherwise I have literally no idea how someone with a teleport, an invulnerability button and one of the best armour-damaging weapons in the game would be bad against Bastion.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
I'm sitting at 3 games won out of 20.

I played the beta, and my win rate was fairly 50/50 in that. Is someone else seeing something similar?

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

busfahrer posted:

I'm sitting at 3 games won out of 20.

I played the beta, and my win rate was fairly 50/50 in that. Is someone else seeing something similar?

Are you a "Hanzo main"?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Also does someone have a comprehensive list of the characters that can melee cancel reload?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Lady Naga posted:

Also does someone have a comprehensive list of the characters that can melee cancel reload?

1. reaper

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam

Bolivar posted:

Are you a "Hanzo main"?

Nah - most of that I played Lucio, which you would think is a benefit just by being there. I'm worried that I somehow broke the matchmaking - I'm level 5 and constantly matched with 11 other people that are in their 30s

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm pretty sure everyone can melee cancel reload, it's just that many aren't really worth it. Just watch the reload timer and see how early into the animation the number goes from 0/X to X/X, then press melee. Reaper is definitely the biggest one to learn though, he reloads super early into his animation

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Roadhog can do it too tho?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Lady Naga posted:

Roadhog can do it too tho?

people play roadhog?!??!!?!?!?!?!?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Afraid of Audio posted:

people play roadhog?!??!!?!?!?!?!?

Well yeah. He rules.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Bolivar posted:

So why did he go from the most used hero in competitive play to the least used hero in competitive play if he's so great at something-something with a good team?

Because they added LOS to his orbs. Zenyatta was literally overpowered before this as you could place an orb of harmony on your team mate, pop out place a discord then go hide in a corner until both vanished then do it again all the while applying no risk to yourself as you never had to directly face any of your counters.

You have to play him more dynamically now, but he's still just as powerful as he ever was, it's just now he's not literally broken and actually has to expose himself to his counters to be effective now which is why he rarely gets a look in in competitive seeing as how he's now far more dangerous to play when there's more dependable heroes to pick who don't die thanks to a particularly violent sneeze in their direction.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Sigh.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Well yeah. He rules.

this cannot be true, as he does not

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Afraid of Audio posted:

this cannot be true, as he does not

I will need to meditate on this.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
my ultimate charges faster in your wake

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Ddraig posted:

Because they added LOS to his orbs. Zenyatta was literally overpowered before this as you could place an orb of harmony on your team mate, pop out place a discord then go hide in a corner until both vanished then do it again all the while applying no risk to yourself as you never had to directly face any of your counters.

You have to play him more dynamically now, but he's still just as powerful as he ever was, it's just now he's not literally broken and actually has to expose himself to his counters to be effective now which is why he rarely gets a look in in competitive seeing as how he's now far more dangerous to play when there's more dependable heroes to pick who don't die thanks to a particularly violent sneeze in their direction.

Yeah. The added nerf from 175 HP to 150 HP was absolutely stupid since they will probably buff him from 150 HP to 175 HP in the next balance patch.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Boss Hog is a strong young man and I believe in him

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ruggington posted:

Boss Hog is a strong young man and I believe in him

i am sorry, so very sorry

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Nah, they won't.

Paired up with symmetra that would make him a 200 health hero, most of which is shields. That's also the reason why Symmetra's shields were taken down to 25 from 50 because it turns out having 200 health Tracers and 250 health Genjis is actually quite a big loving deal.

This is also why they added LOS to Zenyatta's orbs seeing as how he could just place it on Genji and suddenly one of his big weaknesses is gone forever.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

i am sorry, so very sorry

i don't play him and I lick my lips when I see one that doesn't know what he's doing

but he's my friend and I don't abandon my friends

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Roadhog is actually very good against problem heroes like widow, tracer and Genji because if you hook them they just die with no recourse. Play him like a Mcree and get around the sides or behind their team and snag people out of the group, or off their perches.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Roadhog is actually very good against problem heroes like widow, tracer and Genji because if you hook them they just die with no recourse. Play him like a Mcree and get around the sides or behind their team and snag people out of the group, or off their perches.

zenyatta getting hooked like :zenpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
:zenpop::zenpop::zenpop::zenpop::zenpop::zenpop::zenpop::zenpop::zenpop::zenpop::zenpop::zenpop::zenpop::zenpop::zenpop::zenpop: