Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dodoman posted:

wait, seriously?

you know, I thought it smelled better in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dodoman posted:

wait, seriously?

according to twitter, yeah.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Progressive JPEG posted:

i get this poo poo all the loving time

i miss old maps

i don't like the giant sidebar that always pops up and consumes half the screen.

also the removal of the 45 degree view is something i will always be bitter about.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

The Management posted:

he can no longer post in yospos

Dodoman posted:

wait, seriously?

his OS.... it was too much of a POS

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Sniep posted:

his OS.... it was too much of a POS

his OS was a POS...

but without the likes of cremnob poo poo posting who else are we going to flame :shrug:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

zen death robot posted:

He may return from exile if Smythe posts a poll and the motion passes. Cremnob will still have to deal with a YOSPOS that now has 2 mods, including Smythe and he must no longer post ads for anything no matter what for these are the conditions of his parole if granted.

The poll will have 3 days to allow votes after which all results are final.

you know he's incapable of not posting ads though

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Elder Postsman posted:

also the removal of the 45 degree view is something i will always be bitter about.

was this ever actually a google maps thing cause I only ever remember it on Bing

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
should bring cremnob back so you can say

ban cremnob :toot:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
kevin, why

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ahahahahahaha kevin

ahahahahahahahahahaahahaaaaahaaaa

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I have been given great pleasure

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lol, i kinda want to report this for laughs, but i think smythe's style would be to probe me for being a basic baby bitch for that

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

loooool

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

that's a probin'

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Captain Foo posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Captain Foo posted:

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Captain Foo posted:

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Captain Lomarf posted:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

ahmeni posted:

was this ever actually a google maps thing cause I only ever remember it on Bing

for a while yeah. Bing calls it "birds eye view" and Google called it 45 degree view.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

should have called it isomorphic view

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Foo posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

is it possible to have gmail show me emails that havent been filtered? not unlabeled, but untouched by filters and possibly manually labeled

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

should have called it isomorphic view

2.5 D
Maybe throw in some rad midis while you have it open too

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Elder Postsman posted:

for a while yeah. Bing calls it "birds eye view" and Google called it 45 degree view.

how was that different from the currently availahble 3D view in google maps?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

45 degree view was actual aerial photography, very sharp for the most part. no 3D modelling just put on a flat plane like regular satellite view.

3D view is chunky hosed up horseshit and i dont know why google and apple keep pursuing this crap, it all looks so bad. every time i use google maps i turn off 3D

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

:)

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
if u dont use chrome google maps wont do 3d so you wont have to turn it off but if u dont use chrome google makes their sites lovely for u

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i don't even know why the pleasuremeter comes with a scale tbh

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/05/26/gchat_was_the_future_of_messaging_why_did_google_make_other_chat_products.html

virtually the same ideas failed at Google, but succeeded elsewhere. Google says they have a "fail quickly" strategy that eliminates "bad ideas" quickly. they don't realize the ideas aren't the problem, it's their execution. if i'd written this, it would be more about Wave preceding Slack but failing in the same category.

quote:

Everyone has been talking about Slack lately. The chat app, which is primarily aimed at offices and productivity, is simple, well designed, fun to use, and powerful. Slack is also the company people were obsessed with in 2015. Whether you love the product or not, though, it’s time to admit something: Slack is just Gchat.

Presenting the new version as a rebrand and replacement seemed to confirm the suspicion that Google didn’t really love Gchat the way users did. And it was also the moment where the company's vision for chat stopped making sense. In its company history, Google writes that as of May 2013 Hangouts “will be Google’s single communications system, replacing Google Talk, Google+ Hangouts and Messenger.” Yet Google Messenger still exists alongside Hangouts. And there are even still some holdout users on old-style Gchat.

Last week, Google announced an instant message app and a video chat app, called Allo and Duo respectively, that incorporate personalization through machine learning. The company also announced a collaboration and productivity app called Spaces the week before that mixes multimedia sharing and in-app web browsing with chat.

This seems like, well, a lot of communication options. A Google spokesperson told me in a statement that, “With Allo and Duo, we’ve focused on starting from the ground up, building mobile-only single-purpose apps. Hangouts on the other hand is a strong multiplatform app, serving the needs of users in productivity and group scenarios.” Google seems to add new brands whenever they build new products, even when there is extensive overlap in functionality.

From an internal perspective it makes sense to start with a clean slate and then show off exciting and novel work. “We didn't want to weigh down the [engineering] team with decisions from previous products,” Erik Kay, Google's engineering director for communication software, told CNET on Sunday. But from the consumer perspective, these name changes can read as redundant and disrespectful to beloved products that could be improved instead of phased out. (RIP Google Reader.)

In a meditation on Digital Trends about Google’s glut of communication apps, Andy Boxall wrote that Google was “vomiting out three new messaging apps. … Which one should we use? If you’re not sure, don’t look at Google. Based on its confused approach to messaging, it doesn’t have a clue either.” This speaks to the idea that Google had something much more valuable than it realized with Gchat. Back in 2005 and 2006 the company was offering the foundation of what would become the next big trend. Gchat was simple, elegant, and most importantly, focused. That's all gone now.

Beyond just Slack, Google was five or six years ahead of WhatsApp, GroupMe, and Facebook Messenger on offering a fun, functional chat app with lots of features. The company could have won the day if it understood what it had. In fact it’s still common to hear people calling any Google communication product Gchat. It’s an impressively powerful brand, especially given that it never existed.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
googles messenging products are their biggest org chart leakers - why improve existing products when you can be greenfield and have faster turnaround from not dealing with legacy cruft and interruption; looks great on your PA!

I wonder if it's only that way on their non-paying user side

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Jenny Agutter posted:

go look at Bing birds eye view. googles was similar but had newer imagery in some areas, and covered some areas that Bing didn't.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

SO DEMANDING posted:

3D view is chunky hosed up horseshit and i dont know why google and apple keep pursuing this crap, it all looks so bad. every time i use google maps i turn off 3D

also this

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

akadajet posted:

i don't even know why the pleasuremeter comes with a scale tbh

because if it didn't it would be spinning counterclockwise over and over

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lancemantis posted:

googles messenging products are their biggest org chart leakers - why improve existing products when you can be greenfield and have faster turnaround from not dealing with legacy cruft and interruption; looks great on your PA!

I wonder if it's only that way on their non-paying user side

fixing an existing product isn't going to fill out your OKRs. to get something meaty enough to get past the promo committee, you need to start from scratch.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

fart simpson posted:

you know he's incapable of not posting ads though

if only there was a simple technological solution for a technical yosposter to use to stop such ads

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Google share price will drop to $200 says report

https://kalkis-research.com/google-end-of-the-online-advertising-bubble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

man, i should get a wordpress site and crap out nonsense and get taken seriously too

• Locked thread