Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yeah don't do this. Just read each series one at a time. If your doing Superman, then All Star is your first stop. I would say go ahead with his Batman run but I feel like I shouldn't recommend that to new readers. That book gets weird at certain points. (RIP, The Return of Bruce Wayne, Final Crisis. Is it weird that I count Final Crisis as part of his Batman run?) If you were going to do it, maybe read 52 first?

Speaking of Grant Morrison, I did recently read Nameless. This was a horror book he did for Image and it's Morrison as gently caress. Picture Event Horizon meets Armageddon meets Inception. He basically wanted to do a Cthulhu mythos story without using Cthulhu. I enjoyed it but it is really confusing. A lot of obscure magic symbolism, to the point where I would say its the kind of book you pick up if you are a HUGE fan of that writer. Great, creepy, disturbing artwork though, especially when you start getting into the psyche of the aliens. (Best way I can describe that without spoilers.

Also, I signed up for Comic Bento. Get four random comics for 20 bucks. First one I read was called Surface Tension by Jay Gunn.

Surface Tension posted:

Months ago, 99% of humanity walked into the sea and dissolved. When two people are washed up on the beach of the tiny island of Breith - Their biology completely rewritten - the survivors of Breith are thrown into chaos. Are they our last hope or our executioners?

So a Post apocalyptic, environmental message book. It was alright. A little preachy to the end but a enjoyable read. Something I would never have picked up on my own though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure I dropped Nameless with one issue left. It was too esoteric and I didn't really care what happened.

Morrison's Batman run is a difficult recommendation for no other reason than that the reading order is really involved, and floats into Final Crisis for a couple issues, then back out into the Batman books.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
At least with Morrison's Batman you can read one trade at a time, it's not nearly as awkward as Hickman's stuff jumping across multiple books.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

At least with Morrison's Batman you can read one trade at a time, it's not nearly as awkward as Hickman's stuff jumping across multiple books.
Hickman F4 is collected perfectly in two reasonably-sized omnibu.

And anyway, I'm pretty sure Return of Bruce Wayne is intended to be read interspersed with Batman, Inc.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Thank you for the team book recs; Bendis's New Avengers run seems to have scratched my itch, but I've noted the other suggestions for future reading.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How has Jason Aaron's run on Dr.Strange been? I really liked that Mark Waid mini, if that helps.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's confirmed my suspicions that Strange is better in a team or occasional use situation. Even a good writer like Aaron never really made me care about the book. It's fine, just nothing special or that I'd recommend.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think Strange is just not in Aaron's wheelhouse. You need a Starlin or a Gerber to tell interesting solo stories with him.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Fantasy and Magic Marvel has always been tricky, I'm going through Aaron's Thor run and having the same problems. It's not...BAD but unlike Cosmic Marvel Fantasy/Magic Marvel usually keeps to itself or defines its problems within its own specific realm of influence. It's also why is agree that Strange works best when paired, because it forces his skills to be defined in a context that doesn't keep to itself.

Like to me the best Thor-related stuff that I've read in any capacity has been Loki either in YA or in AoA, because it forces the concept of Asgard and the Norse gods to operate in an earth-centric context. Godhunter is great in its way but at the end of the day it's a bunch of gods fighting an anti-god to stay alive.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nah, Aaron's Thor is loving amazing. It's nowhere close to the Strange run.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The God Butcher was great everyone should read it as it was meant to be read painted on a series of panel vans. Part of the problem with the current Doctor Strange run feels like a retread of the God Butcher especially with the background of the villain revealed. It's also starting to smell suspiciously like another "Doctor Strange needs nerfing" order from editorial.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm looking to get into the Inhumans a lot more, starting with Fraction's Inhuman run and runnning through it, Attilan Rising, Uncanny, and All-New. I read Infinity, but is Inhumanity worth reading as setup? And if so, is there an Inhumanity reading list out there?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

I'm looking to get into the Inhumans a lot more, starting with Fraction's Inhuman run and runnning through it, Attilan Rising, Uncanny, and All-New. I read Infinity, but is Inhumanity worth reading as setup? And if so, is there an Inhumanity reading list out there?

Fraction was supposed to write Inhuman but Soule ended up writing it after Fraction dropped out. All Fraction ended up doing was the two issue Inhumanity mini. Thankfully because Soule seems to have a much better grasp and vision for the Inhumans.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. Just do Inhumanity 1 &2. The only tie-in you really wanna read is the start of Ms Marvel, if you haven't already.
And if you're not digging Inhuman right away, give it a little bit after the Joe Mad, Dante focused issues. It opens up considerably and gets a lot more interesting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Inhumanity wasn't really an event so there's no reading order. It just had some ancillary tie-in issues in other titles to kind of catch up reader on what the deal was with all this Inhuman stuff going on. There's no need to track anything down. Though it you want to really get a good Inhumans experience I suggest reading Inhumans by Paul Jenkins as well as Son of M and Silent War by David Hine. I'd say that's essential Inhumans stuff that's easy to find. The Doug Moench run from the '70s is pretty good too. Carlos Pacheco also did a mini about 12 years or so ago that was pretty interesting.

Avoid the Sean McKeever run like the plague.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

What's the definitive Simonson Thor reading list?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Toxxupation posted:

What's the definitive Simonson Thor reading list?

Thor 337-382, Balder the brave 1-4

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe the Balder miniseries goes between Thor #369 and Thor #371 (Thor #370 was a fill-in issue, but not the one with Hercules).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey guys, we get a lot of questions about Marvel Unlimited in this thread or if something is on there or whatever and because of MU's frankly abysmal, uh, everything, this guy made a searchable database:

https://nightcrawler-m.herokuapp.com/

I think this is probably the best place for it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The digital comics thread is probably best and it should be in the OP of that.

Also that's a damned fine name for that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Endless Mike posted:

The digital comics thread is probably best and it should be in the OP of that.

Also that's a damned fine name for that.

I took the hint, geez!

(zoux already posted there.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I could forgive 90 percent of what's wrong with Marvel Unlimited if there was a way to create and share "Playlists" of the crossovers.
Like, if I ever want to reread the cosmic stuff that started with Annihilation I'll probably pirate it just for the preassembled reading order, Annihilation is pretty straight forward if you get a list of the order for the minis, but Conquest is more complicated and War and Reign of Kings is a complete clusterfuck.
Hickman's FF and Avengers is similar. Plus a poo poo ton of Spider-Man and X-Men. I just read Kraven's Last Hunt and it's a great story, but was a huge pain to read on MU because it's six issues over 3 different books.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Shareable playlists would be a phenomenal idea and now I'm mad that they are probably never going to add any more features to the app

e: and some kind of button to auto-fill any empty spaces in my read offline space with the next issues in a list or any given run

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mover posted:

Shareable playlists would be a phenomenal idea and now I'm mad that they are probably never going to add any more features to the app

e: and some kind of button to auto-fill any empty spaces in my read offline space with the next issues in a list or any given run

Also when you finish an issue and then gently caress off and do something else for a bit, a one click solution to read the next issue. Replace the recently read panel with a "continue reading" panel like Netflix has for "Continue viewing" where if it's a movie or tv show you haven't finished it drops you off where you left off and if it's a tv show you just finished an episode of you get the next episode.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Is Spider-Verse worth reading? And if it is, is there some sort of reading order I can follow?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Is Spider-Verse worth reading? And if it is, is there some sort of reading order I can follow?

It depends on how much you like or dislike Dan Slott. If you're like most people around here you probably won't like it. I thought it was a ton of fun though.

The reading order is pretty much the release order, as things go sometimes stuff overlaps and there's not much you can do.

Superior Spider-Man 32-33
Amazing Spider-Man 7
Edge of Spider-Verse 1-5
Spider-Man 2099 5
Amazing Spider-Man 8-9
Spider-Verse Teamup 1
Spider-Verse 1
Amazing Spider-Man 10
Spider-Woman 1
Spider-Man 2099 6
Scarlet Spiders 1
Amazing Spider-Man 11
Spider-Verse Teamup 2
Scarlet Spiders 2
Spider-Woman 2
Amazing Spider-Man 12
Spider-Man 2099 7
Spider-Verse 2
Scarlet Spiders 3
Amazing Spider-Man 13
Spider-Woman 3
Spider-Verse Teamup 3
Spider-Man 2099 8
Amazing Spider-Man 14-15
Spider-Woman 4

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 24, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
nt

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I think Spider-verse is worth reading. The main event plot line has some pretty dumb bad guys and isn't very compelling, but the side stories for all the different spider people are good to great, and their interactions are a lot of fun.

Even the main book has some really fun big heroic moments, it just tends to immediately undercut them to make the bad guys look invincible.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Hey I recently re-read Civil War and was wondering what titles tie into the whole Initiative thing?
So far I've got:
Thunderbolts
Avengers:Initiative
New Avengers
Mighty Avengers
Iron Man:Director of SHIELD

Is there anything else??

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Hey I recently re-read Civil War and was wondering what titles tie into the whole Initiative thing?
So far I've got:
Thunderbolts
New Avengers
Mighty Avengers

Is there anything else??

Ms. Marvel

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

What Silver age Wonder Woman stories are worth reading? It doesn't have to be GOOD stories, but stuff that tells you how she was utilized in the 60-70s. Besides the era where she was a Charlie's Angel.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

So far I've got:
Thunderbolts
New Avengers
Mighty Avengers

Is there anything else??

Moon Knight

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

BigRed0427 posted:

What Silver age Wonder Woman stories are worth reading? It doesn't have to be GOOD stories, but stuff that tells you how she was utilized in the 60-70s. Besides the era where she was a Charlie's Angel.

Really... none. Robert Kanigher wrote pretty much all of Wonder Woman in the Silver Age and, being brutally honest, there's literally nothing from that period that stands out. It is an unexceptional run in every way.

If you just want to get a feel for her during that era, you might just want to get one of the "Showcase Presents..." black and white phonebooks or something like that. Think there's a "75 years of Wonder Woman" book due out later in the year too that will likely have a couple of issues from that era.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

I have bad news.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shameless posted:

Really... none. Robert Kanigher wrote pretty much all of Wonder Woman in the Silver Age and, being brutally honest, there's literally nothing from that period that stands out. It is an unexceptional run in every way.

If you just want to get a feel for her during that era, you might just want to get one of the "Showcase Presents..." black and white phonebooks or something like that. Think there's a "75 years of Wonder Woman" book due out later in the year too that will likely have a couple of issues from that era.

Yea if you absolutely must read silver age WW just wait a little bit for the big 75 years thing coming in the pipe, you'll get the I guess one or two decent ones from then and a whole bunch more. There's really just not much that goes beyond 'yea that was ok'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's the one where she has to turn a penny into a million dollars or marry Steve Trevor, which will somehow mean she can't be Wonder Woman any more, which I remember being kind fun in the usual goofy Silver Age DC way.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

BigRed0427 posted:

I would say check out the JLA of the Silver Age. She was in that. it is misogynistic still but she does stuff in it. If you do not mind B&W track down the Showcase volumes.

Or! Find the Wonder Woman tv show.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Her TV show has been on my to do list for awhile now.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
How are Bitch Planet, Casanova, Five Fists of Science, Ody-C, Jughead, and Watson & Holmes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Bitch Planet is entertaining in the story as well as educational in the back, with essays and letters.

Ody-C is full of brilliant, mind-bending art but the words can't match the visuals for poo poo.

Jughead is a delight and I'm only kind of upset that I've been buying those as they come out.