Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I believe they billed that mod as "Fall of the Space Core, Part 1" or something, yeah? Did they ever release a follow-up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

QuietLion posted:

Instead of cutting corners to meet the time and budget deadlines for these final levels

I'm not sure Valve actually has time and budget deadlines

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Roro posted:

When Skyrim launched on the Workshop, they teamed up with Valve to create a Portal 2 add-on where the Space Core plummets from the sky and smashes into a destroyed house. He has several new lines and even gets two load screens for himself. I love it.

My favourite part of the advertising blurb is that it billed itself as a patch to fix the problem that Skyrim was the only major release in 2011 without Nolan North in it.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

graybook posted:

I believe they billed that mod as "Fall of the Space Core, Part 1" or something, yeah? Did they ever release a follow-up?

No, but I remember taking a look at the mod in the CK, and it looks like there was going to be a shout "Go To Space".

Another little touch; that mod changes the skill menu ever so slightly... to include Wheatley orbiting.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Also if you took the space core to the atronach forge under the mages guild you could turn it into the Dovahcore helmet.

I do love the fact that Valve can't even complete a series of skyrim mods, if that was the original intent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Davoren posted:

Also if you took the space core to the atronach forge under the mages guild you could turn it into the Dovahcore helmet.

I do love the fact that Valve can't even complete a series of skyrim mods, if that was the original intent.

If Valve creates a game with the number 3 in the title anywhere Steam instantly explodes. It was part of their Faustian bargain

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

ImpAtom posted:

If Valve creates a game with the number 3 in the title anywhere Steam instantly explodes. It was part of their Faustian bargain

I can't wait for Portal 2: 2

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Portal Infinity

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Por2l

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Portal: Revelations

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I know a lot of people were a little put off by Glados's pettier comments in the sequel but I think my favourite line is still "Look at you, soaring through the air majestically, like an eagle...

piloting a blimp."

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BioEnchanted posted:

I know a lot of people were a little put off by Glados's pettier comments in the sequel but I think my favourite line is still "Look at you, soaring through the air majestically, like an eagle...

piloting a blimp."

They actually had to cut out a bunch of Glados dialogue they recorded for when you're carrying her around in potato form because it turns out people don't enjoy having insults hurled at them constantly as try try and solve a puzzle.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
I like how, in Lego Dimensions, Glados is just as lovely and sarcastic as ever, but Gandalf doesn't seem to pick up on it. "I say, this fine lady seems quite friendly!"

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

They actually had to cut out a bunch of Glados dialogue they recorded for when you're carrying her around in potato form because it turns out people don't enjoy having insults hurled at them constantly as try try and solve a puzzle.

GLADoS's writing and particularly her way of insulting you is some of my favorite stuff. It's what drove me to finish the first Portal.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

Those games testers are incorrect. I wish there was more Glados.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

VideoGames posted:

Those games testers are incorrect. I wish there was more Glados.

If I remember it right, the issue was that the constant insulting from a character trapped in a potato was ultimately hollow, because she's stuck in a potato and can't harm you. If the game wants you to be on board with putting GLAdOS* back in charge, the last thing you want players to feel is the urge to peel her off the end of the portal device and stomp on it.

The little thing I love about Valves games is how their commentaries often talk about player training, how players innately treat things, and where early iterations of the room you're in failed to work for one reason or another. None of this Dark Souls "get good" poo poo, Valve tests the poo poo out of their games and changes things if their testers are struggling on something. They see the struggling as something they need to change.

* Why is this saved to my tablets predictive typing?

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Not a liitle thing in a game, really, but the Overwatch advertising/short trailers are loving amazing and I'd gladly watch an Overwatch movie.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

If I remember it right, the issue was that the constant insulting from a character trapped in a potato was ultimately hollow, because she's stuck in a potato and can't harm you. If the game wants you to be on board with putting GLAdOS* back in charge, the last thing you want players to feel is the urge to peel her off the end of the portal device and stomp on it.
they should possibly try focus testing with literate people, which would solve this. Portal is the opposite of a clever and subtle game and the narrative still goes over people's heads

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

they should possibly try focus testing with literate people, which would solve this. Portal is the opposite of a clever and subtle game and the narrative still goes over people's heads

Or they might be using a sample of what the larger average playerbase was likely to be.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

:goonsay:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Or they might be using a sample of what the larger average playerbase was likely to be.
I gave your mum a large but average sample and look how you turned out

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I disagree. I think people believe this because Valve pulled back the curtain. After playing Half Life 2 and Portal and listening to the commentary about how they lead the player around, use a variety of techniques to lead the player's gaze, and slowly build vocabulary for the player, I played Halo and was immediately thrown by how...just bad the level design was. Large areas with no direction, bland hallways with no purpose, attacks coming places without cue, those sorts of things felt poorly made (game mechanics aside, I'm not arguing about those).

Edit: Unless we're talking about the narrative, which is...I mean it's there I guess? Crazy robot kills people in a lab...there's not much to elaborate on.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I disagree. I think people believe this because Valve pulled back the curtain. After playing Half Life 2 and Portal and listening to the commentary about how they lead the player around, use a variety of techniques to lead the player's gaze, and slowly build vocabulary for the player, I played Halo and was immediately thrown by how...just bad the level design was. Large areas with no direction, bland hallways with no purpose, attacks coming places without cue, those sorts of things felt poorly made (game mechanics aside, I'm not arguing about those).

Edit: Unless we're talking about the narrative, which is...I mean it's there I guess? Crazy robot kills people in a lab...there's not much to elaborate on.
The narrative. It's stupid and fun and the joke is that the SHODAN overseer character is now superficially at your mercy but the game is on rails so she's not really. That's the joke, it's dumb and silly and lovingly poking at videogame fluff in a nice way, and people still go full MisterBibs about how it doesn't logically make sense.

The commentary is really good otoh and I recommend everyone with a passing interest in game design listen to it

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

people still go full MisterBibs

One of my favourite things about the new Doom is that because of that game I sent to the SA Doom thread in games and got to see this in action and it's painful to watch in a funny kind of way

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

princecoo posted:

One of my favourite things about the new Doom is that because of that game I sent to the SA Doom thread in games and got to see this in action and it's painful to watch in a funny kind of way
if you really want a treat tell him you like Fallout: New Vegas

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^^ :confused: All I'd do is ruffle your hair and say "Aww, that's so cute!" if you liked New Vegas.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

they should possibly try focus testing with literate people, which would solve this.

That wouldn't solve anything, that would be ignoring the problems the testing finds. As Neddy Seagoon says, you test for the audience you'll get, not the one you want.

Ever read the Gamasutra postmorem for Bioshock? Originally it was designed much more in line with System Shock 2, with mechanics pretty much lifted from it (its why a lot of plasmids have deleted mentions of higher-level vbersions). The only testing people who liked it were... well, them and a few others. The rest of the testers couldn't stand it, so they basically went back to square one and, based on the feedback, made a better game.

Morpheus posted:

A solid example of this happens in the new Doom game. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get to a locked-off area. I eventually discovered why: you need to direct the player's eye upward because that's not where they naturally look, and I wasn't looking for something above me to grapple onto.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
but I really did like New Vegas.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MisterBibs posted:

A solid example of this happens in the new Doom game. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get to a locked-off area. I eventually discovered why: you need to direct the player's eye upward because that's not where they naturally look, and I wasn't looking for something above me to grapple onto.
"Hmm, I've tried looking left, right, down and forward and nothing. Time to give up and post on the internet about how bad this game is"

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I had lots of fun playing Fallout New Vegas.

My favorite little thing from it is probably the Johnny Five Aces shoutout

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I had lots of fun playing Fallout New Vegas.

My favorite little thing from it is probably the Johnny Five Aces shoutout

I've played like two hours of New Vegas and I found Johnny's corpse and stole his glasses then I found Indiana Jones' corpse in a refrigerator and I stole his fedora.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

if you really want a treat tell him you like Fallout: New Vegas

Thanks for the reminder that bibs was the guy who bitched at NV's designer for daring to make parts of the game challenging.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

princecoo posted:

Is there a link to this shitstorm, because I can't find anything on the first 5 pages of the subforum.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

"Hmm, I've tried looking left, right, down and forward and nothing. Time to give up and post on the internet about how bad this game is"

That's kind of a common problem with games though? Sometimes things are above you and people barely ever look up so you never notice for seventeen minutes.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Inco posted:

Is there a link to this shitstorm, because I can't find anything on the first 5 pages of the subforum.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763691&userid=166124&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RareAcumen posted:

That's kind of a common problem with games though? Sometimes things are above you and people barely ever look up so you never notice for seventeen minutes.

I guess I can take pride in being slightly smarter than the average then. I mean people have a point the first few times it happens, sure. But like, years on when this is constantly happening you'd think they'd clue in that "oh, maybe it's above".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MisterBibs posted:

Except that Doom does a very good job of directing the player's gaze to ledges you should be jumping at by sticking green lights on them.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except that Doom does a very good job of directing the player's gaze to ledges you should be jumping at by sticking green lights on them.

lol yeah you can't get lost if you stick to a linear path because you literally just follow the green lights. if you stray from that and explore (and you should! there are secrets and poo poo, its great) it is possible i guess to forget how to get back to where you were on some of the bigger more open levels

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

princecoo posted:

lol yeah you can't get lost if you stick to a linear path because you literally just follow the green lights. if you stray from that and explore (and you should! there are secrets and poo poo, its great) it is possible i guess to forget how to get back to where you were on some of the bigger more open levels

Or you could just bring up the automap, which only shows traversable surfaces :v:.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
True.

I am waiting for MrBibs to come back and say something critical about Dooms liniarity, it should be moreso so i don't get lost and also the secrets are hard to find unless you have a guide because they are a terrible design decision and secretly i'm a CUTTLEFISH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

And a bit later, Fallout 4 came out and - faith and begorrah - you pretty much could go any direction from your starting location (well, downward, to the left/west, or to the right/east), with no nonsensical barriers, and it was more fun for it.

Can "A better developer made the numbered sequel" be a Little Thing?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, I noticed the green light, after I was standing on counter and directly facing it. I think the one secret I talked about though would've benefited from a light flickering from it. It was random I looked up.

Another little thing that Valve gets right that they discuss in their commentaries: the best way to get players to beeline for something is make it lighter than the other nearby areas.

princecoo posted:

I am waiting for MrBibs to come back and say something critical about Dooms liniarity, it should be moreso so i don't get lost and also the secrets are hard to find unless you have a guide because they are a terrible design decision and secretly i'm a CUTTLEFISH

Doom is a linear shooter (with deviations for secrets) in between arenas. The best levels are ones that play more like the original Doom's maps (the Foundry comes to mind), which were puzzles in their own right.

Hell, make that it's own Little Thing for D44m or Doom4 or whatever: the Foundry level. A twist of a place where most of your time is spent puzzling out the location of the keys to open doors to open new areas with new locked doors with combat being the fluff in between. Love that level.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 08:09 on May 28, 2016