Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hur hur we can't use TeamCity for CI/CD because it's Java and it's too easy to call it "TeamShitty."

Instead we'll send off cron jobs to poll our git repositories, and trigger a rebuild on deltas using a Cygwin runtime. I know, to make it cross-platform-compatible we'll also use autotools!

I think you've found the real TeamShitty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Mniot posted:

I think you've found the real TeamShitty.

Ahh but at least it doesn't use slow Java!

(previous job was benchmarking and analyzing Java code generation quality for semiconductors)

Want death.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Jokes on them when you pull those scripts seamlessly into a real CI setup.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

revmoo posted:

Jokes on them when you pull those scripts seamlessly into a real CI setup.

That would violate the very clear and robust standard we are adopting!

Edit: After getting some rough build instructions, because of course nothing built:

Me: I'm doing a git reset to clear out all the stuff autotools made...
Me: Wow this is taking awhile?
Them: Are you on Windows?
Me: Using Cygwin.
Them: Are you on Windows?
Me: I guess so.
Them: Everything is slower on Windows. :smug:

I am working with Slashdot posters from 2002. This all probably runs on a Beowulf cluster of Linux xboxes.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 24, 2016

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

pigdog posted:

:raise: That's perfectly reasonable.

it isn't.

when you are trying to coordinate multiple teams across multiple disciplines over weeks/months, you need mechanisms that measure confidence of delivery. regardless, the way scrum does task estimation (or most anything beyond frequent iteration) is bad and can be done better.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

FamDav posted:

it isn't.

when you are trying to coordinate multiple teams across multiple disciplines over weeks/months, you need mechanisms that measure confidence of delivery. regardless, the way scrum does task estimation (or most anything beyond frequent iteration) is bad and can be done better.

All estimation is stupid, but at least Scrum has the developers themselves estimate by team consensus.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Scrum forces you to discard everyone's estimates for a given task in favor of a single number. This means you're both losing out on the spread of estimates (does one person think 1 day while another thinks a week? Or does everyone agree on 3 days?) as well as how an individual thinks they will perform. It also forces you to do dumb stuff like scrum poker or hidden bidding to avoid individuals taking over the points process.

If you take the full set of estimates and use repeated sampling, you can start to make statements about the uncertainty of project deadlines that you just cannot with scrum. This is because scrum points were meant obfuscate timetables to management instead of quantify uncertainty.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Everyone spends waaaaaaay too much time worrying about estimates and points and time and all that crap. It's pointless.

Just do sprints. Put things in there you are pretty sure you can get done inside of the sprint timeline. If you fail try to improve next sprint.

That's it. Now fire your Agile consultant.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
The amount of risk management on a project should roughly correlate to the amount of value at risk for that particular project.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Vulture Culture posted:

The amount of risk management on a project should roughly correlate to the amount of value at risk for that particular project.

I find it usually correlates more cloely to levels of bureaucracy in a company

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Gounads posted:

I find it usually correlates more cloely to levels of bureaucracy in a company
Sadly true. Bikesheds for everyone, you just need to agree on what color!

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I once worked for a company that had a two level change-review board plus a release-board.

Did they make missile software? Medical software? No. They made educational software for kids.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Gounads posted:

I once worked for a company that had a two level change-review board plus a release-board.

Did they make missile software? Medical software? No. They made educational software for kids.

Three tiers of "Are there any dicks in this release? No? Ship it."

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

captkirk posted:

Three tiers of "Are there any dicks in this release? No? Ship it."

Exactly.

Which reminds me of one April Fools day...

I'm in a team-lead position. Manager of engineering above me. I conspire with the Director of engineering in corporate office, and president of our division to play a prank on the manager. Director calls an emergency phone meeting with the 4 of us to yell about the easter egg a teacher just found that consisted of a picture of one of our developers suggesting kids smoke weed. We photoshopped up some convincing screenshots. Director really hams it up with a good 5 minutes of yelling. Puts us on hold to "Talk with lawyer". About that time we couldn't keep a straight face anymore.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Today I did things with git that weren't commit/push/pull and I feel like a goddamn wizard

like they were barely a step above a complicated merge but as far as I'm concerned I basically said abracadabra and the thing I wanted to happen happened.

:smuggo:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Gounads posted:

This was me, except it concerned photos of Kate Middleton's wedding and stories about what Kim Kardashian was wearing. I re-engineered our infrastructure release processes specifically to end-run around the CAB without them being entirely aware of it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I mean, we can't just not paint the bike shed.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Then comes the question of what kind of varnish and then the wood should be.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

necrobobsledder posted:

Then comes the question of what kind of varnish and then the wood should be.

Wood? I don't want to use wood, we need something sleek and shiny (or alternatively concrete and steel beams with construction markings still on everything - gotta keep trying to convince people that Industrial Modern isn't a lovely design for new construction!).

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Che Delilas posted:

Wood? I don't want to use wood, we need something sleek and shiny (or alternatively concrete and steel beams with construction markings still on everything - gotta keep trying to convince people that Industrial Modern isn't a lovely design for new construction!).

That doesn't sound like it'll satisfy the "Green Construction" bullet point in the mission statement :colbert:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Munkeymon posted:

That doesn't sound like it'll satisfy the "Green Construction" bullet point in the mission statement :colbert:

The more stone and metal I rip out of the ground and spend energy to process, the fewer precious trees we will have to cut down!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Ah, gently caress me.

So, our senior most developer on our team has been assigned to work on 3 important interfaces for our project. Like, "contractually obligated or company will take a huge reputation hit and lose a lot of money" type big deals. She was assigned to start working on this in March. We finally have seen what "work" she has done in those 3 months.

All she has done is correcting spelling errors and cleaning up comments in the existing code. She hasn't made any of the changes needed for any of these projects. We have to have these out there by June 18th, and it is going to need heavy testing. Another decently smart developer on my team and I are now in damage control, "crank out 3 months of work in 2 weeks" mode.

Whee.

A big kicker is that we had had a sudden shift to where working from home and working outside of normal working hours has started to get some push back. I think this may be part of it, because the person who hasn't been doing any work has been working from home almost the entire time. I kind of feel for her, she has a son who has all kinds of health and mental issues(in particular he suffers from extreme anxiety) and her mother just passed away, but this is really putting the rest of us in a big pickle.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
In some reference to the thread topic... so why wasn't her lack of development contributions noticed in regular meetings somehow? Agile is supposed to at least identify if someone's gotten blocked or not getting much headway done early on at least, and in waterfall you're supposed to hit certain milestones or accept project timeline creep. So what allowed the personal problems to spread?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Yeah, letting someone work in isolation for three months sounds insane to me.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I think it really just came down to her being one of the most senior members of the team resulting in her updates of "still working on x project" to just be accepted at face value. These really had no milestones beyond "competed on this date" and our "scrum" meetings are completely devoid of the kind of details i expect out of them based on previous experience.

I think really the base problem is that this company is growing very fast, its IT projects are likewise growing, and the project management and procedures just haven't been able to keep up.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Being a good manager is a lot like being a good parent and even if you've never had children before you can pretty clearly tell when someone's just a bad parent. Do we blame children for their actions as a society or do we blame their parents? I would try to temper expectations to some degree, avoid a death march (you're on one now it sounds like, but you have to stop it or quit basically - I think everyone should experience a death march at least once in their careers to understand why we spend time to plan at all), and try to deliver something half-rear end. If the death march is unavoidable, I'd get a team B involved ASAP to take over after the death march is over and the rest of you folks are recovering either on a beach somewhere, another company, or in a looney bin.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Well, I don't think we will have any problems getting the most important one with a 100% inflexible date done with at least a week where we can test the hell out of it. The thing about all of these things is that none of them are particularly hard or complicated. So I don't think we are being thrown under the bus for this.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Khisanth Magus posted:

Well, I don't think we will have any problems getting the most important one with a 100% inflexible date done with at least a week where we can test the hell out of it. The thing about all of these things is that none of them are particularly hard or complicated. So I don't think we are being thrown under the bus for this.

The one thing you need to do is make it clear that you are doing this work and not let her swoop in and take any credit for it. She didn't "do the hard part" or "lead the team to accomplish this goal" or any of that poo poo.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Khisanth Magus posted:

I think it really just came down to her being one of the most senior members of the team resulting in her updates of "still working on x project" to just be accepted at face value. These really had no milestones beyond "competed on this date" and our "scrum" meetings are completely devoid of the kind of details i expect out of them based on previous experience.

I think really the base problem is that this company is growing very fast, its IT projects are likewise growing, and the project management and procedures just haven't been able to keep up.
I can't even blame this person for not wanting to do any work. I get that the company is growing, yeah, but this is irresponsible Mickey Mouse poo poo to the most extreme degree. A single person is in charge of outsized deliverables instead of small stories, no code review is happening, the client isn't engaged in any of the changes that are happening (read: you are doing waterfall), and management is absolutely clueless about what their critical projects look like for months? The whole company deserves to burn down over a red stapler.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Vulture Culture posted:

I can't even blame this person for not wanting to do any work. I get that the company is growing, yeah, but this is irresponsible Mickey Mouse poo poo to the most extreme degree. A single person is in charge of outsized deliverables instead of small stories, no code review is happening, the client isn't engaged in any of the changes that are happening (read: you are doing waterfall), and management is absolutely clueless about what their critical projects look like for months? The whole company deserves to burn down over a red stapler.

:agreed:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Well, it doesn't help that our manager is in California and almost all of the team is in Iowa. That is one thing I've never understood.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Khisanth Magus posted:

Well, it doesn't help that our manager is in California and almost all of the team is in Iowa. That is one thing I've never understood.

I have developers in Bulgaria and India and I know what they're doing every day. Touching people is overrated.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Che Delilas posted:

The one thing you need to do is make it clear that you are doing this work and not let her swoop in and take any credit for it. She didn't "do the hard part" or "lead the team to accomplish this goal" or any of that poo poo.

And then enjoy working at a place where every project ends in a mad dash to tattle on each other.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Mniot posted:

And then enjoy working at a place where every project ends in a mad dash to tattle on each other.

Yeah, ensuring you get the credit doesn't really solve one bit of what's actually the problem at the workplace.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Gounads posted:

Touching people is overrated.

Only within the workplace :heysexy:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I do think that this disaster is going to result in changes in how we do things. If not initiated by my manager I will start proposing things, as I don't appreciate putting out other people's fires, no matter how good I am at doing it.

And it has been made clear to everyone who needs to know what is happening with these projects.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

I do think that this disaster is going to result in changes in how we do things. If not initiated by my manager I will start proposing things, as I don't appreciate putting out other people's fires, no matter how good I am at doing it.

And it has been made clear to everyone who needs to know what is happening with these projects.

It's not a disaster for the people who failed to plan, do the work, or followup. You're going to get it done; your client isn't going to complain.

Good luck!

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Sounds like you have an inexperienced project manager. You know, one who hasn't had all sense of trust beaten out of him/her.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Sounds like you have an inexperienced project manager. You know, one who hasn't had all sense of trust beaten out of him/her.

The irony is that our original manager, who was local, knew what he was doing, kept abreast of things, and took no poo poo from anyone was demoted and this other manager put in his place. I don't think this would have happened under the team's original manager.

In related news, we have since discovered that the requirements we were given for the absolutely critical project were completely wrong, requiring a rewrite of most of the work we have done over the past few days. Luckily it doesn't invalidate everything we have done, but unfortunately the part we had the wrong requirements for is the base part that everything is built on. The other parts that have been completed will only need minor changes to fix under these new requirements, but the actual most basic part of it will require a complete rewrite.

Basically gently caress the people who took in documented the requirements for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Khisanth Magus posted:

In related news, we have since discovered that the requirements we were given for the absolutely critical project were completely wrong, requiring a rewrite of most of the work we have done over the past few days.
"discovered"

e: sorry for excessive schadenfreude

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 1, 2016