Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Have you only been following the thread for an hour or something

What he said is like not knowing what evaporation is and then telling people therefore rain must all come from outer space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

And what you said is like pointing at a cloud and grunting.

It's great that you know, and it's reasonable to expect that those who don't know probably want to (I certainly do) but you aren't exactly inspiring a desire to learn.

From what I gather, these dispensaries are in bed with the federal liberals somehow, either because or as a result of their being officially licensed to sell pot, and they're abusing that position to force out... whom? People who can't get licenses and decide "gently caress it let's open a store anyway"? Who are the players? How many of them are awful people? Why are we angry? Help us out here.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 27, 2016

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

flakeloaf posted:

And what you said is like pointing at a cloud and grunting.

It's great that you know, and it's reasonable to expect that those who don't know probably want to (I certainly do) but you aren't exactly inspiring a desire to learn.

From what I gather, these dispensaries are in bed with the federal liberals somehow, either because or as a result of their being officially licensed to sell pot, and they're abusing that position to force out... whom? People who can't get licenses and decide "gently caress it let's open a store anyway"? Who are the players? How many of them are awful people? Why are we angry? Help us out here.

Fair enough, I've had a long day and it's not CanPol's fault. I get particularly shirty when people imply all dispensaries are criminals.

If you want to ask questions fire away. I will answer them between rounds of Overwatch.

Edit: I see you edited in a question right as I quoted. Here's the basic answer:

There are two systems for producing cannabis. The first system was created by Health Canada in 2001, called the Medical Marijuana Access Regulations (MMAR). Under the MMAR system, patients diagnosed by a physician as having a need for medical cannabis were given a licence to produce it.

(I'm going to simplify and condense all of this from here on out)

People who can't for whatever reason grow their own weed sue to be allowed to buy it from other designees. The government loses the suit and comes back with a limit of two patients per grow license (aka the bare minimum). People sue again saying it's insufficient, government loses again, this nonsense goes on and on for a bit.

Harper gets elected. Boo. He institutes new regulations, the Medical Marijuana Production Regulations (MMPR), which centralizes all production of medical cannabis in the hands of a few deep pocketed agricorps. All the MMAR growers are told to destroy their plants and submit to the new regs. New applicants are limited, all the usual horse poo poo nonsense goes on. The quality of the cannabis they begin producing is terrible, patients are outraged at the cost and the lack of certain strains, and the fact that edibles and tinctures are still forbidden, etc etc etc

MMAR patients sue to overturn the MMPR, arguing the MMPR doesn't respect their rights.

While this is being fought out in the courts, dispensaries begin popping up as a vehicle to take legally grown MMAR cannabis and supply it to people who either couldn't find a physician who would give them an MMPR cert (remember, the college of physicians has forbidden its members for prescribing cannabis- in case you wondered why it's always naturopaths writing these scrips, that's why!) or people who didn't want to buy their cannabis mail order from a lovely grower who doesn't wash off the pesticides Health Canada forces them to use etc etc. So the dispensaries become the legal loophole through which cannabis moves from designated growers to patients who have legitimately seen a health practitioner of some kind.

Anyhoo, the Allard trial (the MMAR vs. MMPR suit) wrapped up a few months ago. The judge found that the MMPR infringes on patients Section 7 charter rights and gave the government 6 months to fix it. In his decision the judge talks extensively about the inadequacies of the Licensed Producer system and says he finds the evidence that dispensaries serve a meaningful role in medical cannabis to be deeply relevant to his decision. So technically the MMAR is still in force, meaning that dispensaries continue to have a quasi legal status that the courts have hinted they are willing to expand on if the government keeps pushing this issue.

Franks Happy Place fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 27, 2016

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I mean, they are criminals. They traffic marihuana, a schedule II controlled substance.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Australia to Canada: Help us with refugee crisis

gently caress off Australia, you could easily accept refugees, you just choose to be a shithole country full of racists. Seriously, give the Let's Learn About Nauru thread a read and get a rage boner about how Australia treats refugees.

Remember that Canada could always be worse: it could be full of Australians.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 27, 2016

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Franks Happy Place posted:

This is possibly the stupidest thing ever posted in CanPol, so give yourself a pat on the back.

For those of you who aren't gibbering dipfuck and want the correct answer, the vast majority of cannabis sold in dispensaries is back door MMAR grown weed.

You on a PR outreach or something?

And just to be clear, what you're saying is the stringently licensed MMAR/MMPR grow ops are risking their incredibly valuable licenses to sell to the grey market? Edit 2: If I read your edit correctly you're saying the MMAR ops either don't have to be licensed or don't have to follow the licensing procedures that MMPR ops do.

Edit:

Fair enough, I've had a long day and it's not CanPol's fault. I get particularly shirty when people imply all dispensaries are criminals.

Second question, and it may seem like meaningless pedantry, but how would you characterize dispensaries that are operating in contravention of both the MMAR/MMPR and local by-laws (As they are in Toronto)? Bearing in mind that they're claiming to sell a medicinal product with no oversight as they are operating extra-legally.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 27, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

If you want to ask questions fire away. I will answer them between rounds of Overwatch.

e: I see you edited to answer my edit while I was typing

So you're saying that there are no significant online or storefront presences for the organized crime groups that were, up until very recently, the large incumbents for weed production and sale in Canada?

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 27, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

While this is being fought out in the courts, dispensaries begin popping up as a vehicle to take legally grown MMAR cannabis and supply it to people who either couldn't find a physician who would give them an MMPR cert (remember, the college of physicians has forbidden its members for prescribing cannabis- in case you wondered why it's always naturopaths writing these scrips, that's why!) or

The Ontario College's website says something very different. Medical doctors in Ontario most definitely may prescribe dried marijuana, subject to restrictions etc etc.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
gently caress pot has to be near the top of the dumbest things we argue about in society, a society where alcohol and smokes are legal, both of which are magnitudes worse for you than pot. just legalise it and tax it already and go argue about the next stupidest thing on the list

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

The Ontario College's website says something very different. Medical doctors in Ontario most definitely may prescribe dried marijuana, subject to restrictions etc etc.

It's a bigger problem in BC, but even in Ontario look at all the poo poo the few doctors who are willing to write scrip for veterans are taking for "writing too many". Shockingly, as a result, doctors are very reluctant to advertise or make known they are open minded enough to talk about it with patients.

I have spent the last six months trying to find a doctor that will serve as a medical cannabis patient advocate on the board of a very well respected national nonprofit, and been told by dozens of doctors that there's no way in hell they can risk that kind of heat from the college, so please don't handwave this problem away like I'm not intimately familiar with how the medical establishment treats medical cannabis.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Do it ironically posted:

gently caress pot has to be near the top of the dumbest things we argue about in society, a society where alcohol and smokes are legal, both of which are magnitudes worse for you than pot. just legalise it and tax it already and go argue about the next stupidest thing on the list

It's very silly, yes.

It's also amusing that a lobbyist and advocate for legalization chose to call a member of the public a gibbering dipfuck, presumably as part of his public outreach campaign.

Wait, I have another question: Do naturopaths only prescribe certified organic marijuana?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 27, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

If I needed pot and the straight road went through a "naturopathic doctor", I think I'd rather take my chances at the skateboard park thanks.

I have spent the last six months trying to find a doctor that will serve as a medical cannabis patient advocate on the board of a very well respected national nonprofit, and been told by dozens of doctors that there's no way in hell they can risk that kind of heat from the college, so please don't handwave this problem away like I'm not intimately familiar with how the medical establishment treats medical cannabis.

There's still a difference between "The governing body forbids it" and "Its members frown upon it and nobody wants to rock the boat". It's those kinds of ambiguities that make people ask questions.

Also this isn't uno, you can play the "something is so" and the "I know why it is so" cards at the same time instead of playing one and saving the other for a gotcha masterstroke.

e: also this is so tangentially related to canpol that it the whole discussion should probably move to A/T so someone there can gas it and train anyone who tries to speak of it again to NMD

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 27, 2016

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
https://twitter.com/RosieBarton/status/736036088872087552

https://twitter.com/RosieBarton/status/736036496801681409

:byewhore:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

So how much of this wish list is the Province going to outright reject? The mayors are asking for a lot and asking for massive stuff that in the past the Province has swiftly rejected before (ie. a share of the carbon tax, comprehensive road pricing and control over Translink). There is now a deadline and a fear that by doing nothing the region could miss out on federal funds so the Mayors may think they have a bit of extra leverage on the Province. Could the Province blink and let Vancouver go to the back of the line for Federal funding?

On twitter I saw some commentary about how the Province is stepping backward from saying they'd fully fund 1/3rd of a 10 year vision, and are now only saying they're on board for this tiny initial slice of preliminary work. It could just be some confusion but maybe we'll see some articles about this tomorrow.

Glancing over the list of how the region will assemble its $1.9 billion share I'm overall still more in favour with the 0.5 cent sales tax scheme that was pitched during the referendum. $216 million is going to come from a new development levy toward transit. At the moment the region directs development levies toward all sorts of general urban improvements, such as park improvements, affordable housing, childcare, and arts. Depending on how this levy is implemented in practice this may mean that all these things are now funded less in favour of money going toward transit. It's yet again another example of the province dumping their responsibilities on the municipalities and forcing the municipalities to cut services to compensate.

Raising property taxes is here because it's basically the last option the mayors have left. I've been pretty neutral to negative on property taxes and I can understand why the mayors have been so reluctant to increase their use. There are massive differences between property valuations throughout the region and it creates inequities where there are areas that are funding Translink significantly more than others but are not at all priorities for transit expansion. As other posters in this thread have mentioned before, inequities can create enemies that will try to roll back services they pay for but do not benefit from. It's actually remarkable that the many mayors in the region are on the same page on transit. It is not far fetched to imagine a Rob Fordlike being elected in West Van that wants out and derails everything.

Full PDF document from the Mayors about this here: http://www.translink.ca/-/media/Doc...Year%20Plan.pdf

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 27, 2016

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

infernal machines posted:

Wait, I have another question: Do naturopaths only prescribe certified organic marijuana?

I only smoke homeopathic cannabis.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Femtosecond posted:

So how much of this wish list is the Province going to outright reject? The mayors are asking for a lot and asking for massive stuff that in the past the Province has swiftly rejected before (ie. a share of the carbon tax, comprehensive road pricing and control over Translink). There is now a deadline and a fear that by doing nothing the region could miss out on federal funds so the Mayors may think they have a bit of extra leverage on the Province. Could the Province blink and let Vancouver go to the back of the line for Federal funding?

On twitter I saw some commentary about how the Province is stepping backward from saying they'd fully fund 1/3rd of a 10 year vision, and are now only saying they're on board for this tiny initial slice of preliminary work. It could just be some confusion but maybe we'll see some articles about this tomorrow.

Glancing over the list of how the region will assemble its $1.9 billion share I'm overall still more in favour with the 0.5 cent sales tax scheme that was pitched during the referendum. $216 million is going to come from a new development levy toward transit. At the moment the region directs development levies toward all sorts of general urban improvements, such as park improvements, affordable housing, childcare, and arts. Depending on how this levy is implemented in practice this may mean that all these things are now funded less in favour of money going toward transit. It's yet again another example of the province dumping their responsibilities on the municipalities and forcing the municipalities to cut services to compensate.

Raising property taxes is here because it's basically the last option the mayors have left. I've been pretty neutral to negative on property taxes and I can understand why the mayors have been so reluctant to increase their use. There are massive differences between property valuations throughout the region and it creates inequities where there are areas that are funding Translink significantly more than others but are not at all priorities for transit expansion. As other posters in this thread have mentioned before, inequities can create enemies that will try to roll back services they pay for but do not benefit from. It's actually remarkable that the many mayors in the region are on the same page on transit. It is not far fetched to imagine a Rob Fordlike being elected in West Van that wants out and derails everything.

Full PDF document from the Mayors about this here: http://www.translink.ca/-/media/Doc...Year%20Plan.pdf

The Straight sees it the same way. The province wants to take the money the municipalities currently receive for civic services and use it as the provincial "share" for transit, which indeed just downloads the cost onto the municipalities. With that money now going to the province they'll need to find a new source of revenue to pay for libraries, parks etc.

http://www.straight.com/news/706376/heres-whats-really-going-between-bc-liberal-government-and-translinks-mayors-council

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
https://twitter.com/LoopEmma/status/736057022517411841

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That sucks.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
infernal machines why are you a weed hater? If you visit a good dispensary you will be referred to a "doctor" for a 'legal prescription'. Not sure what you aren't getting.

Seems like they are only raiding kensington market dispensaries. No loss slamming the hipsters imo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

jm20 posted:

infernal machines why are you a weed hater? If you visit a good dispensary you will be referred to a "doctor" for a 'legal prescription'. Not sure what you aren't getting.

Seems like they are only raiding kensington market dispensaries. No loss slamming the hipsters imo.

They raided dispensaries city wide, check the news, coverage has gone a lot further since the initial noon raids.

I have no qualms with pot, moral or otherwise, but I think it's hilarious that a bunch of people decided to start selling what is still an illegal drug openly and are somehow salty over the police coming down on them like a ton of bricks.

Legalization is not a done deal, it's not even decriminalized, and getting sloppy with skype-session naturopaths and equivalent script prescriptions is a surefire way to get the law on your rear end. There are issues with public perception of the unlicensed dispensaries too, helpfully addressed by calling people gibbering dipfucks.

For now it's being sold as medicine, advertised as medicine, and prescribed as medicine, yet none of these places (in Toronto) are under any kind of regulatory regime to ensure purity or quality of product. That seems like a problem to me.

Edit: Also, either legal growers are selling to places unlicensed to sell it (As Frank's Happy Place claims), or it's being sourced from the black market, neither of which paints a rosy picture.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 27, 2016

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

I'm inclined to agree, but I could easily believe a lot of them were just naïve 20-somethings

* This job will be amaaaazing as long as the libs don't lib
* Goes to jail.

Yeah, a little naive.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Whiskey Sours posted:

I only smoke homeopathic cannabis.

That's just a rolling paper that someone left in the same room as a bag of weed, right?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Those hashtags are stupid.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Prov Libs gonna...do something good?

Indefinate ban on Fracking is pretty cool

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

They raided dispensaries city wide, check the news, coverage has gone a lot further since the initial noon raids.

I have no qualms with pot, moral or otherwise, but I think it's hilarious that a bunch of people decided to start selling what is still an illegal drug openly and are somehow salty over the police coming down on them like a ton of bricks.

Legalization is not a done deal, it's not even decriminalized, and getting sloppy with skype-session naturopaths and equivalent script prescriptions is a surefire way to get the law on your rear end. There are issues with public perception of the unlicensed dispensaries too, helpfully addressed by calling people gibbering dipfucks.

For now it's being sold as medicine, advertised as medicine, and prescribed as medicine, yet none of these places (in Toronto) are under any kind of regulatory regime to ensure purity or quality of product. That seems like a problem to me.

Edit: Also, either legal growers are selling to places unlicensed to sell it (As Frank's Happy Place claims), or it's being sourced from the black market, neither of which paints a rosy picture.

http://www.collegeofnaturopaths.on.ca/ We legitimize these people, but you hate on weed entrepreneurs :iiam:

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is there actually a substantial amount of natural gas potential in NB? Because to me this kinda sounds like Ontario imposing a moratorium on oil sands development.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

Good for them.

jm20 posted:

http://www.collegeofnaturopaths.on.ca/ We legitimize these people, but you hate on weed entrepreneurs :iiam:

The solution is to never have legitimized them in the first place, and I'm genuinely curious how they became an established and recognized group whose members are allowed to call themselves "doctors" instead of a fringe group who were regulated into oblivion before they could ruin a perfectly good lab coat by spilling snake oil on it.

quote:

British Columbia has the largest scope of practice in Canada allowing certified NDs to prescribe pharmaceuticals and perform minor surgeries.

:wtc:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Guy DeBorgore posted:

Is there actually a substantial amount of natural gas potential in NB? Because to me this kinda sounds like Ontario imposing a moratorium on oil sands development.

According to this article:

quote:

The sought after gas deposits are found in the Frederick Brook Shale, a geological basin in the southern half of the province. The New Brunswick government estimates there are 80 trillion cubic feet (tcf) of gas reserves in the Frederick Brook Shale.

By comparison, the Marcellus shale gas play in West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New York is estimated to have 1,500 tcf of shale gas.

[...]

Corridor Resources was the first company to start discussing a test site that would use the controversial mining practice known as hydraulic fracturing or hydro-fracking. The company announced in 2010 that it found more natural gas in place in southern New Brunswick than is available in all of western Canada's proven reserves.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

90 arrests at 43 dispensaries, 186 charges laid

Chris Reynolds posted:

269 kilos of dried marijuana seized, 30 kilos of hash, plus a massive amount of edibles": 142 kilos of cookies, 129 kilos of candies.
71 criminal charges - mostly trafficking or possession for the purpose of trafficking - were laid in total.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 27, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Marc Emery posted:

Thursday's raids "the most despicable mass arrests ever in this country," including October Crisis and '81 bath house raids

I can't imagine why anyone isn't taking their side seriously.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Fracking is kind of a hot-button issue for New Brunswick, one of the few things that get people outside holding protest signs. NB Libs are terrified of protests - it's what kept them from selling off NB Power ~5 years back.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

New NDP leader?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

New NDP leader?

Not enough hyperbole yet.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I hope the government is investigating ways to make pot legal, but still arrest pot advocates so I never have to deal with them.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Convention update!

Sooooo there is a literal dance off between junior high girls going on here. With costumes and choreography

Make you own jokes (we have nothing to do with it for the record. they just booked it for the same time as us)

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
At the 2011 NDP convention I remember that they had an actor impersonate Tommy Douglas and give the exact same speech that he had given at the NDP's founding convention fifty years earlier. I remember thinking there was something both kitschy and perverse about recreating Douglas' slogans and words at the same time that the party was trying to remove any hint of socialism from the party constitution.

Then I went to one of the Manning Centre's annual conferences and I remember they had an actor impersonating John A. McDonald who walked around the convention floor asking Canadian history trivia and giving out T-shirts that said "Conservative" on them. Have your venerated historical figure handing out t-shirts didn't exactly scream "gravitas".

I always thought that in a symbolic way each of these incidents tells us something about each party and how they relate to the past. Do you Liberals have any equally kitschy ways of plundering your historical legacy? I mean, other than the walking T-Shirt that you elected as your leader.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Helsing posted:

At the 2011 NDP convention I remember that they had an actor impersonate Tommy Douglas and give the exact same speech that he had given at the NDP's founding convention fifty years earlier. I remember thinking there was something both kitschy and perverse about recreating Douglas' slogans and words at the same time that the party was trying to remove any hint of socialism from the party constitution.

Then I went to one of the Manning Centre's annual conferences and I remember they had an actor impersonating John A. McDonald who walked around the convention floor asking Canadian history trivia and giving out T-shirts that said "Conservative" on them. Have your venerated historical figure handing out t-shirts didn't exactly scream "gravitas".

I always thought that in a symbolic way each of these incidents tells us something about each party and how they relate to the past. Do you Liberals have any equally kitschy ways of plundering your historical legacy? I mean, other than the walking T-Shirt that you elected as your leader.
Picking Pierre Elliot Trudeau's son to head the LPC.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

I called it that he intends to be the new frontman for AC/DC.

Then Axl Rose could lead the CPC to victory in the next Federal election. He's already exceptionally good at stalling things out so they don't happen.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

InfiniteZero posted:

I called it that he intends to be the new frontman for AC/DC.

Then Axl Rose could lead the CPC to victory in the next Federal election. He's already exceptionally good at stalling things out so they don't happen.

"CPC makes second attempt to impose Chinese Democracy on Canadians"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

Marc Emery is a goddamn idiot and, insofar as it's possible to deserve to go to US federal prison, he deserves it just for being an idiot and an insufferable one at that.

The pot legalization movement is its own worst enemy.