Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Good Listener posted:

I hate how the artist tries to be cutesy in Take it to the Tinkersons and has things randomly change in each panel like shirts, hats, background things etc. Like...it's just obnoxious guy, cut it out.

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Fort Knox, sorry. I got my bad comics mixed up.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

A golf joke. Great. Just what this comic needs.

F Minus

Mary Worth

A long tradition, is there? :allears:

Rex Morgan MD

What in the hell did she do to that teddy bear? She's like 5, and presumably this must have been up there for at least a couple years or she'd remember it, and also I assume it was new when she got it.

Secret Agent X-9

More behind-the-scenes old-time FBI action!

Apartment 3-G

She's already at "I'm gonna cook and clean for you"? She really did turn entirely around.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

All these girls trying to trick Piro into loving them. He is a (presumably heterosexual) college-age male who likes sleeping in other peoples' homes. Just be like, "Hey, you wanna?" Even if he says no, at least your not the kind of person who tries to trick people into loving you.
The punchline is that there are powerful forces in their universe that prevent anyone from ever having sex with anyone else.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

In case you were wondering who they are...

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Worst Comic in this thread

Heavenly Nostrils

Big Nate

Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Cul de Sac

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

All these girls trying to trick Piro into loving them. He is a (presumably heterosexual) college-age male who likes sleeping in other peoples' homes. Just be like, "Hey, you wanna?" Even if he says no, at least your not the kind of person who tries to trick people into loving you.

I like how that "awful, shallow bitch" Tiffany is excited for both types of movies. She appreciates old silent films as funny, meaning she can probably enjoy classic physical comedy like Chaplain (exactly the thing that makes Piro "deep"), but also can chill and watch a campy 70s film like Barbarella (so she's as relaxed and fun-loving as Des). But, her interest is seen as a nuisance and her personality still vapid, despite this being a new dimension no one has seen before.

I used to not hate Luann. I mean, I didn't like it, but it wasn't anything to be mad about. It seemed like a comic stuck in the Breakfast Club or Revenge of the Nerds-era. Tiffany wasn't bad because she was Tiffany, she was a cipher for Stan Gable or Heather Chandler; every blonde, privileged bully. But man, ever since they graduated, this comic just infuriates me in a way that only rivals Rose is Rose or 9CL.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Whelp, now I'm watching Barbarella. At least something good came out of the scrawled nightmare of misguided hormones and misplaced slut-shaming that is Luann.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Workers_of_the_World

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Whoops Sisters

Illustrating Webster

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Dave’s Delicatessen (click for big)

Mopsy

Feiffer (click for big)

Jaf

Wee Pals (click for big)

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTpxeNQfDo4

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Now why would Everett True have an issue with organized labor? He's always been an advocate of the little g-

quote:

Many IWW members opposed United States participation in World War I.

Oh. :smith:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Not to mention that the Wobblies were probably the largest and most radical trade union around in those days. I don't think True liked them even before the war.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

She's already at "I'm gonna cook and clean for you"? She really did turn entirely around.

You know, when this arc started, for a little bit I thought "hey, this seems like it might be going in a surprisingly progressive direction!" Oh, how naive I was.

Celebrity Ghost posted:

I like how that "awful, shallow bitch" Tiffany is excited for both types of movies. She appreciates old silent films as funny, meaning she can probably enjoy classic physical comedy like Chaplain (exactly the thing that makes Piro "deep"), but also can chill and watch a campy 70s film like Barbarella (so she's as relaxed and fun-loving as Des). But, her interest is seen as a nuisance and her personality still vapid, despite this being a new dimension no one has seen before.

I used to not hate Luann. I mean, I didn't like it, but it wasn't anything to be mad about. It seemed like a comic stuck in the Breakfast Club or Revenge of the Nerds-era. Tiffany wasn't bad because she was Tiffany, she was a cipher for Stan Gable or Heather Chandler; every blonde, privileged bully. But man, ever since they graduated, this comic just infuriates me in a way that only rivals Rose is Rose or 9CL.

It is amazing just how much character and depth they've managed to inadvertently give Tiffany.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Now why would Everett True have an issue with organized labor? He's always been an advocate of the little g-

Oh. :smith:

I noticed reading the IWW wiki page, it was illegal to not own war bonds? How long did that last?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set have simple tastes.

Working Daze is dead on its feet.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix works the clock, not the job.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Pogo (May 28, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Five (December 13-15, 1954)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Wow that's a really bad colorist fuckup

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Oh my goodness, what a thing to say. Bernice isn't that kind of girl, she would never! She just wants to get to know Piro better. Perhaps after they've known each other for a few months he might invite her to lunch (dinner would probably be too forward) and then eventually they might consider holding hands, or perhaps a kiss on the cheek. If that goes well, after a few years they could get engaged, and at that time maybe a single kiss on the lips could be permitted. After several years of marriage it might finally be time to sleep in the same bed (without touching, of course). Don't you know that only filthy whores like Tiffany want to have sex?

(And it's just Bernice who wants Piro, Dez is trying to help her and Tiffany was just trying to distract Piro so that Gunther could ask Bernice out - which he didn't even do)

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

What in the hell did she do to that teddy bear? She's like 5, and presumably this must have been up there for at least a couple years or she'd remember it, and also I assume it was new when she got it.
I think she's more like seven since she just got advanced to grade 2 at school? I dunno how American school years work WRT age.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby Woah it came back! I guess they decided the strip didn't end after all!

Big Ben Bolt

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

The punchline is that there are powerful forces in their universe that prevent anyone from ever having sex with anyone else.
Luann's parents?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail Fails to Make it to a Literal Saturday Cliffhanger

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Odonata posted:

Worst Comic in this thread

So that's when he's dead, because he's like 115 years old, and the chances of a 116-year-old moving into town and ousting him are pretty slim. drat straight he's gonna have to return it, did anyone think the city lets all their oldest citizens be buried with the cane of honor?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's Poe's Law but for jokes in a comic strip.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (May 4, 1951)

Barnaby (October 9, 1942)

Nancy (June 18, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (March 1, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (March 30, 1923)

Lil' Abner (November 13, 1936)

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Julet Esqu posted:

Rip Kirby Woah it came back! I guess they decided the strip didn't end after all!
:dance: I was worried that we'd never get a conclusion to this story!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Julet Esqu posted:

So yeah, these are drawn by John Prentice after Alex Raymond died in a car accident.

Btw. I found this article about Raymond's death:
http://cartoonician.com/alex-raymonds-last-ride/

quote:

When he awoke, he was lying in a hospital bed, a doctor standing beside him, cursing: “That goddamn son of a bitch!” Drake asked him what the matter was. The doctor told Drake that this was the fourth time in the past month Raymond had been hospitalized due to injuries sustained in auto accidents. “He had been trying to kill himself,” Drake said.

quote:

Drake knew Raymond only as a colleague, not as a friend. They fraternized over work, and neither man discussed his personal life. So Drake could not have known of Raymond’s troubled marriage (at the time, he was living apart from his wife); of his wife’s refusal to grant him a divorce so he could marry his mistress (the Raymonds were Catholic); or of the insurance policy that would grant Raymond’s wife $500,000 (and with the policy’s double-indemnity clause, potentially $1 million).

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Moomin was dark as gently caress at times.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

"He was an awful bore." Well done, Lars, well done :golfclap:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Peanuts (May 30, 1969)

Funky Reminder-Of-Your-Eventual-Mortalitybean

Cancershaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (May 1-2, 1929)

Thimble Theater (December 14, 1929)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Come on Crankshaft, surely you have a black trucker cap you can wear to the many funerals I'm sure you have to go to between both being old and living in the Funkyverse.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Pluggers live in a sisyphean nightmare of reheated pork chops, never to experience new cuisine. Why try anything new? We'll all be dead before our reliable plugger Ford pick up stops running. Mix your heart medication with week old mashed potatoes so they go down faster than Betty Lou at the Sockhop. Pass the pork chops.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Endless Mike posted:

Come on Crankshaft, surely you have a black trucker cap you can wear to the many funerals I'm sure you have to go to between both being old and living in the Funkyverse.

On the other hand, at this point I'm surprised he bothers to dress up.

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

EasyEW posted:

Funky Reminder-Of-Your-Eventual-Mortalitybean

Cancershaft

Can someone explain to me why new strips worth reading have to fight tooth and nail to get onto the comics page while the rancid comedy/pathos gruel that is Batuik's work gets a free pass for eternity?

Tiffany is thinking about attending a publicly advertised event that's an open invitation to everybody? Wow... WHAT A BITCH :rolleyes:

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

Dear guy-who-draws-piranha-club... I applaud your integrity in sticking to your artistic aesthetic of, "Hacky jokes stolen from a Catskills nightclub in the 50's" even though it is consistently terrible and I hate you.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

root posted:

Can someone explain to me why new strips worth reading have to fight tooth and nail to get onto the comics page while the rancid comedy/pathos gruel that is Batuik's work gets a free pass for eternity?
Because, as we've seen many times, there's a large number of people who will flip THE gently caress out if a comic they've been reading for years suddenly stops appearing in the paper. It doesn't matter if it's any good or not, it doesn't matter what it's about. All that matters is that they don't want change because nostalgia.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Evil Mastermind posted:

Because, as we've seen many times, there's a large number of people who will flip THE gently caress out if a comic they've been reading for years suddenly stops appearing in the paper. It doesn't matter if it's any good or not, it doesn't matter what it's about. All that matters is that they don't want change because nostalgia.

Offer not valid for 9 Chickweed Lane.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

root posted:

Someone recently posted (like in the last 25 pages) a letter to the editor from a soon-to-be corpse who was complaining about how disgusting and crass Pearls before Swine is. This old person wanted to see Pearls removed in favor of whatever old strip was retired from his paper recently. Mary Worth, maybe. Pearls has been in paper for 15 years, so it's not quite new, not but a zombie strip. Now imagine that every time a newer, "edgier" strip comes out, but times 10.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hell, there were people saying that "Heavenly Nostrils" was too risqué a name for a newspaper comic strip.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Not that it was risqué, just unmarketable, iirc.

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Nenonen posted:

So yeah, these are drawn by John Prentice after Alex Raymond died in a car accident.

Btw. I found this article about Raymond's death:
http://cartoonician.com/alex-raymonds-last-ride/

Goddamn. :stonk: This is definitely worth a read.

And though it's mostly about a terrible car accident(?), I couldn't help but notice this:

quote:

One day, Raymond paid Drake a visit as he was working on a Juliet Jones strip. “Back in those days, I was doing The Heart of Juliet Jones, and I was using Polaroid references of models. I gave them all kinds of expressions—fear, anguish, happiness—and Alex never did. And he came to me and said, ‘What is this thing with expressions you’re doing? It looks great.’ He complimented me on doing these real people in Juliet Jones. I couldn’t believe that the greatest artist in the world was asking me about expressions!”

Drake, as it turns out, was paying a price for introducing human expressions into his work: Sylvan Byck, then comics editor at King Features, was admonishing the 35-year-old Drake to drop the use of emotional expression in his characters’ faces. “Byck asked me, ‘What are you doing with these expressions? We don’t usually do that.’ He tried to put me down, believe it or not,” Drake said. “He said, ‘Just draw people.’ And I said, ‘I’m going to draw people the way they are. If you want to buy Juliet Jones, that’s what you’re going to get.”

Yeesh, the vibrant facial expressions are the best part of Juliet Jones. Eve Jones is a riot and it's because her face is so expressive. We tend to think of the old days in comics as times when artists were really able to showcase their talent while today the syndicates just want static talking heads, but it looks like syndicates have always been stodgy and dumb.

Luann

A silent film "fest" with only one film. Way to put in the work, Bernice.

This is so stupid. "Hey, Piro, I really enjoyed that movie we watched together and that's making me think there are probably lots of other great old movies I've never seen. Wanna come by my dorm and watch some with me?" Oh, look! That's so much easier and less likely to end up with a bunch of randos in your room when you just want to suck face with Piro!

The Amazing Spider-Man

You're dodging the question, Xenu or Xenon or Xavier or whatever the gently caress.

Sally Forth

Story of my life.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

• Locked thread