Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

This. There is no VO done in post for the trailer. It is all live from the clips you see.

Skoll posted:

Kairo, you gonna do a soundtrack release or provide the music files with the game?

I will talk to Olivier. The OST is all dynamic drum beats so he would have to arrange something special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Hey Kairo how long until the tie-in film comes out and who's starring in it?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Finally got home and watched the trailer, hype levels escalating

hunt the traitor lords

and bring ruin to their people
:black101:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Kairo posted:

I'm sure some people are gonna find it light, especially if they only do main objectives on easy, because the missions are fast by design and the responding flagship pretty much pushes you out of the space. But those are basically the tutorial versions of the missions. I want a lot of players to be able to at least pewpew through the game and then want to turn up the difficulty later.

The rest of us turn it up and embrace death from the start.

EDIT: Many of TIE's missions went on WAY too long anyways, especially only to have something gently caress up or you end up taking a random hit. There's almost no downtime here.

You should take a page from Goldeneye and Perfect Dark and increase how many objectives you have to accomplish as you increase the difficulty level. I haven't seen that in a game in a while now.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

hunt the traitor lords

oh my god yes, this sent a shiver down my spine.

please kairo let us hunt. :unsmigghh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thinking about it now I realize that I automatically read that in the voice of the narrator/ancestor from Darkest Dungeon

Kairo do you think you can hire that guy to do mission briefs or something

thanks

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 27, 2016

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

hunt the traitor lords

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hear the lamentations of their ATC.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ciaphas posted:

hunt the traitor lords

Yeah, the trailer text was good, reminds me of Brigador's trailer text, which packs a shitton of plot/tone into 12 sparse words.

Great Leader is dead
Liberate Solo Nobre Tonight
By Any Means Necessary

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, the trailer text was good, reminds me of Brigador's trailer text, which packs a shitton of plot/tone into 12 sparse words.

Great Leader is dead
Liberate Solo Nobre Tonight
By Any Means Necessary

Yeah, they are champs. I totally admit they influenced how I approached this:

<Catalyst>
<Objective>
<Flavor>

Except they still managed to do it like 20x better and more concise. People would just zone out until I condensed the phrases enough.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Probably could've cut it down to this

The Emperor is Dead
Hunt the Traitor Lords
Bring Ruin to Their People

Baker's dozen. :v:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What is the release date?

How much will it cost on steam?

Does it run on Mac?

Can you play it with a mouse?

What are the recommended system requirements?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kairo posted:

I'm sure some people are gonna find it light, especially if they only do main objectives on easy, because the missions are fast by design and the responding flagship pretty much pushes you out of the space. But those are basically the tutorial versions of the missions. I want a lot of players to be able to at least pewpew through the game and then want to turn up the difficulty later.

The rest of us turn it up and embrace death from the start.

EDIT: Many of TIE's missions went on WAY too long anyways, especially only to have something gently caress up or you end up taking a random hit. There's almost no downtime here.

You know best if the random mission generator can actually work in your game, but as you can see there's definately a lot of interest (here, on this dead gay forum thread) in it as a concept. So maybe look into randomly generated missions/campaigns as possible future DLC maybe pretty please?

Oh and yes, the trailer was excellent. Pity you couldn't get Ruskay to compose for you. I imagine he charges quite the prices nowadays with his own studio and all.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Will there be TrackIR support?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Is it a coincidence that the intro music sounds so similar to Battlestar Galactica music?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

IIRC his music guy did some (all?) of the BSG Redline soundtrack.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Diaspora I believe

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Saw Steam page, almost died of heart attack!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

treat posted:

Will there be TrackIR support?
Yes.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Stoked to see this happening! Absolutely fantastic work Kairo, can't wait to play.

Was VR support (Vive) still a go at launch? Can't wait to sit in my sofa with a controller and be fully in this game.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

I will never be upset about a game going for well designed encounters instead of roguelike RNG, especially if the game has a heavier time investment. Random generation is fine if you can restart really quickly, not so much otherwise.

Hey good for you. I'm a big fan of procedurally generated games and roguelikes. Duskers or Darkest Dungeon or Invisible Inc would have held no interest for me if they were just scripted content.

Judging by the reaction loads of people are really happy about this change. I on the other hand am pretty turned off by the idea of a normal space game with a small number of scripted missions. It's removed what got me interested in the game on the first place. I'm not a big FS2 fan or anything. C'est la vie.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Zsinjeh posted:

Stoked to see this happening! Absolutely fantastic work Kairo, can't wait to play.

Was VR support (Vive) still a go at launch? Can't wait to sit in my sofa with a controller and be fully in this game.

Steam page says yes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Skoll posted:

Holy poo poo you're loving bad and dumb. Don't say everybody doesn't A Thing just because YOU don't like it you loving jackass.

Nobody I knew liked it. ME3's multiplayer was only good because of the objectives forcing you out of a comfort zone and putting more pressure than just sitting there and surviving. I dont mind horde mode, but it dies out quickly and stops being fun after a few rounds. No need to be so hostile.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Nobody I knew liked it. ME3's multiplayer was only good because of the objectives forcing you out of a comfort zone and putting more pressure than just sitting there and surviving. I dont mind horde mode, but it dies out quickly and stops being fun after a few rounds. No need to be so hostile.

I'm not being hostile, that is just me.

Anyway, we're mostly going to be arguing confirmation bias over this. If anything, MORE video games need co-op modes and horde modes. Gears of Wars did it particularly good and I don't remember that ever getting boring or stale.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ODST firefight was real good, as was ME3.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Orv posted:

"Choose one of three increasingly-brutal difficulties in each of the 14 campaign scenarios."

Which kind of actually makes me less interested, poo poo.

Nothing in the RPS interview makes me remotely excited. In fact it sounds like everything I was looking forward to has been excised out of the game since the original annoucement, from the tactical mode, to the randomness, the solar-system stealth aspect even the name. It's all gone. Maybe it'll be good and we'll see that at release, but it sounds like the game I was looking forward to for years got focus tested to death.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 27, 2016

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Thank u based Kairo.

I'm really happy to see these changes, I think a more directed experience is going to be more fun in the long run. I can't really set aside time for a long video game campaign nowadays anyway so it works for me.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've been following this game from the periphery for a while now, but the change to a shorter, handmade campaign is really making me reconsider purchasing it.

I'll almost certainly be buying it now.

Freespace 2 is one of my Games of All Time and I'll take carefully designed scenarios over random, aimless firefights any day of the week, plus it's not like there's a real dearth of procedurally generated indie-em-ups on Steam now. And it doesn't sound like there'll be a tonne of missions and they might be pretty short, I've already got enough forevergames I can go back to should I feel the need.

That said; any plans at all for modding to be a thing, Kairo?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

He's already answered this and said no, but he wouldn't be surprised if people hack it up to do stuff.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

DatonKallandor posted:

it sounds like the game I was looking forward to for years got focus tested to death.

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between 'testing' and 'focus testing' to you? It sounds like you're using the latter term as a swear or something, implying that the masses don't appreciate the original vision. The idea of procedurally generated infinite content is great, but I've played a ton of that type of game now and I think the variety on offer is actually a mirage most of the time. To me, this sums it up:

quote:

The RNG would basically give me mediocre encounters 80% of the time, terrible encounters 15% of the time, and great encounters 5% of the time (and this was probably by accident). Infinite encounter varieties are neat, but only if you can guarantee it's gonna be awesome a majority of the time.

Some of the stuff like the cross-system cat and mouse game also sounds fun on paper but I could totally envision it boiling down to abusing the AI and running around in circles forever -- kiting enemies on a larger scale than normal doesn't seem very exciting to me. Given a bigger team and tons of iteration maybe enough edge cases could be sanded out that it'd be fun the majority of the time but I think procedural generation can be a trap for small studios because it's easy to make something mediocre but incredibly hard to make something exciting.

quote:

quote:

Mission editor is totally out of scope for 1.0, and modding is something I appreciate but did not code for at all. I am sure some people will figure out ways to hack it up though.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

DatonKallandor posted:

...but it sounds like the game I was looking forward to for years got focus tested to death.

LOL

NmareBfly posted:

Some of the stuff like the cross-system cat and mouse game also sounds fun on paper but I could totally envision it boiling down to abusing the AI and running around in circles forever -- kiting enemies on a larger scale than normal doesn't seem very exciting to me. Given a bigger team and tons of iteration maybe enough edge cases could be sanded out that it'd be fun the majority of the time but I think procedural generation can be a trap for small studios because it's easy to make something mediocre but incredibly hard to make something exciting.

This. You were essentially be spending a minute or two doing the equivalent of sneaking around a box in Metal Gear while a guard checks out a noise. In MGS, that takes 4-5 seconds. It's one of those things that sounds great on paper, and even when you're first working on it. It could still be neat, but I also think a lot of these mechanics are just way better in something that's not an action space game.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

NmareBfly posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between 'testing' and 'focus testing' to you? It sounds like you're using the latter term as a swear or something, implying that the masses don't appreciate the original vision.

Focus testing leads to stuff like "we can't make the player team red (because they're baddies) because people got confused", which is really the perfect encapsulation of "we can't do x because it's different than standard" that results to less interesting games.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Kairo, please don't listen to idiot goons regarding your game and what's in it. Especially ones with a history of being thick headed actual retards. Pretty sure the loss of one or two butthurt spergs here won't be felt in the grand scheme of things.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Is the lineage selection stuff we saw in last June's trailer still a feature?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

DatonKallandor posted:

Focus testing leads to stuff like "we can't make the player team red because people got confused", which is really the perfect encapsulation of "we can't do x because it's different than standard" that results to less interesting games.

The player team is red in this game.

I am a massive space sim grog and this game's more fun now than it was with the overworld. Encounter design gave us FS2 and TIE Fighter. The overworld had too much downtime, you'd never really hit true flow.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

DatonKallandor posted:

Focus testing leads to stuff like "we can't make the player team red (because they're baddies) because people got confused", which is really the perfect encapsulation of "we can't do x because it's different than standard" that results to less interesting games.

You're right. Games should never be tested.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Tanith posted:

Is the lineage selection stuff we saw in last June's trailer still a feature?

It's now a more flexible equipment system. Pick weapons for a class of ship and also pick upgrades for them, provided you've purchased or unlocked them.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Or possibly Kairo wasn't quite able to execute on an interesting concept and the game really wasn't fun in that state.

You could probably find a healthier way to process and communicate your disappointment than whatever it is you're doing here.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
To be fair, enough games have been soured by focus testing... but they tend to be the AAA ones. :v:

What this is reminding me of so far 'tho is RTS campaigns when they shoehorn in a risk map instead of keeping that as a separate game-mode. You get a tight narrative with challenges right until the risk map breaks out and then its just frustration until the endgame. (Universe at War, Rise of Legends) Putting that away for the future and focusing entirely on a driven structure is fine with me.

I'm all for the changes because what I cared about most, piloting spaceships in a Homeworld aesthetic and being a murderous arsehole for a decedent empire, seem intact entirely. :black101:

E: Hopefully "House of the Dying Sun 2, Red Barons In Space" will execute some of the pie in the sky concepts a few years down the road. ;)

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DatonKallandor posted:

One man indie games, infamous for their huge focus testing teams influencing their development.

• Locked thread