Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

It's the most HP you can get in a 100 point list, I believe. They're also huge blockers and with baffles, they can control range better than any ship in the game.

However they're still extremely vulnerable to arc dodging.

Only if you put health upgrades on them. You can fit five Y-wings into 100 points, which also ends up being 40 EHP (15 shields, 25 hull). You also have 8 points left to spend on a pair of shield upgrades bringing it up to 42.

Granted, you can put shield upgrades on each shuttle for a total of 44, but I think I can honestly say I'd rather have five barely-upgraded Y-wings than four barely-upgraded shuttles.

Oh, wait! You can fit two Ghosts into a list with a Y-wing and a Z-95, for a total of 44 with no upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Noted video game web comic penny arcade is doing Xwing now apparently.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

I wouldn't have been willing to spend the money on x-wangs if the minis looked like poo poo. I would've printed out the templates and little squares and cut them out of foam core or something and called it good. The numbers are loving easy to put together. But having a plastic spaceship that looks as cool as the ships from the movies?? Awesome.

Herux
Dec 1, 2013

ro5s posted:

Hey, did you get my message on Steam?

I got your message on steam and just responded. I apologize this week has just been a bit hectic for me. If it is not too late Monday actually works best for me to resolve our game since I have off that day from work and will be better able to adapt to your GMT timezone. Leave me a message here or steam if that works for you and we can hopefully get our game in. Strobe since i don't want to be late and miss it again this is my list for next week:

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v4!s!34:18,-1,159,74:2:3:;158:107,120,-1,-1,167,164:-1:19:&sn=Big%20Fat%20Donuts

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

There used to a Whisper right in front of both IGs.

I was gonna say that the TTS graphics look incredible before I noticed the arms.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I was gonna say that the TTS graphics look incredible before I noticed the arms.

Did you also notice my shame?

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
I got confused for a second because those IG2000's are backwards.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Finster Dexter posted:

I wouldn't have been willing to spend the money on x-wangs if the minis looked like poo poo. I would've printed out the templates and little squares and cut them out of foam core or something and called it good. The numbers are loving easy to put together. But having a plastic spaceship that looks as cool as the ships from the movies?? Awesome.

The even more so that they are prepainted. I always wanted to get into mini gaming but the fact that you had to assemble and paint stuff for hours before you could even think about playing really kept me away til now.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I like painting minis but I'm not great at it and don't have a ton of time. The X-wings are better than what I could do and I don't feel like a loser for not having tons of stuff painted really well.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Painting your own minis also has the added effect of people coming around to look at them in tournaments or enjoy them on display. It's funny that wargaming grognards have displayed the belief that people will desire painted minis less if the base mini is already prepainted, but my experience in x-wing so far have shown the complete opposite. People apparently also enjoy watching videos with repainted minis because they look neat yet also enjoy the fact that they are prepainted. I think it lends to a more chill time overall since you don't have people who prefer to only have painted minis in play sitting across someone who just primed 500 aliens.

I will say that one thing that drives me to do well in tournaments is so that if the match is being televised, people get to see them. I paint minis so people can see them. That's why I've been painting almost solely x-wing stuff even though I really want to paint a 40k model here and there again. Painting competitions are only a bonus but I'd rather my minis get seen regularly than a crystal brush winning model that only gets seen maybe twice a year. I hope I can do something nice enough for the nova open in the fall.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah as ironic as it is, I started wanting to paint because I could get into the game enough to appreciate it, and then I wanted to do things that weren't represented, like Poe. Next project is totally going to be get Girl Squad done, once I have that extra Advanced to ruin, and I saw someone who painted a Y Wing with the K Wing color scheme and it looked super awesome, so totally doing that too.
(The scheme I will shamelessly steal.)

Eimi fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 27, 2016

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Kadath posted:

They look so much better that way :(

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kadath posted:

NO THEY'RE NOT :mad:

General Battuta posted:

They look so much better that way :(

This fine goon gets it.

Also, check the firing arcs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I have a "mr. crabs" IG2000 that has repositioned arms in the "correct" front so it looks like it's grabbing something. I made it mostly so you can easily distinguish one from the other but it's a pain to store since it takes up so much more room.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I love that every match is fully painted. It's sad seeing 99% of every other minis game being two unpainted armies marchin straight at each other across a wooden board.

No way would I have considered x-wing if there were painting involved.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I once had a friend who tried to get me into 40k. Even bought me a little pack of space marine dudes. I gave up before I even finished painting one of them.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

alg posted:

I love that every match is fully painted. It's sad seeing 99% of every other minis game being two unpainted armies marchin straight at each other across a wooden board.

No way would I have considered x-wing if there were painting involved.

Yeah, I've tried and failed to get into other minis games at least three times in the past because of that very issue. Either you spend a lot of quality alone time lovingly modeling and painting an army which never hits the table anyway, or you end up with lovely looking armies (either unpainted or horribly painted) and it just feels like you and another person taking turns rolling 37 dice at each other while halfheartedly trying to push your miniatures onto a control point.

X-Wangs combines rad lookin minis with an actual honest to god great ruleset in a game that doesn't take 2 hours to set up and tear down, and you don't even have to buy separate codexes (codices?) for each of the factions in order to even get started.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I had to comission a guy to paint all my wolfmen. They look great now, but it took forever.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
If ImpAss were as intimately pre-painted as x-wangs, I'd be into its skirmish stuff, too, I think.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I love painting little miniature dudes, but X-Wing has always been my game where I can concentrate 100% on playing it above all else. The pre-painted minis were definitely a selling point for me because of that.

Seeing people play other miniature games with unpainted minis weirds me out a bit. If you don't like the crafting part of the hobby (painting, modelling, terrain making, etc), why are you playing this at all? It's very rare that you get a game where the rules are so good they overshadow the aesthetics to the point you don't even need to bother. Unpainted GW armies on the table just boggle my loving mind.

That said I'll probably never again play a tabletop miniatures game where you need to paint more than twenty dudes per side. It's after painting your fiftieth identical-looking space man that you start to realise the futility of life.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Isn't that the funniest part?
In X wing, the median number of ships in a list is probably 3, and they are prepainted and ready to go. Compare that to warhams where you have a zillion units and have to paint them all.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
Honestly the 40k lore sells the game more than anything. The lore is surprisingly deep and good so you get sucked in a little. Then the rule books are really cool and have a bunch of awesome picture and you're hooked. You spend all your money on an army and all your free time painting it and now you're invested.

Then you play.

Playing any warhammer game is like cutting into a perfectly cooked steak and finding out its full of cystic puss and eating it anyway.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Infinity is one of those rare games that aren't prepainted, have solid rules, and only require a handful of models. Interestingly, I see more great play and narrative forging coming from those people than I do from warham grognards with a sea of unpainted models.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Chill la Chill posted:

Infinity is one of those rare games that aren't prepainted, have solid rules, and only require a handful of models. Interestingly, I see more great play and narrative forging coming from those people than I do from warham grognards with a sea of unpainted models.

If I had more time I think I'd get into Infinity. It seems neat.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Chemmy posted:

If I had more time I think I'd get into Infinity. It seems neat.

If I ever do get into a game where I have to assemble and paint it will be Infinity. Haqqislam is really cool and I'd love to play with them because of their backstory. Islamic golden age is cool.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, Infinity is in that beautiful sweet spot for miniature games, imho. Just enough minis to seem like a decently sized battle, but few enough so that you can really get a sense for individual characters rather than mobs of faceless Guardsmen, and a ruleset that encourages fun over rolling fifty dice at once. It's a game where you can buy and paint a single model and really feel like you've made a worthwhile addition to your army, and I think that means a lot.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Infinity is a very good game. It's also very intense, since there's an enormous space of possible moves and one bad decision can get you absolutely destroyed (and thus the tactical learning curve is a cliff, even if the rules aren't that bad). I find X-Wing relaxing while Infinity leaves me drained.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Endman posted:

Yeah, Infinity is in that beautiful sweet spot for miniature games, imho. Just enough minis to seem like a decently sized battle, but few enough so that you can really get a sense for individual characters rather than mobs of faceless Guardsmen, and a ruleset that encourages fun over rolling fifty dice at once. It's a game where you can buy and paint a single model and really feel like you've made a worthwhile addition to your army, and I think that means a lot.

:shrug: some people (me) like running around a hundred faceless guardsmen. Also tanks. Lots of tanks.

Most webcomics seem to start off with garbage art and get better as time goes on. PA somehow managed to peak around 2010 or so and it's all been downhill from there.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Whenever it comes down to Palp bus when I'm runing Sheev+aces I'll pretty much automatically concede. There's just no goddamn way. That thing handles like that enormous treaded vehicle they used to use to transport the space shuttle.

Give us a Bovine Ace pack that gives it a PWT, or at least an aux arc. Look at all the guns on that model.

I'd like to see a 45 degree secondary arc on the back or something. No idea what the point balance or whatever would need to be for it to work out, but being able to actually bring a fleet + systems officer shuttle and maybe contribute with it would be cool.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:shrug: some people (me) like running around a hundred faceless guardsmen. Also tanks. Lots of tanks.

That's cool, just not my cup of tea. I'm more of a squad-level skirmish kind of person. Blood Eagle is my latest obsession; gotta stop Vikings from stealing my turnips. :black101:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Endman posted:

I love painting little miniature dudes, but X-Wing has always been my game where I can concentrate 100% on playing it above all else. The pre-painted minis were definitely a selling point for me because of that.

Seeing people play other miniature games with unpainted minis weirds me out a bit. If you don't like the crafting part of the hobby (painting, modelling, terrain making, etc), why are you playing this at all? It's very rare that you get a game where the rules are so good they overshadow the aesthetics to the point you don't even need to bother. Unpainted GW armies on the table just boggle my loving mind.

That said I'll probably never again play a tabletop miniatures game where you need to paint more than twenty dudes per side. It's after painting your fiftieth identical-looking space man that you start to realise the futility of life.

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, I think it's kind of weird to suggest that the appeal of tabletop wargaming rests solely upon the crafts end of things, there are a lot of cool-sounding minis games I'd be down to play but I just have no interest in any of the modeling/painting/whatever. Really, these days GW is the outlier in that their games really do rest upon the lore and the crafting side of things because their rules are unmitigated poo poo, but like Warmahordes, Infinity, Malifaux, Dropzone/fleet Commander, they all sound like something I'd at least be interested in trying. And if Infinity had really solid prepaint figures I might very well own as much of that as I do of X-Wing (which is to say at least one of everything atm).

Endman
May 18, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I think it's kind of weird to suggest that the appeal of tabletop wargaming rests solely upon the crafts end of things, there are a lot of cool-sounding minis games I'd be down to play but I just have no interest in any of the modeling/painting/whatever. Really, these days GW is the outlier in that their games really do rest upon the lore and the crafting side of things because their rules are unmitigated poo poo, but like Warmahordes, Infinity, Malifaux, Dropzone/fleet Commander, they all sound like something I'd at least be interested in trying. And if Infinity had really solid prepaint figures I might very well own as much of that as I do of X-Wing (which is to say at least one of everything atm).

I dunno. I think a lot of the appeal of these games rests on their aesthetics. We don't play X-Wing with just cardboard squares, for example. Maybe more of these game companies should consider pre-painted minis for people who don't like painting.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Endman posted:

I dunno. I think a lot of the appeal of these games rests on their aesthetics. We don't play X-Wing with just cardboard squares, for example. Maybe more of these game companies should consider pre-painted minis for people who don't like painting.

Yeah. Warhammer had Discwars which was supposedly an amazing game but people didn't take to it when it didn't have the models. As solid as this game's mechanics are, it wouldn't be anywhere near as popular without the sexy models.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Played that epic game today! Had fun!

I ran a mixed TIE swarm of mostly named pilots, along with standard Soontir Fel, Darth Vader, and the Inquisitor. A Palpshuttle brought up the rear (and almost solo'd an IG88), while the Gozanti loomed large over the battlefield and supported the fleet.

Full list here:
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...-1:-1:&sn=zEpic

My opponent has all 4 IG88s (Crack Shot, FCS, Heavy Laser Canon, Autothrusters, Glitterstim) as well as a fat Dengar and fully loaded Zuckuss.

That's a scary list more than capable of killing multiple TIEs a turn, or focus firing my aces to death. Lucky for me, he set them all up in a line facing lenghtwise down the table. He was going to try to scoot past, so I pushed the Gozanti out there early to keep them honest. No one wants to risk losing an entire ship when it gets run over by an epic one!

It still managed to run over two IGs that game, but both were at a single HP when it happened.

I lost Vader very early after a bump. Mauler Mithel died in the first exchange. Howlrunner was surprisingly resilient, but died eventually. No one else died, although Soontir and Wampa both had damage.

All in all it was a blowout win for the Empire, but it really comes down to the approach. He tried to get fancy, and but I was able to block him in with the swarm, Palp, and shuttle.

Palpmobile was the MVP of the game, and not just because Palpatine was on it! My practice with MAD COW DISEASE really paid off, as I was able to keep IG88c in arc three turns in a row and nearly solo'd it. The shuttle got the block on the fourth turn, and the Gozanti ran it over.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Endman posted:

I'm much the same. I enjoy painting, and long-term I'm fully intending to repaint my whole fleet, but I love the fact that there's no *pressure* to do so in x-wing, other than the minor pressure of not wanting to run lists that are half prepaints half a markedly different scheme.

I don't have to worry about the fact that I've got a hundred half-assembled space marines clogging around my desk taunting me, all the minis are perfectly assembled and playable-with already, so I can take my time and tinker at my leisure.

Also that my one-mini-a-month painting rate is actually meaningful

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I play Warmachine and X-Wing, they just scratch different itches.

Fielding a good looking, fully painted army which you painted yourself gets you all tingly inside. Plus, painting is surprisingly therapeutic. I also like Warmachine a little more, but I more rarely get to play it, because a full game, setup and all, takes so long. Compared to 40k, which I played previously, the model count is also a lot saner, so painting becomes less of a grind.

X-Wing games are much quicker so you get in games more often and get more games when you do, the game itself is much tighter, and offers a extremely satisfying gaming experience for very little time investment - Which is probably why the X-Wing crowd at my LGS is almost exclusively dads in their late 30s and 40s who work in IT.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Corbeau posted:

Infinity is a very good game. It's also very intense, since there's an enormous space of possible moves and one bad decision can get you absolutely destroyed (and thus the tactical learning curve is a cliff, even if the rules aren't that bad). I find X-Wing relaxing while Infinity leaves me drained.

I love Infinity but the rules are convoluted as fuuuuuuuuuck lets not lie. ARO's and who can take them when from what attacks is a goddamn quagmire and no two people will give you the same answer. Hacking attack AROs? Maybe? What about through a repeater?! Sixth sense? They have way way way too many circumstantial exceptions to those rules they could just straight up fix/remove and the game would instantly become 10000% more playable and understandable. I was hoping the N3 rules were gonna clean that stuff all up (and to be fair it does look like lots of bits have been streamlined now which is great!) but the ARO stuff is still a hot mess.

Geisladisk posted:

I play Warmachine and X-Wing, they just scratch different itches.

Fielding a good looking, fully painted army which you painted yourself gets you all tingly inside. Plus, painting is surprisingly therapeutic. I also like Warmachine a little more, but I more rarely get to play it, because a full game, setup and all, takes so long. Compared to 40k, which I played previously, the model count is also a lot saner, so painting becomes less of a grind.

X-Wing games are much quicker so you get in games more often and get more games when you do, the game itself is much tighter, and offers a extremely satisfying gaming experience for very little time investment - Which is probably why the X-Wing crowd at my LGS is almost exclusively dads in their late 30s and 40s who work in IT.

I always hated painting to be honest, and people would always be smug about their (shittily) painted armies. I ended up drybrushing most of my dudes which looked pretty good, but man painting was such a huge, boring, unfun time sink for me with those games. I'm a terrible artist and the inability to actually make a model look like what I'd envision was intensely frustrating to me. Prepainted stuff for life!

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 28, 2016

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The Gate posted:

I always hated painting to be honest, and people would always be smug about their (shittily) painted armies. I ended up drybrushing most of my dudes which looked pretty good, but man painting was such a huge, boring, unfun time sink for me with those games. I'm a terrible artist and the inability to actually make a model look like what I'd envision was intensely frustrating to me. Prepainted stuff for life!

Yeah, if you hate painting, non-prepainted miniature games definitely aren't for you, painting my warbarbies is probably like 80% of the time I spend on Warmachine.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The core Infinity rules aren't too bad. Where the exception swarm comes in is the special equipment. And it's a game about using the right equipment for the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Welp, let's see how redline does.

• Locked thread