Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
gas this loving stupid thread and try again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Tusen Takk posted:

oh I never thought of it like that

time to read up on this history of modern Italy

like in the north, there's even today still a clear divide between the regions that used to be in the austrian empire and those that were under french house savoy. the south was under spanish rule for centuries and again, the north/south split is super evident. I always forget about the central regions because gently caress the central regions, at the time of unification they still had one freaking city-state

it's been said that italy wasn't truly unified until the first national tv broadcast. it sounds like a joke, but it's how a lot of italians learned italian

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hackbunny posted:

like in the north, there's even today still a clear divide between the regions that used to be in the austrian empire and those that were under french house savoy. the south was under spanish rule for centuries and again, the north/south split is super evident. I always forget about the central regions because gently caress the central regions, at the time of unification they still had one freaking city-state

it's been said that italy wasn't truly unified until the first national tv broadcast. it sounds like a joke, but it's how a lot of italians learned italian

does italy have groups like the basques and catalonians, who want independence?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

the sorting hat says you will be a crane operator forever

does this include wrecking balls if so then h*ck yeah

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

shut the gently caress up about pittsburgh for fucks sake no one gives a poo poo except tori and no one gives a poo poo about tori except tori

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol ok

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

rjmccall posted:

literally if gay people are conservative then they deserved to be outed for betraying their people

:agreed: but only if its conservative in terms of things that gently caress over gay people

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

prefect posted:

they have the entire lega nord shitshow which wants to split off northern italy and the german-speaking minority on the border to austria also bitches and moans about having to belong to italy. also i guess sardegna or whatever but who gives a poo poo about them.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

hackbunny posted:

Oh so that's why the south is such a mess vs the north

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

the outing however was sort of valid since Thiel pretty actively fights against gay rights

???

he bank rolls gay poo poo

do you think the hulk hogan recording, which was recorded for blackmail and would be explicitly illegal in two-party recording states, helped hulk hogan's career? losing sponsorships, media deals, getting kicked out of wrestling?

it would have been one thing to question and post audio of the drunk racist stuff before and after sex, "drunk words are sober thoughts," but the publishing of the sex tape was straight up clicks-driven character assassination, and the giddiness of gawker to keep it up after personal requests and subsequent court orders shows they don't give a poo poo

shed no crocodile tears for yellow journalism

this hill would be worth dying on if the subject in the surreptitious recording were someone who mattered, like obama or something. instead it's just "lol look at the washed up celeb having sex and burping"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

in today's jfc uber news http://imgur.com/gallery/owJrB25

quote:

Just want to vent and hopefully stop anyone else from wasting their time.

I believe the UBER ATC is disguising research as fake job interviews.

I recently applied to be a development vehicle operator for one of the self-driving vehicles. They were looking for driving experience as well as technical experience which I feel I have a lot of.

Now the interview process consisted of a "Homework" question. The question was what a safe and focused driver would do to navigate a left turn at a 4-way stop.

I spent 3 hours making a nice presentation on everything a person would need to do. I submitted it and passed making it to a phone interview and a 3 hour onsite interview.

I arrived at the onsite interview and was told that I would be taking a driving test. This was completely unexpected but it made sense at the moment. I got in a vehicle with two other people and we drove to a hotel downtown and to a sports stadium. The person in the front seat asked various questions like "where would you want to be picked by a self driving car in this area"

After we got back to the office, I was placed in a conference room with 2 more people. I was told to take a marker to the white board and again explain the process of everything a vehicle needs to do to navigate a 4 way stop.

The last part was a technical interview about using a computer which I aced.

The whole time I was excited and acted like a kid in a candy store. The office was cool, what they were working on was awesome and I really wanted to be a part of it and i'm sure it showed.

I was told I would hear back the next day.

I sent my thank you email expressing to them how awesome the interview experience was and how it would be a great opportunity.

I never got a response.

After a week I still did not receive a response.

I decided to call adecco who was doing the recruiting for it. I asked my contact if I would hear from her or uber directly.

She tells me she did not even know I had an interview with them.

She then tells me that they were looking for 40 people and they had passed on everyone because "No one seemed like they wanted to be there" This was completely wrong. I showed nothing but excitement during my interview.

She then tells me that Uber had changed the job from direct hire to Temp to Hire and that they now want 500 people. She said she did not know how this was even possible and it doesn't seem like they want to hire anyone.

I believe that Uber is gathering data on how people drive for their autonomous vehicles and disguising it as fake interviews to get out of paying people for their time. I also feel that spending 6 to 8 hours in an interview and not hearing anything back directly from the company is completely rude and unprofessional.

Edit*
I will also add that they advertised a pay of 50K to 80K Full Time with benefits.

Wow i was not expecting this feedback! I just wanted to make you all aware.

I cant believe this! you guys rock! ill try to get this out everywhere!

UPDATE* I have been in contact with some media outlets. I will post any links I get! Thanks everyone

UPDATE 5/27/2016 I just got off the phone with a local reporter who has a big theory about what is going on. I will post when its available!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ok maybe that's yesterday's news. idk there's 400 unread posts.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

GameCube posted:

ok maybe that's yesterday's news. idk there's 400 unread posts.

just
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Triglav posted:

???

he bank rolls gay poo poo

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

anyway doing some more digging, once he was fully out Thiel gave money to Ted Cruz in 2009 and then loudly announced "well actually gay rights are good and we disagree on that point" which is hilarious because it gave Cruz' opponents a bunch of ammo to use against him, that the gay plague supported him. he's also got a long history of giving to lots of other anti-gay candidates while loudly announcing how gosh darn bad it is that they're anti-gay. so okay, as far as i can tell Thiel is a person who puts his libertarianism vastly above his rights:

http://www.queerty.com/the-folks-raising-cash-for-the-american-foundation-for-equal-rights-they-also-raise-cash-for-the-right-wing-20100829

aaand we're right back to "he's a lovely person" for other reasons, i guess

Triglav posted:

do you think the hulk hogan recording, which was recorded for blackmail and would be explicitly illegal in two-party recording states, helped hulk hogan's career? losing sponsorships, media deals, getting kicked out of wrestling?

it would have been one thing to question and post audio of the drunk racist stuff before and after sex, "drunk words are sober thoughts," but the publishing of the sex tape was straight up clicks-driven character assassination, and the giddiness of gawker to keep it up after personal requests and subsequent court orders shows they don't give a poo poo

shed no crocodile tears for yellow journalism

this hill would be worth dying on if the subject in the surreptitious recording were someone who mattered, like obama or something. instead it's just "lol look at the washed up celeb having sex and burping"

Like I said, the sex tape thing is inexcusable, the people involved should be punished. There's also a lot of good parts of gawker and good reporters that had nothing at all to do with it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

What's your beef? Lay it out for me, hoss.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

a rich libertarian gave money to fiscal conservatives? :monocle:

identity politics aren't the only game in town

and gawker's writers' skills aren't tied to gawker's destiny

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

loving weird that a guy who pays more taxes at a higher rate than most anyone else would support someone whose policies could lower his tax burden

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Triglav posted:

loving weird that a guy who pays more taxes at a higher rate than most anyone else would support someone whose policies could lower his tax burden

why do you think he pays a higher rate?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Smythe posted:

hey, you live in el lay -- have you ever been to "los feliz"? it seems like it's chock-full of funny, creative people (also rich people)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Triglav posted:

a rich libertarian gave money to fiscal conservatives? :monocle:

identity politics aren't the only game in town

and gawker's writers' skills aren't tied to gawker's destiny

I was hoping you'd click the link in my post but here's the important part that makes my point better than I do:

quote:

I don’t expect any person, even wealthy gay men, to be single-issue voters. You’re free to support politicians for whatever reason you like. But there is one non-negotiable piece of criteria when it comes to being a morally intact voter, and that’s whether you get behind somebody who does not believe in equality for all. Mehlman, Singer, and Theil all did just that, and now we’re asking not just for their money, but their participation.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Triglav posted:

oh man :allears:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hackbunny posted:

we literally merged three separate countries a scant 150 years ago to make italy, what's your excuse?

same, except two countries

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

prefect posted:

hey, you live in el lay -- have you ever been to "los feliz"? it seems like it's chock-full of funny, creative people (also rich people)

I live right next to Los feliz and have lunch there daily

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Idk who is bad here, itt

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

prefect posted:

sardinia used to have a serious independence movement, but they're perfectly justified. they aren't italian, they didn't even speak italian, and their island is 100 nautical miles from the mainland. it's also almost entirely mountains so it got very little infrastructure built: no highways, no railways except for short narrow gauge lines (most of which abandoned). if anyone would have the right to secede, it'd be sardinia

the largest secessionist movement though is, of course, the northern league party, which you may know from their incredibly racist propaganda. they have toned down the secessionist rhetoric a long time ago, now they only want to turn italy into a federation, so that the (hard working) north can stop subsidizing the (corrupt, lazy, parasitic) south. when they still were hardcore secessionists they were the funniest: they had their own radio station, newspaper, incredibly inaccurate history school books, their own made up religious rituals, their own beauty contest only open to pure blood northern girls, their own comic book superhero, I think they even symbolically printed their own money. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. nowadays they're a garden variety low information voter party

then you have the italian north-east which is scarily similar to the US southern states: guns, bibles, farmland, small factories built on former farmland, suburban hellscapes and xenophobia. if you guessed that they were under austrian rule before unification, you woulda guessed right. I think they believe themselves too good to secede (too busy with work, you see), but occasionally you do get the kooks who symbolically "take over" the bell tower at st mark's in venice or write manifestos

there's a german speaking minority in another former austrian region, who feel like they belong more to austria than italy, but iirc they were never serious about independence. they complain and they aren't entirely wrong to complain, as they were discriminated and e.g. pressured to stop using german. you know giorgio moroder, right? his "real" name was hans georg, but his parents were forced to register him as giovanni giorgio

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Triglav posted:

lol there's probably not a single employed person in this thread who pays lower taxes by % than him

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Smythe posted:

this thread is real good when it talks about tech bubbles and real bad when it talks about gawker and/or pittsburgh

(all threads with pittsburgh in them are bad)

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

why do you think he pays a higher rate?

investments aren't considered earned income and at higher income levels are subject to more taxes federally and in california than other sources of income

after the social security cap is hit, the medicare and net investment income taxes come into play. in california, mental health taxes are introduced, and all financial companies are taxed at higher rates than any other kind of business

these are some of the reasons why companies have begun to prefer returning capital to shareholders through buybacks instead of dividends, and why bay area financial companies operate out of reno nevada

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

qirex posted:

lol there's probably not a single employed person in this thread who pays lower taxes by % than him

wait is using perfectly legal taxation rules to their fullest still A Form Of Theft in yospos??

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it is morally and ethically correct to pay the least amount of tax legally possible

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Triglav posted:

investments aren't considered earned income and at higher income levels are subject to more taxes federally and in california than other sources of income

after the social security cap is hit, the medicare and net investment income taxes come into play. in california, mental health taxes are introduced, and all financial companies are taxed at higher rates than any other kind of business

these are some of the reasons why companies have begun to prefer returning capital to shareholders through buybacks instead of dividends, and why bay area financial companies operate out of reno nevada

financial companies operate out of reno because nevada exists solely as a tax haven. also :lol: at investment income having more federal tax than regular income.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

hackbunny posted:

the largest secessionist movement though is, of course, the northern league party, which you may know from their incredibly racist propaganda. they have toned down the secessionist rhetoric a long time ago, now they only want to turn italy into a federation, so that the (hard working) north can stop subsidizing the (corrupt, lazy, parasitic) south. when they still were hardcore secessionists they were the funniest: they had their own radio station, newspaper, incredibly inaccurate history school books, their own made up religious rituals, their own beauty contest only open to pure blood northern girls, their own comic book superhero, I think they even symbolically printed their own money. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. nowadays they're a garden variety low information voter party
lmao ok this i have to see

quote:

then you have the italian north-east which is scarily similar to the US southern states: guns, bibles, farmland, small factories built on former farmland, suburban hellscapes and xenophobia. if you guessed that they were under austrian rule before unification, you woulda guessed right. I think they believe themselves too good to secede (too busy with work, you see), but occasionally you do get the kooks who symbolically "take over" the bell tower at st mark's in venice or write manifestos
wait for reals? didn't know that. i wonder if i'll see anything in trieste - i was planning to go there later this year on a short holiday.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

this thread is real good when it talks about tech bubbles and real bad when it talks about gawker and/or pittsburgh

(all threads with pittsburgh in them are bad)

This isn't a gbs style "mock thread". Your QQ is fail and dismissed *bangs gavel*

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

qirex posted:

I think that guy sustained a brain injury recently

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
gently caress.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Shaggar posted:

it is morally and ethically correct to pay the least amount of tax legally possible

the supreme court agrees

Mr. Nice! posted:

financial companies operate out of reno because nevada exists solely as a tax haven. also :lol: at investment income having more federal tax than regular income.

just because nevada isnt set up how you like doesnt mean its a tax haven. california will rightfully pursue alien nevada corporations with a nexus in california for their tax liability

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Smythe posted:

I live right next to Los feliz and have lunch there daily

:monocle:

have you ever been to the drawing room? it's the bar dan harmon always goes to

hackbunny posted:

[italian stuff]

thanks! this is good reading :tipshat:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

maniacdevnull posted:

wait is using perfectly legal taxation rules to their fullest still A Form Of Theft in yospos??

it is here in Little LF

saute the rich in their wine collections etc

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

prefect posted:

:monocle:

have you ever been to the drawing room? it's the bar dan harmon always goes to

thanks! this is good reading :tipshat:

I have. I prefer the alcove which is a block away because I have fail aids and no taste.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Drawing room is good tho and one of the last dive bars still standing, holding out against the unrelenting tide of super-gentrification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Smythe posted:

I have. I prefer the alcove which is a block away because I have fail aids and no taste.

wow. if i had infinite money i'd take a trip to la just to see if i could accidentally run into harmon :swoon:

if we could make travel really super-cheap, i'd take a lot of teeny-tiny vacations

• Locked thread