Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

mcmagic posted:

The card says that when it enters the battlefield it "loses "enchant creature card in a graveyard" and gains "enchant creature put onto the battlefield with Animate Dead." This says that the only legal target would be the Worldgorger.

No. That trigger goes on the stack but you select the target before that trigger resolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

The card says that when it enters the battlefield it "loses "enchant creature card in a graveyard" and gains "enchant creature put onto the battlefield with Animate Dead." This says that the only legal target would be the Worldgorger.

that's not a targetting restriction at all

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

I'll point out that Worldgorger Dragon is definitely not on the battlefield by the time its "When Worldgorger Dragon leaves the battlefield..." trigger resolves.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SoftNum posted:

No. That trigger goes on the stack but you select the target before that trigger resolves.

The trigger that makes it lose "Enchant Creature in a GY." OK. It doesn't read that way though.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

mcmagic posted:

The trigger that makes it lose "Enchant Creature in a GY." OK. It doesn't read that way though.

No when it's flickered it's a new object with it's base attributes, not it's modified attributes. It's as if it's a new Animate Dead.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

mcmagic posted:

Mind explaining this? Why does animate dead remember this change through the flicker? Why is a worldgorger dragon in your graveyard a "creature put onto the battlefield with animate dead"? Why does Worldgorger remember being on the battlefield and not become a different object?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Emerson Cod posted:

Hopefully the lack of Zendikar fetches here means they plan on sticking them in a real set in the near future.

I keep saying, they'll be jammed into Conspiracy to get people to buy it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Zoness posted:

that's not a targetting restriction at all

The wording can be confusing but I think he is saying The actual card says "choose a creature when this is cast" but since it's an aura, when it blinks and returns you must still choose a creature for it to bring back to the battlefield. The rules allow you to choose another creature (considering worldgorger isn't the same instance of that creature anyway) as the aura re-enters the battlefield.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thisuck posted:

drat you laziness! Also my greatest foe as well.

Yes. Good luck on your quest for these.

Zoness posted:

I know it's not a eurogame but what about when SeaFall comes out?
I just got Castles of Mad King Ludwig and soon its expansion. It'll keep me occupied for a long while as a medium-weight tile game. I've wanted this or Suburbia as a heavier Carcassonne for a while.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Okay, mcmagic, think about this: If I play magical hack on your bog raiders to give it plainswalk, and then you play flicker on the bog raiders, does it have plainswalk or swampwalk?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Dr. Stab posted:

Okay, mcmagic, think about this: If I play magical hack on your bog raiders to give it plainswalk, and then you play flicker on the bog raiders, does it have plainswalk or swampwalk?

I'll give you a technically correct answer: Yes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dr. Stab posted:

It has Swampwalk. But Bog Raiders is always a permanent and therefore always a legal target. What is confusing is the way Animal Dead seems to change what it can target if it's on the battlefield.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

But Bog Raiders is always a permanent and therefore always a legal target. What is confusing is the way Animal Dead seems to change what it can target if it's on the battlefield.

It doesn't change what it can target, it changes its enchant clause so it doesn't fall off of what it enchants as soon as the card it initially enchanted is no longer in a graveyard.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

You're right. An entire vintage archetype is built on a lie.

Wrap it up folks.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Stop looking at the literal wording and think about how Animate Dead works intuitively. It can grab any creature from your yard and that holds true when it's flickered.

This is literally how the Worldgorger Dragon combo deck works.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Stop looking at the literal wording and think about how Animate Dead works intuitively. It can grab any creature from your yard and that holds true when it's flickered.

This is literally how the Worldgorger Dragon combo deck works.

I understand that to be true. I'm just saying that the wording is confusing and non intuitive.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

mcmagic posted:

It has Swampwalk. But Bog Raiders is always a permanent and therefore always a legal target. What is confusing is the way Animal Dead seems to change what it can target if it's on the battlefield.

A target for what? What I'm getting at is that the new animate dead that's entering the battlefield doesn't care that a previous animate dead on the battlefield had its text changed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

A target for what? What I'm getting at is that the new animate dead that's entering the battlefield doesn't care that a previous animate dead on the battlefield had its text changed.

My point was that it reads like the new post-flicker Animate Dead also has that text because it's entered the battlefield.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

My point was that it reads like the new post-flicker Animate Dead also has that text because it's entered the battlefield.

Can you name any card in Magic that remembers changes to an object after it gets exiled and then returned to play?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

Worldgorger + Animate Dead is an old-rear end combo and they haven't actually changed how Animate Dead works.

The whole point of Animate Dead's hideously complicated current wording is to make it work exactly like it always did in a way that's consistent with the current rules and current templating standards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jabor posted:

Can you name any card in Magic that remembers changes to an object after it gets exiled and then returned to play?

There are cards that behave differently on cast than on entering the battlefield though... I'm not saying it remembers the change. I'm saying that it reads like it's always like that if it's on the battlefield.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jabor posted:

Skullbriar :colbert:

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

local game store posted:

Entry: $49.99
Format: 3 rounds of Swiss

Prize Payout:
(1 pack per match win)
3-0: 3 packs Eternal Masters
2-1: 2 packs Eternal Masters
1-2: 1 pack Eternal Masters
0-3: 1 pack Shadows over Innistrad

yeah. Okay. Sure thing. totally paying $50 to draft and get a pity pack of SoI if I wash out.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Turn 1: Swamp, Entomb
Turn 2: Mana Crypt, Mountain, Keldon Marauders, Animate Dead

OK, Mana Crypt is kindof cheating. I guess it would realistically have to be:
Turn 1: Swamp, Entomb
Turn 2: Mountain, Animate Dead. Run the loop for a bit to generate an arbitrary amount of black and red mana. Use eg Eyeblight's Ending to kill Worldgorger Dragon in response to its trigger, leaving your board exiled. Avarax for the win.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Telex posted:

yeah. Okay. Sure thing. totally paying $50 to draft and get a pity pack of SoI if I wash out.

Geez. That's a huge $60 rake per 8-player game. Guess it's their way of selling above-MSRP packs.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

mcmagic posted:

There are cards that behave differently on cast than on entering the battlefield though... I'm not saying it remembers the change. I'm saying that it reads like it's always like that if it's on the battlefield.

As it reenters the battlefield due to Worldgorger leaving play, you choose a thing for it to enchant the way you do for any other aura that is entering the battlefield through a means other than being cast. Because the ETB trigger has not happened yet (for this new instance of Animate Dead) the class of thing it enchants is still "Creature card in a graveyard." You pick a creature card in a graveyard for it to enchant. It need not be the Worldgorger Dragon.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Just pretend Animate Dead still has the 4th edition wording, that probably makes things clearer.

Or Maybe McMagic is right and all those tournaments people won with Worldgorger combo were just bad judge calls all along.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I am shocked that my store is doing $35.00 for EM drafts, but hasn't said what prizes are going to be yet but I dont think he has the packs to do a prize pool in EM. Modern masters drafts were 45 i think so just over msrp is nice.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Telex posted:

This is swiss, so the average win is 1.5 packs of EMA, which means you're spending $50 for statistically 4.5 packs of EMA, or $5 for the opportunity to draft on top of the 4.5 packs you're buying.

If you're in the top 4, you break even (having paid $50 for 5 packs).

It's not amazing prizing but it's not completely terrible.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think it's pretty terrible when most of the time when you pay msrp on 3 packs in a non-garbage store you're buying 5 packs.

Telex did you say you were in NY, are those montasy's prices?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Imagine if wizards just fuckin' printed enough of the set that stores could sell packs at MSRP.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Zoness posted:

I think it's pretty terrible when most of the time when you pay msrp on 3 packs in a non-garbage store you're buying 5 packs.

Telex did you say you were in NY, are those montasy's prices?

I'm seriously glad that both my LGS's charge MSRP for everything. I couldn't imagine going to a store that continually fucks me.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Entropic posted:

Imagine if wizards just fuckin' printed enough of the set that stores could sell packs at MSRP.

Print to meet demand!?! Next thing you know this guy will be asking for free $50 bills in every pack.

E:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm seriously glad that both my LGS's charge MSRP for everything. I couldn't imagine going to a store that continually fucks me.

I don't blame my LGS for selling in-demand, low print-run products for above MSRP. They're a small business and if the extra few bucks per sale is enough to keep a good store open I'll deal with it.

I do blame WotC for not doing another print-run for a product people clearly want to buy.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 27, 2016

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Weren't most MM15 packs sold at msrp? I thought it was just the first set that had huge supply issues.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I keep waiting for them to finally dial down the caution just slightly for the overly-paranoid-about-a-Chronicles-scenario standard they set with the first Modern Masters. If anything MM increased the price of modern staples. The lesson they should be taking here isn't "The set sold out! Huge success! Do that again!" it's "we sold out of this set and didn't put a dent in the secondary market, maybe next time we could lower the MSRP by a buck or two, print twice as much, make more money, and still not piss of the collectors."

Entropic fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 27, 2016

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
1. You cast Animate Dead and choose a target card in your graveyard.
2. It enters the battlefield and you attach it to the target card in your graveyard, as per "Enchant creature card in your graveyard". It is not attached to a card on the battlefield at this point.
3. Animate Dead's "When Animate Dead enters the battlefield" ability triggers and is stacked.
4. When the ability resolves, the creature card is put onto the battlefield, Animate Dead's Enchant ability is swapped, and it is attached to the creature as part of the resolution of the same trigger.

Replace 1 with You flicker Animate Dead and the result is almost exactly the same.
1. You flicker Animate Dead.
2. As per rule 303.4f, as the aura enters the battlefield you choose a legal object according to the aura's ability and attach the aura to it. As Animate Dead is treated as a new entity, it does not "remember" that its triggered ability resolved previously. So you choose a "creature card in your graveyard" and attach Animate Dead to that card in your graveyard.
3. Animate Dead's "When Animate Dead enters the battlefield" ability triggers and is stacked.
4. When the ability resolves, the creature card is put onto the battlefield, Animate Dead's Enchant ability is swapped, and it is attached to the creature as part of the resolution of the same trigger.

I mean yes, I totally agree that this is not the best wording, but it's the one that is consistent to how the original card worked.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

ThePeavstenator posted:

I don't blame my LGS for selling in-demand, low print-run products for above MSRP. They're a small business and if the extra few bucks per sale is enough to keep a good store open I'll deal with it.
I keep telling my LGS to do this. When MM2015 came out I'm pretty sure he had one of the lowest prices per pack in Canada. And we're up north! He'll do things like have a box of boosters waiting at a higher price for when he sells out of the cheaper ones because he doesn't want to rip anyone off. It's kind of baffling.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Can't wait to draft that Honden deck for value.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Weird to have an ETERNAL themed draft set that doesn't have Dark Ritual in it. Not that Ritual is the best card ever or anything or that it even sees crazy amounts of play, but its one of the most "old school Magic" feeling cards there is.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Weird to have an ETERNAL themed draft set that doesn't have Dark Ritual in it. Not that Ritual is the best card ever or anything or that it even sees crazy amounts of play, but its one of the most "old school Magic" feeling cards there is.

Well what's the point of Dark Ritual with no Hypnotic Spectre?

• Locked thread