Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Since this is sorta the general Dark Souls thread, I'll ask: as someone with just a PC, should I play the previous games or jump straight into 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Since this is sorta the general Dark Souls thread, I'll ask: as someone with just a PC, should I play the previous games or jump straight into 3?

Up to you, they're all good games. The order which you play them doesn't really matter either, since the stories aren't that connected.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

You wont get all the DS1 references in DS3 but honestly it's fine to start with DS3. It'll make DS1 seem like a treat to go back to (if you care about the lore/story)

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Just got my first invasion hate-mail, I've now had the full Dark Souls experience.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Weird Sandwich posted:

Just got my first invasion hate-mail, I've now had the full Dark Souls experience.

Gimme

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer
Anyone know if you get softbanned for using cheat engine to add an item in? I lost my twin prince greatsword after transferring too many things at once and I really don't want to go through another two play throughs just to mess around with the thing. :smith:

Alternatively if anyone wants to trade I'm on Steam, I have plenty of other stuff to give for either of those prince swords.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

EC posted:

I'm like 85% positive this worked in DS1. I remember timing a WOG to bounce back someone's MLGS laser at some point.

I drink a lot Gough so my memory isn't super reliable

maybe you did it on purpose but I love the idea that you play so much dark souls that your phone has "Gough" in its autocorrect dictionary

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

CruzerZERO posted:

Anyone know if you get softbanned for using cheat engine to add an item in? I lost my twin prince greatsword after transferring too many things at once and I really don't want to go through another two play throughs just to mess around with the thing. :smith:

Alternatively if anyone wants to trade I'm on Steam, I have plenty of other stuff to give for either of those prince swords.

Even breathing near Cheat Engine will probably get you banned. Don't risk it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Alabaster White posted:

Stack physical + fire defense. You should never be hit by Lothric's attacks. Wear Fallen Knight/Black Iron/etc. Also, it's not a bad idea to try blocking. Give a Black Knight Shield a go or something, Lorian's attacks are shockingly not stamina intensive. I'd wear stoneplates over Lloyd's Shield for this though.

They're super-duper weak to Lightning too, so bring Gold Pine Resin. Bundles might work too considering their quick application time, increased damage over Resin, and your short windows to attack.

Lloyd's shield is to avoid getting one shot by certain attacks. I'm already doing 237 a hit with raw astora plus flame arc. I'm pretty sure it's the most powerful weapon you can use at SL1 as the attack rating is over 300. My rings are the two Lloyd's princess and prisoners chain.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer

Alabaster White posted:

Even breathing near Cheat Engine will probably get you banned. Don't risk it.

Yeah, looking it up online is kinda showing that's the case if you ever bring that save online... If anyone has either of the swords for trade you can add me on Steam (link in my profile).

In the meantime I should probably just get around to just running as fast as I can through the game for em.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Golden Goat posted:

It'll make DS1 seem like a treat to go back to (if you care about the lore/story)

Or it won't, since you might miss the quality of life stuff that's been introduced since then.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The biggest greivance with DS1 is that it runs like poo poo compared to DS2/3.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

NTT posted:

The biggest greivance with DS1 is that it runs like poo poo compared to DS2/3.

I keep saying it but I think that dark souls 1 could benefit from a scholar of the first sin edition. Demon's souls too especially if they could redo the 6th arch stone

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Will do! When it rains it pours, just got another one, apparently I am a "coward loser" for winning a 1v2 against some dude and his phantom.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Ineffiable posted:

I keep saying it but I think that dark souls 1 could benefit from a scholar of the first sin edition. Demon's souls too especially if they could redo the 6th arch stone

i'd be down for an HD remaster of demons, but if you ever look at cutting room floor, or another website that focuses on cut content for games, and you look at the 6th archstone stuff, i think it was a good idea that it got cut. what's been pulled from the game data really doesn't mesh with the overall tone of the rest of demons world and aesthetic, and i feel like including it just to include it would actually make the overall experience worse.

for reference, the game data that's been found indicates the 6th archstone would have been more of a generic fantasy world with another castle (world 1-X repeat) with boring beastmen type monsters (tigerman and owlman and bearman and etc.) and the model data that's been produced isn't even bizarrely horrific stuff like the rest of the ingame monsters (hello man-centipedes and demon fetuses), it's exactly the unremarkable stock-fantasy stuff your imagination comes up with when you hear bearman or wolfman or etc. It really seems like it didn't fit the tone of the rest of the game, and it makes sense that it was actually left unfinished. Plus, having a mysterious, ruined 6th archstone where the demons had already won so thoroughly that the survivors in the nexus had to destroy the gateway to the world is a really cool story detail.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I finally ran into a mage in PVP who was just standing back shooting soul arrows at me and remembered to switch to a magic parry shield. Two things: the magic parry window seems enormous, maybe as long as the little explosion animation lasts. Thing 2: it is at least grossly negligent and I'm more inclined to call it malicious that magic parrying has been in two games now and it does NOT bounce the spell back in PVP.

Can you at least bounce spells with force? I don't want to start my online petition until I know the scope of the problem.

Frankly I'm shocked From didn't enable parrying spells with normal shields - people can already do that to their sword spells. From dropping the ball on making mages embarrassed to be mages, and they're usually so diligent.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

homeless poster posted:

i'd be down for an HD remaster of demons, but if you ever look at cutting room floor, or another website that focuses on cut content for games, and you look at the 6th archstone stuff, i think it was a good idea that it got cut. what's been pulled from the game data really doesn't mesh with the overall tone of the rest of demons world and aesthetic, and i feel like including it just to include it would actually make the overall experience worse.

for reference, the game data that's been found indicates the 6th archstone would have been more of a generic fantasy world with another castle (world 1-X repeat) with boring beastmen type monsters (tigerman and owlman and bearman and etc.) and the model data that's been produced isn't even bizarrely horrific stuff like the rest of the ingame monsters (hello man-centipedes and demon fetuses), it's exactly the unremarkable stock-fantasy stuff your imagination comes up with when you hear bearman or wolfman or etc. It really seems like it didn't fit the tone of the rest of the game, and it makes sense that it was actually left unfinished. Plus, having a mysterious, ruined 6th archstone where the demons had already won so thoroughly that the survivors in the nexus had to destroy the gateway to the world is a really cool story detail.

Possible. Demons souls is the only game left without dlc in the series though so I'm suggesting it as a possibility.

They literally do have an enemy that'd basically a yeti but with the mouth in it's stomach so that's kind of original and I don't see why you're calling it generic fantasy when the entire first arch stone is generic western fantasy castle.

Anyways if they could put it in, the extra content would be great. I'm sure there's still a twist or two they can do on it.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

actionjackson posted:

Lloyd's shield is to avoid getting one shot by certain attacks. I'm already doing 237 a hit with raw astora plus flame arc. I'm pretty sure it's the most powerful weapon you can use at SL1 as the attack rating is over 300. My rings are the two Lloyd's princess and prisoners chain.

Prisoner's Chain is a big hit to your defense but I understand if you need the Vit and End. I'd drop it if you can though, especially if getting one-shot is a problem. Sun Princess ring is basically completely inferior to the Estus Ring unless you are getting full healed by a single unbuffed Estus or you are literally running around for the minute or two it takes for SP to regen you to full.

Here's a video of TolomeoR killing them at SL1 without rolling, blocking, or parrying, which will give you a good sense of how to position against them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnjlaiimDrs

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

AttackBacon posted:

Prisoner's Chain is a big hit to your defense but I understand if you need the Vit and End. I'd drop it if you can though, especially if getting one-shot is a problem. Sun Princess ring is basically completely inferior to the Estus Ring unless you are getting full healed by a single unbuffed Estus or you are literally running around for the minute or two it takes for SP to regen you to full.

Here's a video of TolomeoR killing them at SL1 without rolling, blocking, or parrying, which will give you a good sense of how to position against them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnjlaiimDrs

It's 10% more damage. At low SL the 5 points of vigor give you more than 10% more health.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Fextra saying the red-eyed Lothric Knight outside Emma's chamber can be farmed for Refined Gems. True?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Deified Data posted:

Fextra saying the red-eyed Lothric Knight outside Emma's chamber can be farmed for Refined Gems. True?

Yes but like all gems the droprate is abysmal so good luck with that. He always drops a guaranteed one on your first kill, but after that its RNG.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I've been thinking about why I'm so burned out on this game, considering I've loved all the souls games since demons. I realised that the second bonfire in Dragon aerie peak where Havel spawns once and where infinite knights spawn, is basically the first time in any of the games as far as I know that there's been anywhere to farm souls that quickly, safely and easily. It's like, why not just level myself to the moon, I might as well? Obviously doing that would somewhat trivialize the rest of the game and thus ruin it, but not doing so, I'll always feel like the only reason my weapon isn't maxed / I'm not wearing the clothes I want / casting all the spells is because I've decided to limit myself artificially to make the game harder.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

!Klams posted:

I've been thinking about why I'm so burned out on this game, considering I've loved all the souls games since demons. I realised that the second bonfire in Dragon aerie peak where Havel spawns once and where infinite knights spawn, is basically the first time in any of the games as far as I know that there's been anywhere to farm souls that quickly, safely and easily. It's like, why not just level myself to the moon, I might as well? Obviously doing that would somewhat trivialize the rest of the game and thus ruin it, but not doing so, I'll always feel like the only reason my weapon isn't maxed / I'm not wearing the clothes I want / casting all the spells is because I've decided to limit myself artificially to make the game harder.

I usually pick a goal level, and try to stick to it. For this game it was 70, and I had no problem finishing everything.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

!Klams posted:

Maybe Dark Souls is just getting stale for you.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Golden Goat posted:

Maybe Dark Souls is just getting stale for you.

Yeah, could be. I didn't really feel like this one had anything new in it at all. I played all the games totally blind because I find it a LOT more fun that way, but I guess this time around it didn't feel blind because at this point it's filling a formula.

I also get the impression that my play experience is completely different from most people, for various reasons.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/illusorywall/status/735926742133673985
https://twitter.com/illusorywall/status/735927142991663104

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah I found that out watching Slowbeef's stream the other day. That would be a great spot for PvP dickery too.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

!Klams posted:

Phalanx in the Painted World, bro

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Yeah I found this out when I tried to trick an invader by fighting them on it. :smith:

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

!Klams posted:

There's always been easy places to farm souls and that is *usually* an end-game area (although there's way to get there quicker, it does require beating two fairly challenging bosses). As you say a couple posts later, it's probably got more to do with the formula becoming stale. I've been hearing that a lot from people whose enjoyment of Dark Souls had a lot to do with the mystery and discovery that the first game (Demon's or Dark, whichever you played first) did so well. It was this impenetrable thing but if you put in the work it was like a whole new world opened up as you realized all the little details and quirks that made the game amazing. DS3 doesn't have that as much. It's still very lovingly crafted but it's a sendoff for the series, it is crazy self-referential both in lore and in world and encounter design.

For me the enjoyment in these games has always had more to do with creating awesome archetypes and then breaking the game over my knee. Since DS3 is by far the most visually appealing of the games and has solid build diversity (less than DS2 SotFS, but we'll see how it looks after the DLC), as well as in my opinion by far the best combat, I'm having more fun with it than any of the previous games except Bloodborne (which had even better combat but less build diversity).

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Crossposting; Google has failed me so I figured I'd ask here:

Anyone have a link to a dark souls (1 & 3) bestiary that contains lore on the basic enemies of the regions? I'm trying to create a pen and paper variant of the game and it would be great to have some reference material. I don't need info on bosses or general npc's lore wise, that's pretty easy to find.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Weird Sandwich posted:

I killed someone in the Faithful area and he told me that I killed him on the way to claiming 80k souls and I felt really bad somI told him not to walk through embered and I like that the game is based around sharing little tips like that with the community.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

:smith:

You mean I didn't defeat that invader on an invisible bridge, just some lame invisible hallway? My life is a lie.

It's so close to the bonfire!

BBQ Dave fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 27, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes but like all gems the droprate is abysmal so good luck with that. He always drops a guaranteed one on your first kill, but after that its RNG.

FYI he's wrong. The knight by Emma leading to Lothric castle (who has one of those healing priests near him. ) drops one everytime he is spawned.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Blacktoll posted:

FYI he's wrong. The knight by Emma leading to Lothric castle (who has one of those healing priests near him. ) drops one everytime he is spawned.

I was talking about the one before the area, in High Wall. I know he drops one refined gem but I heard he's farmable, too.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Blacktoll posted:

I farmed him and unless they patched it he doesn't. He only drops one the first time and a reasonable rate afterwards.

e: nvm I misread your post.

e2: AFAIK none of the lothric knights have a guaranteed refined gem drop except that one in front of Emmas room.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 27, 2016

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Hacker invades a streamer as a Nameless King "miniboss", even fakes a phase change when he's brought below half health. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrbTSHRIhmg&t=523s

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Apparently I misread too, sorry.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

nameless king had to try very hard in order to not kill that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Cyberventurer posted:

Hacker invades a streamer as a Nameless King "miniboss", even fakes a phase change when he's brought below half health. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrbTSHRIhmg&t=523s

This owns bones, if every hacker were like this I wouldn't even mind. That's really good.