Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Cyberventurer posted:

Hacker invades a streamer as a Nameless King "miniboss", even fakes a phase change when he's brought below half health. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrbTSHRIhmg&t=523s

That's soo cool.

I'd love it if one of the DLC's allowed players to become a boss ala Demon's Souls but a lot more...boss-y. Like maybe the player becomes huge, gets unique skills, and maybe has some sort of a cooldown on some skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

GulagDolls posted:

nameless king had to try very hard in order to not kill that guy

I absolutely wouldn't be able to reign in my reflexes in a scenario like this.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Are there any weapons with weapon arts (especially stance-based ones, since I almost entirely ignored those so far) which are actually secretly good that people tend not to mention? I just saw a video of someone making the Twin Princes' Sword look loving broken (and fun as BALLS to use) in spite of it hitting like a wet noodle with its regular hits.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Could a hacker make an Avelyn shoot dung piles? A dual Avelyn, poop shooting, miniboss invader would be pretty hilarious.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Anri dying just because I missed some hidden creature with no signs whatsoever around it is probably the lamest poo poo that ever happened in a souls game for me. But then I also never saved Solaire in DS1. Guess I'm just bad at keeping people alive. :saddowns:

Hell of a weird wedding after the fact though. :stonk:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Everyone goes hollow anyway even if you do the quest right, who cares

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's pretty arcane, and relies either on your propensity for smashing random debris (this is what saved me) or the fact that you're playing online and gravitate towards wherever you see out-of-place messages. Even that last one's kinda iffy as DS3 made me more dismissive of "secret over here so try weapon durability" messages than ever before.

Solaire was pretty bad too, actually. So was Kaathe and joining the Darkwraiths.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cyberventurer posted:

Hacker invades a streamer as a Nameless King "miniboss", even fakes a phase change when he's brought below half health. :allears:

See, THIS is what I wanted to do with hacking and poo poo. This looks amazing and fun.

*EDIT*
I remember doing something a bit like this back in DS1, but not nearly with this much expertise. Basically +50 Havel armor and 3000 hp, but no silent invasion, no name change or anything like that, but the NPC behavior and poo poo.

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 27, 2016

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I think Dark Souls 1 was a lot better about NPC placement and relocation triggers, so it didn't really bother me that I couldn't save Solaire or I didn't get Crystal Breath from Logan on my first run--it was a blind run so I couldn't have felt bad for missing it. Getting Siegmeyer's "proper" ending on a blind run was a great moment though.

It's a deliberate design decision to make the NPC quests obtuse, I believe. It's pretty gratifying to stumble onto something unexpected.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Even by Soulsborne standards the quests in this game are obtuse and easy to fail.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Gus Hobbleton posted:

The tongue on the symbol of avarice has jiggle physics.

God drat I wish there was a way to wear it without it draining health.

If only it had boobs instead of a tongue.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Does Carthus Beacon stack with Pontiff's Right Eye?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It does but the results are still worthless unless you run a twinblade build

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

RyokoTK posted:

Even by Soulsborne standards the quests in this game are obtuse and easy to fail.

They are, but not way more so than Solaire's quest for example. To save Solaire, you have to find a covenant that has nothing to do with him which is hidden behind an invisible wall in an area you're likely to pass through without a second thought, join the covenant, spend a while wasting a precious resource on it to rank it up, figure out that this opens a shortcut on the whole other side of the area (again there's nothing whatsoever pointing you to do this), open the shortcut, and kill a bug, all without beating a specific boss on the other side of the area again or he'll freak the gently caress out and you have to kill him. It's become well known that you have to do all that weird stuff to save him, so nobody thinks about it anymore, but it's ridiculously obscure and I can't possibly imagine you were supposed to be able to figure it out without failing the quest at least once. If you aren't regularly returning to Altar of Sunlight you're probably never even going to get the idea that Solaire might go to Izalith until you see him there attacking you with a bug on his head.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
People found him with the bug on his face, then probably only figured out the quest properly after they started trying to get into that little section by backtracking to sequence break. Which is fine! I can only imagine the first japanese guy to Actually Find the Untended Graves or Dragonwhatever Peak in DS3

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I think Dark Souls 1 was a lot better about NPC placement and relocation triggers, so it didn't really bother me that I couldn't save Solaire or I didn't get Crystal Breath from Logan on my first run--it was a blind run so I couldn't have felt bad for missing it. Getting Siegmeyer's "proper" ending on a blind run was a great moment though.

It's a deliberate design decision to make the NPC quests obtuse, I believe. It's pretty gratifying to stumble onto something unexpected.

A lot of the NPC poo poo in this game requires silly amounts of backtracking. Some of this is pretty innocent -- Leonhard giving you a key that unlocks a door in an earlier area is fine. But then some of the best NPC content requires really obscure backtracking, the kind where there's not really a hint or a reason to go back to an area specifically; you just have to get lucky.

Patches -- Either backtrack through the shrine maiden tower (which you probably already went through earlier in the game) or backtrack through Cathedral of the Deep (if you opened the main door last, say)

Siegmeyer -- Have to backtrack to a well in order to find him and continue his storyline; he wasn't in the well until I'd basically cleared out the entire cathedral, by which point I had no reason to wander near the well. And if you go to the Irithyll Dungeon before meeting him in the manor (an arbitrary choice), then his questline will semi-fail; you still get a titanite slab, and he'll still fight Yhorm with you, but you don't get his armor (or at least I didn't when I did this; his weapon was left behind, but not his armor).

Sirris -- This questline opens at the bridge to Irithyll, after you've killed the beast there and reloaded the area. The problem is that you have no reason to reload the area before crossing the bridge, so it's likely that you'll miss it. And then there's the craziness of backtracking to the Pit of Hollows for her next encounter, but there's at least a hint for that if you happen to notice a second Green Blossom slot in the Shrine Handmaiden's inventory; I'm willing to excuse that since there is a hint, and it's in the inventory of an NPC whom you've probably been visiting pretty frequently. But there's no exucse for having to backtrack to the bridge to Irithyll.

All of this stuff is easily as bad as the Solaire thing in DS1, where you had to unlock a secret wall by ranking up a covenant and then kill some bugs but not proceed any further than that, which no sane person would do unless they knew what was going to happen. That's the only seriously bad quest design in DS1 from what I can remember, the rest is just obscure. And I don't recall any serious NPC bullshit in DS2; it seemed like I was meeting NPCs and progressing their questlines in a reasonable way, anything non-obvious at least had a hint or two suggesting how to proceed and didn't require randomly revisiting areas or doing specific weird things

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 27, 2016

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
doesn't help that the solaire quest seems to poo poo itself all the time and bug a crucial step. at least DS3 quests tend to work even if they're stupid obtuse.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Untended graves wasn't so bad to find. I guess I found ash lake myself too. Dragon peak I have no clue how anyone found, even if it did seem like there should be something there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cyberventurer posted:

that's really cool. hell, that's cooler than the old monk

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The worst quest NPC bullshit in Dark Souls 2 was Lucatiel before people figured out you can just do The Rotten a bunch with Ascetics. She's a loving terrible phantom and you have to keep her alive through multiple boss fights.

There's some degree of challenge in even getting her to the Lost Sinner or Flexile Sentry before she finds a way to fall into bottomless water and die.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The only annoying part is having to think about soul/human form. If I could just retry they might have been fun challenges, but managing a consumable resource at the same time sucked. I don't know why they insist on that crap in every game in the series - bloodborne was so much better for not having it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

NTT posted:

People found him with the bug on his face, then probably only figured out the quest properly after they started trying to get into that little section by backtracking to sequence break. Which is fine! I can only imagine the first japanese guy to Actually Find the Untended Graves or Dragonwhatever Peak in DS3

I'm assuming guides made it out before the game did, in which case the the first person to discover it likely had it spoiled for them as that's the quickest surefire way of discovering it. I wasn't able to discover Archdragon Peak on my own because some jerk on Reddit was gushing about it on a thread about Pontiff Sulyvahn strategies, of all places.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The only annoying part is having to think about soul/human form. If I could just retry they might have been fun challenges, but managing a consumable resource at the same time sucked. I don't know why they insist on that crap in every game in the series - bloodborne was so much better for not having it.

Being Embered is a buff, as opposed to the usual system of being punished for dying you just return to normal.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 27, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Except for how some things changed depending on your level of that consumable item, which you also spent to get gear on top of multiplayer. That sucked.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Do I need to grind covenant stuff for cheevos?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Deified Data posted:

I was talking about the one before the area, in High Wall. I know he drops one refined gem but I heard he's farmable, too.

Yeah he definitely drops refined more than once, I've seen it myself, but good luck with the drop-rate.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Except for how some things changed depending on your level of that consumable item, which you also spent to get gear on top of multiplayer. That sucked.
Eh the effects were incredibly minor there, mostly ignorable. I guess I never did any multiplayer in BB so I dunno about that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Smol posted:

You need some rings from them so yes. I don't know which ones since I never bothered.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Smol posted:

yes for rings and spells. Don't do it

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Smol posted:

Yes. If you're on PC you can try the Family Share Account thing to get summons.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Alabaster White posted:

Even breathing near Cheat Engine will probably get you banned. Don't risk it.

This is not true by any stretch.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NTT posted:

Archdragon Peak was so obvious I didn't realize the clues until after I'd beat the game, but I found Untended Graves on my first go, largely because it is hidden in much the same way Ash Lake was.

Ash Lake I discovered because there was a sign down that told me the wall was illusory, and then when I saw a chest after it, I swung at the chest out of habit for checking for Mimics adn found the second hidden wall. So, it's possible.

EpicNameBro finds both places on his own seemingly without outside help, in his recent playthrough.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Smol posted:

No, you can instead ignore "cheevos" and engage fully with the world around you. Have it your way.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gus Hobbleton posted:

See, THIS is what I wanted to do with hacking and poo poo. This looks amazing and fun.

It's a series of spell animation swaps. I'll be impressed if he actually knows how to read the parameter tables and doesn't have to set that up by hand every time he boots the game.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Smol posted:

yes. literally all of them. you need all rings for one achievment and spells for others and every covenant has a ring or spell in it. blue cops covenant has both a ring and a miracle so you need farm 30 ears :shepicide:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I found archdragon peak because when I got to the connecting area in irithyll dungeon, I saw the mat with the dragon statue sitting on it and noticed the structure in the mountains so I assumed a) that was the location of the dragon level and b) I had to sit on the mat like the statue. I tried a whole bunch of sitting gestures before I gave up; once I got the dragon gesture and activated the untended graves bonfire, I immediately went back to the dungeon to gain access to the peak

I found untended graves because of an "illusory wall" message

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Rosarias and Aldrich you only need to get to rank 1 in for spells/rings at least. and you can try farming the items for the others at a few choice locations with an absurd amount of item discovery gear, I was rocking 2 crystal sage rapiers and the symbol ov avarice to get the last few swordgrasses/ears/vertebrae shackles.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Right. Guess I'll forget the covenant grind. Did a few hours of level ~35 watchdog pvp, that is, mostly I was just running from 3 man gank squads with hornet rings and stuff.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cyberventurer posted:

Exactly the sort of thing I wish more hackers would do, rather than just twink out or look to gently caress over peoples' games.

I remember in DS1 getting attacked by someone who gave himself a giant head, but had taken off his arms and simply attacked with kicks. :allears:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Smol posted:

Right. Guess I'll forget the covenant grind. Did a few hours of level ~35 watchdog pvp, that is, mostly I was just running from 3 man gank squads with hornet rings and stuff.

yeah, I am glad I grinded the pvp covenant rewards at launch when you still had a good chance of invading someone 1v1. I mean there were still 2v1 and 3v1 games, but even those were people legitimately playing through a level with their friends, so they weren't min-maxed gank squads who camp the pvp phantom spawn points. it's way more fun to fight 2 or 3 v 1 when the 2 or 3 people are wearing clownsuits and wielding weapons that are otherwise suboptimal just because they happen to drop in that zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If I were a hacker with top freedom..
The crazy things from Dragonslayer Armour? I'd fly one of those. The AC130 of Dark Souls.
I'd do a DS1 dragonbreath like thing and spam whatever can be thrown that way but mainly turds, and out of my butt, while also having a ninjaflip ring effect hacked in so I make somersaults of poo poo.