Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

cloofish posted:

Tried dines for the first time today. Not really in the dad territory (going on 23 next month), but I figured what the hell, might as well get a head start. Growing up, my mom loved sardines and my dad hated everything about them. Go figure.

Basically I just bought the recommended King Oscar's in the OP and toasted some Thomas Whole Grain English muffins and put sardines on it and :tviv: where has this been in my life. The taste, the health benefits, the price, the it's all there. I've been wondering why one of GBS's biggest threads is about some dumb fish for a while now but now I've been enlightened. Probably going to have the same thing with an egg tomorrow then try out some dine recipes over the weekend.

e: And I was worried about the bones, but I didn't taste or feel them at all except for the occasional spine, which was actually a treat.

Congratulations and welcome! You don't have to be a dad to eat a 'dine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Congratulations and welcome! You don't have to be a dad to eat a 'dine.

But if you eat them, you very well may become a dad.

Zydrate
Jun 28, 2011
Dinner was awesome. Sardicado sandwich (open face), green olive sampler plate, xtra garlic vampire slayer cheese curds, and a couple of pints of Kingpin double red ale.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Zydrate posted:

Dinner was awesome. Sardicado sandwich (open face), green olive sampler plate, xtra garlic vampire slayer cheese curds, and a couple of pints of Kingpin double red ale.

Enjoy your rancid bedfarts buddy

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
attn dads I'm going to do my secret fighting game cooking move where I have charged up the meter all the way by doing other poo poo and now the super move is coming: beef tongue, tomorrow, stay tuned

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

can someone make this vicariously for me? i refuse to eat this many carbs on principle
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013094-pasta-with-sardines-bread-crumbs-and-capers

naem
May 29, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

But if you eat them, you very well may become a dad.

I'm pregnat

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Sheep-Goats posted:

I think the sardine of liqour would have to be repellent to women and children so it's probably scotch.

I'm gonna vote for soju, which is repellent to everyone I know but me. Even the Korean grocers/waiters raise a dubious Mr Spock-like eyebrow when I buy it. (FWIW, I'm one of those rare gin-loving women, and my favorite cocktail is a Manhattan. So I guess between that and my love of tinned fishies, I'm like a trans-dad or something.)

Business Gorillas posted:

can someone make this vicariously for me? i refuse to eat this many carbs on principle
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013094-pasta-with-sardines-bread-crumbs-and-capers

I'd be all over that but I have to wait until the next time my bf's out of the house and I can open the windows. Try as I might, I cannot convince him to eat a dine, and the one time I cooked them (in fisherman's eggs) he groused about the smell the whole day. I have to eat them uncooked, after he goes to sleep, in the cover of darkness, at the opposite end of the house, like I'm eating a loving ortolan

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Wtf is with people saying gin isn't a women's drink?

There's a sterotype that gin is an old ladies drink & most of the women in my life who drink prefer gin (and all of them prefer hendricks if they can).

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm gonna vote for soju, which is repellent to everyone I know but me. Even the Korean grocers/waiters raise a dubious Mr Spock-like eyebrow when I buy it. (FWIW, I'm one of those rare gin-loving women, and my favorite cocktail is a Manhattan. So I guess between that and my love of tinned fishies, I'm like a trans-dad or something.)

I'd be all over that but I have to wait until the next time my bf's out of the house and I can open the windows. Try as I might, I cannot convince him to eat a dine, and the one time I cooked them (in fisherman's eggs) he groused about the smell the whole day. I have to eat them uncooked, after he goes to sleep, in the cover of darkness, at the opposite end of the house, like I'm eating a loving ortolan

I'm sorry but it appears you are dating an underdeveloped manchild, if he can't put up with you eating a healthy fish meal because of his sensitive delicate nosey-wosey.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Haverchuck posted:

its just french style pork n beans pretty much, i want to make it in a dutch oven on a campfire

You also need at least one goose drumstick. This is important.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gin is weird because for like centuries it was the bathtub swill that you could get for dirt cheap no matter shiftless of a hobo you are, hence terms like gin-soaked and Gin Lane and the Gin Act

To be honest it's still mostly swill but now it's more expensive because people think it's exotic

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Epic High Five posted:

Gin is weird because for like centuries it was the bathtub swill that you could get for dirt cheap no matter shiftless of a hobo you are, hence terms like gin-soaked and Gin Lane and the Gin Act

To be honest it's still mostly swill but now it's more expensive because people think it's exotic

Gin is just herbed vodka and it's can be a great thing to drink relax pal

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I think i'll have a gin and tonic this afternoon to cool down.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
French dude here has some really good looking canned 'dine recipes. This is part two, but he recaps Part 1 at the beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AgT9zqCmeM

That korma eggplant dish looks great. The only one I don't like is the sushi roll one, but the 'dine spread he makes for that would be great as a dip.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 27, 2016

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Bought sardines for the first time this week, King Oscar brand. Made fisherman's eggs, then had sardines on toast with bruschetta. It was good. Will eat sardines again.

Also I didn't realize canned sardines last for such a long time. The expiration date on my tin was 2020.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I am a father but now realize I haven't achieved peak dad. I love herring, raw oysters, pickled fish and hot sauce but have always thought of sardines as the mushy gross fish my mother mashed on toast. I am setting out to rectify this misconception. Alas as a Canadian goon the only brands carried in the nearby stores is Brunswick or Canadian clover leaf in water. I do not wish to start at the bottom.

So, living close to the border I can travel to a Trader Joes relatively easily. My question is are the TJ Harissa a worthy competitor to the apparently god tier KO's or do I just pay the price of the north on Amazon?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I believe the OP says Clover Leaf are the same fish as KOs. They're not garbage dines.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Look Sir Droids posted:

I believe the OP says Clover Leaf are the same fish as KOs. They're not garbage dines.

I'm in a minority position here but I really don't think the clover leafs are the same. I disagree with the op, having pretty much only access to clover leaf, millionaire's, brunswicks and a few smaller local brands. They don't compare at all the the KOs mailed to me by number 1 sexy dad.

This has been my opinion on canned fish, thank you for listening.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Look Sir Droids posted:

French dude here has some really good looking canned 'dine recipes. This is part two, but he recaps Part 1 at the beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AgT9zqCmeM

That korma eggplant dish looks great. The only one I don't like is the sushi roll one, but the 'dine spread he makes for that would be great as a dip.

these own, definitely gonna be cooking that aubergine korma recipe

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Also I didn't realize canned sardines last for such a long time. The expiration date on my tin was 2020.

This is important because it means you can justify buying any number of sardines. They will be very valuable after whatever apocalypse scenario you subscribe to or alternatively at some other point before then when you are hungry.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Greatbacon posted:

Wtf is with people saying gin isn't a women's drink?

There's a sterotype that gin is an old ladies drink & most of the women in my life who drink prefer gin (and all of them prefer hendricks if they can).
They don't call it the panty remover for nothing, am I right boys?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Ok sardine cherry busted. I was resigned to wait until I could hit TJ's across the border but I had to get some prosciutto for dinner and lo and behold what did the local italian deli have but Spanish sardines packed in oil. I also didn't eat lunch prior so, yeah, sold.

Prepared. Pepper crackers, homemade Harissa and some Sambal Olek. Also a glass of Riesling since I'm not working this afternoon. Oh and some olives.

A can. Do wonders or horrors lie within?

Upside down for some reason. But pretty and silver.

The test, on a cracker with a touch of harissa. Oh dear god, so rich and flavourful.

Again with sambal olek. Honestly, even better than the harissa.

Trip report: These were loving magnificent. Firm, not mushy, no 'fishy' taste but rich and with a hearty lasting aftertaste. I am surprised at how full I am, very rich. I was thinking I'd eat the olives and maybe some snacks after since I was hungry but nope, am satiated completely. Delicious. I think I overpaid - these were $4 - but as my first sardine exposure completely happy. 10/10 will dine again.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Pastene makes good stuff. Their italian breadcrumbs are a staple in my household, and they make a fine canned mackerel. Great for frying up with flour and said breadcrumb.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I just had some crown prince smoked oysters in hot chili olive oil and wow. They were rich and smoky, with a spicy kick.

Normally when I get down on a can of fish, my pup gets a taste, but she got nothing this time, and I don't even feel bad. A-, will purchase again.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Today we dined on dines. Like kings.

Dines delivered.

Dines destroyed.

E: Although dines are the dadliest of delicacies, it was my goon wife that ordered them. Props to her that was dinelicious.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 28, 2016

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Capoeira Capybara posted:

I just had some crown prince smoked oysters in hot chili olive oil and wow. They were rich and smoky, with a spicy kick.

Normally when I get down on a can of fish, my pup gets a taste, but she got nothing this time, and I don't even feel bad. A-, will purchase again.

Just split a can of these with my mom. Concur on the score.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Wife brought me an anchovy pizza while I'm puttering about getting a work bench in. She tried one bite, spit it out, and gave the rest of her slice to the dog. More for me :coolfish:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Our appetite was whet.

I don't have any kids but if this spread is any indication then we may be expecting soon.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Found a real score today. Fresh dines at the seafood shop. Going to grill them tomorrow. I was thinking skewers, brush with olive oil and salt and pepper. But I'm open to other techniques. Making some steamed clams with garlic butter on side.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

King of Bees posted:

Found a real score today. Fresh dines at the seafood shop. Going to grill them tomorrow. I was thinking skewers, brush with olive oil and salt and pepper. But I'm open to other techniques. Making some steamed clams with garlic butter on side.

How did they come from the store, gutted n deheaded?

Post some pictures of the process pls, that all sounds delicious

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

How did they come from the store, gutted n deheaded?

Post some pictures of the process pls, that all sounds delicious

Straight fishies I will def post the pics

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

King of Bees posted:

Grill them like you want but marinate them for like 30 mins in this: olive oil, salt, pepper, crushed garlic, lemon juice (and some lemon zest if you're feeling frisky). Some finely chopped fresh rosemary thrown there in might be good too.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Rosemary is probably my favorite herb. Stick sprigs in some big ol mushroom caps you've oiled and are barbecuing and you're on your way to flavor.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

PokeJoe posted:

Grill them like you want but marinate them for like 30 mins in this: olive oil, salt, pepper, crushed garlic, lemon juice (and some lemon zest if you're feeling frisky). Some finely chopped fresh rosemary thrown there in might be good too.

drat...thanks!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

King of Bees posted:

drat...thanks!

Maybe a bit of chili flakes?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I read somewhere to throw the rosemary right on the coals as soon as you start grillin. New technique I think I'll try.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

King of Bees posted:

I read somewhere to throw the rosemary right on the coals as soon as you start grillin. New technique I think I'll try.

That sounds really good, report back how it works. Chili flakes would be a fine addition too, or maybe a little cayenne.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

The Clover Leaf Mediterranean Brisling (possibly KOs in a different wrapper) recommendation was spot on, thank you thread. Chomped them down on toast strips with a bit of sriracha or just 'plain', delicious. Not 'fishy', just meaty, rich flavour.

Only hitch is that they're Cdn$3.79 a can, versus $1.79 for the Brunswicks. I might have to try the 'wicks again to see if these are really worth twice as much...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I love the Mediterranean KOs :3:

We got some cheap vegetable-flavoured crackers from dollar general and I had some brunswick kipper snax on them with hot sauce. 👌