Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
What's the next escalation? they kept the entire world from getting nuked, so in order to 1up that poo poo we gotta put the whole universe at risk especially since Ollie is Goku now and uses the power of hope to fuel his spirit bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

What's the next escalation? they kept the entire world from getting nuked, so in order to 1up that poo poo we gotta put the whole universe at risk especially since Ollie is Goku now and uses the power of hope to fuel his spirit bomb.

Do a Gurren Lagann thing and have characters fight by swinging galaxies at each other.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I think I'm on board with the "no longer watching this but will binge on it if I hear people claiming it's good" bandwagon.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Dresh posted:

Do a Gurren Lagann thing and have characters fight by swinging galaxies at each other.

Drill Arrows.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Space, of course. All superhero continuities wind up in space eventually.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Feenix posted:

I think I'm on board with the "no longer watching this but will binge on it if I hear people claiming it's good" bandwagon.

Same, but only on the very last episode. I came back after I said I'd drop it in S3 because of the title of this thread plus positive posts and see how well that went.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Seriously though, what happened to Darhk Daughter. Child of a psychopathic supervillain with magic powers and his equally nutso wife, both of whom were murdered within a couple days of each other by other crazy dudes in masks, had her own life threatened by a third masked nutjob, and dad wanted to bathe her in nuclear fire so she didn't have to live without her mother. Last seen in an underground magic chamber with a magic death idol. But we're not gonna follow up on that at all? Just gonna let all that slide?

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

So I guess Laurel's death wasn't a fakeout since he Ollie went through with the kill.

Meaning Black Canary's final words were proclaiming Olicity to be the One True Arrow Pairing.

At least we'll have Supergirl.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

boom boom boom posted:

They didn't, he was still able to effect that hacker dude. They just didn't work on Oliver, because Oliver had an equal amount of hope magic
That was seriously the dumbest thing in the entire episode, that Dhahrhkh took the time out from his fight with Ollie to kill that dude for betraying him when it couldn't possibly have any value to him to do so.

Senjuro posted:

Smart characters, little to no relationship bullshit, plot that never stops moving, no ridiculous agonizing over killing some guy that is actively trying to kill you. It's no Daredevil or Jessica Jones but at least you don't constantly feel like you're watching a show made for children.
Arrow and the Flash have both been better this season than Daredevil. Arrow and Flash were dumb and annoying, but Daredevil was just boring as poo poo. I watched up to the first episode Kingpin shows up, and him being back kind of makes me want to keep watching, but on the other hand, everything else that's happened this season makes me not want to.

Oh, and plenty of shows made for children are better than any of these shows.

Senjuro posted:

You have to suffer until season 1 episode 17. Maybe watch The Winter Soldier right before that. After that it's a whole different show.
Nope. I watched the entire first season of AoS, and it doesn't improve or change significantly at any point. I can't say whether season two is an improvement, but I doubt it.

CornHolio posted:

Agents of SHIELD is great, so much better than the Marvel movies even. Id like to know what superhero TV shows you're watching that make AOS look like 'mostly trash'
Gotham and Agent Carter. Those are the best recent super hero shows by far.

boom boom boom posted:

It's kind of amazing how high the stakes were in both finales but how unimportant they both felt.
The big problem, I think, is that it was an all-or-nothing threat. Either the world is destroyed or everyone's fine. If you want to have a threat on that scale it has to make things progressively worse over time so we can see that the heroes are actually suffering losses and failures. Because when it's something like the Earth gets nuked or it doesn't, well, we know it's not going to. Everything in between is just killing time.

raditts posted:

Seriously though, what happened to Darhk Daughter. Child of a psychopathic supervillain with magic powers and his equally nutso wife, both of whom were murdered within a couple days of each other by other crazy dudes in masks, had her own life threatened by a third masked nutjob, and dad wanted to bathe her in nuclear fire so she didn't have to live without her mother. Last seen in an underground magic chamber with a magic death idol. But we're not gonna follow up on that at all? Just gonna let all that slide?
She'll be fiiiiiiiiine. What's the worst that could happen?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
I genuinely loving loved the last 2 episodes this season.

Besides some real stinkers of episodes, my every complaint was answered in the finale:
Too big of a cast.
Too many heroes.
Oliver dropping out of the mayoral race.
Flashbacks didnt have anything to build towards Olivers vigilante career.

The later half of the season had some terrible episodes but I'm 100% loving hyyyped for next season.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

raditts posted:

She'll be the Villain in Season 21. Darhkness, Sorceror-Queen of the magic mole people. :boom:

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 27, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Arrow and the Flash have both been better this season than Daredevil.

:lol:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Nope. I watched the entire first season of AoS, and it doesn't improve or change significantly at any point. I can't say whether season two is an improvement, but I doubt it.

Can't improve on perfection.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Finale would have been 100% improved if when Ollie was confronting Darhk on the street, suddenly Darhk gets shot from behind 10 times. Detective Lance walks out of the shadows, says "That's for my baby girl," and throws the gun down. He gives Oliver a knowing look, nods, then turns and walks out of frame.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

10 Beers posted:

Finale would have been 100% improved if when Ollie was confronting Darhk on the street and getting his rear end kicked, suddenly Lance walks out of the shadows wearing a blonde wig and tight black weather and defeats Darkh with a high-powered scream.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

10 Beers posted:

Finale would have been 100% improved if when Ollie was confronting Darhk on the street, suddenly Darhk gets shot from behind 10 times. Detective Lance walks out of the shadows, says "That's for my baby girl," and throws the gun down. He gives Oliver a knowing look, nods, then turns and walks out of frame.

Finale would have been 100% improved if the world ended up completely nuked only to discover the last season and a half was all a dream while recovering from a coma after being stabbed by Ras through the chest.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Tiggum posted:

Gotham is just about the dumbest show on TV. Nothing anyone does makes any sense at all.

The back half of this season was a lot better, but only if you consider better to mean 'throw every possible character into the story at random, and try to tell all their origin stories at once'.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

So is the world free of all nukes now that they were all launched into space? Also no one seems to really give a poo poo about the town of 50k people that was wiped out. Shrug our bad, let's talk about our drama.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

10 Beers posted:

Absolutely. Except before he drops the gun he says "Now I'm the one droppin' bodies."

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Slandible posted:

So is the world free of all nukes now that they were all launched into space? Also no one seems to really give a poo poo about the town of 50k people that was wiped out. Shrug our bad, let's talk about our drama.

Yes, finally we have peace in our time! Nuclear disarmament is complete and everyone gets a puppy.

Havenrock? Nope, never heard of that shithole.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Slandible posted:

They kept saying "every nuke" but it seems the writers just googled "world nuclear arsenal" and ballparked it, the actual quantity of deployable launch-ready nukes is far lower than ~15,000.

But hey, what the hell, let's run with it. Virtually the entire world nuclear arsenal is gone, the world descends into chaos without the atomic boogeyman holding everyone in check and economic calamity follows. Season 5 is a whole season of the Mad Max Beyond The Undertaking ep from LoT. A bright new future awaits us :kheldragar:

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

Tiggum posted:

Arrow and the Flash have both been better this season than Daredevil. Arrow and Flash were dumb and annoying, but Daredevil was just boring as poo poo. I watched up to the first episode Kingpin shows up, and him being back kind of makes me want to keep watching, but on the other hand, everything else that's happened this season makes me not want to.

How can anyone think this

I'm with others who have said this could've been a good series finale if they tweaked it a bit. And by tweaking I mean, for instance, when they were showing what everyone was doing with their lives after leaving the team, Thea was just sitting and looking contemplative on the couch

It's almost like maybe they had a different idea for the finale but they had to rush into this story that gave everyone so much closure and didn't set up a new baddie because it's all going to change because of what happened on Flash

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's right that Daredevil sucked and was boring, but that's all after what he's seen up to.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

McSpanky posted:

They kept saying "every nuke" but it seems the writers just googled "world nuclear arsenal" and ballparked it, the actual quantity of deployable launch-ready nukes is far lower than ~15,000.

It's not like Marvel is any more accurate; the season finale had HIVE (no relation) stealing a nuclear warhead from a landbased silo.

Said landbased silo was on an island in the Pacific Ocean.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
NO MORE NUKES (in comic shows season finales)!

Aphrodite posted:

He's right that Daredevil sucked and was boring, but that's all after what he's seen up to.

Yeah, after. Before that was freaking awesome and if he thought that was boring then he might be braindead

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Tiggum posted:

Agent Carter was loving fantastic. I'm pretty pissed it didn't get renewed.

I mean, i know nobody watched it, but it was seriously good.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Post S1, Agents of SHIELD legitimately has some of the most well-constructed season-long plots of any show currently on television. Dead serious. Each half-season spends its episodes laying out the pieces, themes, and players on the field with some pretty solid standalone episodes. And then the finales just come in and bring it all home. All the pieces come into play, all the promises made by the earlier episodes are fulfilled, and we get just enough of a tease for the next arc. It's super satisfying. If Arrow and Flash's slapdash nature frustrates you, AoS might be right up your alley. If nothing else, you can tell it is a show made by genuine professionals who know how to lay out their plots in advance and write consistent, steady development.

To compare it with Arrow, AoS just killed off a main cast member in the S3 finale, but no one complained about the death. It wasn't that nobody liked the character, just that the death was done in a way that served both the other characters and the season's overarching themes, while giving the dying character a satisfying send-off. The complete antithesis of Laurel.

AoS is good, y'all.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

CornHolio posted:

Agent Carter was loving fantastic. I'm pretty pissed it didn't get renewed.

I mean, i know nobody watched it, but it was seriously good.

Was season 2 of Agent Carter as good as the first? I missed it and might catch up this summer.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Spacebump posted:

Was season 2 of Agent Carter as good as the first? I missed it and might catch up this summer.

Nope, It was still decent, but no where near as good as the first season

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Spergatory posted:

To compare it with Arrow, AoS just killed off a main cast member in the S3 finale, but no one complained about the death. It wasn't that nobody liked the character, just that the death was done in a way that served both the other characters and the season's overarching themes, while giving the dying character a satisfying send-off. The complete antithesis of Laurel.

AoS is good, y'all.

No one complained because no one gives a gently caress about Lincoln.

lol if you thought an actual main character would die.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No one complained because no one gives a gently caress about Lincoln.

lol if you thought an actual main character would die.

We're talking about Squidward here.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Party Plane Jones posted:

Oh how shocking the villain died!

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Party Plane Jones posted:

Who had been one of the best characters for 2+ seasons at that point.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Dexo posted:

Nope, It was still decent, but no where near as good as the first season

I'll take the opposite stance here and say it was even better than the first season. The supporting cast had more characterization and more to do in general, and I thought the villain was an inspired reinterpretation of an existing Marvel villain (and of a real person) in a way that worked really well with the themes of the show.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Oh how shocking the villain died!

It's kind of shocking when that villain has been a recurring character for three seasons, though.

Argue posted:

I'll take the opposite stance here and say it was even better than the first season. The supporting cast had more characterization and more to do in general, and I thought the villain was an inspired reinterpretation of an existing Marvel villain (and of a real person) in a way that worked really well with the themes of the show.

All of that being true, it didn't come together nearly as well story-wise as the previous season, and the climax was a definite damp squib.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's funny how everyone has forgotten the all over the place, disjointed, where is this going? feel of the first 9 or so episodes of this season of SHIELD already.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Aphrodite posted:

It's funny how everyone has forgotten the all over the place, disjointed, where is this going? feel of the first 9 or so episodes of this season of SHIELD already.

And all of those seemingly disjointed individual arcs and plots ended up coming together at the end with the Hydra/Hive reveal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dexo posted:

And all of those seemingly disjointed individual arcs and plots ended up coming together at the end with the Hydra/Hive reveal.

That was not executed well either. Instead of depicting anything, Powers Boothe sat in a dark room and monologued it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

That was not executed well either. Instead of depicting anything, Powers Boothe sat in a dark room and monologued it.

They did show it, they just also had Powers Boothe spell it out because a) some people are dumb and b) if you have Powers Boothe you're damned well going to have him explain things in his Powers Boothe voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Getting back to Arrow, this was the first episode where (even after all this) I just couldn't sit all the way through. I must have watched it in 5 parts, pausing every ten minutes or so to make a drink, have some food, go shopping. Hell, I didn't even watch it all the same day, and that rarely happens even with some of the other [terrible] shows I watch.

Haven't caught up with The Flash yet, so I don't know if imminent global thermonuclear war was referenced there (though probably not).

Of all the things been mentioned, I was disappointed The Calculator didn't make a return, to help save the day considering he left Felicity's flat about 2 minutes before Dahrk turned up.

• Locked thread