Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Helsing posted:

Now that I think about it Diablo I's backstory was about a corrupt king unleashing an ancient evil.

:psyduck:

Is there a single Blizzard game that isn't about corruption?

Overwatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I hear so much about corruption in this and other blizzard threads that the word has lost all meaning to me.

The corruption has taken hold of you.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Blizzard does overuse corruption but angry fans who hate the thing they love also overuse the term and say that anyone who becomes a bad guy is corrupted.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
If you started as a good guy but you "become" a bad guy, specifically due to evil magic / psychic energy / genetic mutation, then "corruption" seems like a pretty apt term.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I haven't really followed this Blizz story talk but really it seems people just don't like the writing in general and choose to complain about "corruption". Why can't it be a statement about how the world is inherently fallen, both ours and Blizzards. Greed destroys us and the Old Gods destroy the rest.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If you wanna talk about corruption, look at some warhammer stuff. Space Marines just can't shut up about it!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

King Leoric in Diablo 1 and His son in Diablo 2 as well.

the boy who turns into diablo in the first game was leoric's son (ONLY son). the warrior of 1 - who becomes diablo in 2 - being his son also is a dumb retcon.

also how could you have a half orc/half human...they don't even come from the same dimension!

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Bitch tell me a good tattoo parlor right now and... I'll think about getting The Mark of Tzeentch tattooed, and then not do it.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Man, I typically trust Mark Kermode so this is confusing to me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

If you wanna talk about corruption, look at some warhammer stuff. Space Marines just can't shut up about it!

blizzard looked at a lot of warhammer stuff for sure

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vanderdeath posted:

Man, I typically trust Mark Kermode so this is confusing to me.

Mark Kermode is a loving prick with terrible opinions.

But Warcraft is a good movie.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Betrayal at Krondor 5 bucks on gog.com and still a great, great game after 22 years. (The sequel it's bundled with is not as much). Usually old games (RPGs in particular) have terrible user interfaces, but this one's holds up really well.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tenzarin posted:

Overwatch.

The instigating backstory event of overwatch is literally about how the black ops arm of the overwatch organization got greedy for power and recognition and Reaper decided to just tear the whole thing down if he couldn't have it for himself.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

mr. stefan posted:

The instigating backstory event of overwatch is literally about how the black ops arm of the overwatch organization got greedy for power and recognition and Reaper decided to just tear the whole thing down if he couldn't have it for himself.

That's not the same as the corruption people complain about though.

You can't call it corruption every time someone in a Blizzard game does a bad thing. Every loving story could fit into that mould.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

It's still very much a corruption plot though, it's just corruption by mundane greed and envy rather than mystical green horseshit, and even then the dude comes out of it with spooky badguy-coded superpowers

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

mr. stefan posted:

It's still very much a corruption plot though, it's just corruption by mundane greed and envy rather than mystical green horseshit,

Also the plot of Die Hard, Wolf of Wall Street, The Godfather, Citizen Kane, Toy Story 2 and Alien.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

It's still very much a corruption plot though, it's just corruption by mundane greed and envy rather than mystical green horseshit, and even then the dude comes out of it with spooky badguy-coded superpowers

I think this is why we need a different word than corruption

I don't think the politicians of Chicago are being mind controlled by a tentacle monster (though you never know)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
That's expanding it so much it becomes meaningless. When people talk about corruption and WoW, they're talking about all the characters who had no motivation for turning into a bad guy but did it anyway because they were corrupted by [whatever].

eg. the Green Dragons from vanilla where all nice until, to quote WoWWiki, they were "warped by a new dark power within the Emerald Dream". Motivation (greed, for example) doesn't enter into it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Also the plot of Die Hard, Wolf of Wall Street, The Godfather, Citizen Kane, Toy Story 2 and Alien.

Counterpoint: no it isn't

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Anything evil that didn't come out of the womb pure evil is corrupted, and even then it still is because how did that baby get so evil?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Helsing posted:

I'm embarrassed that I know this but you're overlooking both Sarah Kerrigan in Starcraft and whatever the name of that female Dark Templar leader from Brood War was. Hell, the entire terran plotline in Stracraft I involves the protagonist first leaving the Confederacy because it's corrupt and then allying with a rebel leader who also turns out to be corrupt. For that matter, the entire plot of Diablo II is about tracking down the corrupted former hero from Diablo I. And the entire arc of the human story in Warcraft III is also about corruption. Actually, as I think about it, I vaguely remember that in Warcraft the original Dark Portal was opened because of a corrupt human wizard.

Maybe it got even worse since Warcraft III, which is the last Blizzard game I played, but it was already a go-to plot device by the time Starcraft came out. Spiritual or political corruption are the ur-plot of seemingly every Blizzard game ever.

Political corruption really isn't the same thing as what we're talking about at all. We're talking about full on quasi-mind control magical corruption, which exists in the games, but A) isn't used primarily "to justify the faction fighting itself" as the dude claimed and B) tends to get more screen time and effort put into making it feel believable than in later iterations. Arthas' fall from grace is an entire campaign in and of itself. Hell even in Starcraft, Kerrigan ultimately (at least until Starcraft 2 retconned a bunch of stuff) isn't truly corrupted. She breaks free of the Overmind and is a terrible person on her own steam. Meanwhile in WoW people just spontaneously go off the deep end cuz gently caress we need a raid boss :effort:

Now admittedly, I wasn't including Diablo since I was responding to someone specifically citing corruption as being driven by the needs of RTS'. Diablo has been corruption top to bottom from the start, that's entirely true, but even Diablo has changed. Diablo 1 and 2 kept their lore and plot in the margins and did not give one whit whether you paid attention or not. Diablo 3 meanwhile couldn't stop itself from trying to force you to pay attention to a hamfest.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 28, 2016

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's pretty weird looking. It's too fake looking to be convincing but not nearly stylized enough to be interesting or striking.

The style is "video game cartoon". I can understand why some wouldn't like that, but I dig it. It makes the "they shoulda gone full cgi" complaints funny - they pretty much did!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Massive incredulity that it will be approached with anywhere near the respect it deserves in a PG-13 fantasy blockbuster.

Eh, I don't put much stock in the idea that genre movies are inappropriate places to portray serious issues. For example; while both films explore inter-racial adoption and football, Enemy Mine is leagues better than The Blind Side.

Whether Warcraft tells it well or not likely depends on how much of the story is that Metzen guy and how much is Jones. Recall how fantastically Moon and Source Code handled disturbing slavery.

Hakkesshu posted:

blizzard looked at a lot of warhammer stuff for sure

And D&D! which set the standard* for everything-and-a-race-of-chaotic-neutral-kitchen-sinks fantasy

*yes, I know it's a very low standard, I'm not arguing that Warcraft will be good here, I'm just hoping that it is

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

mr. stefan posted:

Counterpoint: no it isn't

Depends on your definition of "mystical green horseshit" is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Black Bones posted:

The style is "video game cartoon". I can understand why some wouldn't like that, but I dig it.

you have not good very taste then.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Meanwhile, back to the thread title, someone in another thread (greenlit? Phone posting so no multiple tabs) said warcraft is tracking to only make 25mil opening weekend. Not terrible but certainly not good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

effectual posted:

Meanwhile, back to the thread title, someone in another thread (greenlit? Phone posting so no multiple tabs) said warcraft is tracking to only make 25mil opening weekend. Not terrible but certainly not good.

It is pretty terrible when the official budget is $160 million (and it's almost certainly north of that), and either Variety or THR said that the marketing budget is close to $100 million. And Warcraft isn't a movie like James Bond or Superman where you can make a bunch of money back right off the top with product placement.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Enemy Mine really opened my eyes to inter racial adoption and football

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

That's a retcon. Originally Medivh was just bitter about his lot in life and saw the orc invasion as a way to get back at his old man.

The manual for Warcraft 1 explains that Medivh's powers made him go insane. It seems this theme really has been a staple of every one of their story-based campaigns. I wonder if Metzen ever had a drug addiction and "corruption" is his outlet for telling that story. I base this on the scientific observation that he looks and sounds like he's done drugs.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My dad was a security guard on Enemy Mine but only for the footage they ended up scrapping. I'm basically film industry royalty.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Toady posted:

The manual for Warcraft 1 explains that Medivh's powers made him go insane. It seems this theme really has been a staple of every one of their story-based campaigns. I wonder if Metzen ever had a drug addiction and "corruption" is his outlet for telling that story. I base this on the scientific observation that he looks and sounds like he's done drugs.

is doing. He looks and sounds like he is doing drugs.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

If there isnt a character in a clownsuit its not warcraft :colbert:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FreudianSlippers posted:

My dad was a security guard on Enemy Mine but only for the footage they ended up scrapping. I'm basically film industry royalty.

That's a pretty good movie for its budget, JCVD was great in it.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I don't have a problem with generic (if overused) gradual corruption like in their earlier games. Infested terrans are corrupt because of the zerg parasites, but it wasn't instant mind control. Medivh was supposedly corrupted because Sargeras infiltrated his mother and hitched a ride with the baby. Leoric was driven mad by his advisor and one of the actual devils whispering to him.

Then in Diablo 3 half of heaven is "corrupted" the instant Diablo enters.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

nimby posted:

Then in Diablo 3 half of heaven is "corrupted" the instant Diablo enters.

The literal devil is sort of a staple in corruption based fiction so I'd loving hope so.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Helsing posted:

Now that I think about it Diablo I's backstory was about a corrupt king unleashing an ancient evil.

:psyduck:

Is there a single Blizzard game that isn't about corruption?

So what you're saying is that the games have villains.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The big difference is that Blizzard went from corruption to 'Corruption'. That is, corruption being a slow process that revealed something about the character or characters involved (or, in the case of Mengsk, was that you and Raynor were suckers) to, essentially, a laser beam that the villain could use to turn people bad. Arthas is probably the first example of this kind of thing, but even he was damned by his behaviors and flaws, his need to protect his country at any cost.

Compare it to Legacy of the Void where Amon, the big bad Xel'Naga, just turns Protoss evil with glowing red eyes at a whim with no foreshadowing or gravitas. It's a light switch that the bad guy can throw so you can fight someone without any moral quandaries (just like how the Tal'Darim in SC2 are Evil Protoss invented purely so Raynor can fight Protoss) It's nothing like what happened with Kerrigan and the Dark Templar Matriarch.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Danish critic promises to quit if there's another Warcraft movie: https://translate.google.com/transl...28.9&edit-text=

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Groovelord Neato posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BvS is a great movie, and I look forward to the extened cut.

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's so cool! My dad . . . uh, he met Shaquille O'Neal once?

effectual posted:

That's a pretty good movie for its budget, JCVD was great in it.

That's a weird way to abbreviate 'Dennis Quaid'

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So what you're saying is that the games have villains.

They have a very specific kind of villain who is corrupted / corrupts others with evil magic or psychic energy and they really love introducing someone as an ally of the hero and then reintroducing them later as a minion of the villain. They also love to have slumbering ancient evils who it turns out have secretly been manipulating everyone as part of a master plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It turns out Blizzard writes pulpy dimestore fantasy fiction who knew. :shrug:

• Locked thread